Parallels Crashed My Mac Partition

17 posts in this topic

so i install parallels, works great, love it. eventually a reboot and alas, i cant boot into mac. so i started up with the install dvd and ran disk utility, tons of disk problems. at first it doesnt fix them. then i run it again and it says all is well. now when i try to boot to mac i see the apple logo and the circle with slash through it repeating.

Anyone know why it wont boot?

Clearly parallels corrupted my disk, i think it had to do with xp autoupdates. anyway, i can still boot into my bootcamped windows.

Any ideas.

17' imac intel

Thanks

some more info, safe mode doesnt work, gives me the same flashing of the apple sign then the flashing.

both verbose and single user mode load the kernel, then give the error,

error loading drivers.

also, maccdrive in windows can no longer see the partition, where it could before.

any ideas?

thanks

Weird, Parallels has been nothing but stable and great for me.

Mind you I have an "officially" supported system with Intel VT technology, etc.

The only thing I could really wish for right now is fullscreen and sound support, but that should be arriving soon,

Had the same problem on my brand new macbook pro this morning. Running parallels -- all of the sudden I got a kernal panic, and when I rebooted, the system was misbehaving (couldn't see folderd, couldn't save anything). Tried to reboot again two or three times, and it just hung on the grey screen.

Hmm. Booted off the install DVD, ran disk utility. Repair disk --> failed. Found lots and lots of errors. Repaired again --> failed. More errors. On the third repair, it succeeded, then verified okay. Repaired permissions, rebooted, now I'm back up and running but worried about the integrity of the system. I'm duplicating my drive to a USB disk at the moment so I have a good backup. Debating whether to reinstall, then migrate my settings again.

The lesson -- always keep a good backup. When I was using windows I kept all of my "stuff" on the remote machine and used offline files to synchonize the two, do I've always had a good and current backup on my other system.

Is there a way to do the same on OSX? I'd like to keep a synchronized version of all my stuff on a network drive shared off a windows box. Otherwise, will keep backing up to the USB disk.

Yup, I had the same problem today. After about three or so days or working Dual boot with XP and XP running via Paralles in Tiger.. Mac OS would no longer boot. Disk First aid showed lots of errors I could not fix. XP still worked fine if I booted to it. Had to reload today from reinstall cds.. Going to image my OS X partion before messing with the new beta 3.

Tricky