Airport help please!

lotrfan

2 posts in this topic

I just added a third-party PCI Airport card to my 867Mhz Quicksilver. The reason I say Airport is because it runs off the Airport drivers and for all intents and purposes, acts like a regular Airport card, except there's an antenna sticking out of the back instead of tucked away inside the case. Anywho, I've used it for a few weeks in my Sawtooth machine and it's worked great, and I just put it into my Quicksilver today. At first, it detected my home network and I was able to connect to it, but after about a minute or so, I lost my connection and the Airport symbol became greyed out. I clicked on it, and it wouldn't even detect the networks anymore. A restart allowed me to connect again, but the same thing happened after two minutes and I lost my connection. I've tried different PCI slots and checked the antenna connection as well, but I still can't figure it out. If anyone has any idea, please help! Thanks!

Okay, so I messed around with random settings that are completely unrelated to Internet and networks, and for now, it's holding up, or at least it has been for the past 5 minutes. Doing a software update right now, hopefully it'll stay connected long enough to download everything, and perhaps the updates will fix the problem. I can only hope...:-/

Damn it! Spoke too soon! With 4.13MB left in my 186MB 10.4.11 combined update, my network connection failed. Oh cruel fate!

Update: Just restarted my computer after installing the other two updates that *did* finish downloading, and then I got this message when OSX started up (I'm paraphrasing here, since I closed out of the box too soon) "It appears the wireless network has been compromised, so it will be disabled for a minute." I clicked on the Airport symbol, and it's still greyed out, and no network names show up. BTW, I'm typing this right now from my 24" iMac connected to the same network and the internet on here is fine.

Another update: It's been 12 hours and now the Airport is holding up. Internet browsing is fine, but I can't even download the Combo update now. It starts for about a second, gets to around 600KB-1MB and then the "Time Left" slowly increases until it reaches infinity. I am downloading a torrent on my iMac and knowing Comcast's attitude toward torrents, perhaps that's the problem? I'll have to see if that's it.