Slow VNC speeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 500MHz and my Core 2 Quad PC connected to each other directly using a crossover Ethernet cable (both computers have Gigabit ethernet). I connect and control my PowerMac over VNC using the Leopard Screen Sharing app, but even though it is acceptable it can be quite slow and laggy. The funny thing is I can connect to computers thousands of miles away faster than I can connect to a computer sitting right beside me. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance?

Thanks
~pcwiz

Einstein_ein

Einstein_ein

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
same prob here, both connecting them through ethernet or wifi is terribly laggy

m16

m16

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Why don't you try tightvnc

inimicus

inimicus

Drunk and Angry Slurs in 31 Flavors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
I experience no such issues with Screen Sharing over ethernet with two Leopard Server 10.5.6 machines — one is a P4 and the other PD, so not the fastest systems.

This is over a 10/100 router with both machines setup to use a dedicated IP. It's as though I am using each machine directly.

Have you tried it without the crossover and with a switch or router instead?

Bob Ajob

Bob Ajob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:tinkering with hackintoshes .... obviously :)

I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 500MHz and my Core 2 Quad PC connected to each other directly using a crossover Ethernet cable (both computers have Gigabit ethernet). I connect and control my PowerMac over VNC using the Leopard Screen Sharing app, but even though it is acceptable it can be quite slow and laggy. The funny thing is I can connect to computers thousands of miles away faster than I can connect to a computer sitting right beside me. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance?

Thanks
~pcwiz

try http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

Helped a bit for me on my old G4 ... good luck :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy