Project: Installable DVD Patch

47 posts in this topic

Hehe, yeah, I'm going to work on one but I'm studying for my exams right now so I haven't got enough time.

My plans are to include other language packages in the DVD, so that  the installer asks what your language is and installs it or (if this is too hard) al least have it copied to the system.

Are the language packages already on the DVD? I didn't look...

But if they are, it's just a matter of modifying OSInstall.mpkg to install them.

Are the language packages already on the DVD?  I didn't look...

But if they are, it's just a matter of modifying OSInstall.mpkg to install them.

No, I don't think they are on the DVD, but I know people is installing them from Tiger for PPC DVD and it works. I haven't tried it yet.

No, I don't think they are on the DVD, but I know people is installing them from Tiger for PPC DVD and it works. I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah I saw those threads. Sounds like they only run with rosetta then, so you have to run all of your apps in rosetta/PPC mode. Not the best solution... but at least it gives some options.

Yeah I saw those threads.  Sounds like they only run with rosetta then, so you have to run all of your apps in rosetta/PPC mode.  Not the best solution... but at least it gives some options.

Oh, I thought language packages where just like text or something... Bad idea then, I wouldn't do it.

OK, i just patched my modified bender DVD with all the language packs from the retail Tiger DVD.

Burning it right now. Hope this will make the DVD Install precess in diff. language possible.

But i think the installed apps will still contain only the english language packs. Well, will see it in about 30 minutes, when DVD is burned and installed from that ;-)

Will keep ya informed.

Is there a tool for windows availabe, which is able to generate a patch by collecting the differences of two files ? I know there was one in the old Mac OS 9 days: just select the modified and the unmodified file and it will generate a patch for you. If there is, and i end up with success in my language project, i would use this one to generate a patch for those interested.

Stay tuned...

OK, i just patched my modified bender DVD with all the language packs from the retail Tiger DVD.

Burning it right now. Hope this will make the DVD Install precess in diff. language possible.

But i think the installed apps will still contain only the english language packs. Well, will see it in about 30 minutes, when DVD is burned and installed from that ;-)

Will keep ya informed.

Is there a tool for windows availabe, which is able to generate a patch by collecting the differences of two files ? I know there was one in the old Mac OS 9 days: just select the modified and the unmodified file and it will generate a patch for you. If there is, and i end up with success in my language project, i would use this one to generate a patch for those interested.

Stay tuned...

Uhm, how did you patch your image in the first place? PPF? That's the tool. :lol: Actually thats the windows version which only applies the differences.

And they are byte level differences... so your source image has to be the same as the one the ppf was made from.

You can find more info at http://www.paradogs.com/pdx_ppf3.htm

Uhm, how did you patch your image in the first place?  PPF?  That's the tool.  :lol:  Actually thats the windows version which only applies the differences.

And they are byte level differences... so your source image has to be the same as the one the ppf was made from.

You can find more info at http://www.paradogs.com/pdx_ppf3.htm

Ok, so i think PPF is my tool.

I patched your PPF_patched ISO-Image ;-)

So when it works, i could make a patch, that should run on the ISO which was patched by your

"testv3"-PPF-Patch. Also what i can do, is patch the original Phenix-DVD with your and my additions. should be easier for those, who didn't heard already of your patch (is this possible?)

Just let me keep ya informed, if my modifications just run smooth and then you all have the choice...

I patched your PPF_patched ISO-Image  ;-)

So when it works, i could make a patch, that should run on the ISO which was patched by your

"testv3"-PPF-Patch. Also what i can do, is patch the original Phenix-DVD with your and my additions. should be easier for those, who didn't heard already of your patch (is this possible?)

Just let me keep ya informed, if my modifications just run smooth and then you all have the choice...

keep your fingers crossed !

Time to reboot the newly created DVD...

I patched your PPF_patched ISO-Image  ;-)

The only way to do that would be to create a new PPF that would be based on the original phoneix dvd. But if you're talking about the DMG file, it's completely different than the one I based it on... so what you're goign to end up with probably is a 4GB ppf, something that will change almost every byte. Kinda useless then.

My "final" patch will be out soon (read: probably tonight). You may want to wait for that one. That one will have a somewhat cleaner install, fix some installation issues and such. look for a post about it tonight probably. br0adband is in charge of that part.

The only way to do that would be to create a new PPF that would be based on the original phoneix dvd.  But if you're talking about the DMG file, it's completely different than the one I based it on... so what you're goign to end up with probably is a 4GB ppf, something that will change almost every byte.  Kinda useless then.

My "final" patch will be out soon (read: probably tonight).  You may want to wait for that one.  That one will have a somewhat cleaner install, fix some installation issues and such.  look for a post about it tonight probably.  br0adband is in charge of that part.

I will stay tuned. I do nothing else the whole day, hahaha.

Just kidding...

just booting right now. guess what ? It does... NOT work. doodle. Installer still english.

Retail DVD is asking to install in which language first. So back to work, still enough to do ;-)

I will stay tuned. I do nothing else the whole day, hahaha.

Just kidding...

just booting right now. guess what ? It does... NOT work. doodle. Installer still english.

Retail DVD is asking to install in which language first. So back to work, still enough to do  ;-)

When you say the Retail DVD is asking to install in which language first...

You mean 10.4 Tiger made for PPC?

When you say the Retail DVD is asking to install in which language first...

You mean 10.4 Tiger made for PPC?

Yes, the retail PPC Mac Tiger 10.4 DVD.

When u boot this disc, it asks first, in which laguage you want to start the install process.

Take a look on this part of the file /etc/rc.cdrom:

if [ -e ${MINSTALL_CONF} ]; then

# no splash or lang chooser for autoinstalls

CatchExit=Minstaller

MINSTALL_LANG=`perl -e '$d .= $_ while(<>); $d =~ m|<key>[Ll]anguage</key>\W+<string>(\w+)</string>|m; print $1;' < ${MINSTALL_CONF}`

MINSTALL_LANG=${MINSTALL_LANG:-English}

/usr/bin/logger -t "" -p install.info "Launching the Installer using ${MINSTALL_CONF} file with language ${MINSTALL_LANG}."

${INSTALLER} \

-f ${MINSTALL_CONF} \

-AppleLanguages "(${MINSTALL_LANG})" \

${STDARGS} \

${EXTRAARGS} \

2>&1 | /usr/bin/logger -t "" -p install.warn

elif [ -f /etc/rc.cdrom.packagePath ]; then

/usr/bin/logger -t "" -p install.info "Launching the Language Chooser for a custom package"

${LAUNCH} ${INSTALLER} \

${STDARGS} \

${EXTRAARGS} \

"`head -1 /etc/rc.cdrom.packagePath`" \

else

export OS_INSTALL=1

/usr/bin/logger -t "" -p install.info "Launching the Language Chooser for an OS Install"

${LAUNCH} ${INSTALLER} \

-ReadVerifyMedia YES \

${STDARGS} \

${EXTRAARGS} \

/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg \

fi

This is the routine that starts this part before starting the Installer app in root/aplications.

I have not figured out, what it still looks for to get the command to start the language chooser.

Strange, but i think, i can make it. Hopefully...

I used ditto to extract/recompress Essentials Archive.pax.gz and mkbom to create a new Archive.bom. Now i also have a custom made patch which doesn't contains bad extensions and added the ps2/ac97/ioatafamily kexts from darwin. Since i have SSE3 cpu i don't need any other modifications except the known extension issues.

And i also rebuilt the whole install image from scratch using an mkisofs script. So it's about 3GB instead of 4.3GB.

And the most important thing. I made the Extensions.mkext for the dvd with the following method:

Extracted the Essentials Extensions, then removed IOATAFamily, ATI*, NVDA*, GeForce* kexts and added Darwin's IOATAFamily, ApplePS2Controller, AppleAC97Audio kexts. then created the new .mkext.

mdoehler made a new topic about this, but I decided it would be better off put into this topic, since so much work was already being done here!

Why don't we list everything we know about this so that we can finish working on an Install DVD ?

I have a lot of time on the forthcoming weekend and i would like to spend the time to help improving making a most valuable Install DVD. So it will be a good starting point to get a list

of all known problems today to make this DVD bottable for nearly all of us.

If i read the various topics i found a lot of good tips on how to make this or that work, like Audio AC97 or non-working usb-kb/mouse. So i think it would be nice, if we have good starting point, where we can read about the problem and a working solution, in example:

Problem: Non working Audio after installation

Solution: take AppleAC97AudioFamily.kext from Darwin CD and copy to Volume/System/Library/Extensions.

Et voila: you have Audio after reboot if u have AC97 compatible Hardware.

Like this.

And i will spend my time to find a solution to include the diff. language packs. They are not included in the orig. Dev. Install DVD, but they are included in the Retail DVD of Tiger, and they

don't need to be binaries, so there must be a way to include them in the Installer. I will compare the packages from retail DVD.

This is, what i can offer to help improving the next patch !

Btw. to make the necessarry extensions.kext file for the system/library folder you just need to collect all your necessarry extension on an installed, working system. Whenever you install/remove an extension, just delete your extensions.kext file and reboot. Mac OS X will compile

a new one for you on restart.

Thanx for your attention, any comment welcome...

I used ditto to extract/recompress Essentials Archive.pax.gz and mkbom to create a new Archive.bom. Now i also have a custom made patch which doesn't contains bad extensions and added the ps2/ac97/ioatafamily kexts from darwin. Since i have SSE3 cpu i don't need any other modifications except the known extension issues.

And i also rebuilt the whole install image from scratch using an mkisofs script. So it's about 3GB instead of 4.3GB.

And the most important thing. I made the Extensions.mkext for the dvd with the following method:

Extracted the Essentials Extensions, then removed IOATAFamily, ATI*, NVDA*, GeForce* kexts and added Darwin's IOATAFamily, ApplePS2Controller, AppleAC97Audio kexts. then created the new .mkext.

So you figured out how to get the Essentials archive.pax.gz compressed the right way... I didn't get past that, so just made my own packages. To me, it made more sense. It left the original files intact, which I thought was better.

Yeah I took the easy route at modifying the image, instead of creating a new one. But I was more after a 'patch' than having everyone redownload everything, another 2+gb file. Altho the new patch is about 150 megs RAR'ed up. But it will include all of my source work, packages, and such.

I'm "done". I've done about all I can with my knowledge. Now its time for others to take over. This was just a quick project for me, to see if I could do it. Got it done, turned my progress over to the community, and now I'm done.

New patch should be out tonight. Just fixes some issues. An official thread will probably be created by br0adband, and I will reply with some more info.

So if you all want to start on a new image, or use some of what I have created, have at it. I don't want or need any recognition... just do what you want with it.

Anyway, this will all be part of my post.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Finally I have my Laptop running OSX... Now please read this post about my driver related issues...

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=2886&hl=

Any help is enormously appreciated!

Thanks,

netboy007

---------------------------------------------

Hi Bender12,

I've just finished burning a bootable DVD using you/broadband's Release 1 guide. The MD5 sums in every step are right including the one of the final patched ISO.

I have tried many different ways to boot, none of them successful...

My HDD still having WinXP installed, I obtained a "Still Waiting for Root Device".

My HDD still having WinXP installed and using rd=disk0s1 command I obtained a Panic

My HDD completely formated, I obtained a "Still Waiting for Root Device"

My HDD completely formated and using rd=disk0s1 command I obtained the same Panic.

My computer is an HP zv5267LA Laptop. P4 (Northwood, SSE and SSE2 only) @ 2.8Ghz, 512Mb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP 128Mb Shared (VESA 2.0 Compatible), DVD+RW, 40Gb HDD.

Could you help me to make it work?

Many Thanks,

netboy007

bender I got your DVD but I can't install it on my SATA drives. I have a Dell 9100 with Intel chipset. I keep getting the "still waiting for root device". When I bypass the SATA, disk utility finds nothing but my dvd burner obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there..

Bender, great work! i tip my hat for u guys.

On my machine, at the first boot, i had to delete Chud*.* from the extensions folder to make they work.

Maybe on next release U move they to extensions.disabled (whatever)

Again great job.

See ya

:(

• 1 year later...

Hi, wich patch should i get to patch the discs that came with my mac to make them bootable on my PC ? There are so many of them! there are too many authors & file versions, so i'm kinda confused !!

any help would be greatly appreciated!