NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

For god's sake, please go HERE:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174385

These guys have it nailed, and I have since switched to all their kexts. Also plenty of Snow Leopard info there.

Spending tonight getting all the kinks worked out.

Here's my system:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

4gigs RAM / 1TB SATA HDD / IDE DVD+R / Zotac 7600GS video card

Here are some notable events so far:

First off--I've never seen a motherboard with an 8-pin CPU connector. Apparently these are common, except not all power supplies are wired for them. This board has one and absolutely requires that it's connected (in my experience today, using just a regular ATX12V 4-pin connector doesn't work, I get weird reboots and such.) I snagged a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter (just splits the 4 wires) and everything is great. Time for a new PSU anyways methinks.

Tried the boot-132/chameleon thing--not much luck, but then again, I'm on an IDE drive and using a DVD-DL burn of Leopard Retail--neither one bodes in my favor. I'm going to get ahold of a Leopard retail disk and try it.

I tried imaging the Leopard Retail DMG to a 16gig USB flash drive. Didn't want to boot on it's own. Installed Chameleon on it as well, booted to the Leopard galaxy splash screen and crashed. Every time.

I grabbed my USB DVD-ROM, bit the bullet, grabbed JaS 10.5.4, and went to install it.

No hard drives found.

Went to the BIOS, in Integrated Peripherals and set SATA RAID/IDE to AHCI -AND- the other SATA controller setting to AHCI down below. THEN it found the drives. Word to the wise: make sure your Hard Drive is connected to the YELLOW

Loaded up the installed--checked the NVKush option for my 7600GS in Customize, and the installation crashed before it finished. Lame.

Reinstalled without customizing. Worked perfect.

Reboot. Desktop. Yay. No sound, no networking, and OSx86 tools tells me I need to update my JMicron driver (for my IDE devices).

SATA connectors and not the PURPLE ones.NETWORKING: http://osx86tools.osx86.hu/RTGMac2.zip

JMICRON (IDE): http://osx86tools.osx86.hu/JMicron.zip

AUDIO:

Grab Latest_889a_AppleHDA.kext.zip AND HDAEnabler.kext.zip from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

EDIT: I've attached the kexts I've used now through my 10.5.4 -> 10.5.6 update. So far so good! Install disabler.kext if you plan on doing the update to 10.5.6. The NVkush I've included is for my eVGA 7200 GS.

So far so good. Updates to come.

EDIT: While *I* haven't personally had any problems with the IDE/JMicron ATA drivers I've posted, others HAVE, so I have attached the driver that supposedly has been fixed for RAM > 3gb. Hope this is of help!

Disabler.kext.zip

GAEP45UD3R_audio.zip

NVkush.kext.zip

JMicronATA.kext.zip

hi, skx

i've just finished installing retail osx leopard on my GA-EP45-UD3R.

here's my way.

1. boot from retail osx leopard dvd with grub-dfe.iso (boot from cd-rom)

2. set up osx leopard

3. reboot with grub-dfe.iso(cd-rom boot)

4. apply apple software update.(include 10.5.6 update)

5. reboot with grub-dfe.iso(cd-rom boot) again

6. down load Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg and mount the image

7. open grub-dfe.iso and open /boot/initrd.img

8. copy /Library/Application Support/DarwinBoot/Extra/Extentions folder into Chameleon Extra Contents folder

9. Double-click the Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg to install it

10. reboot without cd-rom

11. install nvidia gpu driver(9800GT with NVinject.kext 512mb by iDeneb)

12. apply power off bug fix and install OpenHaltRestart.kext

13. apply AHCI, JMicronATA, RealtekR100 kexts

that's all and works perfect :P , but sound :(

ousuke

WOW! You guys are amazing! I'm planning on buying this board but I was a little nervous because so far there is not too much documentation around the boards about it. Looks like a great motherboard and I'm glad you all are having success. I know the audio needs patching but that doesn't look to be too difficult. Thanks again for posting this very useful info. When I get my UD3R next month I'll let you guys know how the set up goes!

Hi

I have GA-P45-UD3 (UD3 not UD3R) and i try to install without luck.

I only have a power supply with 4 pin for processor. (I need a 8pin power supply?)

AHCI fine with AHCIFIX

But no luck with any FX strings for my 8600 GT 512 MB.

NAtit load but not QE/CI.

Nvkush Not load.

Nvinject not load.

The LAN dont work.

THe audio it s not important for me, i have and RME 9632 but this card work fine in hackintosh in my other install. With this motherboard i don´t have luck.

Please help me!!!!! i still with my old mobo asus p5k/EPU but i really need this beast Working.

Thanks for your time!!!!

I only have a power supply with 4 pin for processor. (I need a 8pin power supply?)

You technically don't, but it cut down on some erratic startup behavior when I connected a power supply with an 8pin 12v ATX2.2 connector. YMMV

AHCI fine with AHCIFIX

But no luck with any FX strings for my 8600 GT 512 MB.

NAtit load but not QE/CI, Nvkush Not load, Nvinject not load.

Definitely a topic for another thread since it's not the same card, but look at following the tutorials around here. Mainly how to hack in your vendor/device ID into certain files, and how to set your NVCAP setting.

Also, here are some relevant threads:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=82080

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95132

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103747

The LAN dont work.

THe audio it s not important for me

Now back on topic--

Try the LAN and Audio kexts I posted. Should work fine.

Best of luck!

Here are my current kexts

Also attached is NVkush with the correct alterations for my eVGA 7200 GS for QE/CI and dual monitors.

P.S. The Zotac was defective. It's being RMA'd. Picked up the eVGA for cheap.

So that audio kext gets your audio working? I'm still stuck on audio with my EP45-UD3P. When did you apply your kexts? With chameleon? Or just with osx86tools?

Hi!

i've got a perfect audio i/o according to drivers below.

thanks, skx

:) but i'm still working on the ICH10 driver.

... all that hard drive icons are shown as removal drives...

can any one tell me how to fix it ?

ousuke

AUDIO:

Grab Latest_889a_AppleHDA.kext.zip AND HDAEnabler.kext.zip from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

... all that hard drive icons are shown as removal drives...

Another post had mentioned that this was the correct behavior as AHCI drives are indeed hot-swappable (and so displayed as orange drives on the desktop)! So while that behavior is functionally correct, it's not aesthetically correct.

Rather than load another kext, which someone around here suggested in another post (there's also a way to hack it into one of the existing kexts too), I just manually changed the icons of the drives in 'Get Info'. I attached the normal HD icon here.

The process (if you don't already know):

1. Grab HDicon.zip from this post

2. Unzip

3. Click on the icon

4. File menu:: Get info (or Command-I)

5. Click on the little icon in the top left corner.

6. Copy (Command-C)

7. Click on the hard drive on the desktop with the orange, removable icon

8. File menu:: Get info (or Command-I)

9. Click on the little icon on the top left corner.

10. Paste (Command-V)

I did that for all my drives. I also installed Paragon NTFS so I could read/write my Windows drives too, that allowed me to change the icons for those as well!

My rationale was this:

My 3 drives are always going to be in my machine, and once I set a custom icon for them, I never have to worry about it again. With a kext, there could be incompatibilities down the road, it's another thing that an OS update might muck up, and, last but not least, there's the distinct possibility that if I hacked a kext to fix the icons for my internal drives, any actual removable drive I'd use wouldn't show up orange like they're supposed to--they'd show up like normal internal drives, which isn't what I want. =)

I stumbled upon these today--haven't tried them:

raggedjagged's Extensions.mkext for boot-132 for the GA-EP45-UD3R

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=996755

raggedjagged's brief instructions on a vanilla install for the GA-EP45-UD3R

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1001205

raggedjagged's instructions on getting About This Mac to show the correct CPU, etc:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=140682&hl=

hdicon.zip

hi, skx

i've just finished installing retail osx leopard on my GA-EP45-UD3R.

here's my way.

1. boot from retail osx leopard dvd with grub-dfe.iso (boot from cd-rom)

2. set up osx leopard

3. reboot with grub-dfe.iso(cd-rom boot)

4. apply apple software update.(include 10.5.6 update)

5. reboot with grub-dfe.iso(cd-rom boot) again

6. down load Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg and mount the image

7. open grub-dfe.iso and open /boot/initrd.img

8. copy /Library/Application Support/DarwinBoot/Extra/Extentions folder into Chameleon Extra Contents folder

9. Double-click the Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg to install it

10. reboot without cd-rom

11. install nvidia gpu driver(9800GT with NVinject.kext 512mb by iDeneb)

12. apply power off bug fix and install OpenHaltRestart.kext

13. apply AHCI, JMicronATA, RealtekR100 kexts

that's all and works perfect :( , but sound :D

ousuke

These instructions helped me a ton in getting my EP45-UD3P board up and running. I posted a blog and a complete guide of what I did. I also kept a log of my many attempts.

Thanks!

to skx

thanx for the icon.

well... now, i think i found a way to fix ICH10 driver.

but, i did many things at one time.

so, i can't tell you how did i do it, yet... :wacko:

to Auzigog

your instructions are just awesome !

i wish i could read your guide, before my installation... :D

to skx

thanx for the icon.

well... now, i think i found a way to fix ICH10 driver.

but, i did many things at one time.

so, i can't tell you how did i do it, yet... :(

to Auzigog

your instructions are just awesome !

i wish i could read your guide, before my installation... :)

Well it would've been quite the paradox if you had, because my guide definitely wouldn't exist unless you had finished your install.

I kept trying guides with boot 132 and PC_EFI v9. Using grub-dfe and chameleon seemed to fix everything. Yay!

Hi Guys! Thanks to skx for linking me to this thread and attaching the drivers I used for this mobo. I installed with the boot-132 method, using grub-dfe.iso and netkas' PCEFI_v9. The kexts I've used were the ones in skx's earlier posts linking to my posts.

Everything works great, except for 1 problem I'm having. Whenever I do a large data transfer to another hard drive (NTFS) it takes WAY too long!! I tried transferring 17GB of data from the OS X Hard drive to the Data hard drive, and it said it would take 12 hours!! But maybe that is just a reported estimation and it could be wrong, right? So I let the transfer process go on anyway, but 5 hours later it was still not done, so I just canceled it. This is a serious problem for me and I need to fix it, does this happen to anyone else here?

If that one problem is fixed, I think we'll have a 100% functional OS X installation.

P.S. I noticed that you guys have problems with the hard drive icons showing as External drives. I did not have that problem with my kexts. Every hard drive showed as Native right out of the box (even with grub-dfe.iso). However, I am having the slow file transfer speeds problems. Just a peice of information I wanted to share with the community so we can figure out something for the best for all of us using this board. :)

Hi

I've an P45-UD3 installed with iaktos 10.5.5 and updated to 10.5.6. So far all is working now, but I wanted to install via a retail DVD (got only 10.5.0 by now). I can boot with grub-dfe until the prompt, then I switch to the mac os install dvd (default is 9f) hit enter and have the dvd listed as hd(31,0). Hitting enter again cause the dvd to boot but I can't get past this with the error "still waiting for root device".

My DVD is on the atapi port (purple, JMicron dev_2363), the bios mode is configured to IDE mode for it, if I switch to AHCI for the DVD, I can't even boot the grub disc (error checksum if I recall correctly)

So I've tried many boot disc with dfe, even make my own ones with the jmicron driver and strings added, but always fail with the error "still waiting for root device".

I've tried to put the drive on master and slave but no success. The drive is alone on the connector.

Is anyone having an idea ?

Great thread, this MOBO is the exact same one I plan on buying now and I can't believe how well it seems to work. I have just one question (so far!), are the firewire drives working correctly? Alot of what I want to do relies on those firewire ports functioning.

ok I find the solution, it seem's the version in plist is important. If it's the same, the patched kext is not used. I've downloaded and extracted the one one jmicron site (version 1.06 against 1.00) and the "still waiting for root device" is gone.

I'm now somewhat blocked at install because the installer doesn't allow me to choose an MBR partition for install, only guid is available but I can't select this because of xp partitions in place.

Is there any thing I can do to forece install on MBR partition (without modifying the install DVD) ?

for the firewire, I've seen no problem so far but I haven't any HD, only a DV camcorder.

freethemac -- definitely link the JMicron driver (or better yet, post your modified kext!). That sounds like the solution to having a SATA DVD drive for an install (i.e.--I wish I would have had that about a week ago!).

In regards to the MBR install--I just transitioned my 10.4.10 install (on a completely different machine) that shared the drive with a Windows XP install using iPartition. I used that to create the HFS partition and then installed to that. The idea here is that the drive was prepped using iPartition before running the install...all the installer had to do was write to the partition that was already there.

The general recommendation from everyone is that you should set aside a second, completely separate hard drive for your OS X install and not have to worry about juggling partitions around to get everything copasetic. My 10.4.10 install is a laptop and I don't have that luxury =)

In regards to firewire--works great. I ran my Logic install (50gb) off of a firewire drive, worked perfectly. Also hooked my macbook up in Target Disk Mode and copied another 50gb of samples, also worked great. Expect zero problems with firewire, as much as I can tell.

Raggedjagged-- I don't have any silver bullet answers, but try Paragon NTFS and see if it's faster. It very well might be. NTFS transfers have always been notoriously slow, even on my 10.4.10 machine. It has nothing to do with the hardware drivers and everything to do with OS X's built-in NTFS support code. The other option is to boot into windows and use MacDrive to do the copies. As I recall NTFS>HFS using MacDrive in Windows is much faster. I hope it's just a one-time copy and not something you need to do regularly--that could get sticky. The other option, of course, touted around these parts is to set up a FAT32 transition partition that you can use as a temporary holding area between Windows/OS X.

Still loving my rig!

Hi

here are the iso I made for my P45-UD3.

this allow me to install Untouched RETAIL DVD from the jmicron controller in IDE mode. I've not tried AHCI for the dvd coz I only have an ide device right now. This contain the minimum to boot :

OpenHaltRestart.kext

JMicronATA.kext

Disabler.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

I've succesfully installed 10.5.0 with it on separate hd in a GPT partition and backed it up to another HD in mbr later, with no problem.

P45_UD3.rar

Auzigog - AMAZING tutorial, thank you so much for your hard work. I'm ordering this motherboard in a few days and I can't wait to get started. Your guide looks to be very helpful! I'll update once I receive my parts and put everything together.

Hi

And thank you all for the info dedicated to this board (ud3r)

Do any of you know anything about a working & stable speedstep kext and reliable CPU Temp reading with this board

I have tried superhai GenericCPUPowerManagement.Kext for speedstep, but my system then has daily kernel panic

Thanks

--------------------

By the way found kext from netkas, some modified driver for the southbridge ich9/10 , which even solves the Macintosh HD icon problem, while still getting the right icons for external drives

you'll get them there: http://netkas.org/?p=80

works great

Are you guys still running the original F3 bios, or have you flashed to F4 or F5?

I'm currently running F3 with the ideneb v1.3 distro, but planning to do a vanilla install.

The only problem I'm having is with firewire. It is enabled in the bios, but in >about this mac>more info, it states no firewire ports can be detected. anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I've tried search, but can't find anything.

EDIT: I just resolved the firewire issue by re-installing the following kexts:

IOfirewireAVC.kext

IOfirewireFamily.kext

IOfirewireIP.kext

IOfirewireSPB2.kext

IOfirewireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext

Edited by grindliner

Great thread, this MOBO is the exact same one I plan on buying now and I can't believe how well it seems to work. I have just one question (so far!), are the firewire drives working correctly? Alot of what I want to do relies on those firewire ports functioning.

I have this board running 10.5.5 and the firewire ports work normally without modification.