• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

AirmanPika

AirmanPika

Windows Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
OK I managed to come to the same basic conclusion as some others that Vista was exploding because it didn't like either the way OSX partitioned the drive or that it wasn't the main partition. I haven't looked deeper into it yet. Anyway I went through the basic steps of installing bootcamp, the firmware, etc and then started the install. When you get to the section where it asks where to actually install vista....well here's the main problem...you delete all of them. Even OSX. Yes this isn't a dual boot solution (yet anyway) but it does allow vista to run. See update below...

Things I noticed: The drivers CD that apple has you make doesn't work. It starts installing, gets to about where it starts installing various drivers, installs the video ones, and then goes stupid, rolls back the changes, and says it errored out. I haven't tried to extract the MSI that has the driver packages so that I can manually do it yet. Also I installed the ATI Beta vista drivers and even though they install fine I don't get glass and 3d stuff explodes in my face too. I thought I read somewhere that someone did get glass going but I haven't yet.

Anyway thats it for now. Still doing half a dozen things at once. I'll post more later as I figure things out. Here's some pics.

UPDATE: Just so people aren't confused by this old post I believe Vista RTM works with Bootcamp 1.1.2. If you don't have the latest version installed or for some reason I am wrong you also can just delete the 200MB EFI partition and it should also work without killing OSX. You'll just loose the ability to remove vista later. You also can install vista as the only OS assuming you don't want OSX.

IF YOU ARE INSTALLING VISTA.... I recommend seeing this thread as it has a good step by step walkthrough for the drivers

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=38998

Also see the following page for a full install walkthrough

http://www.geocities.com/nja469/

Attached Files

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Great work, AirmanPika! I wrote something on our blog to let people know... and you're also on digg!

other

other

Other.

• Retired
  • 929 posts
Great work :censored2:

Now to work out a dual boot solution.

nevermind1331

nevermind1331

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
just a thought but....

i remember when i installed vista on a pc it put a ton of files on the other partitions of my drive. maybe its trying to write those files to the hfs partition, realizes it cant, then explodes (as you called it). maybe you can boot with hirens cd, hide the osx partition, then unhide it somehow, so vista doesnt try and put its own bootloader everywhere. just a thought.

id try it myself but im tired of reinstaling osx. parallels just bit me.

good work and good luck.

Alex Oughton

Alex Oughton

Trapped in my mac...

• Retired
  • 191 posts
I managed to install Vista a couple of days ago without removing OS X.

All you have to do is remove the 200 meg EFI partition. Without it, OS X still boots, and so will Vista.

This isn't without problems though, as Boot Camp then wouldn't allow me to later remove the Windows partition, claiming I needed a software update. The fix was to boot the Mac OS X install DVD in single-user mode, and replace the EFI partition using the gpt command (wasn't easy considering I'd not used GPT at all before, so I had some to learn).

After replacing the EFI partition, all was fine. I could remove the Vista partition, and OS X was never harmed. I didn't think to try if Vista still booted with the EFI partition replaced, but I expect it wouldn't.

abcslayer

abcslayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
To get Aero 3D fx working you should tweak the registry to enable it. (Just googling for it, now i'm not at home to send you my .reg file)
Shortcut tu manually turn off fx is: Shift + F9.
To make fx of windows (minimize or maximize..) us Shift + mouse click (like Mac?!!!)
Windows + Space make a fx like Alt + Tab in 3D style.

asticinzano

asticinzano

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just a quote from the MS Vista beta newsgroups.

"Go to a run prompt (winkey + R) and type: WinSat Aurora

let that run for a few seconds, log out and then back in and you should have
DWM."

Worked well for my Notebook with GeForce FX 5600go. Uncheked the 'compatible drivers' box and used the driver for FX 5600. Maybe it will work for your Macinteltoshes as well.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
That's so sad. For some reason I think we might be seeing Macs shipped like this. :)

Jauhari

Jauhari

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
This really great work :D

You are ROCKS!!!

AirmanPika

AirmanPika

Windows Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

All you have to do is remove the 200 meg EFI partition. Without it, OS X still boots, and so will Vista.

This isn't without problems though, as Boot Camp then wouldn't allow me to later remove the Windows partition, claiming I needed a software update. The fix was to boot the Mac OS X install DVD in single-user mode, and replace the EFI partition using the gpt command (wasn't easy considering I'd not used GPT at all before, so I had some to learn).

After replacing the EFI partition, all was fine. I could remove the Vista partition, and OS X was never harmed. I didn't think to try if Vista still booted with the EFI partition replaced, but I expect it wouldn't.

Thanks for that. I had a hunch it might have been that partition but like I mentioned I just started toying. Also thanks to the rest of ya who threw in the info on glass. I'll try all that in a bit.

lane

lane

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Have you tried installing Vist inside of the Virtualization software? That would be pretty cool...

psp_gamer

psp_gamer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
w0w, vista on a mac is just plain sexy.

Alex Oughton

Alex Oughton

Trapped in my mac...

• Retired
  • 191 posts

Thanks for that. I had a hunch it might have been that partition but like I mentioned I just started toying. Also thanks to the rest of ya who threw in the info on glass. I'll try all that in a bit.

No problem. Was fun to experiment!

It proves that there's nothing inherently wrong with the OS X / Vista mix. I think it's going to be up to Microsoft to solve the issue with their bootloader, so hopefully they'll have done so by RTM.

EricJD

EricJD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Sweet.

What build is that?

AirmanPika

AirmanPika

Windows Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
5342 if I'm remembering correctly

grabberslasher

grabberslasher

Ekky ekky ekky ekky p'tang zoom-boing <incoherent mumble&

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

(If you want to see Glass running at 1440x900)

Tharindu

Tharindu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
can some one send me that registry tweak

iNic

iNic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Could you be more specific, please?
How did you "remove" the partition, with DiskUtility under OSX?
And could you please tell us how to restore it using GPT?

thanks,
inic

dponmac

dponmac

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:being cool
I dont think the registry tweaks work with the newer builds. Or so I've read. But it looks like grabberslasher got it working somehow...

grabberslasher

grabberslasher

Ekky ekky ekky ekky p'tang zoom-boing <incoherent mumble&

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I dont think the registry tweaks work with the newer builds. Or so I've read. But it looks like grabberslasher got it working somehow...

I had used registry hacks to enable it on that build I installed (5270), but in 5308 and later you can just download the ATI Catalyst Driver for Windows Vista (check the ATI site) - it has support for the Radeon x1600 in the iMac and will enable Glass.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy