2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

All the versions of GenericCPUPowerManagement after 1.0.14 have been causing random freezes for me on my MSI Wind. I mran the whole system just freezes up, and I cant do anything.

HELP??

Normally I have noticed these on battery only.

Thanks for the answers superhai...

Just some others quick questions/ideas... Do you think you could add (if it exist on mac os x) an option to enable Nvidia PowerMizer an the equivalent for ATI ? It would be on the VoodooPower's mind... ? It exists on linux and windows...

Also if you could add hdapm (Hardware powermanagement for HDDs) controls to your preference pane/application control... It would be so coooool !!!!

OSX86 will have its own powermanagement package !!

LoopTimerFactor is how often it check load and change state. It is changed to a factor do avoid dividing values (which is kind of "heavy" on the cpu compared to a shift). To find the ms value you can use this formula 2^x * 10. So 2 = 40ms and, 4 = 160 ms, 6 = 640 ms.

Do i understand right: 6=640 doest less often check cpu % than 4=160?

I ask that because with 1.1.X i can see that setting higher Timeout ms gives also higher payload in microS (shown in the CPUControl) ?

THANKS, V 1.2 is really good (lot of your work= fixed+optimasiations i believe)!

I had been running this just fine, but then my machine recently just froze which it has not done before. So I went back to this thread and noticed I should remove OpenHaltRestart.kext

I will do this and if I crash again I will report back

1.2.1 tested and GOOD! Intel C2D.

Some MHZ CPUCommand Menue glitches (also 1.2.0): higest MHZ shown as -1634 MHZ (, sometimes also shown -1900, should be 2660 MHZ, MSR Tools shows 2660 MHZ). Lower MHZ PStates shown right.

Doenst matter really ( i know -1634=2660 MHZ :D ), i think next Controll App will be Pref Pane and fix that.

Bild_221.jpg

Hey SuperHai,

Just wanted to say thanks again for this speedstep driver. It's working great! I also wanted to toss out some info as well. Prior to using this kext, my graphics would eventually become choppy when minimizing/maximizing windows and I'd have to restart the finder to get it back to normal. I had this issue with my Nvidia 7900GS and even after upgrading to a 8800GT. Now, since using VoodooPower, I haven't had that issue at all! I've even noticed the stacks animations are smoother for "Grid" view. I can't be 100% sure VoodooPower is the reason the graphics are acting smoother, but hey, I can't complain. Thanks!

-Stell

Hi SuperHai!

Good work from you! Thanks!

But i also have choppy animation effect if i use your kext :)

If i not load all animation smooth, but load VoodooPower or older versions speedstep working no errors, but animation slow.

If turn of AutoThrottle and set max (2.8GHz) animation looks good again.

My Card is NVidia Quatro FX 770M.

Hi SuperHai!

Good work from you! Thanks!

But i also have choppy animation effect if i use your kext :)

If i not load all animation smooth, but load VoodooPower or older versions speedstep working no errors, but animation slow.

If turn of AutoThrottle and set max (2.8GHz) animation looks good again.

My Card is NVidia Quatro FX 770M.

Not sure if you're referring to my post or not. I was just saying I had noticed gfx animations becoming choppy after hours of use WITHOUT voodoopower. When I am using it, it's perfecto.

-Stell

sysctl -a | grep freq shows the kext is doing its job - P4 model 651 @ 3.40 GHz

This is weird though (but I guess it has nothing to do with your kext):

hw.cpufrequency_max: 3400000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 3400000000

min. should be 2400000000

GenericCPUPMControl GUI shows completely wrong values like -1800 and shows my CPU as having two cores although it's just plain HT.

I found some strange bug.

With this next generation kext - VoodooPower, the systems sysctrl utility, outputs the same data for max/min of the CPU freq:

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2999999997
hw.cpufrequency_min: 2999999997
hw.cpufrequency: 1999933944

With previous GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext it shows correct data.