NVidia 9600GT Overheating

willgner

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My hackintosh works just perfect under all circunstances, except when gaming.

After tracking symptons on different games on different forums, everything points out that my system completely freezes after heavy video card usage.

I have a XFX Nvidia 9600 GT fully working, dual monitors, full resolution, the fan goes to iddle when the system is running, etc...

But I believe the fan remains at iddle when gaming instead of constantly changing its speed as more power is required.

I tried some temperature monitors and fan controls, but none of them detect the videocard. I can only see temperature of hard disks.

My question is, if is there any way to manually set the fan speed, so I can tune it up when gaming or at least a way to track the cards temperature.

Oh yeah, I would also like to hear about how are you people with 9600Gt performing with games.

Thanks in advance!

Hello.I had the same exactly the same problem and card.There is no software to control your fan speed.What i have done is cutting the blue wire from the fan cable on my card(there are three cable yellow,green and blue) forced the card to run at 100% speed fan:).Or you can just add a switch on the blue cable so you can disable it every time you get in to OsX.Works 100%.Enjoy.

With the newest kexts the fan should be running faster when it has load, I have a temperature monitor (AeroGate II), one of the probes is attached to my 9800GX and normally when I run some heavy tests the monitor shows the temperature increase and I hear the fan more loud. This happens on Windows also.

That does not show the version of the kext but the injector which is not a driver. Click where it say "Extensions" then click to NV*.kext

Maybe if you use EFI String instead of NVinject can also make the fan work.

Ok, here`s what it says:

Picture1-1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Macgirl, I have no experience in kext editing and EFI Strings.

But I am not lazy =], and I don`t want to take your time writing all the process. Just point me out the directions.

Thanks for giving hope on this =]

Well I have 1.5.36.25 (17.3.5f14) version, so maybe you are still with 10.5.5 kexts, mine are 10.5.6

If you are on 10.5.5 update to 10.5.6 and you are set, if you already are with 10.5.6 re-apply the 10.5.6 update and don't run the NVInstaller which it has previous kexts.

If that does not work you can use OSXTools to make your EFI Strings, no need to get the hands dirty :rolleyes:

By the way, it is weird that NVDANV30Hal is loaded, that kext is for older cards (Geforce 5xxx series).

I am using Ideneb 1.3 wich is Leopard 10.5.5

Is it possible to mess up things when updating to 10.5.6? Is there any kind of restoration point like in windows? Can I use official updates or should I download somewhere else?

This EFI Strings thing, should I disable something before applying it?

I am sorry if I sound dumb, this is really new to me.

10.5.6 could be applied to any installation (iDeneb, kaly, iATKOS, etc) with proper care, you can look at the guides for installing 10.5.6.

There are also guides to EFI strings, but now there are some apps that make EFI strings for you, if you install EFI strings you no longer need Injectors, so if in this case you use an EFI string for you Graphics card you need to get rid of NVDarwin. but best place tos start is the 10.5.6 update, read about the proper cares befre applying.

There is no such thing as restoration point, I don't know if Time Machine can restore the system also, but you can make a duplication of your disk, there are several apps also, CCC (aka Carbon Coply Cloner) or super duper, etc.

Im am very sorry to say that the update totaly destroyed my instalation.

As soon as the system starts to boot, the window with "you need to restart" appears and I can´t even read the errors behind it.

I´ve looked for guides, but the information is sooooo fragmented and confused that I could not rely on wich one is correct. Same goes for EFI Strings.

Well, for this year, thats the end, i will be traveling the next 4 days. Will reformat and reinstall everything and just leave as it is.. =[