Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

I'll trust that this guide is flawless...I REALLY don't want to have to get ANOTHER iso, dmg, ppf, whatever... It seems as if tons of links sprouted overnight. Do you plan to update this again?

the basic method itself works perfectly. i chat with about a dozen people who've used this guide, and we haven't found anything that doesn't work. i discovered the problem with mount_udfs myself, by chance, and taking no further chances, added all the 4.5 "mount_*" to /backup just to get it over with. :construction:

if you follow the guide exactly, you'll have the same working system you started with, updated to 10.4.6.

I REALLY don't want to have to get ANOTHER iso, dmg, ppf, whatever... It seems as if tons of links sprouted overnight. Do you plan to update this again?

i will only update it, if something like the mount_udf problem above is found, i don't see that happening, cause there aren't many files like that one, that are un-used and un-noticed. a person might notice that a couple lines of the guide could be consolidated. i'm not going to change them either. want to keep the lines short and easy to read by everyone. frankly, the guide works, and i have better things to do this summer than tweak it to death. :thumbsdown_anim:

i published this guide on the 7th. with users giving feedback and identifying problems, by the 11th early a.m. intel users could update to 10.4.6. with files they already had, or could find easily. so, though i won't be updating this guide, i'll probably make another if a security update, or version update for OS X happens, that i can figure out. :angel:

Mucho thanks. It's working nicely and even got front row working (even though i did have to buy a usb-mouse at a local thrift store) :( Here's a question not related to the thread but i'm curious: does the Apple keyboard have a Home or End button on it? It's driving me crazy using the arrow keys to get to the beginning of a line. Sometimes I use the up and down arrows, but sometimes even that doesn't work how I want it. :pirate2:

Oh by the way, i noticed in your latest update a few days (or a week?) ago that whatever you did, now the last line (the prebinding, i think. i'm lazy to look back :P) works, cause somehow it didn't work for me when i first did the whole thing about three weeks ago, I got a "try rebooting" error i some sort...my mind fails me so i don't exactly remember the whole error message... ANYWAY...I did a total re-installation last week after i posted and i didn't receive any errors, except i did the last line BEFORE repairing disk permissions...is that bad? :(

...i did the last line BEFORE repairing disk permissions...is that bad? ;)

yes, very bad. unfortunately, through reversing those two last steps, you have left your OS X installation open to possession by the powers of evil. :P even though it might appear to be working perfectly at teh moment, don't turn your back on it, leave it running overnight, or alone with small children! :D

Well...what a good reason to reinstall OS X eh? It's not the most fun thing to do, but it's easier than...that other company's OS.

omg! i was only kidding! i will never again joke around in this thread! argh! :angel:

why i backup, but don't update the 4.6 Extensions in this guide.

there are 109 kexts in the 10.4.6 Extensions update.

of those, 41 are unchanged from 10.4.5

64 kexts are newer versions

36 of those kexts are ATI, Nvidia, or GMA950 related, i back them up to a folder, so people with modded

and other working video drivers are not affected by an update to drivers that don't work out of the box on their hardware.

32 new kexts remain.

7 of those kexts don't work for any of us, they are either what we've been using since 4.3, or broken by 4.6.

3 of those kexts are IO*.kexts. IOATA, IONetworkingFamily, and IOUSBFamily.

26 new kexts remain. of those, some have been modded to work with laptops and odd

hardware configurations. two examples are AppleFWAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext.

personally, knowing my own hardware, i've experimented with the 26 new kexts that don't appear to

break anything, on my hardware. old or new, my xbench scores were unchanged. the speed increase i've noticed

after updating to 10.4.6 i believe can be attributed to the new Frameworks and Rosetta improvements.

as far as i'm concerned, the only kexts i'll be updating to 4.6 are the kexts related to my eventually

community supported video card. :angry:

the purpose of this guide is to update to 10.4.6, with the same working hardware you had in 10.4.4 or 4.5.

to make sure that the greatest number succeed, your personally customized Extensions folder is retained. whatever

work you have done to get your system working, no matter how rare, or bizarre, is preserved.

if a person wants or needs to update to a 4.6 kext, they are in "/backups4.6" waiting for you. :(

I am trying to update my 10.4.5 Maxxuss install to 10.4.6 and when I run this copy command...

cp -R Kernal.framework OpenGL.framework /backups

I get...

cp: Kernal.framework: No such file or directory

This is installed on a Dell Inspiron 1100. The Maxxuss install is the only one that I could get my sound and WLAN to work on.

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to update my 10.4.5 Maxxuss install to 10.4.6 and when I run this copy command...

CODE

I get...

Looks like a mistype. Should be Kernel with an "e".

Like this: cp -R Kernel.framework OpenGL.framework /backups

Quixos:

the last time the guide was edited was 4-21, it is hosted on two sites. on neither site is "Kernel" misspelled "Kernel". dont' funk with my head.

You are correct, it is not misspelled in your guide. It is misspelled in Brand's post tho. I was just correcting him not you Quixos. ;) He probably just looked at it wrong.

From Brand's Post: See here he spells it Kernal and not Kernel. Which explains why he got the error.

CODE

I get...

Clearly Brand misspelled "Kernel" Not you Quixos :lol:

i cant seem to find a copy of Maxxuss Patch Solution v1.0 for 10.4.5,

ive looked on his his site and both hosts seem to be dead...one says file not found da other is corrupt.

can som1 please pm me or email it 2 me....r just a link to it

thanks,

matt

mattmac24@gmail.com

come on people, please....everybody who upgraded this way must have a copy on their comp (probs da desktop...just sitting there).

can som1 please upload and post a link or email 2 me....mattmac24@gmail.com...or PM me

thanks alot,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Having not read any of the responses on the previous 13 pages, I'm happy to report success with the tut, thanks quixos ;) . However, there were some hiccups along the way worth mentioning. I followed the tut up until the first reboot. When I tried to boot with -x -s, the system froze (Still waiting for root device). At this point, I popped in my 10.4.5 Install DVD and opened up the Terminal and continued with the instructions, modifing them slightly along the way. The replace script didn't work properly, but rather than tweak it, I restarted again with the -x -s options, and was successful this time. Then I simply ran the script, rebooted, repaired permissions, and am now posting my success. Thanks again quixos.