NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Well it appears to have been a one time issue.

Today it booted fine and everything works, lol :)

The adapter now shows a mac address. I never did find any log entry to explain the problem.

Well that's very good to hear.

I have many backups including a time capsule that does my real macs and the hackintosh, I can say that it has worked great if something went horribly wrong.

I cannot say how wonderful time machine is.. even for our hackintosh's it works perfect.

Well done! I as well use both with TM being my backup of first choice for files and such and my full blown bootable image as the ultimate saver in case of apocalypse.

I will say that using chamelon 2 + retail, kexts in extra/extensions is almost flawless so far for the past few months.

Super easy!

I agree, almost being the key word. I find it curious that I get a number of messages during boot that show there is something not quite as perfect as the Mac, but most don't seem to affect the use of the machine. But clearly something is going on under the hood that doesn't occur with my real Macs. And I think your NIC issue is just one of those things that we have to put up with when using a Hackintosh. That although with this mobo we have a very stable system, we may now and again have something inexplicable that goes wrong. Hopefully, as in your case, it fixes itself with a reboot or two.

UPDATED PACK with new sound:

Pack_for_10.5.7___May20.zip

I added a bunch of readme I just made: how to use this pack, tips and tricks, how to install from retail disk , etc...

don't hesitate to edit/update/add more detail to the readmes and how to's, I did it quickly and I'm sure it can be improved... then post them so that I can replace them in the pack

that will lower the number of repeated usual questions... in this thread

Just a quick, perhaps stupid question: why are there two folders ("__MACOSX" and "Pack for 10.5.7 _ May20") inside the Pack_for_10.5.7_May20.zip file? When you open the "__MACOSX" folder, there is yet another "Pack for 10.5.7 _ May20" folder. Is this a weird quirk of opening the zip file in Windows? Which pack should I use? Please advise.

Ok, nevermind... it's a Window's thing. Unzipping on Mac yields only one folder tree.

BTW, thanks for all the work putting this pack and how-to's together. thumbsup_anim.gif

I did a fresh build today using Eliade's UD3R 10.5.7 pack and how-to's. Everything seems to be working ok except video. The screen resolution defaulted to 1024x768 with no options to change it in system preferences. In the UInstaller, there's an option to use a default resolution which I set to 1920x1200. After rebooting the default resolution is 1600x1200... again, no other resolution options in the system preferences. There's also a problem with windows not refreshing after being moved. This is likely related to the video driver not being associated correctly with my card.

My video card is an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT, 512MB (which I entered in the Custom card setting for UInstaller).

I used this exact hardware (different hard drive) and installed using a UD3P package and instructions. Video worked perfectly (1920x1200) in that setup plus many alternate resolution options in the system preferences. But the system profiler seemed to have problems recognizing some hardware so I wanted to try this approach especially since I have a UD3R mb.

Would someone please point me in the right direction to get my video working correctly?

I did a fresh build today using Eliade's UD3R 10.5.7 pack and how-to's. Everything seems to be working ok except video. The screen resolution defaulted to 1024x768 with no options to change it in system preferences. In the UInstaller, there's an option to use a default resolution which I set to 1920x1200. After rebooting the default resolution is 1600x1200... again, no other resolution options in the system preferences. There's also a problem with windows not refreshing after being moved. This is likely related to the video driver not being associated correctly with my card.

My video card is an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT, 512MB (which I entered in the Custom card setting for UInstaller).

I used this exact hardware (different hard drive) and installed using a UD3P package and instructions. Video worked perfectly (1920x1200) in that setup plus many alternate resolution options in the system preferences. But the system profiler seemed to have problems recognizing some hardware so I wanted to try this approach especially since I have a UD3R mb.

Would someone please point me in the right direction to get my video working correctly?

Look for NVKUSH

^^^

OSX86Tools & NVinstaller v52 will probably work for that 9500 GT card, but I think he wants to get it working with UInstaller and an efistring.

There is a typo in Eliade's howto.. it states to put the modified boot.plist file in extra/extensions... under step 6

You need to have in reside in extra/

The rest of the how-to refers to it being in extra/ :huh:

I just found that out as well while reading his howto. Without it in extra/ it resorts to default settings, so simply move it to /extra and reboot and everything is fine.

:)

There is a typo in Eliade's howto.. it states to put the modified boot.plist file in extra/extensions... under step 6

The rest of the how-to refers to it being in extra/ :huh:

I just found that out as well while reading his howto. Without it in extra/ it resorts to default settings, so simply move it to /extra and reboot and everything is fine.

Yep, that's it alright. Good catch. Thanks a ton. All is good now... biggrin.gif

Does anyone else's UD3R wake up shortly after going to sleep? I thought I had sleep working, but then I come back, 10 minutes, 1 hour, some amount of time later, and the machine is awake and chugging away!

I turned out WOL in the BIOS, so I'm stumped -- anyone??

-Dan

plympton, I also thought I have, but I haven't too :( but the other way.

i did the hack my way through leo4all 10.5.4 server edition with embedded old chameleon 1.0.11 step-by-step to 10.5.7 - 5.4 -> 5.5 -> 5.6 -> 5.7 (to analyse possible compatibility issues)

it refused to reboot itself after upgrading to 5.6 and on. only hard reset worked . after applying openhaltrestart reboot was fixed. force sleep by apple menu seems working one way -> to sleep. mouse is incapable to awake, keyboard pushes system to power on but boot fails prior pc's self test

more to say i only got to use ide, hd icon fix and sound kexts from this thread (all in s\l\e)

i got ups identified correctly (apc) under energy saver with both (power and ups) @push hdd to sleep when possible@ unticked

to be honest - i have no ideas about the cause...

--

the other seems-to-be-painful thing is Time machine. it erred till fixed with uinstaller trick, but now it's stuck at @preparing@ for 6+ hours at the moment of last visual check (7 hours back from now)... wonder whether my install is THAT untrustworthy (googled apple's official reply to 'why preparation takes a while') for it to check up so long :) - will check TM in turn when get home today :)

--

and to fill up ud3r knowledge base:

- i confirm RAID-5 rocketraid 2640x1 based array works like a charm :)

- i had no need in realtek kext as i've had no issues with ethernet from the very beginning so far (including screen sharing from hack to MBP)

I like the solution NetKas posted for my Nvidia 8500GT.

http://rapidshare.de/files/47461448/Enable..._cards.pkg.html

Hy, my masters!:-D

I rekognized a little proglem, it's not so big, but started, to interest me.

So I have 8Gigs of 1066mhz Kingston RAM-s in my machine, and the Osx is rekognize it as 667mhz memorys. Can I do something to use it on higher mhz? Or forget it,?

Thx, for your anwsers!

So I have 8Gigs of 1066mhz Kingston RAM-s in my machine, and the Osx is rekognize it as 667mhz memorys. Can I do something to use it on higher mhz? Or forget it,?

Thx, for your anwsers!

When you say recognize (or rekognize :rolleyes: ) do you mean that the speed is showing up that way under the About this Mac/System Profiler? If so, that is just a visual and your computer and the operating system is probably correctly utilizing the speed at 1066Mhz (if that's what's in your BIOS).

You can adjust what the System Profiler displays using smbios.plist if you are using Chameleon v2. To do so you would enter the following within the smbios.plist file using TextEdit:

<key>SMmemspeed</key>
	<string>1066</string>

You'll first want to copy the file to your desktop, then make the edits to that file. Then copy and paste (or drag n' drop) back to your /Extra folder. It will ask you to authenticate. Do a reboot and everything should appear good.

Thx, for your anwsers!

Netkas made a cpu detector http://netkas.org/?p=72 

Run it & see what it says about your cpu & ram. :rolleyes:

The rest of the how-to refers to it being in extra/ :(

I wrote those very quickly ;)

anyway, I fixed it

thanks

When you say recognize (or rekognize :) ) do you mean that the speed is showing up that way under the About this Mac/System Profiler? If so, that is just a visual and your computer and the operating system is probably correctly utilizing the speed at 1066Mhz (if that's what's in your BIOS).

You can adjust what the System Profiler displays using smbios.plist if you are using Chameleon v2. To do so you would enter the following within the smbios.plist file using TextEdit:

<key>SMmemspeed</key>
	<string>1066</string>

You'll first want to copy the file to your desktop, then make the edits to that file. Then copy and paste (or drag n' drop) back to your /Extra folder. It will ask you to authenticate. Do a reboot and everything should appear good.

Thx!

And sorry for my great great English, :)

You should probably check out this..

http://nvinstaller.com/

go to the downloads section.

Slightly off-track, but I'm having an annoying little problem. I dual-boot between Windows 7 and OSX 10.5.6 using the Chameleon 2 bootloader.

After using OSX, the Bios clock changes. This means every time I use Windows, I have to enter the BIOS and change the time manually.

Why is it doing this and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

Has anyone tried cloning their main drive built with the Eliade 10.5.7 pack /Extra/Extensions approach? I would like to migrate my current drive to a new hard drive. I tried using SuperDuper however the fine print says it doesn't copy some temp and system files... apparently those files are needed since my clone wouldn't boot. I messed around with reinstalling Chameleon and EFI stuff on the clone and got it working (and booting)... although it's still a little quirky. The sleep functionality broke somehow.

Anyway, can someone recommend an approach to create a fully functioning clone? Please advise.

Thanks Eliade, used your pack to upgrade my UD3P to 10.5.7 - everything appears to be fine including sleep. Is it me or does 10.5.7 include native support for Jmicron? I'm getting 'unknown AHCI Standard Controller' in my device tree. I don't appear to be loading jmicron.kext anywhere

Has anyone tried cloning their main drive built with the Eliade 10.5.7 pack /Extra/Extensions approach? I would like to migrate my current drive to a new hard drive. I tried using SuperDuper however the fine print says it doesn't copy some temp and system files... apparently those files are needed since my clone wouldn't boot. I messed around with reinstalling Chameleon and EFI stuff on the clone and got it working (and booting)... although it's still a little quirky. The sleep functionality broke somehow.

Anyway, can someone recommend an approach to create a fully functioning clone? Please advise.

I already did a full functioning clone twice (from different size hd once from 160 to 160GB and once from 500Gb to 160GB) with success using carbon copy cloner (free)

after the copy all you have to do is reinstall chameleon on that drive as if it was a new install, every thing else will work perfectly

I already did a full functioning clone twice (from different size hd once from 160 to 160GB and once from 500Gb to 160GB) with success using carbon copy cloner (free)

after the copy all you have to do is reinstall chameleon on that drive as if it was a new install, every thing else will work perfectly

Thanks Eliade. Yep, I tried CCC earlier today and reinstalled Chameleon on the clone... and it seems to work perfectly.

Just got 10.5.7 to work. Thanks Eliade

Everything is working except for sound, even if I use the blue directory, it won't work. Tried all of the directories and no go.

Any help please?

In System Preferences, have you set device for soundout to "Internal speaker, built-in speaker"?