10.5.6: NO DSDT Required!

~pcwiz

40 posts in this topic

There was a lot of buzz about the 10.5.6 beta's requiring a proper DSDT in order to boot properly, and it was assumed that the final 10.5.6 update that was released would have the requirement as well, but it's been proven that this is not the case, despite there being a DSDT patcher or two being released as a just in case safety net.

This is my opinion about DSDT.

Maybe it's useful to fix some hardware problem but, it's not needed for the update!!

And for those who use Voodoo kernel, it's even less needed!!!

Never gave it much importance and before doing the update, i tested it on my test system..

yeh.. i was prepared even not being prepared ;)

Not using it.

This is my opinion about DSDT.

Maybe it's useful to fix some hardware problem but, it's not needed for the update!!

And for those who use Voodoo kernel, it's even less needed!!!

Never gave it much importance and before doing the update, i tested it on my test system..

yeh.. i was prepared even not being prepared :(

Not using it.

some of us are using voodoo kernel or patched kernel to get their c2ds to work with both cores without stuttering (timing issues).

I confirm that no DSDT, no voodoo kernel is required. The usual delete of intelpowermanagement.kext (or install disabler, or install voodoo kernel and the rest), restored my AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (got a black screen with the new FB for my GMA965 x3100), restored 10.5.5 seatbelt for mounting .dmg's, AppleACPIPS2nub.kext for lapy's mouse & keyboard. SMBIOSEnabler.kext as I lost some of my "About this mac" info. Problem's not solved?

a) if I restart I loose 2 usb ports, all usb ports r available if I hard reboot it (go figure)

:) on wake from sleep only backlight comes up, definitely it's a AppleIntelGMAX3100FB's fault, haven't figured out what the ef is wrong

c) keep getting the annoying PCGenUSBECHI problem on system.log amongst some other strange errors

I've read on leo4all.com that it's not needed ig you are using voodoo kernel, and the cases that do require it are those who are using Intel GMA900 GPU.

http://leo4all.com/2008/12/17/dsdt-is-it-needed-for-1056/

I deleted DSDT, using Vanilla Kernel from the 10.5.6 combo update and PC-EFI 9 and works pretty good here!!! in fact, after I deleted DSDT, the system respond more quickly in shutdown and restarting.

I was using voodoo kernel so I supposed it took care of the new appleintelcpupm but that clears my doubts. I'll get a disabler try again and report in a few minutes.

My system:

AMD Athlon64 3000+ @2000Mhz

Asus A8N SLI

1.5 GB DDR

IDE HD

GeForce 8400 GS PCIX