VoodooPower 1.2.3

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

Poll: VoodooPower User Survey (734 member(s) have cast votes)

Which CPU do you use this on?

1. Intel Pentium M (29 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

2. Intel Pentium 4/D (40 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

3. Intel Core (2) Solo/Duo/Quad (463 votes [63.08%])

Percentage of vote: 63.08%

4. Intel Atom (100 votes [13.62%])

Percentage of vote: 13.62%

5. AMD K8 (31 votes [4.22%])

Percentage of vote: 4.22%

6. AMD K10 (22 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

7. Intel I7 or newer (19 votes [2.59%])

Percentage of vote: 2.59%

8. AMD K11 or newer (10 votes [1.36%])

Percentage of vote: 1.36%

9. Other (20 votes [2.72%])

Percentage of vote: 2.72%

Does it work successfully?

1. Yes, no issues (362 votes [49.32%])

Percentage of vote: 49.32%

2. Yes, minor issues/annoyances (236 votes [32.15%])

Percentage of vote: 32.15%

3. No, Intel Pentium M/4/D (20 votes [2.72%])

Percentage of vote: 2.72%

4. No, Intel Core or newer (58 votes [7.90%])

Percentage of vote: 7.90%

5. No, AMD K8 (22 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

6. No, AMD K10 or newer (15 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

7. No, other CPU (21 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

1. No use (105 votes [14.31%])

Percentage of vote: 14.31%

2. Poor (32 votes [4.36%])

Percentage of vote: 4.36%

3. Mediocre (54 votes [7.36%])

Percentage of vote: 7.36%

4. Useful (193 votes [26.29%])

Percentage of vote: 26.29%

5. Very useful (271 votes [36.92%])

Percentage of vote: 36.92%

6. My life depend on it (79 votes [10.76%])

Percentage of vote: 10.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

olav

olav

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It works for me now, it was some error I did when changing the plist file, think I forgot to touch the extensions folder (but I booted with -v -f so it should not matter right?).

Running on 1162 mV on a Q6600 but even if the cpu would run at lower voltages it's impossible to go under 1162 :)

However, I save almost 15 watts at full load using the lower voltage.

jkbuha

jkbuha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Chaps,

Quick question - I'd like to modify the source code to lock in specific VID and FIDs for the Pstates on my T8300, as well as enable SLFM. My chip works quite well at .9V for 1GHz and 0.975 for 2.4GHz and thus I'd like to manually set these levels in on VoodooPower. The problem is I cannot locate the right function calls inside intel.cpp and the amd way to do this does not look similar ^_^

Any pointers as how to do this?

Thanks
jkbuha

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
if you need beta testers for Core i7 contact me.

nasdak

nasdak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
it seems to work on my L7500 x61s but i can't get rid off "com.superhai.driver.GenericCPUPowerManagement"
it's still loaded but i cannot find the kext file!

here's my log :

sh-3.2# kextstat | grep hai
94 0 0x3445e000 0xa000 0x9000 com.superhai.driver.GenericCPUPowerManagement (1.1.3) <18 12 7 5 4 2>

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ sudo dmesg | grep GenericCPUPowerManagement
GenericCPUPowerManagement: GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.1.3 (Release) Dec 14 2008 17:53:36 [1050]
GenericCPUPowerManagement: © 2008 Superhai, All Rights Reserved

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ sudo dmesg | grep GenericCPUPowerManagement
GenericCPUPowerManagement: GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.1.3 (Release) Dec 14 2008 17:53:36 [1050]
GenericCPUPowerManagement: © 2008 Superhai, All Rights Reserved
pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ ioreg -lxw0 -r -c GenericCPUPowerManagement | grep "Characteristics"
"Characteristics" = {"Voltage Highest"=0x401,"Signature"=0x6fb,"Front Side Bus Indicated"=0xbebc200,"CPU Count"=0x2,"Build Date"="Dec 14 2008","Constant TSC"=Yes,"Voltage Lowest"=0x3cf,"Front Side Bus"=0xbebc200,"VID Lowest"=0x15,"Product Name"="GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext","Override"=No,"Version"="1.1.3","Individual Core Control"=No,"Frequency Lowest"=0x258,"DID Lowest"=0x0,"Timer Timeout"=0xfa,"CPU Driver"=0x0,"Mobile CPU"=Yes,"Build Time"="17:53:36","Auto Throttle On Startup"=Yes,"Build Config"="Release","Frequency Highest"=0x640,"String"="Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU L7500 @ 1.60GHz","DID Highest"=0x0,"FID Lowest"=0x86,"VID Highest"=0x19,"FID Highest"=0x8,"P-State Count"=0x5}

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ ioreg -lxw0 -r -c GenericCPUPowerManagement | grep "Status"
"Status" = {"Wait Time TSC"=0x17ccc580,"Timer Timeout (ms)"=0xfa,"Wait Time Perf"=0x10b9170,"P-State Limit"=0x0,"P-State Capability"=0x0,"Current Latency"=0x6,"Kernel Extension Ready"=Yes,"Auto Throttle Running"=Yes,"Threshold"=0xc8,"Profile"=0x0,"CPU"=({"Load"={"User"=0x4e,"Accumulated"=0x4e,"System"=0x0,"Idle"=0x389,"Nice"=0x0},"Clock Modulation"=0x8,"Frequency"=0x258,"Current P-State"=0x5,"DID"=0x0,"VID"=0x15,"Thermal Readout"=0x39,"Actual Performance"=0x178,"FID"=0x86,"Voltage"=0x3cf,"Exact"=Yes,"Name"="CPU0"},{"Load"={"User"=0x27,"Accumulated"=0x27,"System"=0x0,"Idle"=0x3b1,"Nice"=0x0},"Clock Modulation"=0x8,"Frequency"=0x258,"Current P-State"=0x5,"DID"=0x0,"VID"=0x15,"Thermal Readout"=0x3a,"Actual Performance"=0x180,"FID"=0x86,"Voltage"=0x3cf,"Exact"=Yes,"Name"="CPU1"}),"Hysteresis"=0x32,"Routine Payload TSC"=0x419a0}

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts
BE CAREFUL if you OC the CPU by FSB and lowered the Multi in your BIOS.
BIOS PART:
My C2D 2.66 (FSB 266 = default, Multi 10 = default, has 5 P-STATES 4...0 6,7,8,9,10* Multi) running at FSB 333=OC, Multi 9=lowered
Gives OC of 3.0 GHZ (9*333 FSB).
If i try to OC more in BIOS by 333 FSB (OC) and Multi 10*(default) = 3.33 GHZ = FREEZE (even with more CPU VIDs)

MAC OS X PART:
Without VP the CPU runs as set in the BIOS : FSB 333 * 9 Multi = 3.0 GHZ.

If i kextload VoodooPower or MiniPower without any change in the plist that will happen:
Running perfect until high CPU% load cames up and VP switch P-States down:
P-State 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 0 FREEZE.
If VP tries to switch to highes P-STATE (0=Multi 10) CPU is too much OC: 10*333 FSB =3,33 GHZ = FREEZE. That will happens even if the VID(mVolts) are set much higher for OC.

To avoid that, you must disable the highest P-STATE 0 by setting PstateHighest = 1 in the .plist.
Now the CPU runs as without VP from P-STATE 4= 6*333 = 2.0 GHZ up to PSTATE 1= 9*333 = 3.0 GHZ. Stable as without loading/using VP.

An new check in the initialisation of VP may warn, by probing FSB=orig. CPU default (200/266/333) or not (333 FSB on 266 FSB CPU Type= Multi changed=warning)

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Since 10.5.8 it is needed to use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext for proper sleep. Using the Applekext results in much higher CPU Temperature, so Powermanagement does not work with the kext.
Using Voodoopower kext results in lower CPU Temperature, but not as low as using NONE of both kexts. Why is that?

If i use NONE of both kexts, my CPU Temp sinks as low as 30C. If i use Voodoopower and the Apple kext together, the CPU Temp rises about 6C. That wouldn't bother me much, but the fan-noise gets to a disturbing state when the PC is idle :gun:

Is there a way to get the old powermanagement back when using both kexts? I already set "CStateControl=True" in the Voodoopower.kext plist, but it didn't help.

Thanks!

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts

Since 10.5.8 it is needed to use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext for proper sleep. Using the Applekext results in much higher CPU Temperature, so Powermanagement does not work with the kext.
Using Voodoopower kext results in lower CPU Temperature, but not as low as using NONE of both kexts. Why is that?

If i use NONE of both kexts, my CPU Temp sinks as low as 30C. If i use Voodoopower and the Apple kext together, the CPU Temp rises about 6C. That wouldn't bother me much, but the fan-noise gets to a disturbing state when the PC is idle ;)

Is there a way to get the old powermanagement back when using both kexts? I already set "CStateControl=True" in the Voodoopower.kext plist, but it didn't help.

Thanks!

Why not use the native Speedstep Control of OSX?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts

Why not use the native Speedstep Control of OSX?

Because its not speedstep. OS X manages the cpu powermanagement in an other way, which isnt much effective - even if it works on an OSX86.
If its not working (AppleIntelCPU/ ACPI-SMCPlugin dont fit to the OSX86 Modell) you get much higher CPU temp - even compared without Voodoopower.

So AppleIntelCPU really works only on real Macs. On non Macs you get more/less worst cpu powermanagement.
(Depends on: smbios "MacModell", CPU Type, Mainboard hardware powermanagement).
Without any speedstep control (Voodoopower) my Gigabyte MB runs really cool by using the other , hardware/bios based(does his work without any drivers alone) cpu powermanagement (C1E,..).

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
I'm not so sure about this, with VoodooPower it throttles just more. I have the same battery durability with the native one.

Guest: ѕиоѡ_*

• Guests
Hopfully the Voodoopower kext gets an update so we dont have to use the bloody AICPUPM kext if we want to have our low temps back.

I'm using the 10.5.7 kernel without AICPUPM and with Voodoopower which seems to work as before the 10.5.8 update (maybe slightly higher temps even)

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
@ mitch_de

True. The Bios Powermanagement worked like a charm. I hope the Voodoopower.kext gets C-State Control soon or we can get rid of the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext without losing sleep.

• Guests
I have posted a request so maybe bump the thread so people know its an important issue.

http://www.superhai.....php?f=12&t=186

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Because its not speedstep. OS X manages the cpu powermanagement in an other way, which isnt much effective - even if it works on an OSX86.
If its not working (AppleIntelCPU/ ACPI-SMCPlugin dont fit to the OSX86 Modell) you get much higher CPU temp - even compared without Voodoopower.

So AppleIntelCPU really works only on real Macs. On non Macs you get more/less worst cpu powermanagement.
(Depends on: smbios "MacModell", CPU Type, Mainboard hardware powermanagement).
Without any speedstep control (Voodoopower) my Gigabyte MB runs really cool by using the other , hardware/bios based(does his work without any drivers alone) cpu powermanagement (C1E,..).

Hi mitch

are you saying the BIOS controls/triggers the C1E state without need for drivers?

Also if you have defined p-states in DSDT then surely AppleIntelCPUPM is giving you speedstep?
~EDIT~ It's controlling muti' and VID which is speedstep no?

Admittedly it's far simpler to use voodoopower !!

D.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts

Admittedly it's far simpler to use voodoopower !!

AppleIntelCPUPM and Coolbook looks simpler.

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

I presume this works as long as AppleICPUPM is loaded?
wouldn't matter - for - example - if AICPUPM is reporting P and C-state errors

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

CoolBook is not working for me - no CPU related values are being read. Maybe because of the changes I've made the _PR part of DSDT?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts
Coolbook doesnt use Speedstep (EIST) funktion. It does it its own way (by own code).
I asked the dev last year about that. He told me that he dindt use the HW function EIST(speedstep) of that cpus supporting speedstep.
I would not use that.

ApexDE

ApexDE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I am investigating the sleep issues with my mainboard GA-EP45-DS3 (currently i only use the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext)
Sometimes my system hangs when going to sleep. Since 10.5.8 it even hangs once-in-a-while when it should wake up. Someone gave me the hint to disable EIST in the BIOS.

With the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext my System sleeps/wakes fine. Which seems to make sense to me: the kext obviously turns OFF all CPU powersaving features. So, no powersaving features are used when the system goes to sleep. But my goal is to get rid of the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext as it heats up the CPU quite a lot.

My next step would be to turn off EIST in the BIOS and use the Voodoopower.kext again, which leads to my questions :)

To which state does Voodoopower turn the CPU when the system goes to sleep? If my theory is true, it should be running without powersaving (e.g. lower frequency) when going to sleep for proper sleep/wake.

Does Voodoopower's speedstepping even work when EIST is disabled in the BIOS?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts

Does Voodoopower's speedstepping even work when EIST is disabled in the BIOS?

NO! Voodoopower uses EIST(speedstep) funktion, needed if you want speedstep.

buffalo98

buffalo98

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
hi guys, i don't know why my mac can not install the voodoopower kext. It's just crashed immediately after using KextHelper to install voodoopower. I have to turn off power, then I check Extensions folder, voodoopower kext never been in there. If you guys have met this issue, please help. Or please give me a link where i can sort it out. I've searched around, but i can't find the solution.

My Hacinstosh specs:
Dell Studio 1735, iDeneb 10.5.8, Intel Core 2 Duo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy