Imac G4, nvram, "real-size" changed, now its dead :(

7 posts in this topic

Hia experts out there,

I had some problems with an IMac I was told it should have 640 MB of ram. System Profiler only showed 128 MB so I started searching for the reason. Somewhere someone was reporting that his nvram parameters of his ram-size were wrongly entered and that he was able to fix this by editing the nvram parameters. This did not work for me so I looked at the other nvram options and saw "real-size" set to -1 (Now I know that this is correct) and chose to change it to +1. Boom, what a stupid decision. This Mac now is only donging when powered on but does not do anything more. I tried every key combination to reset pram/nvram or do get into open firmware (apple+alt+n+v, apple+alt+p+r, apple+alt+o+f) nothing works.

Is there anything more that I could do? I removed the moterboards battery and disconnected AC. But I have no big hopes. As far as I know nvram is not non-permanent ram.

Any ideas would be greatly apreciated.

-TiLT-

P.S. Hours of googling later, opened the baseplate (128 MB ram written on it), not finding the 512MB ram-module and asking some questions to the client, who ever worked with this mac (its in an university), I found out that it formerly belonged to a person that was fired because of stealing things of his workstation. Somehow I really feel kidded now.

Hi,

no success :)

I unplugged the power cable, pressed the power button and replugged the power cable. I waited about three minutes with the power button pressed, but there was no sound.

The serial number, written on the baseplate is: QT248073MAY

Shoud I repeat the procedure or is there no more chance?

-TiLT-

Okay I finaly got it working again. For a reason I do not know, I was unable to get into the open firmware until I removed the internal 128MB Ram module. Then plugged in a S0DIMM to the expansion slot. Now powering on and keeping the power-button pressed all the time opened the open-firmware. nvram-reset, set-defaults and reset-all did the job then.

Thank you VaiOSX for showing me the right way.

closed