NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

<br />Thank You,<br />It might be useful to tell people to set the audio to use internal speakers<br />even though isnt one. Sound wouldnt work when wet to headphones.<br /><br />My p45-UD3P is working great.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If that board uses the 889a chip, just grab the kext from my sig.. it routes everything great, and you wont have the hipass problem on the bass

<br /><br /><br />

If that board uses the 889a chip, just grab the kext from my sig.. it routes everything great, and you wont have the hipass problem on the bass

Hey fellow fan of Lexx! :) Greetings from another fan of the awesome show. :(

Thanks for the kexts too, "internal speakers" just isn't right.

Sorry if this is a noob question, this is my first hackintosh

Has anyone with the ud3r had any problems with audio stuttering?

It works great until you do something like rendering and then it starts stuttering very badlly. VLC will then play video extra quickly, while quicktime player will play videos very slowly.

I installed using iatkos 10.5.5 with Pc_Efi 9 and the "Latest 889a kext" from osuke's post as well as the one from the azuigog guide. I also installed the kexts on my iportable usb drive installation, and the same things happened.

This is my last hurdle. thanks.

@ astralk:

no audio problem on my side, use the kext posted by skx on his second post

add ALCinject and appleHDA to your S/L/E folder (with kext helper)

and HDAEnabler to your Extra/Extensions folder

change the output to the one you're using (I use the line out port)... and it works great

(some kext I tried had unwanted pop sound once and a while, but not that one)

-----

help me please ...

my system works great except that:

My networked shared folder (with AFP or SMB) on the ga-ep45-ud3r is accessible from other macs (one macbook pro and another hackintosh) only for about 5mins, it works great during that time...

but afterward it's not working/accessible anymore

but ethernet still works on the gigabyte, and I can still access the ga-ep45-ud3r with ssh connection...

I can do 2 things, restart the computer or stop the shared folder feature and start it again, it will then work for another 5mins

for ethernet I use the RealtekR1000.kext and added the EFI string

anyone of you tried accessing the ga-ep45-ud3r shared folder over the network ...

Thanks

edit:

I can actually still connect to the shared folder using the "connect to server" from the Finder Go menu, but not directly through the finder window (on the left side)... weird ...

any advice ?

I spent the whole weekend trying a bunch of different things and learned alot. Kudos to Auzigog for the guide!

First off, after reading some of the other retail install threads, there are ALOT of instability issues running a retail install of 10.5.6

Currently I'm running straight to Auzigog's guide, my main issue is when waking from sleep, I have no ethernet. Once I reboot, I'm fine until it it sleeps.

I'm using Auzigogs audio kexts with no issues, I had to use SKX's on my Ideneb install to resolve audio pops.

Some of what I learned is, Be very careful with kexts. When I install Appleahciport.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext it renders my system unbootable.

Also found out that Time machine is usless, Comp was unbootable with a Boot0 error upon restoring.

Issues that still need fixing:

Ethernet upon waking from sleep

Drive Icons displaying properly

chipset, motherboard and memory in system profiler

My suggestion is that we make a more refined guide for this motherboard, or any Gigabyte board with ICH10R, ALC889A, and R8111C.

I think we need to come up with one master set of tested Kexts, and a documented install method and order, to eliminate some of the redundancy ie; all of the different audio kexts in this thread here.

Then we can create a package for Uinstaller and really simplify this.

My next step for the moment is to come up with a quick and easy way to restore my system after I break it! as stated before, time machine is usless for me right now.

I spent the whole weekend trying a bunch of different things and learned alot. Kudos to Auzigog for the guide!

First off, after reading some of the other retail install threads, there are ALOT of instability issues running a retail install of 10.5.6

Currently I'm running straight to Auzigog's guide, my main issue is when waking from sleep, I have no ethernet. Once I reboot, I'm fine until it it sleeps.

I'm using Auzigogs audio kexts with no issues, I had to use SKX's on my Ideneb install to resolve audio pops.

Some of what I learned is, Be very careful with kexts. When I install Appleahciport.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext it renders my system unbootable.

Also found out that Time machine is usless, Comp was unbootable with a Boot0 error upon restoring.

My suggestion is that we make a more refined guide for this motherboard, or any Gigabyte board with ICH10R, ALC889A, and R8111C.

I think we need to come up with one master set of tested Kexts, and a documented install method and order, to eliminate some of the redundancy ie; all of the different audio kexts in this thread here.

Then we can create a package for Uinstaller and really simplify this.

My next step for the moment is to come up with a quick and easy way to restore my system after I break it! as stated before, time machine is usless for me right now.

Time Machine is your best friend in the Hackintosh world! You need to to have in mind that, when you restore from TM, you are erasing the disc, so you lost the boot files, the only thing you need to do is reinstalling then, also if you use the Munky method you don't need to reinstall anything. I hope this could help you. ;)

Also found out that Time machine is useless, Comp was unbootable with a Boot0 error upon restoring.

I have folder sharing random issues which bothers me more and more, the source of the problem being on this gigabyte board

because sharing work great both ways between my macbook pro and Shuttle K45 Hackintosh

could be a problem with the Bonjour service

other little issue

the screen sleeps and wakes up fine as long as the computer doesn't go to sleep while the screen is sleeping, easy workaround:

never send the monitor to sleep, or never send the computer to sleep

My Ethernet works after sleep

Drive icon display properly without manually changing the icon, only a kext fix that

(on netkas website: http://netkas.org/?p=80)

works partially

under serial ATA it shows "Intel ICH10R", I don't know if that's what you want...

memory shows 4GB which is what I have and speed is also right

CPU speed is good but it says unknown CPU

try it:

these are kext I found here and there

see attached file

you'll see organized in folders two will need to be in S/L/E folder in order to work (in this case sound)

if you are using pcefiv9 (i.e chameleon 1.0.12)

follow these instruction (by netkas) for everything to work

this avoids having any more S/L/E modification to have an almost perfectly clean&original system

in case of pcefiv9. what to do with those kexts ?

put them to /Extra/Extensions/ folder

run few commands:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Extra/

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/

sudo kextcache -a i386 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

sudo mv /Extra/Extensions /Extra/Extensions1

Hope that helps

ga_ep45_ud3r.zip

Time Machine is your best friend in the Hackintosh world! You need to to have in mind that, when you restore from TM, you are erasing the disc, so you lost the boot files, the only thing you need to do is reinstalling then, also if you use the Munky method you don't need to reinstall anything. I hope this could help you. :D

So then if the disk is erased, I should then be able to boot w/ grub-dfe disk, run the Chameleon/uinstaller again and be good to go? I did try that, and I couldn't even boot using grub-dfe

ok, just found the munky method, got some reading to do.

I found the culprit. Itunes 7 seemed to be causing a memory leak once opened on both systems. Upgrading to iTunes 8 fixed it. My hack's working perfectly now. Granted, I don't use the network. Thanks to all for the great guides!

Alright... so in order to preempt my wife from accidentally clicking the 'sure, install the 10.5.6 update and hose everything' button, I decided I had better take tonight and try to update my JaS 10.5.4 install to 10.5.6.

The key was DISABLER.KEXT -- DO NOT try a 10.5.6 update without it (or some other automatic AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext disabler--doing it by hand or simply deleting the file will NOT work).

If you don't have it installed, the 10.5.6 updater WILL KERNEL PANIC mid-install leaving you with a trashed extensions (and System) folder. Simply restoring extensions will not fix the problem.

Lots of bumps along the way and almost lost all my data (!!!) but here's what I've arrived at:

GUIDE TO UPDATING FROM JaS 10.5.4 TO 10.5.6 ON A GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R:

1. Download the 10.5.6 Combo Update from Apple -- doing it through software update will tag the installation onto a reboot, and if you want to do any terminal hacking after the installation, but before reboot, you can't.

2. Before running the update, install Disabler.kext (attached) and reboot so that it is running when the install takes place.

3. Run the update. Grab a beer. Maybe catch a Tivo'd episode of South Park or House or something.

4. Come back to a nice fresh 10.5.6 install. Reinstall sound kexts or anything that may have gotten tweaked.

Good luck! -- I love this thing!

P.S. I grabbed a couple RCA panel-mount jacks and some extra cables that had 2-pin connectors on them and made an SPDIF IN and (an additional) SPDIF OUT jack. They work great in Logic... I'm using them with an Apogee Rosetta 200 A/D D/A converter... fairly low latency and I don't need to rely on my M-Audio Audiophile 192 card anymore for digital I/O.

Awesome!

Disabler.kext.zip

Edit

Audio outputs still not right, will try fuma's tonite.

I will also be uploading a plugin for Uinstaller

I think I got it.

I downloaded a Uinstaller plugin for the GA-EP45-DQ6, and pulled the kexts out and re-ran Uinstaller selecting all options, but this time with the new kexts, and all issues appear to be resolved!

I think kext helper may have been causing my problems.

Heres what was done:

ICH10R support (ioahcifamily & ioatafamily)

AppleACPIPlatform (reboot fix)

Psyster RealtekR1000( for ethernet)

IntelCPUPMdisabler

JMicronATA

dsmos

Applesmbios

Kexts:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

JMicronATA.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

dsmos.kext

here's the goods:

GA_EP45_UD3R_complete_Kext_set.zip

Anyone used munky's EFI Partition bootloader with this board yet?

Just completed a Boot-132+Retail install to 10.5.6 last night without doing any EFI or kext work. Hoping to try out the EFI partition install in the next few evenings (Big game tonight...probably won't get much playing done).

Thanks to Auzigog's fantastic instructions - they helped a ton! Other than having a bum retail 10.5.4 DVD burn, all went smoothly.

Edit

Audio outputs still not right, will try fuma's tonite.

I will also be uploading a plugin for Uinstaller

I think I got it.

This package worked GREAT on my brand new install! Thank you!!!

PS: we really need to have the first post in this thread list the correct BIOS settings for everyone.

I had no luck with fuma's link to Indraganzo's method, I still had to use headphone for the audio, I also tried a few other things as well.I would like to see more details on it, specifically what other kexts were used?

Bigpoppa206, is right on the bios (which version) I am still using the bios that came on the board. after reading the details of the updates on the gigabyte site, I saw no reason to update them. But I have read in a few other threads about problems with the 889A audio, and that some peoples boards are actually ALC885.

I'm at the point with audio, that I'm gonna leave it as is intil I can find someone that comes with a solid way to fix this. I'm only running 2 channel anyways, but plan on getting some good monitors, as my main reason for building this thing is for use as a DAW, so being able to select proper audio output is releavant.

Does anybody see anything else that needs to be added to the kext package?

BTW, here is the plugin I made for Uinstaller:

Gigabyte_GA_EP45_UD3r_v2.plugin.zip

Bigpoppa206 is right on the bios (which version) I am still using the bios that came on the board. after reading the details of the updates on the gigabyte site, I saw no reason to update them. But I have read in a few other threads about problems with the 889A audio, and that some peoples boards are actually ALC885.

I'm using F3 which is the latest I could find on the Gigabyte site for this board. Not sure where I got this and not trying to take the credit for it, but here are the BIOS settings that I followed:

BIOS SETTINGS:

Standard CMOS Features:

1. Change the Date and Time to the correct values

2. Set “Drive A” to “None”

3. Set “Floppy 3 Mode Support” to “Disabled’

4. Set “Halt On” to “All, But Keyboard”

Advanced BIOS Features:

1. Set “First Boot Device” to “CDROM”

2. Set “Second Boot Device” to “Hard Disk”

3. Set “Third Boot Device” to “Disabled”

4. Set “HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability” to “Enabled”

5. Set “Limit CPUID Max. to 3” to “Disabled”

6 Set “No-Execute Memory Protect” to “Enabled”

7. Set “CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)” to “Enabled”

8. Set “CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)” to “Enabled”

9. Set “CPU EIST Function” to “Enabled”

10. Set “Virtualization Technology” to “Enabled”

11. Set “Full Screen LOGO Show” to “Disabled”

12. Set “Init Display First” to “PEG”

Integrated Peripherals:

1. Set “SATA AHCI Mode” to “AHCI”

2. Set “SATA Port0-1 Native Mode” to “Enabled”

3. Set “USB Controller” to “Enabled”

4. Set “USB 2.0 Controller” to “Enabled”

5. Set “USB Keyboard Support” to “Enabled”

6. Set “USB Mouse Support” to “Enabled”

7. Set “Legacy USB storage detect” to “Enabled”

8. Set “Azalea Codec” to “Auto”

9. Set “Onboard H/W LAN” to “Disabled” (unless you plan on just living with the onboard Ethernet quirks)

10. Set “Onboard IDE Controller” to “Disabled” (unless you plan on using the IDE ports)

11. Set “Onboard Serial Port 1” to “Disabled. Set “Onboard Parallel Port” to Disabled”

Power Management Setup:

1. Set “ACPI Suspend Type” to “S3(STR)”

2. Set “Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN” to “Instant-Off”

3. Set “PME Event Wake Up” to “Disabled”

4. Set “Power On by Ring” to “Disabled”

5. Set “Resume by Alarm” to “Disabled”

6. Set “HPET Support” to “Enabled”

7. Set “HPET Mode” to “64-bit mode”

8. Set “Power On By Mouse” to “Disabled”

9. Set “Power On By Keyboard” to “Disabled”

10. Set “AC Back Function” to “Soft-Off”

That's it! Exit BIOS and save your settings.

I am coming to this thread from an old ASUS P5W DH Deluxe thread that I used to hang out on. The ASUS is nice but since it is no longer available so I thought I'd try this Gigabyte board. Very impressed so far, now if I can get this setup to as close to vanilla as possible I'd be happy! Using Geekbench, my P5W got to around 5600 but today I broke 7100 (using a Xeon 3370 Core 2 Quad CPU, 8 gigs of Crucial DDR2 RAM and twin Fujitsu SCSI hard drives booting off a LSI 21320R controller in RAID0 mode. This baby is fast!)

EDIT: PLEASE reply to this thread if you have different settings or discover something that works better so that we can refine these settings for all. Thanks!

I had no luck with fuma's link to Indraganzo's method, I still had to use headphone for the audio, I also tried a few other things as well.I would like to see more details on it, specifically what other kexts were used?

Bigpoppa206, is right on the bios (which version) I am still using the bios that came on the board. after reading the details of the updates on the gigabyte site, I saw no reason to update them. But I have read in a few other threads about problems with the 889A audio, and that some peoples boards are actually ALC885.

I'm at the point with audio, that I'm gonna leave it as is intil I can find someone that comes with a solid way to fix this. I'm only running 2 channel anyways, but plan on getting some good monitors, as my main reason for building this thing is for use as a DAW, so being able to select proper audio output is releavant.

Does anybody see anything else that needs to be added to the kext package?

BTW, here is the plugin I made for Uinstaller:

Could someone offer me some advice? I have got my system up and running with the following components: GA-EP45-UD3r, Q6600, 8GB Ram, and NVidia GeForce FX5200. I created a Boot-132 CD from the kexts in the plugin quoted above. I also purchased a USB flash drive that attaches directly to the motherboards USB header. My plan was to put my bootloader on this internal drive and use it to boot my hard drive with an untouched retail install. I can't seem to figure out how to get this to work though... I was using Universal OSX86 Installer but it won't let me install to a USB drive. I also tried using StickPin's USB bootloader method but that didn't seem to work either. Can anyone help?

Thanks again to all of you for your great info on the UD3R, it has been incredibly helpful!

I believe nobody in this thread has a bootloader on a thumbdrive, While it would be sweet, from the little bit I looked into it, it is difficult to achieve.

If it were that easy to do, everyone on the forum would have it.

Nuts. Thanks, I'll keep working at it. I still have lots of other problems, like getting my FX5200 recognized, but that is just a matter of time.

Do you have a running install? 10.5 or 10.5.6?

Download and run Uinstaller. Look at auzigog's guide.

Yes, I have followed Auzigog's (excellent) guide up until step 5 (and 6) . The reason I stopped here was because I wanted to leave my retail install drive untouched and install chameleon and everything from Uinstaller on my internal USB drive (it is plugged right into the motherboard, sort of a poor man's EFI-X :D ). Anyway I can't seem to get Uinstaller to work on the USB drive, only on my hard drive. I guess I'm making things harder than they need to be by trying to install to the USB drive, but hey that is part of the fun of this whole process, right?

As for my graphics card, I tried getting it to work with Uinstaller and things went a little haywire (it is not supported out of the box by Uinstaller, but I followed the Custon nVidia install steps). I'll give it another shot though. It was working fine under Tiger using Titan so I'm sure it won't be too tough to get it working again (fingers crossed).

Thanks again for your tips. I appreciate any help you can offer.

This motherboard is sweet and I'm really excited about my new build (much improvement over my old P4 running Tiger!).

Could someone offer me some advice? I have got my system up and running with the following components: GA-EP45-UD3r, Q6600, 8GB Ram, and NVidia GeForce FX5200. I created a Boot-132 CD from the kexts in the plugin quoted above. I also purchased a USB flash drive that attaches directly to the motherboards USB header. My plan was to put my bootloader on this internal drive and use it to boot my hard drive with an untouched retail install. I can't seem to figure out how to get this to work though... I was using Universal OSX86 Installer but it won't let me install to a USB drive. I also tried using StickPin's USB bootloader method but that didn't seem to work either. Can anyone help?

Thanks again to all of you for your great info on the UD3R, it has been incredibly helpful!

IT'S VERY EASY ...

I have the 132 bootloader on a flash drive I guess that's basically what you want...

I have the udr3 motherboard

but I also have a Shuttle k45 which doesn't have a DVD drive (it's a server so a DVD drive isn't really needed) , and connecting an DVD drive with the box open is not very practical... so I had to have that bootable USB flash drive

I now install OSX only using a flash drive and a USB HD with OSX install disk on it.

then after the install is done OSX can be booted using that same flash drive... (I prefer to install Chameleon ie pcefiv9 because of the faster boot time, my flash drive is slow...)

there's a How To thread for it on this forum, HERE

Or Just follow my instructions: (just a little different compared to the previous link)

3 Main Steps ONLY (since you already have your custom boot 132 CD)

STEP 1:

you need windows ... (I did it on XP on a virtual machine using FUSION)

download this

it's an HP utility that will make your flash drive bootable (with MS Dos on it), very easy to use

when you're done with this just remove all the files on it (the hidden ones too, and System protected files too) (don't format of course)

The partition is bootable and empty, now you need boot file...

STEP 2:

Download those boot files and copy them at the root of your flash drive

DOWNLOAD HERE

(credit to stickpin and his how to)

STEP 3:

Copy your custom initrd.img located on your boot132 CD on to the root of your usb flash drive

OK there's a STEP 4 but it might already work the way it is now...

on your flash drive you may need to edit the file syslinus.cgx (with textedit)

and change the last line more precisely the "81", this is your drive number

for drive 0 you need number 80, for drive 1 you need 81 ...etc

it's now set to 81, because your flash drive may be seen as drive 0 and your HD with OSX on will be drive 1 (so you would need 81 as the number)

but it really depends on your config

if you have the wrong number after it's booted onto the isolinux just press [ESC] and it will ask you for the number, try 80, then 81 and 82 (if you have 2 HD), one of these should work...

then modify the syslinux file to the right number...

the order of the drive is probably related to the boot order (of flash drive and HD only... DVD doesn't count), so if you set the flash drive to be first and the HD with OSX second the right number should be 81...

THAT'S IT ...

just boot on to your flash drive ...

hope that helps

IT'S VERY EASY ...

THAT'S IT ...

just boot on to your flash drive ...

hope that helps

THANKS! I tried this before but had problems, but I will follow your instructions again tonight and hopefully have success.

Sorry if I derailed the thread! Back to the UD3R...

It's not the USB bootloader but the EFI Partition installation munky has posted in the Genius Bar worked great for me. I'm completely vanilla except for the audio kexts added with UInstaller. All else is controlled by the kexts and plist located in the EFI partition.

Thanks again, Auzigog!