The cheapest and the smallest MacBook ever!

YureZzZ

32 posts in this topic

First of all, maybe this is the wrong place to post, sorry for that. But I think guys here mostly concerned about the hardware, which is what I really need now.

Preamble

Yes I wanna buy MacBook (like there are people who doesn't on this forum). But I can't get it in my country - the cheapest model (old white non-aluminum non-pro) in official resellers stores cost around 1200-1300$. BTW, it is Russia. I needed a less than 14" laptop. (If it is 13" or more it is not comfortable to have it in my bag - which is making those computers NOT portable, so NOT laptops anymore.) So when I've got some money I've bought asus eee pc 900 lappy. Like it very much for it's price and size.

Amble

But as a Mac OS fan I wanted to install it. Here I'll skip lots of info on what I was trying to make it work on that machine (yeah, I even tried to patch/compile the kernel myself to make it work with my laptop's CPU which is <1GHz)

And now, thanx to the Voodoo kernel team!!!, I have working Leopard on my, you can say weak, laptop. Yeah, it works without that annoying timing problem. BUT... (he-he there is always a fly in your jam can :) ) But I have no working internal sound (alc662 ver1), no ethenet(Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet) and no WiFi (Atheros AR5007EG). Which made me really sad ans sleepless(browsing the net in order to find a way to fix those things) for a few days...

Now, I realised that if I can't get those parts to work - I wont just give up like I did before.

I'll try some other stuff:

-WiFi can be fixed with buying that famous Dell wireless card - which is nearly impossible in my country.

-Soundcard - here is idea of the workaround - I'll try to buy the smallest usb sound card (like the ones used for

skype) with just one mic input and one output - and I'll fit it inside the laptop case.

-Ethernet - still have no ideas how to fix that. Maybe USB-ethernet card fitted inside the case. Maybe I'll use

virtual machine under Mac OS, which will have some sort of small linux distro with drivers for it.

This virtual machine idea is kinda good. Imagine you have all the internet related stuff inside the virtual machine - no viruses, no attacks, no more work for LittleSnitch(stopping unwanted traffic from some shareware programs, you know :( ). Of course this will eat up the system resources, but - hey! do you really do something massive and browse at the same time?

Now when I told you all of this, maybe you can give me your ideas on the topic. All comments are highly welcome!

Shoulda gotten a Dell Mini9.. Just about everything is working on it now. Only thing you need to replace is the SSD because the one Dell ships with it won't wake from sleep, but replacements are cheap, and faster than the original anyways..

There were no other netbooks in the market when I bought my eee. :) Next time when I have money I'll buy something more compatible, or MacBook :D But for now I have to get this baby working!

No wireless on a netbook would be very bad. USB sound is a good plan. Virtuallization would be deadly slow.

Wireless is not much needed for now, I mostly suffer without ethernet.

Virtualization method - Bad news :wacko: Parallels doesn't support hardware which doesn't have drivers installed in Mac OS... Looking for another solution.

For the network I guess the only way is to get that Dell wireless card + small router, so I can connect normal ethernet to it when I need.

For the sound I've found another solution - bluetooth stereo headset. This way I don't need to hack laptop much + I can use it with my nokia :D

4gb? No.. 4.5gb, I've heard of it being done with large sacrifices. I got down to 5.5 no problem.

As for Parallels, get version 3, it works fine on an Atom CPU.

Tell me how did you do that?

Parallels work fine on my Celeron M ULV (not Atom), but it doesn't want to recognize hardware which Leopard doesn't recognize itself. So no luck.

I think we don't really got same point. What I mean is that lets say you don't have working kexts for your lan. Then you install Linux in your virtual machine WITH drivers for it and you can use it inside it.

When I run Parallels it says something like - if you wanna add hardware to your virtual machine - find the kext for it. Isn't it?

IPC as an other laptop? Nope, thanx :( I'm not giving up on this one.

And how do I strip it down? Xslimmer+Monolingual freed around 1 Gb. Need more.

IPC Is an installer Disc like kalyway

But you can delete xcode and And printer drivers

Strange - just when I started to digg seriously about getting this lappy to work - guess what? I received money which is enough to buy Msi Wind. So what do you think - should I? Or maybe I can still make eee pc works flawless?

So far I got the plan for getting it work. I need:

to install 1.8" SATA HDD inside

to install different ultra small sound card, like skype headset inside

to replace my wifi card with dell's wifi

to buy usb ethernet card

All of this is going to be like half or even more than half of the wind price.... thinking....

Update: Xbench scores are almost the same (when I use USB HDD)... even more thinking...

He-he netbook without a net...

Strange - just when I started to digg seriously about getting this lappy to work - guess what? I received money which is enough to buy Msi Wind. So what do you think - should I? Or maybe I can still make eee pc works flawless?

So far I got the plan for getting it work. I need:

to install 1.8" SATA HDD inside

to install different ultra small sound card, like skype headset inside

to replace my wifi card with dell's wifi

to buy usb ethernet card

All of this is going to be like half or even more than half of the wind price.... thinking....

Update: Xbench scores are almost the same (when I use USB HDD)... even more thinking...

He-he netbook without a net...

Do it

will the dell mini 12 rund good as the dell mini 9 ?

No. The Mini12 has it's ram hard soldered to the board. It's stuck at 1GB and cannot be upgraded. The Mini9 runs 2gb of ram just fine, normal 2GB SoDIMMs. The Mini12 has a GMA500 video chipset, OS X does not support that, there are no drivers for it, no Mac has ever used a GMA500. The Mini9 uses standard GMA950 video. Just like some of the MacBooks, and the Mac Mini. It works great.