nVidia 9800 GT 1GB DDR3

k0k0

47 posts in this topic

Well I it looks like I have some idea what is going on with the 9800 GT cards, but I have little idea how to fix it with my setup. I just built my first hack (EX-45-3DP, Q9550, EVGA 9800 GT 512mb DDR3.) I installed Snow Lep, and it all worked on my Sharp Aquos 35" TV, set to 1080p and connected via an HDMI to DVI cable. I upgraded to 10.6.2, and poof, the monitor goes black after the EFI screen. I reinstalled system software 3 times, and upgraded it 3 times - same problem over and over. Finally took the computer over to a friend's house and it worked!! So I took the computer home, plugged it in, and it no longer worked. I pulled out a spare digital 20" monitor, plugged the computer into the DVI port on the monitor -- it works perfectly!!

So it looks like 10.6.2 changed something in the video card driver. Anyone know what files in OSX got changed? I don't boot the way most people do here, so, not sure where this files reside.

Hope this helps

I can now confirm that 9800GT problem exists in 10.6.2 both with EFI-X dongle and using EP45UD3P OSx86 v3 listed from lifehacker article. Both installs work with 10.6 with a DVI-->HDMI connector on my Sharp Aquos TV, but both fail in 10.6.2 with this same setup with a black screen upon leaving the bootloader and going to 10.6.2 (all video bios and bootloader work before that moment.)

Any suggestions.

Unzip the file enclosed which is com.apple.boot.plist Copy it and open finder and head to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, paste the attached file into the system folder and over write it (authenticate) . Close and save the file and reset. If it doesn't let you save it, save as a copy elsewhere and you can move it back replacing the old one. Make sure to save a backup copy of the original just in case. Reset your computer. If you had full QE/CI prior to making these changes, browse over to /system/library/extensions and delete NVinject/Natit/NVKush.kext or whatever you were using.

I did this to get my PNY 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3 RAM with DUAL outputs working. I am unsure about running that audio cable to the video card to the mother board to get sound fo the HDMI adapter included. My card is working flawlessly. Did a little SMBIO editing and it shows perfectly. Good luck!

I am using a GA-EX58-UD3R and you can see in my SIG

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Hello,

I really wanted to start a new thread with my issue but this is my first post so I am currently unable to do so. Here is my issue:

I am trying to get 4 monitors going at once with my hackintosh. I just started editing video so I need 4 screens: mix + edit + video + plugins. I just purchased a BFG GeForce 7600 GT 256MB GDDR3 PCIe video card to use in addition to my BFG GeForce 9800 GTX+ which is already working fine. I can't seem to get it working. But before I get too ahead of myself, let me list my hardware.

~

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

Chipset: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz

Video: BFG 9800 GTX+ 512mb DDR3 PCIe, BFG 7600 GT 256mb DDR3 PCIe

Ram: 8GB aData PC6400 800MHz (4X2 GB)

HDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm

OSx86 configuration: I used the 'UD3P Magic' method as outlined in Adam Pash's article. [http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required]. I feel kind of like I cheated by going this route, but I believe it uses Chameleon RC3 (or maybe 2?) and PC EFI.

Mac OS X version: I used the UD3P Magic installer to install 10.6.0. I then updated to 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 after reading on Adam Pash's site that these updates would be fine.

~

The process: OK, so here's what I've already gone through. I've read in many places that if you want to use two cards with osX86 you need to put your primary card in PEG2 and set your primary card to PEG2 in the BIOS. As a result, I started by putting my 9800GTX+ in the PEG2 slot and my 7600GT in the PEG1 slot. I booted up my computer (the bios was set to peg2) and tried to run Mac OS. I see the loading screen but then right before the OS is launched the loading wheel freezes and I get the 'you must restart' screen. I also tried setting my primary card to PEG1 in the bios (switching over to the 7600 GT). When I do this I get a similar result - I try to start Mac OS, but this time I actually SEE the background and the dock, etc with the 7600 card but I get the 'you must restart' screen within 5 seconds of the operating system running. I also tried setting the primary graphics port to PCI in the BIOS to see if that would work but it did not.

I took apart my computer and reversed the order of the cards - 9800GTX+ in PEG1 and 7600 GT in PEG2. I then booted up my computer again and tried setting my BIOS to PEG2. Once again, Mac OS crashes right when it's about to load the background and the dock, etc. I restart and set my BIOS to PEG1 (the 9800GTX+) and try to restart. This time Mac OS X actually starts! Everything is stable, just like before. I connect a second monitor to my second card (7600 GT in PEG2) and see if I can set the displays correctly. Unfortunately Mac OS is not detecting the display in Display Properties so I can't do anything.

This is how my 7600 GT shows up in System Profiler.

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0391

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display Connector:

So obviously MAC OS knows it's there but doesn't want to do anything with it. That is how the Displays show up when I have a monitor connected too, it just says "display connector".

~

So do I just run OSX86 Tools now and install EFI strings for the 7600 GT? I see it in the list... If I install this EFI string it won't overwrite my current 9800GTX drivers will it? I'm just confused because I thought that if you were using two graphics cards with osx86 and wanted 3 or 4 displays you had to have your primary graphics card in PEG2 and set your BIOS to PEG2? The only configuration that has worked for me is putting my 9800GTX+ in PEG1 and setting the BIOS to PEG1. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it! Sorry if this is a little off topic in this thread but I could not post my own.

Thanks,

AudioArchetype

Hello again,

I just read an article on editing DSDT files as an alternative to using EFI Strings or other injectors? I'm a little new to this stuff. Here is the guide:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/adv...a-graphics.html

Can anyone tell me if this guide is the solution to my problem? It looks like it might work since I use Chameleon. I'm assuming that OpenCL, QE, and CI are already enabled via the 'UD3P Magic' installer because my 9800GTX+ already seems to be displaying everything correctly.

I don't want to destroy my computer, please help!

Thanks,

AudioArchetype

• 2 weeks later...

Audio over HDMI search.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

Chipset: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz

Video: Gigabyte 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 PCIe, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI

Ram: 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 PC312800 1600 MHz (4X2 GB)

HDs: 2x Hitachi 1TB, 1x WD 1TB, 1x WD 160 (Dual boot W7 and OSX Snow 10.6)

Recently built my MediaPC with the wooden HTPC 8000 case. The only one my wife would allow in the living room.

Used Kakewalk to load Snow, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195248

Using Easy BCD for the dual boot

By far the easiest install I have ever attempted. Also recognized my 9800 with no issues.

My only issue is getting sound over HDMI to my 47" LG. Looks great!

Haven't heard anyone who has successfully got this to work. If so, please inform. Also unable to update to 10.6.2. No worries, not in a hurry. Enjoying the build. Thank you Insanleymac and members, and my wife, for making this all possible.

Javo

• 2 weeks later...
Audio over HDMI search.

My only issue is getting sound over HDMI to my 47" LG. Looks great!

Haven't heard anyone who has successfully got this to work. If so, please inform. Also unable to update to 10.6.2. No worries, not in a hurry. Enjoying the build. Thank you Insanleymac and members, and my wife, for making this all possible.

Javo

Hoping you have discovered that audio through HDMI is not yet supported from Apple, ie no driver support. So there is no "fix". Ive heard of connecting spdif to video cards but havent read any easy how tos. People pls tell me otherwise...

I have the 9800 GT 1Gb card and am patiently waiting for the audio support too. It is bound to happen in the foreseeable future... unless Apple develops their own technology and charges top dollar for it, but they're not known for that... :D

10.6.3 Woes!!!

Ud5 MB

Gigabyte 9800 gt 1gb

NVenabler 64 in e/e

PCI ID in NV50 and resman

Graphics enabler=y

PciUID=1

Should I add EFI studio string as well?

Dual display using DVI/VGA not HDMI flickers blue and then bombs

I have tried everything to date. Any ideas?

Please list your solution!

I have a few questions, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1.Which NV Kexts should I use 10.6.1,2 or 3?

Should I swap in the Geo..Kexts as well.

2.Do I use NVenabler 64?

3.I have put my Devide ID in 50Hal and Resman and get flickering blue screens along with NVenabler 64.

4.Do I have the Graphicsenable=yes string as well as a decive string generated from EFI studio

I am very frustrated and about to go back to 10.6.2

Thanks for allowing me to vent Arghhh!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

My build is:

GA Ex58 UD3R

PNY NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

OCZ 1600 3 channel Memory 6GB

LG sata DVD drive

Blue 320 Sata drive

Empire x58 EFI install, snow leopard retail-

worked great, and the graphics card was doing fine- I ran MyHack and then Kext Utility then rebooted. Now the card is not recognized but I still have like old school VGA graphics working so I can get stuff going on. I also have a MBP on leopard.

So I have tried OSX86 tools, and all different kinds of stuff but I cant get it to go back to working. I purposefully bought the card because I read that it would work out of the box.

Ideas? Update? I am trying to learn how to do this stuff! sorry for being such a broke noob! I am just a poor old musician trying to run PT LE 8!

In the words of Borat "Great Success!"

my fix, download the new myHack and run it.

fixed alot of my issues but I still want to learn how to mod the bios-

and I might need to learn how to use Terminal...

for now I am happy!

Unzip the file enclosed which is com.apple.boot.plist Copy it and open finder and head to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, paste the attached file into the system folder and over write it (authenticate) . Close and save the file and reset. If it doesn't let you save it, save as a copy elsewhere and you can move it back replacing the old one. Make sure to save a backup copy of the original just in case. Reset your computer. If you had full QE/CI prior to making these changes, browse over to /system/library/extensions and delete NVinject/Natit/NVKush.kext or whatever you were using.

I did this to get my PNY 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3 RAM with DUAL outputs working. I am unsure about running that audio cable to the video card to the mother board to get sound fo the HDMI adapter included. My card is working flawlessly. Did a little SMBIO editing and it shows perfectly. Good luck!

that's just brilliant. thanks a million :(

Just a little heads up as peeps will need to edit that com.apple.boot.plist for their own output display, at the end:

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

put your own monitors resolution in there instead of 1650x1050.

I had 10.6.1 working on a Asus P6T SE, Cor i7, 3 x 2gb DDR3, and the 9800 GT. It was great at 1600x 1200 monitor resolution until i installed the 10.6.3 package. It then nosedived to about 1024 x 768, making a mockery of my LaCie320.

Thanks again buddy

Nice! Just did what George explained plus injected nvenabler 64.kexts and my sl 10.6.3 recognized my asus 9800gt 1gb!! Played q3 live for 30min wonderfully.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to freak out guys, iPC 10.5.6 acctually worked for me, but the only problem is my graphic driver!

I really need a guide! I tried almost everything! NVInject, NVdarwin, Natit...

I couldn't get my 9800GT 512MB to work!

NVInject is the only way it was close - it worked but was very slow, low FPS.

What can I do? Please help!

thanks deviato!

question:

I already erased my mac installation.

let me get this straight:

After I am installing MAC again I don't choose a driver for my 9800gt and then download NVEnabler, put it in

System/Library/Extensions and then reboot? everything should work now?

How do I remove all enablers and the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes"?

Sorry for the noobism!

Hi there!

I've got a problem. I installed iAtkos v7. But after few minutes my HDD turn off automatically! I can't work! It's first problem, the second is kext for my nVidia 9800Gt, but I can read it there, and the third problem - my keyboard doesn't work! But when I was entering information about me, it was working perfect! Pleease! Help me!

P.S. I don't know where I can post my message, so I post it here, 'cos I've got the same problem)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have just bought an Asus Nvidia 9800GT 1gb as an upgrade to an awful 8400gs. I use dual monitors. and it just wasn't coping with games. I'm still using iatkos 7 which is leopard 10.5.7, and use nvinject currently which works fine. does anyone know whether you can just swap cards and it works with no fiddling? that'd be nice ;) . if that doesn't work for some reason would it be easy to use an efi string or reinstall nvinject somehow?

thanks in advance :)

Well I assume that my card is working. I used Mutlibeast plus some other things I needed to instal for my UD3L board, and I it seems to be working. Only problem I have is in my system profiler it says I have a 9600, but I don't. I was told that may be linked to the DSDT. Anyone know how to fix that? And also, if I can play TF2 from steam on highest quality then that means my card has all the drivers and stuff needed correct?

~Blah

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Recently i buy ASUS Geforce 9800 Gt 1gb ddr3 working out of the box with Graphics enabler option in Bootloader.

My actual monitor is VGA connected with DVI/VGA Adaptor , i wanna change my monitor with other one Bigger (24")

but i don´t know if DVI to DVI direct work fine with this card.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Any improvements or diferences with VGA or DVI?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...