Trouble loading Logic Pro 8?

strhess

23 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have a p5w dh with q6600, 4 gig of ram, and it runs fine. But when i go to install logic pro 8 i get a message asking me to make sure i have a suitable graphics card.

Anyone had similar problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry Guys,

i could remember what the video card was. It is an Asus EN8500 GT-S 512mb. In system profiler it comes up with the full 512mb of vram and the proper nVidia Chipset.

I am a complete noob, my friend built the machine for me and i am just now starting to learn about how this all works. What is QE and IC and how do i check if it is working?

Also when the computer boots the video card puts out a black screen till it goes to sleep, once it wakes up after going to sleep everything works fine? Anyone had similar issues? I am using the vga output, do i need to use the DVI output?

Thanks for your help so far.

Sorry Guys,

i could remember what the video card was. It is an Asus EN8500 GT-S 512mb. In system profiler it comes up with the full 512mb of vram and the proper nVidia Chipset.

I am a complete noob, my friend built the machine for me and i am just now starting to learn about how this all works. What is QE and IC and how do i check if it is working?

Also when the computer boots the video card puts out a black screen till it goes to sleep, once it wakes up after going to sleep everything works fine? Anyone had similar issues? I am using the vga output, do i need to use the DVI output?

Thanks for your help so far.

you´re missing all the basics. you should install yourself - just to learn :D

CI = Core Image QE=Quartz Extreme. it is also written in the system profiler (supported,not supported).

the asus p5w dh is imho the best board you can use for a os x 86 project.mine is working with a retail install 100%.

you could also follow this guide I wrote for an other board http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132695.

the video card will work so far.

I would have installed myself but my friend had kalway already and i was not sure where to obtain it myself. Plus my left arm is paralysed from a motor cycle accident so putting the hardware together was the biggest issue to me.

I regret not doing it myself now. Can i just ask if a retail install has less bugs than Kalway and if so is it much harder to get it to install is it?

Anyway i have checked and Core Image comes up as "software" and Quartz Extreme as "not supported" any idea what could be wrong and how do i go about rectifying?

Also i have overclocked the Q6600 to run at 3ghz and the FSB to 1.3ghz, the cpu does have an after market cooler but i would love to find a program that monitors system temps etc?

Cheers again! Really appreciate you putting up with my noob questions and schooling me in the art of osx86.

My specs are as follows:

-P5W-DH with Q6600 overclocked to 3Ghz and FSB @ 1.3Ghz

-4 gig 667Mhz SDRAM (2x2Gb Kingston sticks)

-Asus EN8500GT-S 512mb

-M-audio auidophile 2496 using Envy drivers

-160gig western digital system drive

-320gig & 750gig western digital data drives

-Antec Sonata 3 case with earth power 500watt PSU

The System Install is Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4, as i mentioned earlier i did not do this install so i am not sure if it was done correctly. He used a how to guide from life hacker (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/tips/2008/01/25/install_os_x_on_your_hackintosh_pc_no_hacking_required-2.html)

I am a complete novice with all computer hardware/operating system type work. Previously the best i had done before this was install a video card and some ram along with some audio recording hardware. So i know this must seem a stupid question but where do i download efi studio and once i have is the set up a step by step walk you through it operation or do you need programming knowledge?

I have searched the forums for answers but there is so much information and so many different system variations i haven't been able to find the right information. Although i am sure its out there some where. I do hate asking if i don't need to. I know how annoying those questions can be.

Thanks for your replies Peach

your a newbie and you want to run logic on a DAW.

that´s exactly the reason I wrote that guide I mentioned before. in this guide you will find a link to a very good search engine.

with it you can find everything you need.there is also a link to a package. download it - there are some helpful tools already in it.

if you want to work seriously with video or music files, you need also a good backup strategy.therefore you should have an other os x install for backup and maintenance. you have enough disks in your system.....so what are you waiting for? :P

i sorted it out by looking on the osx86.org site and found some one who had listed a link to how they sorted there card. And ended up downloading the efi studio application. And once i had run it everything was recognised.

And i have now loaded logic pro 8 only to find out that i am not getting sound from the output of my computer.

Does it just use the native sound card? So do i change the sound card by accessing system preferences and then clicking on soud?

Logic showed sound levels within the application, i was just not getting any output, so do people agree that the issue must be the output being routed to the correct sound card???

i sorted it out by looking on the osx86.org site and found some one who had listed a link to how they sorted there card. And ended up downloading the efi studio application. And once i had run it everything was recognised.

And i have now loaded logic pro 8 only to find out that i am not getting sound from the output of my computer.

Does it just use the native sound card? So do i change the sound card by accessing system preferences and then clicking on soud?

Logic showed sound levels within the application, i was just not getting any output, so do people agree that the issue must be the output being routed to the correct sound card???

the most problems of a computer are sitting in front of the display ;)

it seems that you even don´t have a basic knowledge. you can´t expect people teaching you online. I gave you the search engine link. you should find everything on your own. everything on a computer needs a driver. on os x they are called kernel extensions -called "kexts". check your soundcard and search for it.

I know everything on a computer needs a driver. With the graphics card i did search the sites and find the solution and fix it myself. All i wanted was to be pointed in the right direction by those with the knowledge that i don't posess. It is not my fault that i do not have any knowledge of programming. I have never been taught how. Were you born with all the computer knowledge and skill you have or did you learn from others. By observing and asking questions? So am i not allowed to be ignorant of some things? Is it a crime to ask for help?

And for your information i have used macs before without any issues such as those i have faced with the hackintosh. All i was after was some direction from those who had more knowledge than me. And not that i think you would care, i managed to sort the audio drivers all on my own. wow, isn't that amazing, without even basic knowledge. Must have been a fluke.

Regards to you Peach.

it seems that i didn´t say it friendly enough.......you got me wrong. I tried to point you to the right direction instead of ignoring you.

I would recommend you: start from scratch. that´s better and easier than figuring out someone´s non working config......and at the end you will understand much more.......and believe me: you will need it :angel:

Sorry Peach. I guess i took it the wrong way just because i do lack a little knowledge. And i think you are right about the re-install. I have logic working and loaded one of the demos. It will not even play for 3 seconds. Just jitters and then stops. Thats with the processor running @ 3ghz and FSB @ 1.3ghz. I would have exected a Q6600 with 4gig of ram not to have any such issues. I ran an Xbench test and came out with a total score of 198.45. And just with the computer running firefox right now i only have 2.1gig of system memory free.

The weirdest thing though is that when i start up the computer sometimes it will start up quickly without issue. Other times it takes ages to load the operating system and then outputs a black screen until the computer goes to sleep, once it wakes the screen becomes normal. But often the Envy24 audio drivers i installed for my m-audio 2496 soundcard will disappear from system preferences. Then the next time i boot they are there.

Guess i should have just gotten my mate to put the hardware together an then taken it from there myself.

I guess its time to bite the bullet and go for a clean install. Would you recommend Kalyway 10.5.2 for an asus p5w-dh mobo? From all the reading i have done its been the most consistently used. I am assuming thats because it has the easiest install with least issues. Am i right?

Cheers for your help again Peach and again i apologise for jumping to conclusions.

kalyway works good with the pw5 dh - but nevertheless I would install also the retail version on this board.If you follow my guide for the EP45 DAW, it will also work perfectly for this machine. have a look on my sig: with retail working 100%

kalyway works good with the pw5 dh - but nevertheless I would install also the retail version on this board.If you follow my guide for the EP45 DAW, it will also work perfectly for this machine. have a look on my sig: with retail working 100%

So whats the advantage disadvantage of retail install. My main concern is whether it takes more skill/time to install. And once installed whether it will have less issues than a kalyway install.

with retail install you come closer to a real mac - means less trouble with updates. also you know what you have patched. installing the retail will take an other hour....and yes it needs more skills than pushing a button - but with the guides here it´s easy as long as you follow them exactly and you learn a lot.

with retail install you come closer to a real mac - means less trouble with updates. also you know what you have patched. installing the retail will take an other hour....and yes it needs more skills than pushing a button - but with the guides here it´s easy as long as you follow them exactly and you learn a lot.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at a few different guides. I think i might give it a go. It is best to stick with a 7300gt for the graphics? Where i but parts don't stock those anymore. Just wondering if i suppliment with another will it cause me problems. I am guessing it will and i should just take the time to get the e7300gt.

cheers again peach.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at a few different guides. I think i might give it a go. It is best to stick with a 7300gt for the graphics? Where i but parts don't stock those anymore. Just wondering if i suppliment with another will it cause me problems. I am guessing it will and i should just take the time to get the e7300gt.

cheers again peach.

the 7300gt makes sense setting up a new system only to run logic. you have already a 8500gt what should be better - so use it.