• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

blkhockeypro19

blkhockeypro19

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

So everyone knows by now that Mac Drive's installer wont work in Windows 7.
I have an idea. It is the installer not the application that isnt working.
Mac drive looks at your OS then realizes it isnt XP, Vista or whatever and quits.

Install Vista, Install Mac Drive then upgrade to Windows 7
Mac Drive will already be installed therefor you wont have the issues.

I have tried installing:
Adobe CS3
Adobe CS4
MS Office
Wireshark
Putty
Hamachi
Firefox
Stuffit
WinRar
Several Printer Drivers
and lots of other stuff.

Everything but Mac Drive works.
Windows 7 has basically the same registry as Vista.
There is no reason for Mac Drive not to work

Good Luck
I will try this myself in a few days
but I need a computer to try it on.

lmao, just run it in compatibility mode for vista XD

andy_bon

andy_bon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Hi all
Finally managed to install a working copy of macvidia 7.2.5 on windows 7 x64. Everything is working as with vista. Attached screen shot. I can read and write to all mac hfs drives as before. I had to mod the msi file and then run in vista compatabilty mode. Message me if you need further instruction. Still testing this, so if I find a problems I will post them, but I think it will be ok, as mentioned "windows 7 is Vista SP2"

Attached Files

andy_bon

andy_bon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Hi all
Finally managed to install a working copy of macvidia 7.2.5 on windows 7 x64. Everything is working as with vista. Attached screen shot. I can read and write to all mac hfs drives as before. I had to mod the msi file and then run in vista compatabilty mode. Message me if you need further instruction. Still testing this, so if I find a problems I will post them, but I think it will be ok, as mentioned "windows 7 is Vista SP2"

He guy's - Update THIS IS %100 working. Big mistake saying message me - my inbox now filling up. I will post instructions in the next couple of hours.

dylanfree

dylanfree

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You are a god amongst mere mortals, my friend!
Cheers for this!!

andy_bon

andy_bon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Right, heres the instructions for how i got Macdrive fully working on Win 7 x64 (and Im sure this works for 32bit aswell).

The problem is, as discussed before that the program is looking for Vista or XP with SPs. So what we will is change the installer to look for Win 7.

In order to get this working you will need the latest release of MacDrive and a program called Orca found at http://www.technipag...msi-editor.html.

1. Firstly extract the Macdrive exe package using winrar or similar to a directory on your hard drive. You will then have a directory called macdrive_7.2.5_en_setup containing a setup.exe file and 2 folders.

2. Open the folder named MacDrive and then open on the corresponding folder for your os, in my case x64.en-US. Within this folder you will find the msi installer package.

3. Open the file MacDrive7.x64.en-US.msi (or x32 one) using the program Orca. You will then be presented with a list of Table commands on the left hand panel, and the description script on the right. Locate LaunchCondition on the Left, and on the right hand side you will see the requirement for the os at install.

4. On the Third line in the condition panel you will see

IGNORE_LAUNCH_CONDITIONS Or Installed Or ((VersionNT=501 AND ServicePackLevel>=2) Or (VersionNT=600 AND ServicePackLevel>=1) Or (VersionNT=600 And MsiNTProductType<>3))

Correct me if Im wrong but the number 600 stand for the windows version. I think 501 is XP Sp2, 502 is Vista SP1 and 600 is Vista x64?

Anyway change the above for the following:

IGNORE_LAUNCH_CONDITIONS Or Installed Or ((VersionNT=501 AND ServicePackLevel>=2) Or (VersionNT=600 AND ServicePackLevel>=1) Or (VersionNT=601 And MsiNTProductType<>3))

The new number 601 stands for Win 7.

5. Right thats the change needed to make this work, so next you need to click on the validate tab (the one with the red tick). This seems to change the code again slightly, not sure what its doing.

6. Save the file as the original.

7. To install Macdrive just click on the msi file you created. The first time I tried this the install process had an error and it didnt install completely. So the second time I used the Win 7 compatibility wizard and ran as Vista compatible. Just right click on the file and select troubleshoot compatibility.

I now have a fully functioning copy of Macdrive on Win7 x64.
I cant guarantee this working for everyone, this is my experience with it. Ive tried upgrading from vista and macdrive was causing failure, I tried using PCmover on the macdrive file and that doesnt work on x64 to x64.

Let me know how it goes! I'd like to know if this works on 32bit aswell

dylanfree

dylanfree

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can confirm that this process does not work for my Windows 7 32-bit system.
Cool to hear you have it working on 64-bit though!

andy_bon

andy_bon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Update
Follow the instructions set out earlier but change any reference VersionNT=600 to VersionNT>=600, this means install on any system above versionnt=600, ie all versions of Win 7 64 & 32 bit.

Blue Dingo

Blue Dingo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i can confirm that andy_bons tutorial works to install macdrive

but i cant see the drives in my computer :blink:

ive uploaded what ive got atm

Attached Files

gmcouto

gmcouto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Yeah... it works for me....

here is my little tutorial that i'm posting in some of other sites:

Install MacDrive 7.2.5...

How to do it:
1. Extract the MSI from exe using Winrar
2. Edit the MSI to accept windows 7(at LaunchConditions tab... where is something like WindowsNT=600 you put >=600)
http://www.brotherso...itor-70589.html
3. Set compatibility mode for the MSI to Windows Vista.
4. Install normally.

I'm running MacDrive 7.2.5 at Windows 7 64-bit build 7000.
Works perfectly

(i 'heard' that an old installation trick used in Vista64 for activation still works)

Dont install macdrive_7.2.2 or macdrive_7.2.4.... it brokes Widows 7

Blue Dingo

Blue Dingo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
andy_bon or gmcouto, can you email me the modified msi file, i get some errors when i try to patch it

dingoblue10@gmail.com

andy_bon

andy_bon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

andy_bon or gmcouto, can you email me the modified msi file, i get some errors when i try to patch it

dingoblue10@gmail.com

Bluedingo did you do the run in compatability bit - thats what actually makes this work, the rest just lets it install? Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

Yeah... it works for me....

here is my little tutorial that i'm posting in some of other sites:
Install MacDrive 7.2.5...

How to do it:
1. Extract the MSI from exe using Winrar
2. Edit the MSI to accept windows 7(at LaunchConditions tab... where is something like WindowsNT=600 you put >=600)
http://www.brotherso...itor-70589.html
3. Set compatibility mode for the MSI to Windows Vista.
4. Install normally.
I'm running MacDrive 7.2.5 at Windows 7 64-bit build 7000.
Works perfectly
(i 'heard' that an old installation trick used in Vista64 for activation still works)

Dont install macdrive_7.2.2 or macdrive_7.2.4.... it brokes Widows 7

Gmcouto. Glad this has worked for someone else. Prefer your instructions - a bit more to the point.

Blue Dingo

Blue Dingo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i did the compatability thing and im using x64

gmcouto

gmcouto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Double check if you marked Windows VISTA at compatibility mode. It is very important.

Tried to set administrator rights on compatibility mode?

Tried to re-download the packages to see if your download is corrupted?

@andy_bon, thanks. And yours is far away complete than mine. More 'dumb' proof.

andy_bon

andy_bon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Right here's my latest.

Firstly I don't think MacDrive 7.2.5 is as stable as 7.2.4, on 64bit anyway. Due to reasons other than the macdrive issue, I have reverted back to my vista os. The problems people are experiencing in this discussion on win7 are the same in vista. The program loads but no drive showing in explorer. This can only point to the program itself.

I have now re-installed 7.2.4 on vista, and all is back to normal. I think there are conflicts between Bootcamp and Macdrive, accessing the Drive, because whenever I do a reapir on either program, in Win7 or Vista, it seems to work again.

I would suggest that you try the same modifications I instructed on 7.2.4, not 7.2.5 to see if this resolves the issue on Win7. please post back to see if you have any luck.

PS forgot to mention. Try using Winclone in mac os, it's saved me hours in reverting back and fourth between Win7 and Vista, you need alot of free drive space on your HDD though!

JeffyMac

JeffyMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I also have not been able to get MacDrive working on 32-bit Win7. I have 2 HFS+ partitions on my the same drive Windows is on, but none of them showed up.

But nevertheless, I guess I mainly just wanted to SHOUT to someone and anyone that would understand that I got Win7, XP, and OSX.5.6 all working on my MSI Wind netbook!!! I'm technically a noob... atleast when it comes to triple booting.
I love Win7 so far though. The Alpha should be amazing.

Blue Dingo

Blue Dingo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thanks for the pm gmcouto, but i tried that as well and i still dont get the disks

but i do get my ipod and external HD, seeing that their formatted in HFS

why would macdrive only recognise external drives and not the internal ones?

gmcouto

gmcouto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

thanks for the pm gmcouto, but i tried that as well and i still dont get the disks
but i do get my ipod and external HD, seeing that their formatted in HFS
why would macdrive only recognise external drives and not the internal ones?

If you see your iPod that means the MacDrive is working.

It seems not to be a MacDrive limitation. Probably MacDrive is being limited by something else.

Are you on a real mac? Because bootcamp may limit the access of foreign OS to the disks until you installs it's drivers properly. And there is no Win7 drivers by now(i think).

Maybe vista bootcamp drivers work(maybe not).

scottishduck

scottishduck

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'm just using transmac instead :blink:

Griffin Myers

Griffin Myers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have an interesting development.

I'm running windows7 32 bit.
I have macdrive 7.2.4 installed.

Like everyone else, I get it to install, however, no HFS disks ever show up.

Well, I was doing some work on my partitions with the Mac OSX install disk, and when I booted up in windows I noticed that macdrive pulled up the disk as usual in my computer. Labeled and everything...the little macdrive icon over the disk and it reads HFS+ disk.

So... 7.2.4 obviously must work on windows, however maybe there is a windows setting that is now allowing the drives to come up?

Sorry I'm not more akin to actually figuring out how to make it work but maybe his info will help someone who knows the ins and outs

MiMerker

MiMerker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
nice... what exactly did you do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy