NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

It's not the USB bootloader but the EFI Partition installation munky has posted in the Genius Bar worked great for me. I'm completely vanilla except for the audio kexts added with UInstaller. All else is controlled by the kexts and plist located in the EFI partition.

Thanks again, Auzigog!

Sounds interesting, which ISO disk image did you use for this?

It's not the USB bootloader but the EFI Partition installation munky has posted in the Genius Bar worked great for me. I'm completely vanilla except for the audio kexts added with UInstaller. All else is controlled by the kexts and plist located in the EFI partition.

Thanks again, Auzigog!

This is the method I ended up going with, to heck with the USB drive. I am now booting from the EFI partition with a few kexts using Munky's method, and it works great. I also have a com.apple.boot.Plist with a graphics string for my 8400GS (which I just bought to replace the FX5200) and a string to fix Time Machine.

Things seem to be working well now, but I am having a few problems still. The most urgent problem is Migration Assistant keeps giving me a kernel panic when I try and import anything from my old Time Machine backup drive (from my Macbook). I have the drive connected via firewire, and it will usually get about halfway through the transfer before it has a kernel panic. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

I'm having trouble getting the retail Leopard to work correctly. Every time I boot using the grub_dfe.iso I noticed that it'll flash: "system config file library/preference/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist not found" then it'll go to the screen with "boot: " . I try to put in the retail Leo disk and it'll read the disk and get to a screen with an Apple icon. After a minute there's a another icon that comes up that looks like an "O" with a / through it and sits there forever.

I have my bios setting set to AHCI and everything. My sata drives are hooked up the yellow plugs and not the purple ones. I tried various different things to try to get it to work and I can't seem to install Leo. Any ideas?

This is my computer set up:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

Crucial 4gb ram

2 Sata Samsung F1 1tb HD (not RAID) - Is there a way to install Leo with a RAID 0?

Asus EN9800GT Ultimate

Samsung Sata DVD burner

I forgot to add that I really want to set up a dual boot for XP and Leo as well. I tried installing XP first and then doing then and was unsuccessful, so I deleted and reformatted the HD and tried it with a clean slate and still same problem.

Update, All audio appears to be working, though I have no true way to check, as I only run 2.1, found the fix via tomngkols ALC889A post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140941

Everything has been running like a charm for a week now. I used Carbon Copy Cloner prior to updating the kexts, and tested. I had to re-run Uinstaller with the second hard drive as the target to make it bootable.

I even got my Guitarport up and running on it

Here is my V3 Uinstaller plugin with the updated audio kexts:

Gigabyte_GA_EP45_UD3R_v3.plugin.zip

My system isn't 100% stable, I have a kernel panic once in a while

less than once a week though

I'll try your pack right away, thanks

edit:

so far so good, I added netkas ich10 drivers to your pack (fixes the drive icon problem), and OpenHaltRestart.kext (black screen at shutdown and wouldn't shutdown without it)

but I still have problem accessing this computer' shared folders, I can't figure out that problem, with fusion running I don't have the problem, strange ....

edit 2:

still not stable

I'm sure it's related to the network drivers....

it crashed twice today, while transferring data from one computer to the ud3r computer (on an IDE drive)

New guy here, well have been lurking for months just doing research.

Came time to replace my aging Xserve G4's with something much more powerful.

After doing some major research thought I would give this a shot before dumping money

on a brand new Xserve. I carefully picked out the system in my sig (based on the UD3P mobo) according to a lot of information

you guys have put up. I have to say I followed all your instructions and have one hell of a system

now. Using one of my legal Leopard Server discs/licenses and managed a smooth clean retail install, and

then adding all of your guy's hard work in kexts/instructions/etc. Gotta say one hell of job and thanks a million!

New guy here, well have been lurking for months just doing research.

Came time to replace my aging Xserve G4's with something much more powerful.

After doing some major research thought I would give this a shot before dumping money

on a brand new Xserve. I carefully picked out the system in my sig (based on the UD3P mobo) according to a lot of information

you guys have put up. I have to say I followed all your instructions and have one hell of a system

now. Using one of my legal Leopard Server discs/licenses and managed a smooth clean retail install, and

then adding all of your guy's hard work in kexts/instructions/etc. Gotta say one hell of job and thanks a million!

Hey how were you able to do a Raid and install Leo? Could you let me know? I'm having a hard time getting to even install Leo. Can you upload your boot 132 disk? Maybe I can give that a try and hopefully get my system to work. Thanks.

Hey how were you able to do a Raid and install Leo? Could you let me know? I'm having a hard time getting to even install Leo. Can you upload your boot 132 disk? Maybe I can give that a try and hopefully get my system to work. Thanks.

I used the grub-dfe.iso from Auzigog's blog (Many thanks!), and I installed with just my boot drive and dvd hooked up.

Had to make sure they were hooked up to ports 0 and 1 on the 6 channel sata bus, set in AHCI mode. Then later moved them to the 2 channel

gsata bus (meant for external sata I believe, but whatever) and just changed my boot settings in the bios.

The hardware raid on the UD3P doesn't seem to work in OS X (yet!?!), so I just have my other drives in a software raid created by the Apple Disk Utility.

Edit: Oh! I seem to recall having to disable the onboard firewire in the bios for the install, as it would do as you described above. I did a -v at the boot loader screen for verbose mode and found it hanging after the firewire...I blamed it on my 10.5.0 Server Disc. Since after I installed and updated I re-enabled it and it was working fine.

Here is my V3 Uinstaller plugin with the updated audio kexts:

I finally understood why my system wasn't stable after reading a little in the forum, probably by chance (I was looking for no good reason for the latest version of jmicronata.kext)

the jmicronata.kext I was using and also the one from your pack will cause a kernel panic as soon as the ram used gets above 3GB (I have 4GB in my system)

(I did 3 kernel panic in a row ... its "fun" running all these programs video etc the same time, my machine is super fast, I'm sure windows wouldn't keep up... , but as soon at it hits the 3GB line it blows up...)

SO anyone with a fix for that

I guess the main reason we use that is to get IDE drives to show up, I have two of those so I need a way to get IDE drive to show up...

thanks

edit: if I remove the jmicronata.kext I of course don't have access to my IDE HD, but my system is super stable I can't crash it anymore, that confirms that it is the cause of all this trouble

I'm running 4GB of ram with no issues.

I believe the ich10 kext in my plugin is from netkas.

I've found that when I would change or add a single kext using kext helper, I would have problems.

Now, when a need to install a kext, I use Uinstaller, and check all the boxes, including video card. and haven't had any problems since I started doing it this way.

Try my v3 plugin, and check all the boxes, set your resolution, and your video card etc. and you should be fine.

I also found out on a couple of occasions, I had to reboot a second time.

My kernel panics also appear to have been from JMicronATA.kext. At least I think that was the problem... I have removed it and so far everything is stable (keep your fingers crossed!).

I'm using grindliners kexts in my EFI partition (using Munky's method) and everything works great (with the exception of JMicron). Thanks grindliner!

I'll report back if the kernel panic problem returns.

Thanks

OK so I removed any kext I installed before and restored the original ones

and now I used Uinstaller with all the option checked, and your v3 plugin

I hope it will work ...

after first rebbot... interesting, it did reboot without the OpenHaltRestart.kext ... I like that ... and sleep still works ...

after 2nd reboot... just noticed that the hard drive icon shows up right without the netkas kext I used previously ... I like that too...

now I'll try to panic the system

I'll run quicktime, vlc, divx player, and online flash video all running a video, then with photoshop create a 20000px X 20000px image and apply gradient...

checking memory usage with BigTop.app (comes with Apple XCode), it comes with a nice visual interface...

.5GB...

1GB...

1.5GB...

2GB...

2.5GB...

...KERNEL PANIC !!!...

I'll keep looking for a fix thank you anyway

A least I don't need some of the kext I was using before ... so thank you for that too

I've been trying to use the grub-dfe.iso from one of the earlier posts but every time I use it I get a message saying:

Error 23: Error while parsing number....

I've tried burning this sucker on 2 different CD's. Nothing works. Possibly a DVD perhaps? I don't think it would make a difference...

Apparently it happens when grub is looking for something but encounters bad data, has anyone had this problem?

k3NmAStel2,

HAve you been able to even boot to the leopard disc yet?

Have you formatted & partitioned your hard drive yet?

If you have formatted and partitioned already please explain how you did it.

At first when I wanted to do a dual boot with XP and Leopard with a Raid, so first I did the Raid with the Intel chipset and partitioned 1tb for XP and left 1tb untouched and installed XP. Later I tried to install Leopard and I kept getting that one error screen and just booted the Leopard disk to the grey screen with the apple sign. All I got after that was a "O" with a "/" through it signaling an error of some sort.

I then deleted the Raid, set the in the bios to AHCI and reformatted the hd one for XP and still left the other untouched for Leopard and still ran into the same problem. I'm going to try to disable the firewire and see if that helps any.

Is there a way to do a dual boot with XP and Leopard and still have a Raid 0?

Eliade, do you keep using the same stick of memory when you go from 2.5 to 3? maybe a bad stick of ram?

mrskitch, a cd is fine, I would say double check your bios. maybe make sure you have the latest grub-dfe. I used a windows computer to burn mine.

k3NmAStel2, you can try and disable the FW in your bios, and re-enable it after you install. I have no idea on the raid.

my best suggestion would be to follow auzigog's guide to the letter, using his files, then mine once you get it running.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I never ran DSDT patcher.

Eliade, do you keep using the same stick of memory when you go from 2.5 to 3? maybe a bad stick of ram?

mrskitch, a cd is fine, I would say double check your bios. maybe make sure you have the latest grub-dfe. I used a windows computer to burn mine.

k3NmAStel2, you can try and disable the FW in your bios, and re-enable it after you install. I have no idea on the raid.

my best suggestion would be to follow auzigog's guide to the letter, using his files, then mine once you get it running.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I never ran DSDT patcher.

I tried disabling the FW in the bios and still had the exact problem and error that comes up. I downloaded the grub_dfe.iso from the auzigog guide and did everything to it and I still getting no where. How am I suppose to partition the HD? I thought I was doing it correctly. Can you upload your grub_dfe.iso? Maybe something is wrong with mine? Did you also set your Sata/Raid to AHCI? Should I try Disable?

mrskitch - are you using a SATA or IDE DVD/CD Drive?

K3NmAStel2 - Since you've actually hit the Apple boot screen it kinda sounds like your grub-dfe is working mostly.

Have you done -v at the boot loader screen and gone into verbose mode to see what it's getting stuck on? That might help us identify an issue.

(When it tells you hit F8 for boot options or enter to continue, or something like that. Hit F8 and type -v at the boot: prompt)

Guys, see post #41 by bigpoppa and check your bios

I recommend starting over from scratch. follow auzigogs guide to the letter.

with gurb-dfe when the screen says boot the first time , swap the grub-dfe for your leopard disk, wait until the light on the drive stops blinking then hit enter, when the screen says boot again hit enter again.

You are using a retail osx disk, and not an upgrade disk, or a leopard disk that came with a mac aren't you.

Also is it 10.5.5?

Thanks

OK so I removed any kext I installed before and restored the original ones

and now I used Uinstaller with all the option checked, and your v3 plugin

I hope it will work ...

after first rebbot... interesting, it did reboot without the OpenHaltRestart.kext ... I like that ... and sleep still works ...

after 2nd reboot... just noticed that the hard drive icon shows up right without the netkas kext I used previously ... I like that too...

now I'll try to panic the system

I'll run quicktime, vlc, divx player, and online flash video all running a video, then with photoshop create a 20000px X 20000px image and apply gradient...

checking memory usage with BigTop.app (comes with Apple XCode), it comes with a nice visual interface...

.5GB...

1GB...

1.5GB...

2GB...

2.5GB...

...KERNEL PANIC !!!...

I'll keep looking for a fix thank you anyway

A least I don't need some of the kext I was using before ... so thank you for that too

Try booting with "debug=0x100" so you can see what is causing the kernel panic. For me it was JMicronATA.kext, and I bet it is the same for you (I am running 8GB of RAM with no problems now).

Your pack of kext also solved my network problem (accessing this computer's shared folder), which is the biggest problem I had

good idea!

I have 4 x 1GB, so I tried using only 2 of those, no crash, switched with the other 2 no crash, so that shows that all of the sticks work well

But to be sure I also tried with only 3 sticks of ram, still works very well

switched the last stick unused with another, no crash

added the last stick so now 4 are installed, Kernel Panic (still when lots of memory is used ... last seen value was 2.8 GB but was increasing very fast, so it probably crashed at 3GB and some ...)

also realized that your pack of kext does not fix shutdown (black screen but fans are still running)

I'll just add the OpenHaltRestart.kext I was using ealier

... strange... the computer just crashed again, it was just started up few minutes ago and I wasn't using it, so there's more that just using up the ram

but it is most likely related to the ram

Now I'll run on 3GB until I can find a fix, at least it's stable

Try booting with "debug=0x100" so you can see what is causing the kernel panic. For me it was JMicronATA.kext, and I bet it is the same for you (I am running 8GB of RAM with no problems now).

yes I though that was the problem

thanks for that info, trying it...

I was able to get up to 3102MB when it crashed

the debug info said:

Backtrace continues...

com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage

com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily

com.jmicron.JMicronATA

com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily

Yeah, so clearly the JMicronATA is one of the cause...

but without JMicronATA I don't have access to my IDE HDs

dang, that was easy!

first osx86 install, and it worked out surprisingly well!

using all the resources found in this forum, especially ousuke's first post, skx's posted kext, auzigog's guide, grindliner's kext, and bigpoppa's BIOS settings together made everything work. i know some of it is redundant, but i haven't found any issues yet.

gigabyte ep45-ud3r

intel quad core q8200

evga 8600gt 1gb

Is anyone else having problems with Bonjour? I can see my attached NAS under "Shared" in the Finder, but not my other Macs on the same network. But, the other Macs can see my hackintosh. I'm using the RealTekR1000.kext and an EFI string to fix Time Machine. Could either of those be related?

EDIT - solved my own problem. RealtekR1000.kext cannot be in the munky EFI partition or it will not completely work. Moving it to S/L/E solved my problem.