MAC OS X LEOPARD RETAIL ON ASUS P5Q / P5Q PRO / P5Q-EM AND OTHERS

RoberT_XeS

Installed Mac OS X Retail Successfully  

736 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install Mac OS X Retail Successfully

• Yes
    • No

868 posts in this topic

While trying to create the Bootable USB Flash drive try to use the following command

SYSLINUX.EXE -ma R: if your drive letter is R

You can get more help from here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115064

oh thank you! It helped! The USB-Stick is booting now.

Does everything will workin' ? On iPC 10.5.6 I got an error by using Time Machine

This is the reason why I wanted to try the Retail!

Wow. It is a great instruction. :rolleyes:

I am confused whether I have to buy p5k or p5q. :wacko:

There is a very good and simple instruction for installing osx retail 10.5.6 for p5k.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79096

Can I use their method for p5q? If so, I will buy p5q.

The procedure explained here is too much complicated for me to follow, and I don't have floppy disk.

No need of the Floppy Drive you can use the USB Flash Drive. If you want you can also use the CD Drive, See this post here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

Then rest you can follow from my guide or you can also follow the guide that you mentioned but the drivers you need to download from my guide for P5Q.

oh thank you! It helped! The USB-Stick is booting now.

Does everything will workin' ? On iPC 10.5.6 I got an error by using Time Machine

This is the reason why I wanted to try the Retail!

I have not yet tried the time machine.......

Could you try it? on iPC 10.5.6 I couldn't choose a HD for Time Machine.

Everytime I wanted to choose one I got an error message like "MAC_ERROR_XXX" or something like that

I tried to choose an external HD or my internal one!

I want to install the retail now when I got my 2600 Pro

posting my result then!

Could you try it? on iPC 10.5.6 I couldn't choose a HD for Time Machine.

Everytime I wanted to choose one I got an error message like "MAC_ERROR_XXX" or something like that

I tried to choose an external HD or my internal one!

I want to install the retail now when I got my 2600 Pro

posting my result then!

I will try to do that this weekend, since I do night shifts I don't get much time................I am in my office right now

Just got a new P5Q and will soon try this mac-stuff.

What changes is made to the BIOS?

Will this changes have any influence under windows? Since Windows7 now is available to everyone I wanted to try to get it working with dual boot.

Just got a new P5Q and will soon try this mac-stuff.

What changes is made to the BIOS?

Will this changes have any influence under windows? Since Windows7 now is available to everyone I wanted to try to get it working with dual boot.

Just some minor changes, it won't affect the Windows.. It is stable...

So in order to install 'Retail', do I have to use the download labeled Retail or can I actually use a Retail Disc purchased from Apple?

Thank you in advance!

You can use the Retail Disk to install the Retail Version if you are using a HDD with GUID Partition and you can skip Step 6 and Step 7.

But if you are installing it on a HDD with MBR Partition then you need to follow all the steps given in the tutorial.......................

You can use the Retail Disk to install the Retail Version if you are using a HDD with GUID Partition and you can skip Step 6 and Step 7.

But if you are installing it on a HDD with MBR Partition then you need to follow all the steps given in the tutorial.......................

Thank you for the quick response! Is there any inherent benefits of going with GUID over MBR or vice versa?

Also, I am assuming that if steps 6 and 7 are not needed with the Retail, that I also would not have to create the partition in step 4 for the Deneb (so just the Boot Partition and the Partition for installation)?

And lastly, even though the boot partition is created at the beginning the last step is needed to actually 'enable' that boot partition?

Thank you again in advance!

Thank you for the quick response! Is there any inherent benefits of going with GUID over MBR or vice versa?

Also, I am assuming that if steps 6 and 7 are not needed with the Retail, that I also would not have to create the partition in step 4 for the Deneb (so just the Boot Partition and the Partition for installation)?

And lastly, even though the boot partition is created at the beginning the last step is needed to actually 'enable' that boot partition?

Thank you again in advance!

I dont know what is the benefit I just know that Mac uses GUID.

Yes no need to have two partition if you have the Retail DVD and Guid Partition.

The last step is for those who wants to create a bootable FAT partition instaed of Bootable USB Flash Drive. The reason I written it in last is because when you install Mac OS X Retail, it writes the boot files into the FAT32 Partition and it becomes unbootable. Hence I recommend first to install using Bootable USB Flash Drive.

Does anyone have sleep/restart/shutdown problems on P5Q? If yes, tell how to solve, please. System - MacOSX 10.5.6 twice updated from 10.5.4 Retail. After update 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 the problems appeared.

GUID or MBR if you consider more than one OS? (multiboot)

I recommend MBR

Does anyone have sleep/restart/shutdown problems on P5Q? If yes, tell how to solve, please. System - MacOSX 10.5.6 twice updated from 10.5.4 Retail. After update 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 the problems appeared.

Install Openhaltrestart.kext using kexthelper b7 and this should resolve the issue for you.

Install Openhaltrestart.kext using kexthelper b7 and this should resolve the issue for you

Tried. Didn't help. But i installed it with OSX86Tools, but earlier tried with KextHelper and RepairKextPermissions.

Just cant get anywhere.

Tried iDenib 10.5.5, flashed bios 1703for mac-os on P5Q-E

Installing on seperate drive, all are Sata AHCI set up.

Vid is GE force 7600GT, 4 gb ram.

Get a pale blue screen, no further.

-v gave this screen

post-260440-1231719741_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

• Confused 1

Just cant get anywhere.

Tried iDenib 10.5.5, flashed bios 1703for mac-os on P5Q-E

Installing on seperate drive, all are Sata AHCI set up.

Vid is GE force 7600GT, 4 gb ram.

Get a pale blue screen, no further.

-v gave this screen

post-260440-1231719741_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Flash the bios once again using EZ Flash and also check if the Storage Configuration is set to AHCI.

This kind of error message occurs only when the Bios is not properly flashed or if the Storage configuration is not set to AHCI

While Installing do not select any Kernel and then install, or try to select different kernels...............

Try disabling Onboard Lan

If that does not work then try iATKOS

this might be a stupid question but if your going to install the originalr retail version of leopard, then why would you have to install IDeneb or Itkos?

There are two option

Method I

Install IDeneb and then restore the Retail Image (If you don't want to create a Retail Dual Layer DVD and if you are installing Retail on a MBR Partition) to a partition and then install the Retail. This method is for those who are trying to install Retail on MBR HDD

Method II

2) Burn the image to a Dual Layer DVD and then Create a partition with GUID and then directly install from the Retail DVD. i.e You an skip Step 6 and Step 7

This far I have managed to get iDeneb work and I guess the nvidia-"drivers" work since I now get the system profiler report nvidia and can choose various display resolutions <_<

About LAN / ethernet. I believe I found a post on this forum or somewhere by googling that had a solution, but I cannot find it now as I need it... Anyone?

Next in line is to make the retail image...

Don't know if that will make a conflict with the boot menu? I now have xp, osx and windows-7 on a triple booting solution.

This far I have managed to get iDeneb work and I guess the nvidia-"drivers" work since I now get the system profiler report nvidia and can choose various display resolutions :)

About LAN / ethernet. I believe I found a post on this forum or somewhere by googling that had a solution, but I cannot find it now as I need it... Anyone?

Don't know if that will make a conflict with the boot menu? I now have xp, osx and windows-7 on a triple booting solution.

Can you please explain how you made the triple boot. I did multiple tries to make a dual boot system with xp/osx but i always ended with a corrupt harddisk.

And how does you boot menu looks like? Can you choose your os and also have a countdown timer for auto boot osx?

Some directions are highly apreciated ;)

Thanks

Can you please explain how you made the triple boot. I did multiple tries to make a dual boot system with xp/osx but i always ended with a corrupt harddisk.

And how does you boot menu looks like? Can you choose your os and also have a countdown timer for auto boot osx?

Some directions are highly apreciated ;)

Thanks

If you are using IDeneb then you can try the steps given in the following thread to triple boot.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=137296

This far I have managed to get iDeneb work and I guess the nvidia-"drivers" work since I now get the system profiler report nvidia and can choose various display resolutions :)

I don't think that the onboard LAN Works....

Regarding the Boot Menu for the Retail, you need to boot from the USB Flash Drive otherwise it will not install.

At the moment i am using xp but i would like to have xp/osx retail/beta windows 7

I now how to install each os seperate but not how to make a easy triple boot from them.

Install Easy BCD on Windows 7, run the software and then add the entries of MAC OS X and Windows XP and it should work........

It worked with Windows Vista, I have not yet checked it out with Windows 7

Triple boot:

More or less as RoberT_Xes says..

Installed XP first (used IDE settings in Bios, later did a change to XP I found on the net, and set it to AHCI. (because my xp don't have any support for this ahci, can be slipstreamed i guess)

Installed iDeneb.

Darwin gave me options to choose xp or osx.

Installed W7.

W7 or vista bootloader gave me xp or w7 to choose from.

Used easybcd to add osx.

Vista loader let me choose from xp, osx and w7.

When choosing osx, I get into darwin, and must choose between the three again. But I don't mind.

Time out works as before..

Too bad there's no LAN fix for the Atheros..

Booting from USB.. it won't overide vista boot loader?? Or will it, but only when it's in there?