10.5.7 on Inspiron 9300 with Geforce Go 7800 GTX

dgcaste

66 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with 6300 card got the quartz extreme working, I can´t see any cover art in iTunes, front row starts up with just a black screen and iMovie is a no go because it requires quartz extreme.

Edit: Got it to work, reinstalled and used nvdarwin graphics driver. Now everything works like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Newbie trying to follow the guides above for iDeneb v1.4 ...

Have succesfully installed everything to the point where you download updates for 10.5.7. After downloading all 7 updates and installing them and rebooting I hang in an endless loop of rebooting. Using the -v option or -x option allows you to see there message regarding firewire for several seconds. Then 2 or 3 lines appear way to quickly to read and the computer reboots itself.

I used all the selections as specified on page one of this thread for the 6800 card.

Solutions?

Stick with 10.5.6? I used the braodcom wireless option (although maybe I shouldn't ... I have an intel pro card I think, just figured I'd buy the broadcom card and then it would work).

Trying one more install ... no wireless selected and left off the IOUSB fix. It does seem odd that I get what appears to be a fully functioning 10.5.6, but lose it all when updating to 10.5.7.

Update:

- tried one more install using same options, but no wireless and no IOUSB fix. Only updated to 10.5.7 in software update (did not get other 6 updates). Played around a little before the update and the 10.5.6 install works well, but once again am stuck in the endless reboot cycle after the 10.5.7 update.

Hi, I'm hoping you or someone else can help me out. I've tried close to 7 installs, and at this point all out of patience. I have the Dell Inspiron 9300 with nvidia go 6800. 1gb memory, 80gb hd.

Went through the installation and selections steps several times, all is well until sometime when I need to get to the extensions folder and start copying the files, any manipulations with finder or file system at one point or another end up with panic freeze. I'm attaching the screenshot, but it's pretty much the same thing each time. I have the DVI monitor connected as you can probably guess sinse I'm able to fill out all the prerequisites

Thanks!!!

I have the exact same computer. I've been trying iDENEB V14 with Leos exact instructions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152517#

I get to step 13, and as soon as I click the 3rd pane view, I get that crash message you get.

Step 13. Open Finder put it in the pane view(third one from the left i think)

I'm very very confused and I've already installed this 9 times now with 10.5.6

I just downloaded the iAtkos V7 10.5.7 Intel/AMD DVD. It has different options than Leos instructions.

I'm beyond frustrated in having to do this so many times now, and am also very confused since there is too much information going around and different fixes.

It would really be helpful to have instructions directly for 10.5.7 since 10.5.6 Ideneb isn't working.

Thanks all for any help.

Hi.

I have a i9300 with 6800go graphics. Pentium M740, 1 gb ram, 60gb Hd.

I tried to install Kalyway 10.5.2 and it failed with kernel panic error (I could not even reach the apple screen).

Then I found this forum and tried to install iDeneb 1.4.

It's strange but I get the apple screen, the language selection screen and then the welcome screen... after a few seconds a toolbar appears on top ... no matter which option I chose (I try to select "Utilities -> Disk Utility") it freezes after I click.

The multicolor round cursor appears and it stays there forever ...

If I click the "continue" button before the toolbar appears, I get the license agreement screen... but again.. if I click an option on the toolbar or click the "Accept" button, it freezes.

What am I doing wrong?? I could not find any post with this problem..

I have windows 7 installed in the hd.. but I want to format and install only MacOS ...

Thanks for any clue

Anybody with iAtkos tried 10.5.7 yet? Please post your experiences, problems, and/or fixes!

I've tried 3 times now this morning, choosing the options from post #1, and it keeps freezing on the installation screen about 1/8th done

*edit

it seems that it's still installing even though the bar only goes 1/8th of the way then stops. dvd drive keeps going, spins up and down a few times, then it finally reboots after about 15 minutes.

open the dvd drive when rebooting and the camilleon boot screen pops up and things start loading.

but when it finally get's the LAN lines a minute later it freezes for good.

But what happens when you update the software to 10.5.7? That's where my install loses it. iDeneb v1.4 works flawlessly for me otherwise.

I used the apple software update to goto 10.5.7, and it didn't boot up :) boots for about a minute, then restarts. endless cycle

i'm totally new to this mac stuff so i'm very confused still on what the process is and what all the terms are :P

• 1 month later...

Hey im trying to install iAtkos 5i on my inspiron 9300 but i'm having no luck. im dual booting with Windows 7 RC also. whenever i attempt to install iAtkos 5i with all of the customize options above it still wont work.

It installs then gives me the message :

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power Button for several seconds or press the Restart Button"

any help? are there maybe some other things i need to check in customize other that what you wrote above?

thanks

• 7 months later...

I had installed iPC 10.5.6 on

Dell Inspiron 9300

GeForce 6800 Go

2G RAM

2915 abg

Everything worked from what I could see except:

Video was low resolution 1024x768 (Since I had not selected anything.. NVInject or NDarwin etc)

Wired Ethernet working

Wireless.. not..

It was working fine and was being set up for what I wanted to do.. some iPhone Jailbreaking (which I was planning to do coming weekend)

In my quest to get my VIDEO right I've been reading and reading the forums and threads

around 9300 and GeForce 6800 Go.

The other posts needed NVInstaller v.41 and the links for that are dead.

I tried Innus method to the T.

Installed the Apple Graphics Update using P.

Installed NVInject 2.0 (even though 2.1 is available I think) using default Installer.

Then in terminal did the Sudo.. edits.. ^O (write) ^X (Exit) for the 3a) 3b) 3c)

(Also the link for the KEXT ZIP file is also down).

Only thing was after the OSX86Utility Stuff, when I tried to delete the Extensions.kext (which was actually xxxxx.Mkext) and move to trash) by clicking in the Explorer / Finder I dont know if it got done right.

Fixes: Seatbelt, verbose,ClamshellDisplay if it's there.

I dont know if I had selected some of these fixes on install.

NOW ofcourse without VERBOSE mode the Gray Apple Screen is where it freezes.

I want to do the following in that order:

1) Eliminate the effect of this High Res experiment and go back to my low res.. HOW?

2) If I cannot at all go back to my GUI OSX then atleast Flush / Edit the Kext (in case the MKext file was not cleared out)

3) Run 'KEXT' elimination commands to clear them of the new NVIDIA {censored} and go back to Low res..

4) If you guys have some of the files and can help me back on my feet, that would be great.

CURRENT STATUS OF BOOT:

With Verbose.. last few key stuff on the screen...

(Uploading picture as we speak or typing Output down)..

IMG_0680.JPG

Hey all,

I required some extra steps to get mine to work from the ones mentioned:

I had some major problems getting the graphics to work on my Inspiron 9300 (which uses Geforce Go 6800 256mb) despite following the guide on this thread, and many other threads. Took me several days of research to crack the problem (even though the steps seem quite simple that I'll describe).

Note: I could not get iDeneb v1.4 (i.e. iDeneb for 10.5.6) working using the steps above, even though they worked for other people who had the same i9300 with nvidia go 6800 as me :/ .. I used iPC OSx68 10.5.6 (is an internal link :) )

WIERD Update.

I learnt about SAFE MODE and pressed the SHIFT key to boot into safe mode.

Damn! It booted up into 1920 x 1080 and shows the NVidia Card.

Ofcourse the Quartz / QE is disabled or not working (because of safe mode disabling QE)

I am going to re-check the stuff I had done. Can someone guide me as to HOW I can delete the file specified here.

Now fix permissions etc using OSX86Tools and delete /System/Library/Extensions.kext and restart! fingers crossed...

I can only find Extensions.mkext. If this is the one to delete.. do I do it via Explorer / Finder or some thing on Terminal command line.

HOLY {censored} IT WORKS!

I booted a couple of times and lo & behold.. apparently the Cache must have refreshed after the SAFE MODE.

I have 1920 x 1200 with QE / CI Working.

QE = Supported

CI = Hardware Accelerated.

Love it. Love you all. Thanks Everyone for your great information here.

One Caveat: I have 2 copies of the same DISPLAY. In System Profiler as well as Display. The same 1920x1200 with all configs are shown twice.

What do I do? Can I remove it? How so do I do it safely?

NOW! I only majorly need the Wireless to work on the Intel 2915 (If that ever got fixed / done).

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for all the wonderful guides and advice. After several nights of experimenting, I have managed to install iPC 10.5.6 on my Dell 9300 with Nvidia 6800 card. (iDeneb didn't work for me). Everything was working great.

However I then updated it to 10.5.7 (in order to install iPhone SDK 3.0), and now no matter what I try I can't get my Intel 2200 wireless card to work. I've tried iwidarwin, Voodoo2200 kext from Project Camphor, I've also edited my IO80211 kext.

I tried restoring the IO80211 and Voodoo kexts from my 10.5.6 installation but I get sporadic Internet connection, the Airport keeps turning itself off and then crashes.

So here are a few questions:

- has anyone got their Intel 2200 card working successfully with 10.5.7 and how did you do it?

- any other solutions for Intel 2200 wireless out there?

- how do i completely remove all the wireless drivers I installed with iPC without removing the entire OS.

- if all else fails, which wireless card can I buy and install with my Dell 9300 which would be easily recognized with 10.5.7?

Thanks in advanced guys! I've almost achieved my goal of making the perfect iphone development machine, just the painful issue of Internet left to solve!

• 2 months later...

Finally got iPC 10.5.6 to install on my 9300. At the risk of embarrassment, I will add some of my newbie experiences so others will learn from my beer-induced stupidity.

First, after you complete your install, and the computer is restarting, it is really important to not hit any key which causes the boot to go to the DVD drive. I think I did this twice because on windows installs I was used to leaving the install disk in after multiple restarts.

I chose the following options:

voodoo kernel

Intel ichx sat drivers

Legacyappleintelpiixata

Applebcm440x Ethernet

The 2200intel driver since I have a 2915 card

Patched USB drivers

Appleacpi battery manager

Appleacpi power source

Clamshell display

Acpi fix

Iopcifamily.kept patched

Seatbelt.kept 10.5.5

Ps/2 keyboard

All applications

This setup worked. Previously i tried the two different nvidia 256mb options and got a freeze on the apple screen upon restarts.

Problems post install are so far video and wireless card. My screen looks fine but when i scroll in safari the screen goes nuts, same as if i try to move a screen, it leaves ghost tracers. I am going to try innun's post tonight, although I did not choose LaptopDisplay in my install, so wonder if that will make a diff.

Tried the idGUI which detects my network but won't connect, just tries to rescan. Ethernet port works fine. Still researching this. Ihave a USB dlink adaptor. Will try to research getting that to work and post results.

Is there a simple way to go back to the install DVD to add stuff post installation, like the LaptopDisplay?

I also did the apple software update on my first install. It took a long time...20min maybe. Then i just got the looping reboot after so had to do a fresh install and now am researching what to do about apple updates. Avoiding them for now.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. Reading these posts makes me realize i don't know {censored} about macs.

Will post my results in a day or so.