Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

i tried installing vista, removing only the efi partition. horrible time. seemed to go ok at first, i got an error on the restart but recovery options fixed it. then the second part of the installer froze. but i guess it finsihed most to all, cause it would semi boot. i could boot in safe mode every time. but when i boot regular 95% of the time it would hang for a ridiculously long time at setting up your desktop. tried all kinds of things in safe mode to fix it.

not sure if it was just my build or not.

o well, xp with the vista wndowsblinds skin isnt too bad :)

used build 5342.

From past experience I have found you will have to turn off Glass (Control-Shift-F9) or install Windows XP graphics drivers to run games or OpenGL applications.

yea i tried that before...but vista with no glass...is well..... windowx xp =)

so how does vista run with glass enabled say compared to OSX ?

some sort of feedback coparison would be great as to its general responsivness etc would be appreciated and did you mention your system specs (cant check while writing a reply can i !)

thanks

...How did you "remove" the partition, with DiskUtility under OSX?...

I didn't. I used the gpt command.

I am currently writing the instructions to remove the EFI partition and later replace it.

In order to check that I'm giving you guys the right instructions, I need to run through the procedure again to remember all of the steps (I can remember the most important parts, but I need to double-check whether or not the EFI partition format stage could cause some issues (like accidental erasure of OS X partition!)).

I'll pick up my install DVD from home later today, and will post the full instructions within the next few hours.

OK, I've double-checked my method, and here it is:

I give no guarantee that the following instructions won't cause damage to your partitions. Changing partitions is always risky. Capitalisation is important throughout. Always read the label.

edit: I have reason to believe that these instructions do not work in every case. It seems that Mac OS X does not always number the partitions in the same way as the example below. In which case, you must use some method to check which partition number is your EFI partition before the format stage. I suggest you mount partitions 2 and 3 first to check that partition 1 is indeed EFI. If you don't know what any of this means, then don't do anything below!

A few warnings about a "suspicious MBR" may appear throughout this process. This is nothing to worry about.

1. Boot from install DVD, in single-user mode:

a ) Insert DVD.

b ) Boot system with option key held.

c ) Highlight the install DVD, but don't yet click the start arrow.

d ) Hold command-s, and click the start arrow (whilst still holding the keys).

2. Do not mount the hard disks (as suggested by the last lines of the boot sequence).

3. To remove the EFI partition:

a ) Type: gpt remove -i 1

b ) Press enter.

c ) Type: reboot

d ) Press enter. (Your system will reboot, and you can continue to do whatever it was you were going to do - like install Vista, for example.)

If you wish to reinstate the EFI partition:

1. Boot from the install DVD using the instructions in steps 1 and 2 above.

2. To replace the EFI partition:

a ) Type: gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t efi /dev/disk0

b ) Press enter.

c ) Type: reboot

d ) Press enter. (Your system will reboot, but you must now again enter install DVD single-user mode, using the instructions above)

e ) Type: newfs_msdos -F 32 /dev/disk0s1

f ) Press enter.

g ) Type: reboot

h ) Press enter. (Your system will reboot, and the process is complete.)

I hope this helps for everyone.

so how does vista run with glass enabled say compared to OSX ?

some sort of feedback coparison would be great as to its general responsivness etc would be appreciated and did you mention your system specs (cant check while writing a reply can i !)

thanks

Well Vista with Glass enabled doesn't run any slower than OS X - you can't really compare the two because Windows XP is fast anyway on the iMac, and Vista now is just as fast but also sends the UI drawing to the graphics card making it even faster. Yes there is much bloat/etc to counteract that effect, but Vista is perfectly fast on the iMac.

My iMac is the baseline 17" model (1.83GHz Dual, 512MB RAM, 128MB Graphics).

XP looks so much better running on an apple.

Random question, how exactly are you able to get a copy of Vista when it's not even out yet.

I thought it was still in the Beta stage. Then again I'm not keeping too up to date with this stuff. <_<

Keep up the great work guys.

Random question, how exactly are you able to get a copy of Vista when it's not even out yet.

I thought it was still in the Beta stage. Then again I'm not keeping too up to date with this stuff. <_>

Some people have access to the beta. :happymac:

I'm already in the middle of a PM-exchange with someone who has hosed their partitions through incorrectly following my method.

Please, please, please do not alter your partitions if you have no understanding of what to do if something may go wrong!

If you don't understand what it is my instructions do (rather than just copying them) then you probably shouldn't be doing this.

question alex, why cant you just delete the efi partition in the vista installer. what is the difference of using gpt. like i said before, thats what i did, but the installer ends up hanging, and vista semi boots, but horribly slow.

Not sure.

One thought is that I believe the CSM actually provides a fake MBR to Windows. If this is the case, then any changes to the partitions during Windows setup would occur to this fake MBR, and not properly be transferred to the GPT.

that would make sense, except that once i deleted it windows no longer sees it if i try and reinstall.

hmmm.

maybe it just deletes the fake.

what command can i use in osx to see my partitions, not familiar with termnal just yet.

edit

used diskutil list. efi doesnt show up, just osx and windows. is that typical that its hidden? or did windows actually delete it correctly.

that would make sense, except that once i deleted it windows no longer sees it if i try and reinstall.

hmmm.

maybe it just deletes the fake.

what command can i use in osx to see my partitions, not familiar with termnal just yet.

edit

used diskutil list. efi doesnt show up, just osx and windows. is that typical that its hidden? or did windows actually delete it correctly.

It sounds like it's deleted properly then. Which Vista build are you trying to use? The install for 5432 is incredibly slow.

I thought it was still in the Beta stage. Then again I'm not keeping too up to date with this stuff. :blink:

Yes, there is a Vista testing group, around since Beta 1 last year.

Also, as far as I know Vista is also publicly available for download: http://www.jcxp.net/news.php?newsid=1249

yea its real slow. what ends up happening is the install goes black and the mouse freezes. actually i used to get the winload error, but last time i tried i used diskpart to set the windows partition active and that error didnt show up. gave me high hopes. it booted ok, but cpu usage is never below 50 and explorer is so unstable it crashes before i could even hope of trying to install drivers. ugh, maybe i need a new copy.

im gonna boot in single user and use gpt show command, just to make sure. i know the diskutility in osx used to show my efi partition, ever since the new firmware and 10.4.6 it hadnt, even when windows showed it.

Yes, there is a Vista testing group, around since Beta 1 last year.

Also, as far as I know Vista is also publicly available for download: http://www.jcxp.net/news.php?newsid=1249

dont use 5308 it wont load keyboard or mouse on my imac. (even redownlaod to check)

5270 also doesnt work.

just tryin to save some time.

yea its real slow. what ends up happening is the install goes black and the mouse freezes. actually i used to get the winload error, but last time i tried i used diskpart to set the windows partition active and that error didnt show up. gave me high hopes. it booted ok, but cpu usage is never below 50 and explorer is so unstable it crashes before i could even hope of trying to install drivers. ugh, maybe i need a new copy.

im gonna boot in single user and use gpt show command, just to make sure. i know the diskutility in osx used to show my efi partition, ever since the new firmware and 10.4.6 it hadnt, even when windows showed it.

dont use 5308 it wont load keyboard or mouse on my imac. (even redownlaod to check)

5270 also doesnt work.

just tryin to save some time.

Did you try unplugging the keyboard/mouse and plugging it back in? That worked for me in 5270, didn't try 5308.

yea tried it a bunch of times, even plugged in 2 other sets of keyboard and mice. it just doesnt like them i guess.

5270 loads, but you get a kernel error upon the first reboot that cant be repaired, not by conventional means anyway.

That's weird... my first couple of shots were of 5270 on the iMac. The better quality shots are of 5342. I'm partitioning my drive again so I can dual boot OS X and Vista. I've set up two partitions, partition 1 is a 20GB DOS one, 2 is the Mac HFS+ disk. In the Vista setup I'll format the DOS one and use it.