I have the same question.

Here is a rundown:

Intel Q6600

Asus Striker Extreme

Nvidia 8800GTS

Creative Live! 5.1

4gb of Ram

Sata HD, SATA DVDDrive

Can I update using Apple's update? Everything works perfect (except LAN which I'm working on) in my 10.5.5 installation

I have an AMD and Intel machine and did an update directly via Apple Software Update.

You just have to make sure you are running voodoo final kernel on amd or vanilla kernel on intel machines and everything will be just fine. The only thing needed is using seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 version if using voodoo so it is a good idea to back it up prior to the upgrade.

hi ive installed the iDeneb macos version 10.5.5

can i install the official 10.5.6 update?

It is definitely recommended that you backup your install before you do any type of updates. Even just backing up your Extensions holder and keeping it handy will help.

I second dani77zg about Seatbelt.kext If you have already updated and forgot to backup the 10.5.5. version you can extract it from the 10.5.5 combo update available on Apple's site. 10.5.6. version gave me kernel panics when trying to mount disk images DMGs.

I was not too impressed with what the update had to offer after reading the log however there are some apps which require it. iWork 09 is one.

Post your specs in your signature & you may want to post 10.5 related posts in the 10.5 section as it may get more responses.

I got a kernel panic as well updating from iDeneb 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 via standard update.

Tested with => MB ASUS P5B DELUXE + Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4 Ghz + nVidia 7600GT 256Mb + 2Gb RAM DDR3 + HDD SATA 500 Gb WD

PS: If u know how to solve without backup let me know thanks... I know I should have done LOL anyway I'm only testing the OS :-)

I got a kernel panic as well updating from iDeneb 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 via standard update.

Tested with => MB ASUS P5B DELUXE + Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4 Ghz + nVidia 7600GT 256Mb + 2Gb RAM DDR3 + HDD SATA 500 Gb WD

PS: If u know how to solve without backup let me know thanks... I know I should have done LOL anyway I'm only testing the OS :-)

If you are getting a kernel panic when opening disk images then seatbelt.kext 10.5.6. is probably the problem. Replace it with the one from 10.5.5 If you didn't back up your kexts you can extract it with Pacifist from the 10.5.5 combo update available on Apple's site.

Try downloading Firefox and mounting the image.

If you are getting a kernel panic when opening disk images then seatbelt.kext 10.5.6. is probably the problem. Replace it with the one from 10.5.5 If you didn't back up your kexts you can extract it with Pacifist from the 10.5.5 combo update available on Apple's site.

Try downloading Firefox and mounting the image.

Unfortunatelly i get at system start, it always says restart required so I only have WIN32 OS to access internet. I should boot with a CD and replace file manually but I don't have CD and I don't know command prompt syntax here. Thanks anyway I'll go for a new install.

I had iDeneb 1.3v installed on my computer and I was also trying to install 10.5.6 update... but whenever I used to do it it would give me a kernel panic and then gone i couldnt boot into my mac again.... I then installed the new Latest Voodoo Kernel on my intel D and then tried the update and it Worked and now i am able to run iWork 09 and everythings working good....

This is the link where you can get it...I installed the kernel through OSx86 tools...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139758

Hope it works for you...Enjoy

Unfortunatelly i get at system start, it always says restart required so I only have WIN32 OS to access internet. I should boot with a CD and replace file manually but I don't have CD and I don't know command prompt syntax here. Thanks anyway I'll go for a new install.

Just so that you know.

It is a good idea to keep a copy of your extensions folder, and maybe even your kernel, on a thumb drive. In the situation that you can not boot into OSX normally or in Safe Mode -x you can boot into Single User Mode -s and replace files with the original one.

Mounting the USB thumb drive.

Boot into Single User Mode without the USB thumb drive plugged in (use the boot-flag -s).

1. Allow for the modification of files by typing:

/sbin/mount -uw /

2. Make a directory in Volumes to mount to. We will call it "usbstick" by typing:

mkdir /Volumes/usbstick

3. Before we plug it in we need to make reference to what other drives we see in /dev by typing (You might want to write them down):

ls /dev/disk*

4. Now plug in the usb thumb drive, wait a second then look for a new addition by typing:

ls /dev/disk*

5. Now lets mount it. Lets say you there are two new additions disk4 & disk4s1. Type the following ( Replace disk4s1 with the new addition you discovered in the previous step. Replace msdos with hfs depending on how the usb thumb drive is formatted. If you use the drive on a PC too then it is msdos):

mount -t msdos /dev/disk4s1 /Volumes/usbstick

Then you can access your usb thumb drive at /Volumes/usbstick

Replacing files

Say for example you just replaced a kext called PROBLEM.kext to your Extensions folder and now are unable to boot regularly or in Safe Mode. If you have a backup on a thumb drive you can follow the steps above to get your USB thumb drive mounted and then do the following to replace the file.

1. Give yourself root privliges.

sudo -s

2. Remove the problem file.

rm -rF /System/Library/Extensions/PROBLEM.kext

3. Copy your backup. (Lets say you just dropped the Extensions folder into the root of your USB thumbdrive.)

cp -r /Volumes/usbstick/Extensions/PROBLEM.kext /System/Library/Extensions/PROBLEM.kext

4. Set the proper permissions to the extensions folder. (Press enter after each line)

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

5. Remove the cache file to force OSX to rebuild it with the file you replaced.

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

Just so that you know.

It is a good idea to keep a copy of your extensions folder, and maybe even your kernel, on a thumb drive. In the situation that you can not boot into OSX normally or in Safe Mode -x you can boot into Single User Mode -s and replace files with the original one.

Mounting the USB thumb drive.

Boot into Single User Mode without the USB thumb drive plugged in (use the boot-flag -s).

1. Allow for the modification of files by typing:

/sbin/mount -uw /

2. Make a directory in Volumes to mount to. We will call it "usbstick" by typing:

mkdir /Volumes/usbstick

3. Before we plug it in we need to make reference to what other drives we see in /dev by typing (You might want to write them down):

ls /dev/disk*

4. Now plug in the usb thumb drive, wait a second then look for a new addition by typing:

ls /dev/disk*

5. Now lets mount it. Lets say you there are two new additions disk4 & disk4s1. Type the following ( Replace disk4s1 with the new addition you discovered in the previous step. Replace msdos with hfs depending on how the usb thumb drive is formatted. If you use the drive on a PC too then it is msdos):

mount -t msdos /dev/disk4s1 /Volumes/usbstick

Then you can access your usb thumb drive at /Volumes/usbstick

Replacing files

Say for example you just replaced a kext called PROBLEM.kext to your Extensions folder and now are unable to boot regularly or in Safe Mode. If you have a backup on a thumb drive you can follow the steps above to get your USB thumb drive mounted and then do the following to replace the file.

1. Give yourself root privliges.

sudo -s

2. Remove the problem file.

rm -rF /System/Library/Extensions/PROBLEM.kext

3. Copy your backup. (Lets say you just dropped the Extensions folder into the root of your USB thumbdrive.)

cp -r /Volumes/usbstick/Extensions/PROBLEM.kext /System/Library/Extensions/PROBLEM.kext

4. Set the proper permissions to the extensions folder. (Press enter after each line)

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

5. Remove the cache file to force OSX to rebuild it with the file you replaced.

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

This is one of the most usefull and informative posts I've seen to date. ;)

I just wish I had come across it two days ago... :)

Cheers!

So here's my question.

I have iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 I want to upgrade to 10.5.6

I chose almost all standard settings for the installation of 10.5.5 (don't think I have any special kernels installed)

After backing up extensions and kernel should I just run the Apple updater or should I install some kind of kernel?

Kind of a noob so I was hoping for detailed instructions:

I have a intel q6600

4gb of ram

Asus Striker Extreme

• 2 weeks later...

My story about updating iDeneb is a little bit crazy :) [vanilla kernel]

I made a backup of my extensions and run the software update.

At 85 % I got a black screen - not KP - and waited to see what was going on.

The system restarted and it booted right and made the usual restart after you set an update.

In the second restart all was fine, except for the sound [alc883 via spdif]. I didn't really care to

restore the file, I used the AppleHDAPatcher and finally after the restart I was back to normal with the 10.5.6 installed [seatbelt and system are 10.5.6 I don't have issues with dmg's]. Check my hardware in my sign

My story about updating iDeneb is a little bit crazy :) [vanilla kernel]

I made a backup of my extensions and run the software update.

At 85 % I got a black screen - not KP - and waited to see what was going on.

The system restarted and it booted right and made the usual restart after you set an update.

In the second restart all was fine, except for the sound [alc883 via spdif]. I didn't really care to

restore the file, I used the AppleHDAPatcher and finally after the restart I was back to normal with the 10.5.6 installed [seatbelt and system are 10.5.6 I don't have issues with dmg's]. Check my hardware in my sign

Yep running Vanilla Kernel is nice. ;)

I don't have much experience with osx86 on laptops but I do have a netbook and found a patch to correctly display my battery life.

Thanks for your answer.

At the moment i'm quit happy with my dv9780ez, so far (thanks to Insanelymac "family") i was able to boot, install and run Leopard from, Kalyway, iAtkos, Jas, XxX, iPC and iDeneb.

All under Vanilla kernel till the latest version and without any bios mod at all.... of course with some extra patch...

my next step is to buy a retail dvd and fly to my highest adventure :D ,when i can find a fool proof guide to do it...

you know, i'm just a noob with a good laptop and some luck...

cheers :)

I am partial to Munky's EFI partition method. http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/howto-efi-p...talls-on-t1609/

Thanks for your answer.

In fact i read a couple of guides until now,in and out this forum...

Even being a noob, i just have to trust my lappy and the fact is, i'm writing from it with full Vanilla Retail 10.5.6 on it. :(

Once again, no Bios mod, just some extra kext's.

Just going to edit my sig...

Thanks again

;)

My first ever try with OSX86 was with iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5(With nForce patch)....97% worked without a hitch (had to install eno's nforceLAN drivers for internet to work, and for some reason it doesn't detect my DVDRom...even though it installed with it, and can't get sound to work)

I had a sudden urge to see if the 10.5.6 patch from Apple would work, so after reading a bit, I gave it a go.

First, used PCWIZ's DSDT Patcher and then used the disabler kext before I installed. Install went fine and then restarted into 10.5.6, piece of cake really.

Hardware: ASUS P5N73-AM (nforce 650i) Mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 3.0GHz, 2GB DDR2 OCZ @ 800MHz, nvidia 9800 GT 512mb

Flawless Victory.

• 2 months later...

I'm deciding whether to update my iDeneb 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 via the Mac OS X update. Though the last time I attempted this type of update I had to reinstall the iDeneb. Is it possible for me to do this without having to reinstall an entirely new iDeneb 10.5.6 instead?

post-294319-1241289501_thumb.png

post-294319-1241289520_thumb.png

post-294319-1241289977_thumb.png