Screen is grainy under XP

iota

26 posts in this topic

I verified that this isn't a computer problem -- a screenshot of the XP desktop looks fine when viewed under OS X. However, while in XP, the screen has a grainy look to it -- as if the entire screen is a compressed jpeg image. Even areas of solid color (desktop background, gray areas inside of programs) have a slightly randomly dithered look.

This only happen AFTER installing the ATI drivers, as far as I can tell. I tried flipping some DVI options on and off in the ATI display control panel but no change. Also happens no matter what the resolution, and even in games like Doom 3 -- however, wasn't happening during the windows install or until the ATI drivers were installed. I tried both 16bit and 32bit color modes, too.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? 17" iMac here.

I noticed the exact same thing, and got my friend who was here to see if he could see it also just so I knew I wasn't crazy, and he could see it also.

It's kind of annoying, but I don't notice it when I'm playing a game.

Check in your video setting's advanced tab if your refresh rate is not set to 60hz.

Video is set at 60hz for me. At least I'm not the only one; maybe there were some iMacs with a batch of bad video cards? This looks like digital noise (loose internal connection or something), but doesn't appear while in OS X.

Video is set at 60hz for me. At least I'm not the only one; maybe there were some iMacs with a batch of bad video cards? This looks like digital noise (loose internal connection or something), but doesn't appear while in OS X.

Yeah, mine is at 60hz also. Changed it to 75 and 85 just to see and it did nothing.

Mine also doesn't do this in OSX. I tried installing the Omega drivers to see if that would make any difference, and it didn't.

What we're seeing kind of looks like a thin layer of dust all over the screen which doesn't move when things on the screen move. If you scroll down on a webpage, the "dust" stays put while the image below it moves. It doesn't seem visible on light colors, only darker colors. It's especially not visible on white, but its totally visible on the default blue background if you switch to the Windows Classic theme instead of the WindowsXP default theme.

Yeah, mine is at 60hz also. Changed it to 75 and 85 just to see and it did nothing.

Mine also doesn't do this in OSX. I tried installing the Omega drivers to see if that would make any difference, and it didn't.

What we're seeing kind of looks like a thin layer of dust all over the screen which doesn't move when things on the screen move. If you scroll down on a webpage, the "dust" stays put while the image below it moves. It doesn't seem visible on light colors, only darker colors. It's especially not visible on white, but its totally visible on the default blue background if you switch to the Windows Classic theme instead of the WindowsXP default theme.

yes, that is exactly the problem that I am having -- using the classic theme makes it worse. I cleaned the screen off at first thinking that it was dust.

adjusting the brightness doesn't help, and no settings inside the display control panel seem to help either

I have the same problem on my MacBook, it looks like a monitor problem in my opinion.

On OS X is less annoying because everything concerning the GUI is bigger...in xp is much more enphasized.

I don't know what to do whether calling the customer service or not.....I don't wanna wait 2 weeks in order to have the same problem with a different monitor or a different videocard

P.S. I don't know about iMacs but every MacBook I had (3) and I've seen has this problem

I have the same problem on my MacBook, it looks like a monitor problem in my opinion.

On OS X is less annoying because everything concerning the GUI is bigger...in xp is much more enphasized.

I don't know what to do whether calling the customer service or not.....I don't wanna wait 2 weeks in order to have the same problem with a different monitor or a different videocard

P.S. I don't know about iMacs but every MacBook I had (3) and I've seen has this problem

I've tried and tried to replicate this issue in OSX and have yet to do so. The first time I booted into WinXP, I noticed it. I've had my iMac for a couple months now and have never seen this before.

I've tried and tried to replicate this issue in OSX and have yet to do so. The first time I booted into WinXP, I noticed it. I've had my iMac for a couple months now and have never seen this before.

I was talking about the MacBooks, don't know about iMacs maybe there it's just a driver problem

I can confirm I see the same on my iMac, the grainyness is present in OS X too, though it is very hard to spot, but I did notice it a bit when i first booted up, compared to my previous lcd panel, though under OS X its so slight that most probably woldnt notice it. under xp it was very very noticable though with the ati drivers, flat desktop looked like it was make up of 3-4 close colours in weird grainy pattern. I expect its something that could be alleviated to OS X levels by either driver/output tweaking, or update. heres hoping it comes soon though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's the deal: the graininess is dithering produced by the graphics card outputting a 24-bit picture with only 16 bits of colour. This is why there is no difference between 16- and 24-bit colour in XP on Intel Macs.

The question is why this is happening. We know it's not a driver issue, because people have used Omega drivers and nothing has changed. We know it's not a hardware issue, because it doesn't happen in Mac OS. To people saying it does but only faintly, what you're seeing is the slight variation in pixel brightnesses apparent on every LCD. That's not the same thing. Proof is that the issue is not apparent when running XP under Parallels. There's nothing wrong with the OS X video pathway, but there is something wrong on the native XP side.

My current theory is that the issue lies not in the regular drivers, but in a compatibility layer which Apple installs alongside the standard Catalyst driver that the Boot Camp CD provides. This layer remains when you install the Omega drivers. I think something is happening in this layer that forces a 16-bit output no matter what. I have no idea what to do about it, but I'm posting everywhere people might be able to help: Apple Support Forums, Ars Technica, XP on Mac, and Driver Heaven.

The only positive thing I've heard is that turning off Powerplay might reduce the noise. I don't have any idea why that would be. As far as I know, modern graphics cards take little or no performance hit when using 24 or 32 bit colour instead of 16 bit. Thus, they probably don't consume any less power when using 16-bit colour.

Oh, and everyone should email Apple's Boot Camp feedback address.

Ok, here's the deal: the graininess is dithering produced by the graphics card outputting a 24-bit picture with only 16 bits of colour. This is why there is no difference between 16- and 24-bit colour in XP on Intel Macs.

The question is why this is happening. We know it's not a driver issue, because people have used Omega drivers and nothing has changed. We know it's not a hardware issue, because it doesn't happen in Mac OS. To people saying it does but only faintly, what you're seeing is the slight variation in pixel brightnesses apparent on every LCD. That's not the same thing. Proof is that the issue is not apparent when running XP under Parallels. There's nothing wrong with the OS X video pathway, but there is something wrong on the native XP side.

My current theory is that the issue lies not in the regular drivers, but in a compatibility layer which Apple installs alongside the standard Catalyst driver that the Boot Camp CD provides. This layer remains when you install the Omega drivers. I think something is happening in this layer that forces a 16-bit output no matter what. I have no idea what to do about it, but I'm posting everywhere people might be able to help: Apple Support Forums, Ars Technica, XP on Mac, and Driver Heaven.

The only positive thing I've heard is that turning off Powerplay might reduce the noise. I don't have any idea why that would be. As far as I know, modern graphics cards take little or no performance hit when using 24 or 32 bit colour instead of 16 bit. Thus, they probably don't consume any less power when using 16-bit colour.

Oh, and everyone should email Apple's Boot Camp feedback address.

dude, keep us updated. thats the only complaint i have about bootcamp.

• 3 weeks later...

This is weird. OSx86 is having similar 16-bit color depth issue with digital connections. If you have a digitally connected monitor or a laptop, you get 16-bit color depth in OS X. (it is fine with analog)

Muriac-

Do you think there would be anyway of "forcing" the Mac to take the color the way it's supposed to?

Surely with as many driver geeks as we have around here someone could figure out a quick hack.

I attached the image that demonstrates the problem. Interesting to note that on dual monitor setup there is no dithering on secondary screen. So video card and drivers under Windows are quite capable to deliver true colors. It almost seems like LCD screen needs proper drivers.

I suspect, that it happens during windows booting since thats when video is set to 16bit first (during Windows Logo) and for some reason it doesnt come out of it.

post-39096-1147675612_thumb.jpg

I've found a little more information on the topic. From a Video Developer Note at Apple:

The 17-inch model supports an LCD display size of 1440x900 pixels at 100 dpi. The graphics card temporally dithers the 6 bits per component to show up to millions of colors.

The 20-inch model supports an LCD display size 1680x1050 pixels at 98 dpi and supports 8 bits per component to show up to millions of colors.

This explains why the dithering looks better than 16-bit colour, but worse than 24-bit: it's actually 18-bit. Presumably this is also why the problem doesn't occur in the 20" iMacs. OS X's driver must be doing some random dithering which is different every frame, whereas the XP driver does the same dithering every frame.

Muriac-

Do you think there would be anyway of "forcing" the Mac to take the color the way it's supposed to?

Surely with as many driver geeks as we have around here someone could figure out a quick hack.

Yeah, that's what I thought. And with so many people running Boot Camp on their MBPs and 17" iMacs, there's certainly plenty of demand. I spoke briefly with the Omega Driver dev, but he said the only people who could help me probably work at ATI. I don't know how to go about asking ATI, and I have a feeling they wouldn't be very responsive anyway.

Perhaps someone here could take a crack at it?