M-Audio Firewire 1814

spfatpipe

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I am considering to build an Apple machine to run Logic Express or Maybe Pro with an Intel D945GNTLKR and a M-Audio Firewire 1814. M-audio has beta drivers for Macintosh. Anyone tell me how well the 1814 beta driver works or if I should use a different motherboard/soundcard (I need ADAT lightpipe on the soundcard? All opinions much appreciated.

Depends on what you're going to record. If it just for personal use I guess you'd be okay with the 1814. I know the 410 works well and I guess the 1814 would work just the same. After all the 1814 is just the 410s bigger brother. Is ADAT a must?

• 3 weeks later...

I have an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O which is similar to the 1814.

If i buy a firewire PCI card, this will work without any drivers on OSX?

So system is able to "see" the card, and the plugged in firewire devices?

Thanks!

You will almost certainly need a driver from M-Audio to even atempt it...

BTW

Well I got a Mac Mini Core duo in the end and the TASCAM 1804... Seems ok in both OSX and Windows (Camp Boot) ;-). Logic Xpress's assignment of Ins and Outs is a stupidly ristrictive, I might get Logic Pro but its sooooo expensive for induvidual users not making huge profits on there music but need pro features (this is not fair apple). It looks like the future upgrades will be around £200 which seems a bit steep to me. Does the developement of Logic really need that much funding?

• 2 months later...

Yes, you need the M-Audio FireWire driver for Intel for the ProjectMix. I have it running on my AMD with an ADS Tech FireWire card and it works great.

I'm investigating system crashes with Logic 7.2 right now, but it crashes regardless of if I'm using the ProjectMix, AC97 or any other audio interface (I tried a couple), so I think it's safe to say that the ProjectMix works just fine with the M-Audio driver.