MacBook Suggestion

patrykens

16 posts in this topic

I'm buiyng a Macbook soon and I'm wondering which of those two would be better for me:

- New aluminum MacBook 13,3"/2GHz/2GB/160 GB/SD/GF9400M/Alu FSB 1066

- MacBook 13,3"/2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/2GB/250GB/Double-layer SuperDrive/BT/AE (black one) FSB 800

I need it for:

- internet

- HD movies

- music /recording guitar

- photoshopping ;)

I've got 720p HD TV which would be used to watch HD movies and photoshop

agent-squirrel says if you want to watch hd you need a faster processor.. thats not true; the aluminum macbooks have newer, much faster graphics cards that have hardware decoding. that means the processor does less work and the work is offloaded to the graphics card. if you want to do any graphical stuff like photoshop or watch movies, the new graphics card is MUCH more important than the extra 400 mhz.

theres simply no competition between the macbooks, UNLESS you consider firewire a big loss. i don't, because firewire is dying and my recording equipment is already USB.

The transfer rates of the USB ones are kinda slow, but not bad. I would say definitely get the new MacBook, the graphics cards of the old ones didn't work well at all in OS X (poorly written drivers), even dock animations could be choppy. And if you're going to be watching HD movies, then you will want the faster graphics card. Plus the new MacBooks look better in my opinion.

yeah but 300$ for an illumanted keyboard and just 400mhz more is a lot. i'd also say, get the 2.0ghz and spend the saved 300$ for ram and maybe a hdd upgrade

or get a mbp, 13" is a little too small for things like ps, isnt it?

The problem is I'm from Poland, and there is little choice on that subject (upgrading macs) :P Well ... I've been working in Photoshop on my current Hack and I am satisfied with the speed and this macbook would be even faster ;) I don't do any hardcore rendering, so ... And any HD movies also ran seamlessly :)