strange sleep issue

Pink Waters

31 posts in this topic

my hackintosh was working fine and sleeps fully fine.

today i suddenly discovered that it does not sleep on its own, neither using the power button.

only do sleep when i select sleep from the apple menu!!

its driving me nuts and i cannot figure out why is that happening!

i use munky boot from efi partition.

using voodoo kernel

ga-p31-ds3l motherboard

pentium D celeron

those are my only kexts on my efi partition:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Disabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

System.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

dsmos.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

anybody has ideas?

update:

i checked the console log.

and i found too many sound assertion errors due to legacyAppleHDA driver, they look like that:

1/1/09 6:40:23 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:28 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:33 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:38 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:43 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:48 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:53 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

1/1/09 6:40:58 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 1341 goto handler

would that prevent the system from automatically go to sleep when idle ?

if so, what does this have to do with the power button not being able to put the system to sleep!!!

although when i put it to sleep manually from apple menu, i can wake it up with the same power button!!!

Update:

today i left the pc and went to do something and came back late, and it was sleeping!!!!

out of the blue!!

also i've seen on the internet someone with a Mac Pro, who had the same problem and same thing happened to him out of the blue too!!..

anyway,... this all situation was weird,..

auto sleep gone out of the blue, then back out of the blue!

update:

today out of the blue again, system instatntly wake up after sleep by usb with the log in the console:

Jan  4 01:11:18 tamer-el-wakeels-macpro31k kernel[0]: System Sleep
Jan  4 01:11:25 tamer-el-wakeels-macpro31k kernel[0]: Wake reason = USB2
Jan  4 01:11:25 tamer-el-wakeels-macpro31k kernel[0]: [TSC] delta: -58, skipping synchronization. (CPU1)
Jan  4 01:11:25 tamer-el-wakeels-macpro31k kernel[0]: System Wake
Jan  4 01:11:26 tamer-el-wakeels-macpro31k kernel[0]: "macmodel" boot argument not found, Mac model set as "MacBookPro5,1"
Jan  4 01:11:26 tamer-el-wakeels-macpro31k kernel[0]: USB (UHCI):Port 1 on bus 0x5d connected or disconnected

also if I tried to put it to sleep a second time, i does not wake up!!!!

i mean, i hear the system wake and everything but the display does not come up!

how is all of this happen all in a sudden ?!

i didn't alter the system in anyway!

didn't install kexts or application or anything, except putting a CD in the IDE dvd rom drive!!

Another update for who cares!

I've checked what happened before (earlier posts) with another backup system i had on another hdd, which is kalyway 10.5.5 with chameleon, and guess what ?!?!

THE SAME ISSUES HAPPEN THERE !!!

so as i understand, how would a change on my system or a problem could be the same with another boot system on another hdd with an earlier version of leopard, with a different bootloader??

would it be something wrong is happing to the motherboard ?

is it malfunctioning ?

perhaps going to die ?

or something with the power supply ?

Plzzz people someone bare with me on this!!

Edit again:

I installed superhai usb fix, and no dice!

then i uninstalled it....

now,

I sleep the system once: it wakes up immediately

I sleep it twice: hit the power button, it restarts!!

ps: wil anyone help me with that eventually?? coz keep talking to myself is not that amusing!

edit again:

today i woke up this morning and found the system sleep.

then i moved the mouse, and it woke up just fine.

i opened the log and notice that it tried to sleep once and then woke up instantly due mouse, like the earlier post log, the the second time it went to sleep again, but didn't power off as it usualy does when i sleep it manually!.

does anybody read this ??

Last night mine had a similar problem with sleep not working from the power button. When I tried the menu, there was a delay long enough for me to select shutdown, before it went to sleep. When I woke it up, the shutdown window was still there. My sleep only just started working with 10.5.5.

hello did you try to solve it with cyclonefr or jan bird method ?

Yep I tried, but the weird thing with jan bird method is that that option is not visible in my energy saver windows !!. i know its strange, and some people too did not have it too..

anyway at the moment being, my auto sleep works fine, the problem seems to be happen if i put it to sleep manually!! donno why though!

anybody knows what may be the causes of a system when it goes to sleep fine and then when you wake it up by the power button it restarts?

Its a kind of as if it shuts down instead of sleeping!

i've read in some threads on apple disscusion forums that some mac pro did that and was causes by that those system overheats while sleeping so they turn off to stop the damage!..

does anyone think thats the case here ?

how to figure out that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey why don't you guys try the chameleon DSDT overide method with fassl's DSDT patcher I had to modify my DSDT in order to get the sleep working and you should also in system preferences under energy saver options check the box in Restart automatically after a power failure for it to work properly...

Hey why don't you guys try the chameleon DSDT overide method with fassl's DSDT patcher I had to modify my DSDT in order to get the sleep working and you should also in system preferences under energy saver options check the box in Restart automatically after a power failure for it to work properly...

I've tired dsdt but didn't work, also i didn't modify it, i just generated it with the patcher.

what do we have to modify?

also the restart automatically after power failure option is not visible in my energy saver setting though.

I didnt read through the whole topic, so ..

Had the same problem but it was solved by removing apps from the "startup item" list (Control Panel, Users).I think it was the "ItunesHelper" app loaded on login that was blocking the automatic sleep function.'

kulos

I didnt read through the whole topic, so ..

Had the same problem but it was solved by removing apps from the "startup item" list (Control Panel, Users).I think it was the "ItunesHelper" app loaded on login that was blocking the automatic sleep function.'

kulos

Thanks for your input,

but,

the current issue here is that computer sleeps once the wakes up immediately then if slept again, it simply shuts down

Hi Pink,

I have same m/board like you.

Yes indeed I had same exprienced, but the problem was solved with the setting at bios..like this :

Open bios ---> Integral pheriperal --->On Chip Sata ---> Enhanced

I don't know what is relate, but sleep issue was solved :(

Hi Pink,

I have same m/board like you.

Yes indeed I had same exprienced, but the problem was solved with the setting at bios..like this :

Open bios ---> Integral pheriperal --->On Chip Sata ---> Enhanced

I don't know what is relate, but sleep issue was solved :)

nope, still shuts down