Dell XPS M1530 / M1330 AppleHDA Solutions (Sigmatel STAC 9228)

talisman

201 posts in this topic

What webcam lag are you talking about? If you mean low fps, it is because of crappy webcam that Dell uses.

You can drop the resolution in Skype (with editing config file) and get much better fps.

Any chance you can point me in the right direction to get that working right? On another note, there appears to be a working driver for Ethernet under Linux, so that's a potential jumping off point to get it working under OS X if we can find someone with the ability to port it.

The M1330 still has to be put to sleep before the sound works properly....

You can also plug in a pair of headphones and then unplug them, and while I haven't tested it, I think that switching the input from Internal Speakers to Headphones and back again should also do it.

Thanks for getting back to me Talisman. I downloaded the files you recommended but neither will unzip. I tried on 2 different macs. I get an error from archive utility, Error 1 operation not permitted. I googled it and tried repairing disk permissions but it didn't work. My search turned up that maybe the archive has a password and the stock archive utility isn't smart enough to make the user aware of that and just errors and fails.

If you know of somewhere else I can get a working audio kext for my dell m1330 I would appreciate another point in a new direction. If you have a minute maybe you could try to duplicate my problem so I KNOW it's not just an issue with my hackintosh installs. Thank you again in advance Talisman.

Danny

I assume when you say vanilla, you mean the vanilla AppleHDA kext with the correct pin mapping.

Can you please tell me what advantages you get by using these files and what changes you made??

If you are trying node 19, then have a look at the codec graph. There can be only three possibilities with 19. 8 28 19 does show more promise than the others.....

If you want to use Vista regs to make the verbs, follow The King's instructions to the line, especially the part about making the Sequence verb 0, it might be important and has to be checked.

These are all experimental kexts.... It might not work for you. If you want one which works better try this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30865

Any chance you can point me in the right direction to get that working right? On another note, there appears to be a working driver for Ethernet under Linux, so that's a potential jumping off point to get it working under OS X if we can find someone with the ability to port it.

If you find any info about someone able to port linux drivers to osx please let me know. I'm pretty sure opensuse 11.1 works with my m1330 out of the box. I'm going to install it later this week on an external hardrive or stick to make sure. I think I had both ethernet and wireless out of my intell 4965 working from a live cd of 11.0 or 10.3 opensuse.

I'm also having difficulty figuring out exactly which sound card I have on my laptop. I know it is sigmatel but vista device manager doesn't really tell me more than that. OSX tells me it is Intel audio but I don't know if that is because of some kext trickery. Any help would be appreciated.

If you find any info about someone able to port linux drivers to osx please let me know. I'm pretty sure opensuse 11.1 works with my m1330 out of the box. I'm going to install it later this week on an external hardrive or stick to make sure. I think I had both ethernet and wireless out of my intell 4965 working from a live cd of 11.0 or 10.3 opensuse.

I'm also having difficulty figuring out exactly which sound card I have on my laptop. I know it is sigmatel but vista device manager doesn't really tell me more than that. OSX tells me it is Intel audio but I don't know if that is because of some kext trickery. Any help would be appreciated.

In the M1330 you'll have the Sigmatel 9228, so you should be able to take the fixed AppleHDA kexts from macgirl a few posts up and install those using kexthelper or OSX86 tools and have audio up and running with the exception of the internal microphone. And no need to install OpenSuse to confirm if it's true, there are definitely Linux drivers for the *965 and Marvell Yukon ethernet/wifi cards as I've used both before.

Not realy, only if AppleHDA is not the correct one.

Hello macgirl. How do I know if I have the right one or not? I have a few different appleHDA.kext files from various places in this forum. I have a dell m1330...HELP :) My sound has never worked whether the machine has been put to sleep or not. I had sound working from a headphone jack and a sound icon at one point but now it doesn't work after installing FixSigmaTel STAC 9228.zip as per your post. Do I need to uninstall some kexts since these were not named AppleHDA and HDAenabler like other alleged fixes? Thank you for your help macgirl.

In the M1330 you'll have the Sigmatel 9228, so you should be able to take the fixed AppleHDA kexts from macgirl a few posts up and install those using kexthelper or OSX86 tools and have audio up and running with the exception of the internal microphone. And no need to install OpenSuse to confirm if it's true, there are definitely Linux drivers for the *965 and Marvell Yukon ethernet/wifi cards as I've used both before.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I missed your reply before I posted again to macgirl about something else. I tried her FixSigmaTel STAC 9228.zip fix and it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

I'm definitely anxious to find someone who can port linux drivers to osx. Is it as simple as recompiling binary source code in osx? If it's simple enough for someone to show me, I could do it and post all the working drivers for my model to this forum. Thanks again.

Danny

Working Autoswitch to all ports on M1530 with Individual Volume Settings & Sound without Sleep!

Finally got autoswitch to both ports on the M1530 as well as audio immediately on startup. All credit goes to gbonilla for the base kext and brunt of the work, Talisman for the config data and information, and macgirl and wingunr21 for providing the guides to getting OS X working on our laptops.

If someone can provide the correct M1330 configdata they should be able to just take this kext and replace the M1530 configdata with their own to get it working.

AppleHDA.kext.M1530.Allports.zip

macdanny: If you cannot unzip a file with Archive Manager it is just a normal bug. What you need to do is open up a terminal and do an "unzip filename.zip". That should work. And you do have the 9228.

Working Autoswitch to all ports on M1530 with Individual Volume Settings & Sound without Sleep!

Finally got autoswitch to both ports on the M1530 as well as audio immediately on startup. All credit goes to gbonilla for the base kext and brunt of the work, Talisman for the config data and information, and macgirl and wingunr21 for providing the guides to getting OS X working on our laptops.

If someone can provide the correct M1330 configdata they should be able to just take this kext and replace the M1530 configdata with their own to get it working.

Working perfectly..... thanks a heap

Just two things.

1. The sound from the middle port seems to have a significantly lower volume than that from the left.

2. Did you try the 19 28 8 combination for the int mic?? If I do try that would I have to make any changes other than that in the AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist ? I haven't had time to look at the entire kext bundle.... Thanks again for all your help....

oh.... I didn't know that one.... still trying to update my knowledge of M1330 Audio... can you post the one which works without sleep or any trick.... just works after boot??

post # 12 of this thread (2 jacks auto switch) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1014244

This should work on M1530 also

Hello macgirl. How do I know if I have the right one or not? I have a few different appleHDA.kext files from various places in this forum. I have a dell m1330...HELP :unsure: My sound has never worked whether the machine has been put to sleep or not. I had sound working from a headphone jack and a sound icon at one point but now it doesn't work after installing FixSigmaTel STAC 9228.zip as per your post. Do I need to uninstall some kexts since these were not named AppleHDA and HDAenabler like other alleged fixes? Thank you for your help macgirl.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I missed your reply before I posted again to macgirl about something else. I tried her FixSigmaTel STAC 9228.zip fix and it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

I'm definitely anxious to find someone who can port linux drivers to osx. Is it as simple as recompiling binary source code in osx? If it's simple enough for someone to show me, I could do it and post all the working drivers for my model to this forum. Thanks again.

Danny

Those FixSigmatel kext have only 1 auto-switch, so you need to select Internal Speakers manually, only one of the Jacks give you auto-switch, the other one is selected by Sound Preference Pane.

For thos kexts also you need HDAEnabler or EFI strings and the Vanilla AppleHDA.kext

Working perfectly..... thanks a heap

Just two things.

1. The sound from the middle port seems to have a significantly lower volume than that from the left.

The left port and middle port have separate volume controls, check that one wasn't set lower than the other. I tried to replicate this by setting both left and middle port to max volume and looping one of my brother's pianos pieces I'd recorded in GarageBand. Neither he nor I noticed any significant variance in volume, leading me to believe that it's merely different volume settings for each port.

If you're still convinced there's a difference in volume, I can check using a decibel meter and post back the results once I get back to school on Wednesday.

2. Did you try the 19 28 8 combination for the int mic?? If I do try that would I have to make any changes other than that in the AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist ? I haven't had time to look at the entire kext bundle.... Thanks again for all your help....

I've only messed with the configdata for the kext and have yet to touch the pinconfigs. But you should only need to edit the AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to get it working if that's the correct pin map.

oh.... I didn't know that one.... still trying to update my knowledge of M1330 Audio... can you post the one which works without sleep or any trick.... just works after boot??

macgirl, I've never had one work for me upon boot.

I'm definitely anxious to find someone who can port linux drivers to osx. Is it as simple as recompiling binary source code in osx? If it's simple enough for someone to show me, I could do it and post all the working drivers for my model to this forum.

It is not that simple at all. OS X uses a far different underlying structure than Linux does for its drivers. There is quite a bit of work that has to be done in porting any driver from Linux to OS X.

The left port and middle port have separate volume controls, check that one wasn't set lower than the other. I tried to replicate this by setting both left and middle port to max volume and looping one of my brother's pianos pieces I'd recorded in GarageBand. Neither he nor I noticed any significant variance in volume, leading me to believe that it's merely different volume settings for each port.

If you're still convinced there's a difference in volume, I can check using a decibel meter and post back the results once I get back to school on Wednesday.

You are absolutely right.... I didn't even think about this!!.... thanks. Guess I'm convinced!!

The kext under stable kext (January 5th 2009) causes my m1530 system to not boot, it just sits on the white apple screen forever.

I used OSX86Tools to install the kext, then repaired permissions, same way i install all other kext.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a Dell m1530 with 10.5.6 installed.

The kext under stable kext (January 5th 2009) causes my m1530 system to not boot, it just sits on the white apple screen forever.

I used OSX86Tools to install the kext, then repaired permissions, same way i install all other kext.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a Dell m1530 with 10.5.6 installed.

Can you boot with -v and tell us the exact error that's stopping your system from booting? AFAIK theres nothing in AppleHDA that should prevent a boot.

Can you boot with -v and tell us the exact error that's stopping your system from booting? AFAIK theres nothing in AppleHDA that should prevent a boot.

Ok, this is weird. I just reinstalled the applehda.kext to my "Mac" volume while I was booted to a different mac volume on my computer called "Apple". (I have two mac volumes, just incase one wont boot.)

Anyway, once I shut down my "Apple" volume and booted to my "Mac" volume (the one I installed your applehda.kext to) it worked fine, mute and everything. Then, I decided to shutdown and reboot in verbose mode, once i did that, my computer wont reboot back up. It just keeps saving these crash reports over and over and never boots. It Wont boot in normal mode either.

So, I beleive it has something to do with my computer not being able to shutdown properly, and the appplehda.kext.

I think this becuase I never shutdown the "Mac" volume the only time the applehda worked.

Could someone with an M1330 try the below attached kext and see if it works with autoswitching to both ports, sound on reboot, and autoswitching after sleep?

Sound works out of both headphone jacks upon boot but nothing out of the internal speakers even after sleep.