[How To] Install Mac on a Vaio SZ7

vaiosz7

58 posts in this topic

Display

The X3100 drivers work without any modification :D after installing iATKOS v7 boot in safe mode (-x). This will enable You to see, well, at least a portion of your desktop :D I've grabbed the DSDT values from a Vista installed Sony Vaio SZ650N ( in speed mode) and modified my "/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/ DisplayProductID-717" to hold these values

IODisplayEDID

Change the IODisplayEDID data to the EDID data below

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 367F4000 00000000 2D0C0103 80201400 
EAA8E099 574B9225 1C505400 00000101 01010101 01010101
01010101 0101941B 00AD5020 0A304040 420042C9 10000018
000000FC 004E7669 64696120 44656661 756C0000 00FC0074
2466C61 74205061 6E656C00 000000FD 00003C1D 31080000 
20202020 200000D3

DisplayProductName

This entry probably isn't there so add these two lines

<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>Color LCD</string>

EDIT: Brightness controls

I just got the brightness controls working :D To enable it add these lines to your DSDT. It has to be added under the

Scope (\_SB). To keep all my modifications together I placed the entry under the PWRB device.

Device (PNLF)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
Name (_CID, "backlight")
Name (_UID, 0x0A)
Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Sleep

Expresscard ( 5 in 1 Cardreader )

Sleep worked out of the box :) I was very happy with it until I found out that with the expresscard plugged in, the machine immediately woke up again. I've heard real MACs have this issue too so I'm not going to put much of an effort in solving this issue. Anyone here who has some ideas?? :D

Display Lid

Closing the display lid didn't put the Vaio in sleep mode. Luckily this is easy to fix :D

You'll have to edit Your DSDT file and look for the 2 entries:

1. Add the SLPB device

Search for this entry:

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
	0x18,
	0x04	
})
}

Add the following device right under the PWRB device:

Device (SLPB)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0E"))
}

2. Enable sleep on display lid close

Search for this entry:

Method (_Q66, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (ECOK, 0x00))
{
	And (PHSB (0xC0, 0x82), 0x04, Local0)
	ShiftRight (Local0, 0x02, Local0)
} 
Else
{
	Store (LIDS, 0x00)
}
}

Under "ShiftRight (Local0, 0x02, Local0)" part add this line:

Notify (SLPB, 0x80)

Recompile the DSDT, reboot and test ;)

Battery

My batterymeter works with AppleACPIBatteryManagerb15 after applying the 10.5.8 update. It might work under 10.5.7, if not update to 10.5.8 :) The time remaining isn't accurate at all but the percentages seem to be correct ;)

Currently working on

Sound

I'm currently trying to manually patch the AppleHDA to get sound 100% working, I've corrected my linux audio dump (fixed pins) and got the Pin config data from the Vaio SZ650N. I'll keep you guys posted :)

off topic: before I installed it, I had a dual boot between xp

and windows 7. I decided it would be cool to have mac

and windows 7 on the same machine.

I used disk util to clear my XP hard drive partition and then installed

mac on top of it. My boot loader is Chameleon 2 and W7 is recognized,

but it simply wont boot because it gives me the error message: NTLDR is missing!!

what did I do wrong. Is there some way to fix this MBR issue?

Thanks guys

mm

Boot from the Windows 7 install DVD and run the "Repair my computer" or something...It might find Your problem and it will try to fix it. If this doesn't work. Open the command prompt from the menu and flag Your Windows 7 partition as the active partition. I'm not sure if I'm telling You this right, I did it once but don't remember it in detail.....Search the forum, the solution is there :)

alright I installed it the new V7 on my sz7,

it is not to difficult to do.

the only packages I would advise you to select

are the first Trackpad Driver, the Intel X3100. the

sound is selected by default so leave it.

however do NOT select the battery manager, because

this will crash your system.

now I have several issues to deal with:

first of all my camera doesn't work, i don't have

any drivers, but it would be cool if someone

gave my instructions on how to fix it.

most important of all, my headphone jack doesn't

work which is annoying!

two-finger scrolling?

the battery indicator. did anyone have success?

apart from the issues above I am overall quite pleased

with the performance of the system. It runs smooth and

is really good to work with.

off topic: before I installed it, I had a dual boot between xp

and windows 7. I decided it would be cool to have mac

and windows 7 on the same machine.

I used disk util to clear my XP hard drive partition and then installed

mac on top of it. My boot loader is Chameleon 2 and W7 is recognized,

but it simply wont boot because it gives me the error message: NTLDR is missing!!

what did I do wrong. Is there some way to fix this MBR issue?

Thanks guys

mm

i solved the audio out with the codec dump(codec_dump1.txt) i got from a live linux cd i'll share it with you.it gives you audio out and internal mic but no mic in.

and i have a cpu problem that it heats a lot, reaches around 100 C degrees and then automaticly shuts down

codec_dump1.txt

now we have to wait for WiFi and everything is complete!! :D Thank you sooo much guys!!http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=45&t=143427&qpid=1223278

Yeah! Thanks so much, I was really happy that so many people showed interest in Leopard on a Vaio.

We still need drivers for

- Fingerprint Scanner -.- not really

- camera <- that would be sweet because then we could use photo booth

- wifi <- that one is important

- scrolling!

yeah I used the search function, but I haven't found anything on Windows 7 yet. i am sure it will be easy when I get to it though...

one more question: how do you patch the DSDT? I have downloaded the GUI Patcher..not even fetching and decompiling works.. :D

thanks anyways everyone!!

Yeah! Thanks so much, I was really happy that so many people showed interest in Leopard on a Vaio.

We still need drivers for

- Fingerprint Scanner -.- not really

- camera <- that would be sweet because then we could use photo booth

- wifi <- that one is important

- scrolling!

yeah I used the search function, but I haven't found anything on Windows 7 yet. i am sure it will be easy when I get to it though...

one more question: how do you patch the DSDT? I have downloaded the GUI Patcher..not even fetching and decompiling works.. :D

thanks anyways everyone!!

GUI Patcher does grab your DSDT, even if it can't compile :D Have You looked in the sessions folder -> debug ?? There's a DSDT.dsl file if I'm correct...

Here is an interesting post abour our webcams.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54181

I have a Vaio SZ650N and i'm really interested on installing OSX for the first time.

What about these devices I have in XP called:

* sny5001 SONY NOTEBOOK CONTROL (FIRMWARE EXTENSION PARSER)

* sny6001 Sony Programmable I/O

¿?

I have dualboot between win7 and leopard. If I boot into win7, load the camera app and restart directly into leopard, the camera gets noticed natively! I even played around with photo booth a bit!

funny story.. :)

also I cannot seem to get my battery to work properly. Is there a method installing it in a way that the internal keyboard and trackpad do not stop working if I disconnect the AC power cable??

THanks

Guys, I've got a little issue with my X3100. The performance drops badly when my SZ is booted without the AC plugged in.....I used XBench to test the GPU performance and the score is about 75% lower when running on battery. The performance stays the same when switching to battery mode while running Leopard.....strange isn't? Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
Display

The X3100 drivers work without any modification :D after installing iATKOS v7 boot in safe mode (-x). This will enable You to see, well, at least a portion of your desktop ;) I've grabbed the DSDT values from a Vista installed Sony Vaio SZ650N ( in speed mode) and modified my "/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/ DisplayProductID-717" to hold these values

IODisplayEDID

Change the IODisplayEDID data to the EDID data below

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 367F4000 00000000 2D0C0103 80201400 
EAA8E099 574B9225 1C505400 00000101 01010101 01010101
01010101 0101941B 00AD5020 0A304040 420042C9 10000018
000000FC 004E7669 64696120 44656661 756C0000 00FC0074
2466C61 74205061 6E656C00 000000FD 00003C1D 31080000 
20202020 200000D3

DisplayProductName

This entry probably isn't there so add these two lines

<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>Color LCD</string>

EDIT: Brightness controls

I just got the brightness controls working :D To enable it add these lines to your DSDT. It has to be added under the

Scope (\_SB). To keep all my modifications together I placed the entry under the PWRB device.

Device (PNLF)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
Name (_CID, "backlight")
Name (_UID, 0x0A)
Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Sleep

Expresscard ( 5 in 1 Cardreader )

Sleep worked out of the box :) I was very happy with it until I found out that with the expresscard plugged in, the machine immediately woke up again. I've heard real MACs have this issue too so I'm not going to put much of an effort in solving this issue. Anyone here who has some ideas?? :)

Display Lid

Closing the display lid didn't put the Vaio in sleep mode. Luckily this is easy to fix :D

You'll have to edit Your DSDT file and look for the 2 entries:

1. Add the SLPB device

Search for this entry:

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
	0x18,
	0x04	
})
}

Add the following device right under the PWRB device:

Device (SLPB)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0E"))
}

2. Enable sleep on display lid close

Search for this entry:

Method (_Q66, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (ECOK, 0x00))
{
	And (PHSB (0xC0, 0x82), 0x04, Local0)
	ShiftRight (Local0, 0x02, Local0)
} 
Else
{
	Store (LIDS, 0x00)
}
}

Under "ShiftRight (Local0, 0x02, Local0)" part add this line:

Notify (SLPB, 0x80)

Recompile the DSDT, reboot and test ;)

Battery

My batterymeter works with AppleACPIBatteryManagerb15 after applying the 10.5.8 update. It might work under 10.5.7, if not update to 10.5.8 :) The time remaining isn't accurate at all but the percentages seem to be correct ;)

Currently working on

Sound

I'm currently trying to manually patch the AppleHDA to get sound 100% working, I've corrected my linux audio dump (fixed pins) and got the Pin config data from the Vaio SZ650N. I'll keep you guys posted :)

Boot from the Windows 7 install DVD and run the "Repair my computer" or something...It might find Your problem and it will try to fix it. If this doesn't work. Open the command prompt from the menu and flag Your Windows 7 partition as the active partition. I'm not sure if I'm telling You this right, I did it once but don't remember it in detail.....Search the forum, the solution is there :)

Yure thanks for sharing this. I too have a Sony SZ650NC and I wanted to fix the sleep mode. My sleep mode has stopped working for some reason. It used to work but now it doesn't. Any ways I wanted to know if you can give a idiot proof guide on modifying and recompiling DSDT. I tried the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip but when I click the DSDT Patcher I get a lot of errors and the aml file is not created. any help is appreciated.

Yure thanks for sharing this. I too have a Sony SZ650NC and I wanted to fix the sleep mode. My sleep mode has stopped working for some reason. It used to work but now it doesn't. Any ways I wanted to know if you can give a idiot proof guide on modifying and recompiling DSDT. I tried the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip but when I click the DSDT Patcher I get a lot of errors and the aml file is not created. any help is appreciated.

I'll write a guide when I've got more time on my hands. In the mean time, check the DSDT topics on various linux forums. That will probably help You a lot :-)

cheers

I'll write a guide when I've got more time on my hands. In the mean time, check the DSDT topics on various linux forums. That will probably help You a lot :-)

cheers

Thanks, I will. In the mean time I figured why the sleep is not working anymore. Apparently it is because I upgraded to 10.5.8. When you are posting in case you had the same problem and resolved it I would appreciate if you mention that too.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Vaio SZ650N and I've succesfully installed Snow Leopard retail doing this:

- Using Speed mode (Nvidia 8400M GPU ) the intel don't work.

- Preparing an USB installer with a 8 GB or bigger pendrive or external harddisk using anoter workin OSX installation to prepare it.

- First restore the Snow leopard DMG image to the 8GB pendrive using disk utility. And then used NETBOOK MAKER to prepare it with necesary kexts and chameleon to boot. ( don't use netbook installer found in that page, netbook installer is for post installation configuration and is not made for our vaios.

Boot from that USB and install ! I only installed sound using the tips on this thread.

Once installed you can install chameleon and some kexts nedded In order to boot from Hard disk and not using that USB ( I don't know what kexts are the must have )

I don't know how to get 1280x800 and QE and CI working on intel or on Nvidia :D

sorry to anybody who recently pms me about Snow Leopard on vaio sz7

due to small screen size(i usually use 17" before i bought this SZ)

so I bought a macbook pro 17" back in June.

and haven't touch my SZ yet.

And i'm also unbelievable busy this few months.

due to my part time job and my studying schedule.

i might get on the snow kitty train later on when i can

but i don't know a thing about SZ on snow kitty just yet.

I'm really sorry about that.

Thank you,

Titan

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to get this to work on a SZ650 with the iATKOS v7. I must be doing something wrong, it does not work. Here some questions, maybe someone can help:

1. after installing everything into a logical volume partition, it does not boot and gives an error. It starts with the CD in the drive but then gives me the gray apple screen and the forever rotating wheel.

2. I fixed booting by installing grub from my linux and using boot_v8 . Seems to work, I can get to the same spinning wheel without the CD.

3. Can you be more specific about the install?

a) do I need to perform installation in the Speed or Stamina mode?

B) do I keep all settings, or do I need to select/deselect some? (I tried selecting the X3100 or leaving them unchecked, neither worked).

c) when I then boot with the -x option again, do I need to be in Stamina or Speed mode?

d) should I remove the card adapter (I read it might lead to difficulties with the sleep mode, so maybe also during installation)?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Another question:

Is VT and AHCI on the Sony Vaio necessary for this? I haven't adjusted my bios.

What's that good for anyway? I heard vmware is possible without VT and it is not clear if it is faster anyway? And not sure what I would need AHCI for?

thanx

I am trying to get this to work on a SZ650 with the iATKOS v7. I must be doing something wrong, it does not work.

I still did not get it to work with iAtkos but it installed correctly with Leo4All v2 as described in the first post.

Ethernet (Marvell Yukon 88e8055 ) does not work. I tried everything described in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t69396.html (PCISecondaryMatch etc) and also Titan's kext without any luck.

If anyone has Ethernet running on sz650 please tell me how you did it.

I am trying to get this to work on a SZ650 with the iATKOS v7. I must be doing something wrong, it does not work. Here some questions, maybe someone can help:

1. after installing everything into a logical volume partition, it does not boot and gives an error. It starts with the CD in the drive but then gives me the gray apple screen and the forever rotating wheel.

2. I fixed booting by installing grub from my linux and using boot_v8 . Seems to work, I can get to the same spinning wheel without the CD.

3. Can you be more specific about the install?

a) do I need to perform installation in the Speed or Stamina mode?

;) do I keep all settings, or do I need to select/deselect some? (I tried selecting the X3100 or leaving them unchecked, neither worked).

c) when I then boot with the -x option again, do I need to be in Stamina or Speed mode?

d) should I remove the card adapter (I read it might lead to difficulties with the sleep mode, so maybe also during installation)?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Another question:

Is VT and AHCI on the Sony Vaio necessary for this? I haven't adjusted my bios.

What's that good for anyway? I heard vmware is possible without VT and it is not clear if it is faster anyway? And not sure what I would need AHCI for?

thanx

I have a sony SZ650N/C and I have managed to get the iATKOS v7 working on it. Here is what I did.

1. put your laptop on stamina before starting
  2. put the iATKOS CD and boot from it. Format the partition you want to install at using extended Journal (make sure NOT to select the case sensitive one since some application created for MAC do not install on case sensitive drive. For example Photoshop). To do this use the Disk Utility software (it is on one of the drop down menus on top)
  3. for installation options keep the default checked items with the following additions/reductions:

1. remove voodoo HDA driver
    2. check the Vooodoo PS2 support (the one that has both the keyboard and track-pad support)
    3. check the x3100 graphic driver

[*]Let the CD do the installation and when it reboots the screen seems to be unaligned. go through account setup process and then use the guide by titan to fix the screen alignment with SwitchResX software.

[*]install the audio using the audio instructions given at the first post of this thread.

[*]install the Ethernet using the instructions given at the first post of this thread.

[*]if you want the wireless card to work as well buy a Broadcom 4321 mini PCI-E card from ebay and swap it with your intel wireless card before installing iATKOS. If you decide to do that make sure you check the Broadcom driver at the time of installation. (search for Broadcom 4321 on ebay. you can get one for around $15-$30USD)

I hope this helps. I have enjoyed using this great operating system a lot. The only problem I have is that ever since I upgraded to 10.5.8 the sleep doesn't work anymore and I have to shutdown the computer every time I want to move.

I have a sony SZ650N/C and I have managed to get the iATKOS v7 working on it. Here is what I did. ...

Thanks, I did exactly as you describe and get the same error:

Restarting with -x -v mode I see these messages:

Oct 30 12:48:51 localhost fseventsd[26]: log dir: /Volumes/NO NAME/.fseventsd getting new uuid: 816175 ....

Oct 30 12:48:53 localhost mDNSResponder[22]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default bDevice-0000000000000b instead

Oct 30 .... user-specified local hostname; using default BDevice-00000000000000.localb instead

the last two messages (mDNSResponder) are repeated twice, then it hangs.

Also tried to:

- switch off Wifi and

- remove Ethernet cable and

- memory Card adaptor.

- re-burned the DVD and reinstalled twice

- checked MD5 of iso file, which is correct.

Still the same.

So I decided to once more reinstall this but I unchecked the Bootloader and removed the memory card adaptor and unpluged ethernet cable during install

Now it works :) (I think it was the bootloader, still very strange why it got so far in the boot process before?).

Fixing the resolution works...

Ethernet did NOT work with the kext from the first post (same as with the leo4all install, see my last post). Got it working now using the PCIsecondaryMatch (see link above to that discussion).

Also NVidia works with internal screen using the packages from the leo4all disk (/System/Installation/Packages/NVidia/...).

Open problems:

1. touchpad is too fast ! VoodooPS2 in SystemPref gives this error when opening: "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found", then the slider is already to the left (slow) and when changing anything and closing it, it crashes. I reinstalled VoodooPS2+Trackpad, but no impovement.

Does anyone know how to fix this or where the corresponding package is located in the leo4all disk? That worked much better.

2. Cannot go to sleep mode (I did not update to 10.5.8, but did the other recommended updates like itunes etc. not sure which one causes the sleep mode to break).

Anyone ever get the internal screen working with hardware acceleration on all those NVIDIA go chips?

I have a vgn-ar250g with a geforce go 7600

no sorry to burst your bubble, but it is not possible, at least for now. many have tried before, including myself and have not succeeded.

I hope that someday we might get lucky!

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed Aikos v7 on my sony Vaio sz670n with almost no issues. I have been able to make everything work and swapped my internal wifi card out for a broadcom. The only problem I have is making it work in speed mode. I am not sure how to install the Nvinjectgo.kext from the leo4all version as mentioned above. I did extract the kext and applied it, but upon reboot I just get a black screen. Any ideas on how to make my 8400m work so I can use speed mode, without having to go back to Leo4all 5.2

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I tried installing OSx on my Sony....(Got a Macbook from work recently) but...can't stop myself from trying to install 10.6 :( It's working but without sound and batterymanagement.......Anyone here playing around with 10.6 here?

Cheers!

using the intel GMAX3100 card, Nvidia is still a problem ;) I used the retail DVD, booted with chameleon via USB and used these kexts in E/E:

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

- VoodooPS2Controller.kext

I'll post a detailed How-to next week