Want to upgrade from Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6

impreziv

59 posts in this topic

The upgrade worked pretty well going from kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6. I have an asus p5n-e sli wth a 8600gt graphics card...but:

1. my sata dvdrw (samsung) is seen but I cannot access it. I can access my sata hdd though...hmmm

2. i cannot mount a usb drive...and I really need help with this

3. do I need to limit my 4GB of memory so that my machine doesn't hang?

Any assistance is appreciated

I did exactly as described, but have ended up (as with every update I tried) with a system that starts with a blank screen which cannot be brought alive.

I have a previous install of 10.5.2 at another partition that still works, but this is driving me crazy......

Please HELP!

hi heistsj

i use usb fix 1.3 to fix my usb problems. One drawback is that i have to install usb fix 1.3 again every time i insert a usb device though i dont have to restart after installing it.

I followed the directions to a tee, but basically blew the machine up. Anybody have any idea how to fix? Boot up is as follows:

crashvs2.th.jpg

Followed by the ever-popular, "Still waiting for root device"

Thanks in advance!

Intel D945GCF | 945G/GZ| E6320 Core2Duo | 2Gb DDR2 533MHz | Nvidia GeForce 7500LE | Sigmatel 9227 Audio | Intel Pro 100/VE LAN | SeaGate SATA HDD | 10.5.2 Kalyway

The above method worked fine(ish) for me, from Kalyway 10.5.2 --> 10.5.6. Needed to do a couple of tweaks to straighten a few bits and bobs out, but as far as I can tell (upgrade is still fresh), it's basically solid.

Brief System Specs - slightly upgraded HP g.3001

PentiumD 925 (P) DC 3.0 GHz

Intel 945GZ

Foxconn 945GZ7MC motherboard

2 gb RAM

500 gb HD

PCI USB card to add to on-board USB slots.

intel GMA950 onboard video chipset

The system worked and booted without a catch after following the upgrade instructions to the letter. I'm not 100% sure if I can use the vanilla kernel, so I installed Voodoo just to be safe.

However, after update, I could only get 1024x768 resolution for my video -- bit of an issue for a 1680x1050 monitor. This I resolved by using Pacifist to re-install (downgrade back) to the original Kalyway version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext tailored for GMA950 chipsets that I had installed at the original installation.

I also found that the kernel-panic problem happened when I tried to open up a .dmg file. This is a known problem, easy to Google, and fixable by downloading the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext and installing it over 10.5.6.

I just updated from kalyway 10.5.2 with Delta updates.. going from 5.2 to 5.3 from 5.3 to 5.4 etc... and I ended up with a "working" 10.5.6

The thing is I can only get into OS X if I boot up with "update"... really strange

Also when I tried to download iPhone SDK from the apple website it told me that my OS X needed to be at least 5.5 and also have itunes 8 ......... But when I click on "About this mac" it's says 5.6 and I just installed a fresh copy of iTunes, Still the message keeps popping up.

Also when I only had 5.5 I clicked the apple in the upper left hand corner and from there I clicked "Software updates" I waited and when the list popped up it told me I needed to update to 5.6

After I updated to 5.6 by following a method here on the forum I went again in software updates and now there was no 5.6... So it looks like Apple is verifying it's a 5.6 in the software updated but not on the website.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Over and out!

p.s. thanks in advance

Hi

Thanks for this great how to

Everything is working well except my laptop keyboard.

I Use the voodoo kernel as with the vanilla one I can't boot at all

Those who had some pbms with their PS2 devices, could you please post a solution or point me to a solution

Thanks a ton

sQualito

Just one other question

As we install pc EFI v9 and as I knwo my keyboard PS2 (laptpo) won't work on voodoo 10.5.6 with this how to, could I set in the /extra folder a modified KEXTS for my PS2 keyboard, test it under 10.5.2 then if everything is ok go to 10.5.6 ?

Am I right that the kext in the /extra folder are loaded before evrey others /System/Library/Extensions and so if it works on 10.5.2 it should also work on 10.5.6 ?

If I put these kext in the /extra folder do I have to delete them from the /System/Library/Extensions ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I had no trouble updating from kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.6 using the combo update and the netkas method, worked great for me doing the following steps:

back up your extensions/data

Install pc-efi 9 very reliable boot loader from http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48 open tools folder install bootloader.pkg. Ignore the dsdt stuff.

1. open directory utility enable root user from menu. set password.

2. open terminal type sudo su. enter password

3. in terminal typed without quotes. Enter.

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

4.mount 10.5.6 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!

5. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

6. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.

7. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.

8. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.

9. restart!

This worked great for me and i have tested it several times.

This caused a kernel panic right when the 10.5.6 update was installing. I am running kalyway 10.5.2 with the graphics update on a P5B, 9800GTX, 4gig@800mhz, and a 30inch Dell 2560x1600 monitor.

I've followed so many aids, I've switched video cards so many times, hackintosh just hates me.

I had no trouble updating from kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.6 using the combo update and the netkas method, worked great for me doing the following steps:

Install pc-efi 9 very reliable boot loader from http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48 open tools folder install bootloader.pkg. Ignore the dsdt stuff.

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

4.mount 10.5.6 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!

5. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

6. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.

9. restart!

I followed this for the most part and 10.5.6 was installed. The appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext didn't show up, although there was a appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext.orig folder already present in the Extensions folder. Deleted that instead.

Had to reboot with '-v -x' to get OS X to boot. Then rebooted back into normal mode.

My audio disappeared after rebooting, and CI\QE support was also gone. installed drivers to get the audio back (AL883) and the graphics problem actually resolved itself. CI/QE support was back one I switched back to normal mode.

A small problem is when I try to restart my pc from Leopard, it doesn't do so. The screen goes blank and the LED starts flickering a lot faster than normal. I have to cold-reboot the pc to get it working again. How do I sort this out?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I've tried to update using this method several times and every time I do it all works fine but as soon as it goes past the gray apple screen I just get a blue screen.

This is on a hp dv6102 laptop

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone tried these methods successfully on AMD?

No, i didn't had success with my AMD 64 3000+.

But finally i updated with ASU (amd software update).

I've got kalyway 10.5.2 updated successfully to 10.5.6, but i have 2 serious issues right now.

My graphics driver (Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT) and usb ports don't work anymore. I tried the USB Fix 1.3 for Kalyway, but nothing changed.

The nvidia driver problem i wanted to solve with a newer version of NVinject, but again nothing.

The driver doesn't recognized.

I would be grateful for every suggestion.

Greets,

psuecox

7. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.

8. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.

9. restart!

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the standard Apple combo 10.5.6 update or a kaylway combo update?

Thanks

9. restart!

When I follow this guide I get a message pop up in terminal, "unable to load info.plist extensions.

I ain't tried a reboot yet as it just poped up this second, but its happened before and I have got stuck at the Grey apple loading screen forever and nothing happens, anyone able to help? I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a T2130 (I think)

EDIT: I have now got to the loading screen, waits on the grey loading screen for a bit, then gets to the blue screen, then the screen turns black and I have to reboot. Any ideas?

um....... color me a douch.. but I can't seem to locate this "/System/InstallAtStartup/" I even sniffed around the invisibles files....

9. restart!

I had 10.5.2 up and running. I had to install jsas see2 or whatever patch or I would get the "Using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer header" error.

After I did the 10.5.6 update i am back to this same error?

Anyway to fix it?

everything works fine for me but when i click about this mac show me a blue screen and then show me the desktop again but i can't see what version of mac os x i have it like the system startup again. somebody have a solution??????

Hi I tried the steps in this post, but when I get to step "4.mount 1My s.5.6 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!"

my screen turns faded black and tells me to restart the pc. What should I do ?

• 4 weeks later...

anyone know if this would work for Leo4Allv3 10.5.2? I couldn't get Kaly to load right, so I went with Leo. I know have a pretty much perfect system, with the exception of the sleep fix which I need to load tonight.