[How to] Have sound on all of your speakers.

macgirl

55 posts in this topic

Hi macgirl,

Nice guide! :wallbash:

I'm thinking if someone who know "stuff" can write a plugin for hda.

What I mean if the source is 2ch to make it surround and if is 5.1 to play it as it is on available outs...

I have no coding skills, dunno how to write such plugin but I think here on forum there are some who know how to do such job...

We need a simple solution mac stile :)

What do u think?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get this guide whatsoever. Can you please walk me through it?

I have 4.1 (2 front, 2 back and 1 sub, no center because it's broken).

I have the ALC888 but I have to plug stuff into all audio ports (line in, out, and mic).

In windoze I have this Realtek utility send all of my output through the outputs as well as the inputs and put the center through the 2 fronts.

Help would be great.

~tehsusenoh

And God says.. So let there be Surround Sound for all those OSX86 users and He was satisfied.. but..what about all this AU Lab crashes I cant use the utility more than a few minutes and I get "overload" notifications and unexpected quits from AU. I made a simple 5.1 config using 3+3 tracks for FL FR C RL RR and SUB

My system is a :gun: P4 2.66 Northwood 1Gb DDR1 and using Audigy1 :angry: OS iPC 10.5.6

Anyway many thanks Macgirl for this great guide!

post-213388-1240433522_thumb.png

And God says.. So let there be Surround Sound for all those OSX86 users and He was satisfied.. but..what about all this AU Lab crashes I cant use the utility more than a few minutes and I get "overload" notifications and unexpected quits from AU. I made a simple 5.1 config using 3+3 tracks for FL FR C RL RR and SUB

My system is a ;) P4 2.66 Northwood 1Gb DDR1 and using Audigy1 :censored2: OS iPC 10.5.6

You need to raise the latency of your Aggregate device or else your CPU won't be able to process data in time, and that's the reason for the overloads. Try 1024 frames first, then 2048 if your problem is not resolved. The more tracks you use, the higher the latency should be set to avoid errors.

Also, I'd recommend you to delete those two busses you created. They can be useful if you are applying global send effects to several tracks (i.e., you're using a reverb or delay to simulate an specific audio environment). Otherwise, they're adding an extra stress to your CPU, and you are not improving your sound in any way by using them.

hmmm, Sound flower output starts distorting after few minutes for me, Is it happening with anyone with 10k2 chip??? I'm talking about listening to music continuously for 1 hour or more (ofcourse you will notice distortion a lot earlier).

closing and reopening AU Lab + .trak file solves it (more like reloading). Am i the only one with this?

I have the same problem with my ACL889. Varying CPU and frame latency doesn't help me. Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
hmmm, Sound flower output starts distorting after few minutes for me, Is it happening with anyone with 10k2 chip??? I'm talking about listening to music continuously for 1 hour or more (ofcourse you will notice distortion a lot earlier).

closing and reopening AU Lab + .trak file solves it (more like reloading). Am i the only one with this?

Thank you for the guide macgirl.

Oxtie, I have the same problem than you. I'm using the 1.30b version of the drivers for my sound blaster audigy platinum ex card (Emu10k1).

• 4 weeks later...
i can't get this to work. when I make my agg. dev. in audio midi setup, I select my SB0350 10k2 (0 in, 8 out) and the soundflower 2chan (2in 2 out). In the box above where the name is, the agg dev still shows 0 in 8 out. So i go to au lab, i add 3 stereo outputs and 1 stereo input. i select my agg dev "6chanout" as the audio device while "output channels" is selected. It looks fine, shows 6 of 8 channels being used. then i select input channels, it shows my 6chanout device still selected as the audio device, and "Audio input not supported". so if i choose the soundflower 2chan here, i see stereo input, but then the output channels only show stereo out. If i hit "done" with my 6chanout agg dev selected, I have no inputs in the next window. If i select the soundflower 2ch, then 2 of the 3 output channels are not used, and I get no sound output too.

what am i missing? how do i pick my 6chanout as the output, and soundflower 2ch as the input?

+1!!!!!

same problem & configuration, and hope ;)

......and after this.....the stereo 5.1 channel(in my case)doesn't appears optional in my output options to place like a output channel(pic):

post-366795-1252194985_thumb.png

thx again,anyway.....can someone help? :D

pd.:sorry my poor english XD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had distortion after random 3 - 10 minutes but it was totally fixed not by latency setting but simply by changing Clock Source from internal to The SB Audigy sound card. did this in Audio & MIDI. No more distortion now and sounds wonderful even after hours.

Thanks again for this guide. Just going to set mine to start up minimised at login now and away I go.

Trav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm a Snow Leopard user with Audigy 2 ZS (kX kext) and now with this guide I can listen mp3 in stereo on all my speakers! (5.1)

THANK YOU!!! :(

A little question.. how can I configure a 5.1 output for movies? (i mean "not stereo")

Use VLC. Btw, its output was 5.1 before I was using this AULab+Soundflower trick (just had to configure my speakers to 5.1).

I have an SB Live! 5.1 with kx 1.11b0.

I just want to join in and say a big "Thank you" to MacGirl! :| Finally, astounding, glorious 5.1 sound on my Mac!

I also went a few steps further based on this guide and worked on AU Lab a bit. The template shown on this guide is for 2 channel stereo output on 3 channels (front, rear, center+LFE). While this is perfectly acceptable you don't have a lot of control on individual channels.

I managed to make a true 5.1 setup by setting up 6 seperate Mono channels on the initial screen and then by routing L and R channels accordingly.

This gives a truly bewildering amount of control on each speaker. You can have rear speakers swap LR channels or add delay front to back, or even left and right, or have one speaker play higher frequencies than the others (eg center speaker)!!

I added some effects on individual speakers for some aural enjoyment and came up with this template.

http://www.2shared.com/file/11529520/58dfa...ltichannel.html

I put it here as it may be interesting to others as well!

Just save it on one folder and open it up with AU Lab. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
+1!!!!!

same problem & configuration, and hope ;)

......and after this.....the stereo 5.1 channel(in my case)doesn't appears optional in my output options to place like a output channel(pic):

post-366795-1252194985_thumb.png

thx again,anyway.....can someone help? ;)

pd.:sorry my poor english XD

after i double click on output 1, i dont see my aggregate device there, only soundflower.

can someone help?

Same here.

I tried many different configurations. Sometimes i can see the green bars moving when i play music in itunes, but theres no sound. I'm using 1.11b (audigy 2 zs) driver for snow leopard(10.6.3) and i can get full sourrund sound with a 5.1 source in vlc. Any Ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, excellent guide! I discovered a minor flaw.My sound card has 3 stereo out. The first stereo out is front speakers, the second is center/sub and the third rear speakers. Center speaker accepts sound only from the left channel and sub woofer accepts sound only from the right. Would it be possible to send a mono mix in the second stream?

• 3 weeks later...

THANKS ! THANKS ! THANKS ! THANKS ---- INFINITY ......... I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS FROM LONG ... !!! IF I HAVE FOUND THIS POST BEFORE >> I WON"T HAVE BOUGHT ANOTHER SOUND CARD >> THAT"S NOT YET SUPPORTED IN SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.4 :blink:

Works Great! Awesome for music and i haven't even tried videos yet. Guide is a little hard to understand (atleast for a rookie) but once you get it... You won't be dissapointed! Big thanks for macgirl! :(

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if it's possible to route 5.1sound to only 2-channel stereo with my audigy ZS?

I use VLC-player for playing movies. I only hear effects through Left and Right speaker because I physically have 2-channel stereo. So I want Left-front, Left-rear and Center wired to Left and Right-front, right-rear and Center wired to Right. Maybe rear is not necessary but I'm not really into audio.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I have a gigaport HD usb audio device with 8 rca outputs. I bought it to hook my carputer up to the amp directly (6 inputs) and it sounds great. The RCA cables are only a foot long, so no issues with interference. As far as the buses go I think the reason it sounds different and maybe louder is because you are essentially making the audio mono, you can get the same effect by toggling the B next to the panner. If you want stereo out of the buses I think you would have to pan one bus full left and one full right. Although looking at it closer it looks like it transfers stereo so I'm not sure why you would need 2 buses but maybe the two busses amplify each other in a way.

Thanks again.