Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

I have added several more warnings to my instructions posted on the last page.

If for whatever reason Mac OS X has not detected the EFI partition, or if it has given it a different number (other than 1), then my instructions for reinstating the EFI partition will cause you to format your Mac OS X partition.

You've been warned. Please don't do this unless you know what you're doing, or don't care about your data.

alex, i would to your instructions the command

gpt show disk0

this way they can see where the efi is.

i also found out what happened with mine, somehow windows gave it an mbr. i erased the entire drive, formatted it to one partition to get it back to gpt, then partitioned. however, once vista formats the fat32 disk it will no longer load it, even with restars.

did you encounter this problem.

im getting closer....

No, not a problem I experienced.

Another way to destroy your MBR:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0 bs=512 count=1

This leaves the data from the partitions in place. So if you want to (and this is something I did once), you can write down all of the parameters of your partitions (from gpt show), run the command above to kill the MBR, run gpt destroy to kill the GPT, and then redefine all of your partitions manually. If you get it even slightly wrong though, you'll have lost all of your data. I had to do this once when things got really screwy!

Your suggestion of gpt show will indeed show people what the GPT records as the EFI partition's index number. However, I have seen two cases where GPT partition 1 was not seen by OS X, GPT partition 2 was mapped to disk0s1, and GPT partition 3 was mapped to disk0s2.

The result is that operations on disk0s1 don't occur on GPT partition 1 (the EFI partition), but occur to your first data partition. Bye bye data!

I can't recreate this condition on my system any more (although it happened once), so don't yet know the cause.

im going to try formatting the disk with the xp setup, that way vista can just install right on it. after vista formatted the disk to ntfs my gpt had pmbr on the first line. so, its actually changes the table. not sure if you installed straight into a windows xp partition, but maybe this is why our results vary.

ah, and my windows install disc finishes burning.

Well starting the experimentation and trouble shooting process now helps for the future when the final is released. Think of this as a beta program for vista on the imac. Once its released any quirks (if any) will probably be worked out and people can just install, tweak, and run.

I got Vista installed by doing the following. Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, etc.

1) Boot to the Vista DVD.

2) When I got to the "Choose a drive to install to" page, pressed "advanced" (or "more drive info" or whatever it's called).

3) Selected the first partition (200MB unknown partition), this was the EFI partition.

4) Pressed "delete."

5) Selected the Windows partition to install to.

From there Vista took about an hour to install on my build. After the first reboot it came back with a "Could not find Winload.exe" error.

To fix that, I booted to the DVD again and selected "recovery options" - it said "Your startup information is invalid, click Repair And Restart to fix it".

On the next reboot it worked fine.

No Glass on the Mini yet, as the included Intel Lakeport driver doesn't seem to work at least for me when I force it. The hardware should fully support Glass if I'm reading Intel's documentation correctly. We just need to wait til there's a working WDDM driver for it.

I got Vista installed by doing the following. Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, etc.

1) Boot to the Vista DVD.

2) When I got to the "Choose a drive to install to" page, pressed "advanced" (or "more drive info" or whatever it's called).

3) Selected the first partition (200MB unknown partition), this was the EFI partition.

4) Pressed "delete."

5) Selected the Windows partition to install to.

From there Vista took about an hour to install on my build. After the first reboot it came back with a "Could not find Winload.exe" error.

To fix that, I booted to the DVD again and selected "recovery options" - it said "Your startup information is invalid, click Repair And Restart to fix it".

On the next reboot it worked fine.

No Glass on the Mini yet, as the included Intel Lakeport driver doesn't seem to work at least for me when I force it. The hardware should fully support Glass if I'm reading Intel's documentation correctly. We just need to wait til there's a working WDDM driver for it.

what version of vista did you install successfully on your mini?

5308 or 5342?

Err, umm... a different one :gathering:

Could be Brandon that the latest idw drops don't have the same problems as 5342 or 5308 in repairing winload.exe. I am going to try your way now to see if it works on the March refresh build, and if not we'll have to wait until the April CTP (if indeed it has been fixed). Thanks for the input!

Question... Does Vista have to be activated to use Aero Glass? I installed the ati drivers and the screen resolution has been fixed, but I still can't figure the Glass out. Any tips?

After installing the drivers and restarting try doing the 'rate my system' thing under the performance control panel page...

After installing the X1600 drivers it still had my MacBook pegged as a '1'. So I re-did the performace test and it gave it a 3, yay... but after that I logged off/logged back in and had full glass effects.

Activation shouldn't matter, mine isn't activated and Glass works.

there are things keeping me from buying a mac to put vista on it

first, I am sure it wont have a built in cable card

second I dont belive that the video card will be Direct X 10, meaning no new games at the time

will the chip be 64 bit? Unlikly, this may be the sole reason because microsoft said that they will e movine to 64 duiring vista so i dont wanna be left out

Does anyone know how to get the startup disk control panel app installed on Vista so that you can reboot into os x?

I tried running the driver disk in XP sp 2 compatibility mode but it crapped out in the middle of install.

there are things keeping me from buying a mac to put vista on it

first, I am sure it wont have a built in cable card

second I dont belive that the video card will be Direct X 10, meaning no new games at the time

will the chip be 64 bit? Unlikly, this may be the sole reason because microsoft said that they will e movine to 64 duiring vista so i dont wanna be left out

Well at least we know from intel that the new 64 bit CPUs due out later this year should be compatible with the imac and mac minis so anyone brave enough to tear open their systems could upgrade at a later date (of course its may just be better to sell the old system and pick up a new system running the 64 bit cpu instead when released).

I just tried to install windows vista build 5365 on my intel 20' imac, but during the installation of the setup files I got this error message:

"an error occurred while copying setup files onto your local machine. error code is [80070241]."

I tried a 2nd time (delete the 200MB partition), but it happened again.

does anyone know what is causing this?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got 5384 dual booting nicely on the MacBook Pro. Plugged in to eth, and it grabbed the wifi drivers. Even downloaded the latest ATI drivers (from 7/31/2006?!?!) and glass looks great. The XP reg edit to fix the clock seems to work in Vista as well.

Bluetooth, iSight and sound look like they'll take some more effort... and I'm tired.

Thanks, Brandon for the direction. (the rest of you too)

I think I can get used to this. It makes Windows as pretty as MacOS. Flip 3d is already growing on me...

I'm trying to plan a safe way to do this but I know nothing about GPT and therefore couldn't restore the EFI partition if needed. Also, I use a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse so having them not function could be a problem (I have a USB keyboard and mouse but both are very old and barely functional).

Tell me if you get bluetooth functioning or have foolproof instructions for rebuilding the EFI partition.

i have vista on my macbook and instaled drive gma 950 driver that came with it and that runs 1280x800 fine, but i cant get aero glass, my performance rateing is a 2 and i'm fully activated i've seen refrence to some wwcd or whatever driver though cant find a copy of it any ideas?