MacDrive Lost ALL Data. RECOVERY OPTIONS?

Brandon Roots

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend a good Data Recovery Utility for an HFS+ drive partition? I have tried Data Rescue II, TestDisk (open source), and Stellar's Data Recovery, all to no avail.

My trouble started when I installed MacDrive to have access to my HFS+ external hard drive in Windows XP. When my firewire drive failed to show under 'My Computer' I made the mistake of selecting Partition -> Rename in the MacDrive menu. DONT DO THIS, it will result in a new partition replacing any existing partitions on your drive. I was horrified to discover my drive, along with all of my work, was wiped clean.

So far I was able to get pretty far with Data Rescue II, after doing a "Thorough Scan" (which took 5 hours) all of my files showed up in the viewer, but I was unable to actually recover any of the files because none of the "Allocation Blocks Layout" block size and offset options work, so I just end up with corrupted files.

I am desperate, please help.

P.S. Games in Win XP on my MacBook Pro are awesome.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

if your disk is just broken try also diskwarrior. it has saved my lifea couple of times. I suggest to use the latest version on snow cause it give errors frequently. the best solution is a partition with leopard, possibly on a real mac (like an old g5), with that you are really in good hands

• 6 months later...

thanks for the reccomendations everyone, i would like to disclaimer for everyone else to NOT use macdrive. If you must do anything install it, get access to the files you need then remove it. Long time member here with words of wisdom, hopefully i can recover all my files