Kororaa Xgl Live CD 0.2 Released!

domino

10 posts in this topic

We have hacked our Kororaa Installer to work with this Xgl Live CD, so easy installation is now possible! This version also sports both Radeon and Intel DRI support, KDE 3.5.2, updated Gnome 2.14, Arch-CK 2.6.16 Kernel, SCSI support and more

Some enhancements include:

ArchCK 2.6.16 kernel

ATI Drivers updated (8.23.7)

Gnome 2.14 updated

Installation now possible

Intel DRI support

KDE 3.5.2 included

"No X" boot level

Radeon DRI support

SCSI / USB storage support

Swap activation

Switch to vesafb-tng

Video and sound files included

Wireless support (ipw2x, madwifi, ndiswrapper)

*Fixed Automounting

*Fixed Console switching

*Fixed Sound

*Fixed Super key

http://kororaa.org/index.php

I just got acquainted with the live cd and I am really impressed! The ATI drivers worked off the bat and with 1600x1200x24@75hz too. AC97 Sound Card worked and it did detect both network cards. Getting them to work is another story :D. Those guys really outdid themselves.

Now, about Xgl. I did get a bit queasy watching meself move windows around, watching movies, looking through transparencies. All in all, it was a wonderful experience. The is an option to install it native after you got into Gnome. I tried but the installer never worked. I guess I'll have to dig a but deeper for my answer.

indeed it is! I've run a bunch of live cd over the past year and this was the fastest. It took a bit to actually load the system and get into gnome. But when you're inside, it's a whole new world. I have the strangest feel that if you combine Xgl and an iMac, you'll have heads turning and jaws dropping!

I think that this good speed is made by SEE optimization. I look over net for distro with SSE2 or SEE3 optimization but there is no one. New Linux distro have been compiling for i386 and some for 686 but my God 686 is old Pentium.

Kororaa has been compiled with SSE. I can't imagine what benefits we will have if it will be compiled with SSE2.

That will be awesome. I now that we can compile gentoo by hand with -SSE2 flag but this will take all my entire life to figure this out.

I actually write form Kororaa 0.2

Nice but it is to bugy to actually work with it

man pages is not installed, I must load my network by hand. Alsa give me lag songs. There is many Little bugs some are already posted on Kororaa page and forum

EDIT

Of course I know that no every package can be compiled with SIMS extensions, And not every need it to work fast. But most of us have modern CPU and it will be awesome to use it when possible

Right now, I'm just happy with the progress. I have both ATI and nVidia cards. The ATI card is having a lot of problems with resolution and not being able to be detected for one reason or another. At times I have it detected, it's only at 1024 res Other times, it's not detected at all. The other card I'm using is the nV TI4200 and it had no problem detecting the card. Once I ran "fixme", it went straight to Xgl and right to KDE. Again the only proble is I can only set it to 1024x768 but at least my refresh rate is at 85Hz.

It's funny that when running the Live CD it used 1600x1200 on my ATI, nV not tested on Live CD. In any case, when using both card native, max res is only 1024. I can't wait for processor optomization. As you said, we'll have to see what SSE2 can bring us :) In the mean time, this will keep me occupied until there's more things to contribute on OSx86 front.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...