[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

jimmydigital00

jimmydigital00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
M J
Can you tell me what the DSDT patcher does?
Does it something to do with the computers BIOS?
If so, does the fact that my MB has 2 bios's possibly causing this?

AiBear

AiBear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

of course I hadn't updated the associated filenam! it works now ;)

Thanks :) Gonna try it now, perhaps with the pin to help ;)

AiBear

AiBear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Thanks :) Gonna try it now, perhaps with the pin to help ;)

Well... I don't know *what* did it, especially if you only removed the graph drivers, but I was able to eject my disc normally with this boot. No idea why. Anyway - I'll be moving on now. Great thanks!! :D

jimmydigital00

jimmydigital00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I GOT IT!!!!!
I had to run
./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl -f

Dont know why but when I did that it created the files correctly.

So onto question #2
I cant get internet to work on this Rampage II Extreme
Any ideas?
I tried the file you have posted but did not work.

Frankenst1

Frankenst1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
"Image checksum error" -> RESOLVED

I'm unable to boot from that .iso. I get a "ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 isloniux: Image checksum error, sorry... Boot failed: press a key to retry..."

Solutions tried without success:
- Redownload .iso-file
- Reburn at low speed
- BIOS-Update
- Changed Master/Slave/CS-Status of IDE-Driver
- Recreate ISO with Slimbuild by adding files included in initrd.img (UPDATE -> will result in Mac OS Extenden Fileformat instead of ISO 9660?)
- UPDATE Open ISO-file in UltraISO (Windows) and renamed all files to lowercase has no effect

Any ideas?

Update: Fixed:
Open Generic BOOT 132-ISO in UltraISO (Windows) and replace content with items in this iso and rename to lowercase loads the bootloader.

lurscher

lurscher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
ok, this is what is happening for me;

specs: asus p6t deluxe 1102 BIOS version
sata hdd and sata optical drive
pny geforce 9800gt 1Gb
all bios options as you said
(otherwise it hangs after framebuffer with the 'MAC framework initialized .. 16384 blocks out of 4096 etc.')
(in the hdd there are three partitions, two of which are NTFS and have windows xp x64 pro)

booted with
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

btw, what does mean the 3 in disk1s3?

After this the boot starts, these pics show the relevant data:
Attached File  CIMG0980_small.JPG   740.73KB   215 downloads
it stood at this point nearly 20 minutes, i was about to give up...
Attached File  CIMG0981_small.JPG   757.23KB   163 downloads
... and just before i pressed reset, this showed up :)
Attached File  CIMG0982_small.JPG   235.04KB   103 downloads

but its been there for 50 minutes now, i don't think its going anywhere from here right? :angel:

hmm, what can i do now? really it would be nice to not have this splash screen but see some debug messages to know what the heck is going on..

suggestions?

vailancer

vailancer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
@lurscher
You have 3 partitions on your hdd and i assume partition 1 and 2 is NTFS? so the 3rd one is for the leopard?
So your hdd partition as MBR instead of GUID?
i really recommend installing leopard on different hdd.

johnathandoe

johnathandoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

ok, this is what is happening for me;

specs: asus p6t deluxe 1102 BIOS version
sata hdd and sata optical drive
pny geforce 9800gt 1Gb
all bios options as you said
(otherwise it hangs after framebuffer with the 'MAC framework initialized .. 16384 blocks out of 4096 etc.')
(in the hdd there are three partitions, two of which are NTFS and have windows xp x64 pro)

booted with
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

btw, what does mean the 3 in disk1s3?

After this the boot starts, these pics show the relevant data:
Attached File  CIMG0980_small.JPG   740.73KB   215 downloads
it stood at this point nearly 20 minutes, i was about to give up...
Attached File  CIMG0981_small.JPG   757.23KB   163 downloads
... and just before i pressed reset, this showed up ;)
Attached File  CIMG0982_small.JPG   235.04KB   103 downloads

but its been there for 50 minutes now, i don't think its going anywhere from here right? :)

hmm, what can i do now? really it would be nice to not have this splash screen but see some debug messages to know what the heck is going on..

suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with the splash screen lock-up. I just get the spinning beach ball too. I also tried the -x flag....same results.

BTW - @MJ thank you for fixing the .iso that seems to have solved my boot issue (now to solve the install issue) :P

- JD

AiBear

AiBear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

I'm having the same problem with the splash screen lock-up. I just get the spinning beach ball too. I also tried the -x flag....same results.

BTW - @MJ thank you for fixing the .iso that seems to have solved my boot issue (now to solve the install issue) :happymac:

- JD

In short: had the same issue yesterday.
After having had a kernel panic during boot, a waiting for root device, I finally was able to boot without the problems (at first I had another disk connected, which never led to problems before, but I disconnected it just to be sure)... Or so I thought. I let the system sit for a long time, but even with the usual boot duration with the alias problem, this was getting silly. Not sure what causes this, as we're not in verbose mode anymore ;)
Do you (M J) perhaps remember whether this happened to you as well?

Regards,
AiBear

lurscher

lurscher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

@lurscher
You have 3 partitions on your hdd and i assume partition 1 and 2 is NTFS? so the 3rd one is for the leopard?
So your hdd partition as MBR instead of GUID?
i really recommend installing leopard on different hdd.

yeah this is what i had in mind, but i really was thinking that the whole formatting and partititioning the hdd was going to follow during installation startup. Does this means i have to format the hdd by some other means before i start installation? does the isolinux image comes with fdisk?

AiBear

AiBear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

yeah this is what i had in mind, but i really was thinking that the whole formatting and partititioning the hdd was going to follow during installation startup. Does this means i have to format the hdd by some other means before i start installation? does the isolinux image comes with fdisk?

Actually, no, it doesn't refer to the hard drive, but to the optical drive. If you have only one disk in your setup, then it's disk0, whereas disk1 is the DVD in your drive. disk1s3 refers to the partition on which the installation files of OS X are on the Retail disc.
So don't worry about the partitioning, that will be done at a later stage, during setup. :rolleyes:

Frankenst1

Frankenst1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
"Still waiting for root device" => RESOLVED
rd=diskXs3 works for my original OS X DVD
rd=diskXs2 works for my backup

Waiting on [...] disk1s3 [...]

I wonder why it's waiting on disk1s3? By specifind rd=disk1s3 it means that it's the DVD-drive it should boot from, right? So while already booting from the drive it's still waiting on it? :rolleyes:

Attempts:
HDD SATA1 + DVD IDE1
HDD SATA1 + DVD SATA2
DVD SATA1 + HDD SATA2 (used rd=disk0s3 instead)
HDD SATA1 + HDD IDE1 + DVD IDE2
SATA Modes tested: AHCI/IDE/RAID

Any ideas?

M J

M J

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
@lurscher: You can format and partition your HD during the installation process (choose Utility... from the menu bar, then Disk utility... at the beginning of the installation). The thing is that you will have big problems if you want to keep your Win partitions... If you want to delete them and re-format the whole disk you will have no problem instead.

@Frankenst1: You have to specify the rd=diskXsY because you are telling the system to use a specific kernel on the CD, but then you want him to load the boot files from another partition in the DVD. With your configuration I would attach the HDD to the first SATA port on the MB and the DVD to any of the others (mine is on the 6th port). Then if you don't have any other drive attached your string would be rd=disk1s3. If your DVD is not original you can try with different numbers for the 's' instead.

@All those who get stuck at the spinning beachball: as I understand, you get stuck there before the installation right? I don't remember having a similar problem, I'll try it on my PC in a few minutes to see what happens with mine.

Frankenst1

Frankenst1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
@M J: Great Thx! I just cloned the OS X-DVD to a HDD and installations begins using diskXs2. Would be great if you could add it to your original post that the partition might defer when not using the original dvd. Let's see how far I get now :-) Thanks again for your support!

Update: Got not far.... also stuck right before installation starts with spinning beach ball...

M J

M J

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Can anybody try with a modified iso, taking away the seatbelt.kext and the appleSMBIOSEFI.kext, and let us know if it worked? The first one is taken from the 10.5.5, and it is needed to boot the 10.5.6 upgrade, while the second one is just for aesthetics, for showing up (fake) system information in the System Profiler. So no need for them at the installation, plus they could be causing some interference.

johnathandoe

johnathandoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

@All those who get stuck at the spinning beachball: as I understand, you get stuck there before the installation right? I don't remember having a similar problem, I'll try it on my PC in a few minutes to see what happens with mine.

Yes. It is before installation.

Frankenst1

Frankenst1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Worked, installation is going on! Beach ball defeated! :-)
How about meeting at irc #InsanelyMac?

johnathandoe

johnathandoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Worked, installation is going on! Beach ball defeated! :-)
How about meeting at irc #InsanelyMac?

What worked? What did you do?

Frankenst1

Frankenst1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Just what M J suggested, removed the two kext from the iso. You can easily create one with Slimbuild or if you don't want to wait for M Js update, try this one:

ASUS P6T-Deluxe Boot-132 v3*

*) misses seatbelt.kext and appleSMBIOSEFI.kext

P.S.: There's a message saying CPU-FSB multiplier missing, but doesn't seem to affect the installation yet, maybe we can add the according value via bootflag?

johnathandoe

johnathandoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Just what M J suggested, removed the two kext from the iso. You can easily create one with Slimbuild or if you don't want to wait for M Js update, try this one:

ASUS P6T-Deluxe Boot-132 v3*

*) misses seatbelt.kext and appleSMBIOSEFI.kext

P.S.: There's a message saying CPU-FSB multiplier missing, but doesn't seem to affect the installation yet, maybe we can add the according value via bootflag?

I'll try it. Thanks for posting the .iso

- JD

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy