Constant OS updating - What's the point?

9 posts in this topic

What's the point in constantly updating? Security updates I can understand. But every four to six weeks Apple releases a new version of their OS. In addition, these newer versions seem to be less and less compatible with non-Apple hardware. In my opinion, it seems that Apple does this to stay in the headlines. One day it's a new version of their OS, the next day a new gadget, the next it's something else. Sometimes it's just as much about the hype as it is about new technology.

Hi

Ive never used an apple mac in my life except now this hackintosh (hehe) but can i ask a ? why do ppl call it apple hardware in the new machines surley theyre just standard pc parts well what i mean is is a standard run of the mill pentium board and a standard hard drive and a standard cpu and memory so how can it be apple specific hardware

if this is a real dumb ? have a good laugh (lol) but i just wondered why !

thx

What's the point in constantly updating? Security updates I can understand. But every four to six weeks Apple releases a new version of their OS. In addition, these newer versions seem to be less and less compatible with non-Apple hardware. In my opinion, it seems that Apple does this to stay in the headlines. One day it's a new version of their OS, the next day a new gadget, the next it's something else. Sometimes it's just as much about the hype as it is about new technology.

Apple has figured how to do what Microsoft could only dream of. Annual Subscription prices for their software and "fixes"

Throw a couple of "neato" functions, call it a new OS with many more bugs to fix and charge a full price for the update. Once Apple gets to the .9 of any version (10.2.9) then you get another version. So when 10.5 comes out in September with their new BUGS and FEATURES they can retire OS 10.3 from any further support and get 100% of their customers t send them another $200 for their "privilege" of using Apple software and hardware.

Microsoft can only have wet dreams about such a funding scheme, and if they could get away with it actually, truely, honestly forget about Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000Pro, and XP within a year of Vista release.

Apple gets away with it because their users are SOOOOO hungry for something else neat, cool and colorful that they forget they have to keep paying, year after year after year after year......well you get the picture....

My gripe is what Apple has done to public school technology funding......They convinced schools over a decade ago that Apple cared about education, and would be there forever for them. They got teachers hooked on their hardware and software so badly that they are now my "militant macs" users who will go on strike if you "make" them use anything that "Bill" gets any money from, including Office and Internet Explorer. Just try budgeting annual software upgrade prices PLUS there 30% hardware premium each and every year with a "teacher base" built like this one.

(steps off stump and ranting, raving of worn out public school technician......) :D

I'll restate my question ... What's the point in users, such as many of us on this board, without genuine Apple hardware in updating their OS when there is a perfectly (well, almost...) compatible one already running on their system?

I'll restate my question ... What's the point in users, such as many of us on this board, without genuine Apple hardware in updating their OS when there is a perfectly (well, almost...) compatible one already running on their system?

Because we're geeks and tempted and lured by the challenge and the idea of running the greatest and latest. It's moronic but that's how it is. Twas much simpler back in the days of stone tablets and bows and arrows :D

That's just how some of us are :D . I guess it's just satisfying to know that you have the newest installed. Me, I'm sticking with my 10.4.3 install because it's working just fine for me.

And curlyboy, yes there's a difference. The MacIntels use a TPM chip and EFI. If they used all standard components, we wouldn't have many (any?) problems installing and no need for any patches.

Because those OS updates Apple releases (as in from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 as opposed to 10.3 to 10.4) really aren't OS updates in the way you're thinking they are. Typically, these updates contain bug fixes and minor changes/improvements/"features." For instance 10.4.6 contains a lot of bug fixes in it.

In terms of 10.3 to 10.4 updating, there are at least 100 new features (not counting 100 Dashboard widgets, ok?) that compel people to upgrade. Microsoft on the other hand, markets XP as "It's Win 2000 with a Froot Loop interface!" and then wonder why people still use Win 98. Of course, I'd love to see a chart showing who uses what Mac OS version.