[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

yeah this is what i had in mind, but i really was thinking that the whole formatting and partititioning the hdd was going to follow during installation startup. Does this means i have to format the hdd by some other means before i start installation? does the isolinux image comes with fdisk?

Actually, no, it doesn't refer to the hard drive, but to the optical drive. If you have only one disk in your setup, then it's disk0, whereas disk1 is the DVD in your drive. disk1s3 refers to the partition on which the installation files of OS X are on the Retail disc.

So don't worry about the partitioning, that will be done at a later stage, during setup. :rolleyes:

"Still waiting for root device" => RESOLVED

rd=diskXs3 works for my original OS X DVD

rd=diskXs2 works for my backup

Waiting on [...] disk1s3 [...]

I wonder why it's waiting on disk1s3? By specifind rd=disk1s3 it means that it's the DVD-drive it should boot from, right? So while already booting from the drive it's still waiting on it? :rolleyes:

Attempts:

HDD SATA1 + DVD IDE1

HDD SATA1 + DVD SATA2

DVD SATA1 + HDD SATA2 (used rd=disk0s3 instead)

HDD SATA1 + HDD IDE1 + DVD IDE2

SATA Modes tested: AHCI/IDE/RAID

Any ideas?

@lurscher: You can format and partition your HD during the installation process (choose Utility... from the menu bar, then Disk utility... at the beginning of the installation). The thing is that you will have big problems if you want to keep your Win partitions... If you want to delete them and re-format the whole disk you will have no problem instead.

@Frankenst1: You have to specify the rd=diskXsY because you are telling the system to use a specific kernel on the CD, but then you want him to load the boot files from another partition in the DVD. With your configuration I would attach the HDD to the first SATA port on the MB and the DVD to any of the others (mine is on the 6th port). Then if you don't have any other drive attached your string would be rd=disk1s3. If your DVD is not original you can try with different numbers for the 's' instead.

@All those who get stuck at the spinning beachball: as I understand, you get stuck there before the installation right? I don't remember having a similar problem, I'll try it on my PC in a few minutes to see what happens with mine.

@M J: Great Thx! I just cloned the OS X-DVD to a HDD and installations begins using diskXs2. Would be great if you could add it to your original post that the partition might defer when not using the original dvd. Let's see how far I get now :-) Thanks again for your support!

Update: Got not far.... also stuck right before installation starts with spinning beach ball...

Can anybody try with a modified iso, taking away the seatbelt.kext and the appleSMBIOSEFI.kext, and let us know if it worked? The first one is taken from the 10.5.5, and it is needed to boot the 10.5.6 upgrade, while the second one is just for aesthetics, for showing up (fake) system information in the System Profiler. So no need for them at the installation, plus they could be causing some interference.

Just what M J suggested, removed the two kext from the iso. You can easily create one with Slimbuild or if you don't want to wait for M Js update, try this one:

ASUS P6T-Deluxe Boot-132 v3*

*) misses seatbelt.kext and appleSMBIOSEFI.kext

P.S.: There's a message saying CPU-FSB multiplier missing, but doesn't seem to affect the installation yet, maybe we can add the according value via bootflag?

Just what M J suggested, removed the two kext from the iso. You can easily create one with Slimbuild or if you don't want to wait for M Js update, try this one:

P.S.: There's a message saying CPU-FSB multiplier missing, but doesn't seem to affect the installation yet, maybe we can add the according value via bootflag?

I'll try it. Thanks for posting the .iso

- JD

I got that error too actually but..well... core i7 CPUs DON'T have FSB any more! So without seatbelt that disc won't be able to boot 10.5.6 anymore, back to having 2 different iso's! I'll update the post tomorrow with everything that came out today.

No love with this iso, i get this KP:

post-338250-1231374904_thumb.jpg

is this the right md5? --> 0a483325387adb89873a70c8a4ec7c3a

mj, your retail dvd was 10.5.5? mine is 10.5.4

It's something about ACPI settings... Did you check your BIOS settings? Is your processor overclocked? Maybe you could try disabling the overclock, at least for the installation process.

If you can confirm that Frankenst1 iso is working, I'll update the post with that one.

Progress so far:

ISO without seatbealt and appleSMBIOSEFI created with Slimbuild*

- shows CPU/FSB-Multiplier missing but continues after pressing Y

- boots fine otherwise and starts installations

- adding appleSMBIOSEFI afterwards to /Volumes/EFI and DSDT-patching works fine as well (seatbealt still out)

*) seems that slimbuild is causing the problem with CPU/FSB - not the missing .kexts, @MJ: could you create a new one with your method?

Problems

- doesn't seem to load all .kext

- no LAN (can't see anything with Yukon2 in the output, although drivers installed as described)

- no gfx-card-support (9800GTX+, just default support, freezes at boot with NVINJECT)

- have to boot manually "bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 rd=disk0s2", seems neither to load boot.plist from EFI and /Library/Preferences/SystemSupport

Any ideas? How did you add the EFI-Strings for your card?

Update

- Tried to install without those two kexts above but boot afterwards with those two => boot freezes at configd: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

- Installation without those two kexts but adding both to EFI => KP at IOAHCISerialATAPI (AppleAHCIPort.cpp:2135)

I still haven't found a reason for the CPU/FSB problem. I had it even with my old iso's, but only after I tried a few of them. Don't know what's causing it, maybe one of the versions of kext included, or the boot file included... but pressing 'y' won't cause you any harm. It will go away when you do the "get rid of darwin prompt" section.

For the graphic card see here. I used the 9800GTX files, and they seem to be working great with the 9800GTX+. If you install the string delete any nvinject you have.

For the LAN, I just noticed I have a double entry, and I don't know which one is the one loaded. AppleYukon2 is already part of IONetworkingFamily.kext, the purpose of the "legacy" kext was that if you ever update the system, the IONetworkingFamily might get substituted but you will still have the Legacy to configures things right. So before we modify the IONetworkingFamily kext directly, try modifying the version numbers of the Legacy to a higher version then the one in IONetworking family. That should trick the system to load the Legacy instead of the original. If it doesn't work, then I think you'll have to modify the original AppleYukon2 with the infos you find in the Legacy. If that's the thing, tell me so that i can update the guide.

For the kernel, I also have multiple entries in my system... i tried different things and probably forgot to delete the old one, so I don't know which one is loading now. I just followed the instructions in the thread I linked to. It looks indeed that it's not reading the boot.plist file. Have you already updated to 10.5.6?

Another thing that's coming to my mind: maybe the kernel flag in the boot.plist file looks for the kernel in the wrong place? What happens if you copy mach_kernel.voodoo in the root of the main partition (disk0s2)?

Update: Two more possible approaches to the kernel thing:

1. Boot with "bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 rd=disk0s2", then download the kernel package from here and install it. This way the kernel should be perfectly integrated, but do this AFTER the upgrade or the kernel will be reconfigured.

2. Put that same line in the boot.plist file as kernel flags.

A consideration: choosing the second option is safer for the future, maybe. But for running certain apps, like VMWare, you might have to include the right System.kext in the EFi partition. Maybe the quicker way is to just install the XNU package, which will take care of everything, and forget about the kernel in the EFI partition. Just use it when you'll install next update to do the first boot.

@lurscher:

I get a kernel panic on booting, with the message “Cannot find driver for

platform ACPI”

This happens usually because you did not clear the caches after installing the

kernel. Please delete:

/System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

And then reboot with –f boot-flag. Please also ensure you are using an up-to-date

version of stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

@lurscher:

This happens usually because you did not clear the caches after installing the

kernel. Please delete:

/System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

And then reboot with –f boot-flag. Please also ensure you are using an up-to-date

version of stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

hmm, but this is happening at the first boot of disk1s3 (i.e: before actual installation begins), isn't what you are saying something that happens at the second boot to disk0sN after installation? (reading again i noticed i didn't said the KP was happening on first boot, my bad)

meanwhile, what im going to do - when i get home tonight - is create a new iso using your recipe to see if i get the same problem, and enumerate all options of ACPI i have in the bios

For the kernel, I also have multiple entries in my system... i tried different things and probably forgot to delete the old one, so I don't know which one is loading now. I just followed the instructions in the thread I linked to. It looks indeed that it's not reading the boot.plist file. Have you already updated to 10.5.6?

No, since I haven't got LAN working yet :-(

For the LAN, I just noticed I have a double entry, and I don't know which one is the one loaded. AppleYukon2 is already part of IONetworkingFamily.kext, the purpose of the "legacy" kext was that if you ever update the system, the IONetworkingFamily might get substituted but you will still have the Legacy to configures things right. So before we modify the IONetworkingFamily kext directly, try modifying the version numbers of the Legacy to a higher version then the one in IONetworking family. That should trick the system to load the Legacy instead of the original. If it doesn't work, then I think you'll have to modify the original AppleYukon2 with the infos you find in the Legacy. If that's the thing, tell me so that i can update the guide.

Update: Legacy already had higher versionnumber (3.0.10 vs 3.0.4) and setting it to 99 didn't change anything. Copied the relevant part to the original AppleYukon2.kext and it did show for sometime a Yukon: MAC-Adress in the boot-log and two ports (but without LAN-Cables) in the Network-Preferences. After a few boots, there's isn't event that anymore. Noticed that the LAN-port wouldn't even blink anymore. Will try to disable/enable in BIOS and try again.

Another thing that's coming to my mind: maybe the kernel flag in the boot.plist file looks for the kernel in the wrong place? What happens if you copy mach_kernel.voodoo in the root of the main partition (disk0s2)?

[...]

2. Put that same line in the boot.plist file as kernel flags.

Yep, that did work, just when I memorized the line :-) no more manually booting, great, thx.

A consideration: choosing the second option is safer for the future, maybe. But for running certain apps, like VMWare, you might have to include the right System.kext in the EFi partition. Maybe the quicker way is to just install the XNU package, which will take care of everything, and forget about the kernel in the EFI partition. Just use it when you'll install next update to do the first boot.

So, it's safe to just install the XNU package? Do I have to consider something special? Do I need to copy it from somewhere to the EFI partition or remove the kernel from the EFI partition?

For the graphic card see here. I used the 9800GTX files, and they seem to be working great with the 9800GTX+. If you install the string delete any nvinject you have.

I inserted the deviceproperty-string as suggested in the boot.plist, but it freezes on booting. No special error message observed.

So far

- installed from Retail with Boot-132 without seatbealt and AppleSMBIOSEFI

- installed DSDT-Patch and enabled HT + all cores

- installed EFI partition with added seatbelt and AppleSMBIOSEFI

- added mach_kernel.voodoo to root

- added "bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 rd=disk0s2" to boot.plist on EFI partition

ToDo

- get LAN to work

- get Video 9800GTX+ to work

- get USB-drives to mount not only when at least one is plugged in at boottiime

ok, i recreated the ISO basing from MJ MJ 132 boot image

and removing only seatbeat.kext and AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

basically i followed superhai method, but rm instead of cp;

mount oldiso

mkdir newiso

cp -R /Volumes/newiso newiso/

chmod 777 newiso/INITRD.IMG

hdiutil attach /newiso/INITRD.IMG

rm -rf /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/seatbelt.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

hdiutil detach /Volumes/initrd

hdiutil makehybrid -o newASUSp6t.iso newiso/ -iso -eltorito-boot newiso/ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot

and then to the oven

with this image, i still get the beachball death, but at least i'm not getting with Frankest1 iso, which is death nearly long before that

@Frankest1, i opened your initrd.img, and it seems you merged all the .kext into one .mkext, i'm not sure if that is what is affecting. but certainly you did more to your iso besides removing those two .kext

i attach my image so you can check it out

http://www.badongo.com/file/12814461

@M J; my bios settings;

no overclock; Ai tweaker with default factory settings

advanced->cpu configuration:

everything enabled except:

CPU ratio setting: [Auto]

Intel HT Techn..: [Disabled]

ActiveProcessCores: [1]

A20M : [Disabled]

C State package limit setting [Auto]

advanced->chipset settings->North Bridge Conf

PCI Express Selector [Auto]

advanced->chipset settings->Intel VT-d Configuration

Intel VT-d [Disabled]

power->Suspend Mode [Auto]

power->Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

power->ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

power->ACPI APIC support [Enabled]

power->APM Configuration->Restore on AC Power loss [Last state] (everything else is disabled)

boot->quick boot [enabled]

boot->full screen logo [enabled]

boot->AddOn ROM Display Mode [Force BIOS]

boot->Bootup Num-Lock [On]

boot->Wait For F1 If Error [Enabled]

boot->Hit DEL Message Display [Enabled]

I also get the same kernel panic as lurscher after entering the installer params. I dont see what would cause this :(

Check out this for the mkext:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=48

Anyone know why this is? When I open both v2 and v3 ISO's in Windows, I see the boot, cfg, etc.. in the root of the iso, but I burnt both and when I look at the disks in Mac, v2 looks the same but V3, only the initrd.img shows.

@Frank:

I suggest you install the XNU package only after the upgrade to 10.5.6, or it will be overwritten. Also, I meant that you need EITHER to put the voodoo kernel in the root, OR to put that string in the boot.plist :P that's some redundancy, but it's ok if it works!

There is another thing that should work: put the voodoo kernel in the EFI root directory (that's where it is already!), and add the System.kext that you find in the XNU package to the EFI kext. This way you should be set for programs like VMWare, that require the specific System.kext, AND you don't ahve to worry about future updates.

I can't help you with the graphic card, I followed that guide and it worked for me. If you can't get it to work, look for the nvinject made for 512MB nvidia graphics, in the nvinject site (don't have the url any more). Or install aqua-mac 9xxx series drivers...

The LAN has also a strange behavior... And USB as well. It's all working perfect in my installation... Can't you see the LAN device in Network Preferences? Do you see the firewire device? I know other users had similar issue in this forum, so it might not be related to this specific installation.

@lursc and nayr:

No idea what's happening with you. The only different thing seems to be the CPU. Maybe the multiplier has to be set differently? busratio=20 is right for the i7 920, the 965 might have a different mult.

i'll try that tonight, but i still don't understand why my iso and Frankest1 iso are so different; mine is just the same as M J's, except those two .kexts (seatbelt and AppleSMBiosEfi) while Frankest1 seems to be very different. I would like to know how Frankest1 created his iso from yours, maybe that will elucidate why is working for him and not for us

on edit: i agree with the bus ratio thing, its the only rational difference left out, i'll test it and let you know

no luck, i tried both my iso and frankest1 iso, (v3?) which i redownloaded and reburned (the md5 is still 0a483325387adb89873a70c8a4ec7c3a if you guys are interested in checking) with busratio=24 and no luck; my iso still gives me the beachball of death, and v3 gives me the same KP as before

so i guess we are at a dead end here?

no luck, i tried both my iso and frankest1 iso, (v3?) which i redownloaded and reburned (the md5 is still 0a483325387adb89873a70c8a4ec7c3a if you guys are interested in checking) with busratio=24 and no luck; my iso still gives me the beachball of death, and v3 gives me the same KP as before

so i guess we are at a dead end here?

The ISO was created using SlimBuild as I said above, your md5 is fine.

I installed several times now, seems to work fine here (with CPU/FSB-Multiplier-annoyance). No special BIOS settings (i7-920, 1102).

Cores + EFI-boot work, but still can't get neither LAN or gfx to work.... ;)

LAN:

- tried LegayAppleYukon2.kext, Yukon2.kext from OSX86-Tools Installer, seperate with higher version number and injected in AppleYukon2.kext within IONetworkingFamily.kext Did show "yukon: " followed by mac-adresses for a short time, but only with always disconnected LAN-cables in OS X Network preferences. Since then, no more yukon: in boot-logs. It's like the LAN-hardware is completely gone.

Graphics (Gainward 9800GTX+):

- tried created EFI String using gfxutil and osx86-driver-database and injected to boot.plist <device-properties/>, always freezing while booting

USB:

- will only mount USB-devices when at least one USB-device is plugged in at boot-time.

Everything pre-update.

@Frank: [...] Also, I meant that you need EITHER to put the voodoo kernel in the root, OR to put that string in the boot.plist :D that's some redundancy, but it's ok if it works!

Only works when I do both...

There is another thing that should work: put the voodoo kernel in the EFI root directory (that's where it is already!), and add the System.kext that you find in the XNU package to the EFI kext. This way you should be set for programs like VMWare, that require the specific System.kext, AND you don't ahve to worry about future updates.

Ok, I'll try that.

I can't help you with the graphic card, I followed that guide and it worked for me. If you can't get it to work, look for the nvinject made for 512MB nvidia graphics, in the nvinject site (don't have the url any more). Or install aqua-mac 9xxx series drivers...

Ok, I'll try that as well, really appreciate your help, Grazie!

The LAN has also a strange behavior... And USB as well. It's all working perfect in my installation... Can't you see the LAN device in Network Preferences? Do you see the firewire device? I know other users had similar issue in this forum, so it might not be related to this specific installation.

Only temporary, but when, then only with "LAN cable not connected".

Update: 2 Installations, 1x iDeneb 10.5.5, 1x Retail, iDeneb LAN works, Retails doesn't, after installation LAN-Port is active, after putting LegacyAppleYukon in, LAN-Port gets deactivated and won't work in iDeneb either!?

Messages while booting in iDeneb after trying to get Retail-LAN to work:

AppleYukon: Failed to get ACPI device, Transfer does not complete

Needed CMOS-Reset to get it back.

Yukon.kext from iDeneb in Retail-Installation has same problem, maybe it's ACPI-related?