Slow VNC speeds

5 posts in this topic

I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 500MHz and my Core 2 Quad PC connected to each other directly using a crossover Ethernet cable (both computers have Gigabit ethernet). I connect and control my PowerMac over VNC using the Leopard Screen Sharing app, but even though it is acceptable it can be quite slow and laggy. The funny thing is I can connect to computers thousands of miles away faster than I can connect to a computer sitting right beside me. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance?

Thanks

~pcwiz

I experience no such issues with Screen Sharing over ethernet with two Leopard Server 10.5.6 machines — one is a P4 and the other PD, so not the fastest systems.

This is over a 10/100 router with both machines setup to use a dedicated IP. It's as though I am using each machine directly.

Have you tried it without the crossover and with a switch or router instead?

• 4 weeks later...
I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 500MHz and my Core 2 Quad PC connected to each other directly using a crossover Ethernet cable (both computers have Gigabit ethernet). I connect and control my PowerMac over VNC using the Leopard Screen Sharing app, but even though it is acceptable it can be quite slow and laggy. The funny thing is I can connect to computers thousands of miles away faster than I can connect to a computer sitting right beside me. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance?

Thanks

~pcwiz

try http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

Helped a bit for me on my old G4 ... good luck :P