OSX 86 binaries running under linux?

johnzbesko

10 posts in this topic

It is upsetting to me that various companies produce versions of their proprietary software for Windows or Mac, but not Linux. Examples are the latest Flash, Quicktime, or even Windows Media.

But companies do tend to release Mac versions and OSX now runs on x86. Is it possible to run OSX86 binaries or plugins on x86 Linux? I understand that OSX applications would not run- they would depend on the Mac Aqua system, not xwindows. But would something similar to Crossover or wine be easier to implement with OSX86 than Windows?

I'm sure it would be possible if there were enough interest. The problem is, it needs capital and not enough are interested. Not a lot of companies are willing to give away the sources of the application.

Take for example Crossover, even though they have a database, it's really not that extensive. Maybe 1 out of 20 applications are tested to work 100%. it's more probably a wine limitation. I have tested many apps under wine, which aren't listed in there database. The apps I have tested are partially working.

At the end of the day, it's the application developers who give what they want to the free software community. If you're looking for ATI or nVidia to release source codes, don't hold you breathe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i guess that probably the only thing could be done is maconlinux or kinda a "macE" like wine

the only point that makes SH to release products only for win & macos is that those OSes are preinstalled on brandnew PCs... so if you own linux surely you obtain win or macos too

so why waste resources on this port if you reach (almost) the same costumers?

don't get this wrong i'm a linux lover too but that's how things are going :blink:

senior company managers (that most of times don't know what a pc is) think that linux/unix is still the same {censored} as it was 10 years ago and they ajust listen to words like MS certification... certified.. and so on

obviously that's a wrong common place, linux is getting pretty good on desktop purposes, and it could be a lot idiot-proof if you want it to be like

things are different for serving applications, linux is always the first way to go, 'cos usually system administrators leave ms junk in the trash, and SH knows it :D

GnuStep can help to easily recompilate Cocoa apps for its own environnement running on Linux.

But, there's is still al little re-writing.

The big deal is that there are not any graphical library of OS X (stuff like Quartz) have a "porting" on Linux.