Pestering driver writers & hackers

munky

17 posts in this topic

A handful of hard working dedicated people are keeping this community alive. Those people are going above and beyond the call, taking on a great challenge for no reward whatsoever. Many of them are kind enough to share information and to occasionally post on their progress.

However, there are those who seem to think its ok, so long as they're polite, to pester those hackers with endless posts along the lines of:

"Great work. Any progress?"

"How long do you think it will take?"

"I will be happy to beta test - drop me a PM"

and other equally asinine comments. I'm sure plenty PMs are flying, probably to the point that people like omni will stop even bothering with the PM system. Why do you think Maxxuss keeps such a low profile on these forums? Because he knows if he pops his head up he'll get bombarded with requests 'Maxxuss, you're a hacking god - please get my mouse / graphics card / network card / usb coffee warmer to work with OSX!' I dont blame him and others for wanting their peace.

I know we're all keen to see progress, but please people, try to remember that the guys doing the work owe us nothing, and if we pester them too much and expect too much of them, they might just not bother. And that would be sad for us all.

So please, wait patiently, and be mindful of the fact that we wouldnt have come so far without those few.

Here's to the crazy ones. :)

PS feel free to start 'hero worship' threads if you want to express gratitude, but DO NOT clutter up technical threads with stupid pointless posts.

Hey Munky, is it a possibility to start deleting posts in the technical threads that are just along the lines of:

"Thanks, when can we expect this?"

"Thanks a lot, [insert author name here] you're awesome!"

etc, etc.

I notice it clutters up the ATI driver threads....

Hey Munky, is it a possibility to start deleting posts in the technical threads that are just along the lines of:

"Thanks, when can we expect this?"

"Thanks a lot, [insert author name here] you're awesome!"

etc, etc.

I notice it clutters up the ATI driver threads....

I vote for this too. I just had to read a 4 pages thread that contained 4-5 informative replies. The rest was a$$-ki$$ing and pestering stuff.

PS: I looked up pester, you could not have found a more suitable word:

To harass with petty annoyances; bother.

• Like 1

the problem with deleting posts is that the op's might wonder where they've gone and repost. but yes, i see your point, and i'll see what i can do about clearing up some of the ati threads.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I really think that ppl should be DECENT. Were not theirs employers! and, if we cant use our brains to code, im pretty sure we can to be decent and leave them have fun with their projects, and then, we have fun with their success. It is really simple. If u dont have nothing to say, dont say nothing. Use your brain...

And of course, the ppl who cant code and cant be decent, would create their own forums and have their own entertainment asking {censored} between theirselfs.

Moderatos are moderatos... no teachers from kinder-garden. Dont u think?

Regards,

Don Canguro.

PS: And... sorry, my brain doesnt work too great in english =P (I speak Spanish in native, English only in VMWare... and u know it, it is really slows =P)

Developers keep this forum moving. Without them, nothing would get done. They have real lives and don't owe us anything. We can appreciate their efforts but bugging them gets us no where.

So here's what we're going to do. Starting today, any thread that even seems remotely antagonistic to developers will be locked immediately (or deleted depending on its content).

Any post that does not offer constructive information on the drivers - that means any posts that makes opinions about what the developer should or should not do - will simple be deleted. We're here as a technical forum, not one where we critique and bother people. Troubleshooting and helping with the drivers are encouraged; whining and making the dev angry is not.

Finally, if it comes to my attention that you have been hassling any developer via PMs or any other method, you will be suspended. End of story.

Why are we taking these measures? Because great assets like JaS and Omni will be lost if you keep up what you've been doing. We've already lost a few devs this way. It won't happen anymore. Period.

We've got some great plans to help devs out in the very near future. They are the lifeblood of this forum and I will not allow 1% of you to ruin it for the rest.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe Omni gets tired of the 12938091823981230 stupid requests every day, the thing is that since today the Omni's Ati Site is down, instead of that now you get redirected to a Nvidia Shop Website.

I agree with you Munky, many people does not read the posts, the information; even if there is a whole thread with solutions, they don't bother to read, they only ask and the worst...i read one day a post from a :censored2: guy who was pissed off because he posted 3 notes asking something and nobody answered him. it's a shame....

• 1 month later...

Great point here! But as always, there's a 'but'. I like this forum but I do mis a couple of things, so here are my suggestions:

• Every (sub)forum should have a FAQ. All the stupid questions are too frequent, so could be answered here just once.
  • The mods should forbid/delete slow chat. Slow chatters should get just one warning, by PM, and then be banned.
  • Every (sub)forum should contain the rules about opening a topic and about posting. Hackintosh is not for newbees, but why allow everybody to act as one? Opening a new topic should be according to a few rules: Describe what you did to find the answer yourself. Describe your problem with all the informations about that problem, including hardware/software info. What did you test and what was the result?
  • The developers should get a special status, with their own room. Besides the dev's, only selected members should get acces for reading/posting.

Sorry for my english, but I tried to translate the idea behind the dutch forum gathering.tweakers.net, which is moderated with these rules. It works great!

• 4 months later...

ehmm, it works but it could also blast the forum into pieces...

what's wrong if member wanna thank the devs :(

i've searching the forums for info to the problems here on my machine,

but damn there are so many threads, with more or less information, most

of them doesnt solve the problem's here, it could take hours to find the "one"

tip, what helps with one problem, after what there's a run to the right files,

also looking the threads whats the best to solve my problems, maybe

here must be a central knowlegde base with hints + files and keeping

it uptodate (not only for the newest kernels, also to the older ones)

and remember most members feel the big brother behind ;)

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this forum and I don't do pestering ..

What I do/did was the socalled ass-kissing :D

As an ex-linux user I find it quite nice if someone lets you know your guide/driver/whatever is working..

If it's not appreciated in this forum, no problemo :)

Cheers !

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I don't have a problem with a little bit of ass kissing, but ass kissing can be done by PM, TBF.

What bugs me is the pleas for aid. You shouldn't plead or beg or whatever.

Test

Post result, with any relevant data and maybe a "cheers for your effort"

"Plz get dis werkin on mi mac its da only fing dat aint." or even the more erudite versions in real languages irritate me. You want to encourage them? Donate. Maybe have a look at source code yourself and see what you can decipher. YOu may come up with the wrong conclusions, but at least you TRIED.

Oh, and for the last time, can people learn to accept when it's not worth it to support a particular bit of hardware that is non-vital to anyone (E.G. a certain wireless USB dongle) since it can be replaced easily with any supported one. Note: That was USB dongle. I'm all for the MPCI driver hacks, those things are expensive, and you can fry your machine swapping them out.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I want to start developing drivers for the OSx86 community. However I have yet to find any good resource on where to get started. I have contributed to some linux driver development, but OSX is a completely new beast, any advice? I do own a true mac (24" imac) if that helps or is needed.

• 4 months later...

I'm with jstad, if I can figure out how to do it, I'll make all the off-beat drivers that are common to little POS ECS and etc motherf___boards.

Seems that Microsoft/XP, has their list of common drivers for cheap poopy motherboards, and Apple has their list of common drivers.... When Apples were being made from Motorola chips (RISC processors) they had us by the balls and to use MACOS you had to BUY a whole MAC.

This new deal with Apple using Intel (CISC processors- And I even used to know the diff between risc and cisc), they are TRYING to continue to be Proprietary... But they CAN'T - Cos they end up having to use support chips that are common for PCs, even though they take the label off of the chip so you can't tell what it is by looking into the Mac system (Or the I-phone)

Where I am stuck, is that I am brand new to this, and NO experience using Terminal, this last week was the first time ever I used it. Well, I can do it, cos I had to learn how to use the Dos CMD box... But it is hard to find examples of some command lines.

Also, the command lines we have to deal with for TERM are much more intricate than the ones I am used to for DOS.

I can operate an XP system (maybe even a Vist{censored} system) by using the CMD line, and a keyboard and no mouse... But an Apple was a GUI before it ever was a command line OS like DOS/Windows/XP/Vist{censored}

Ergo if I come around, it will not be to beg, but sometimes I need to know more about a process and command lines and switches.

• 6 months later...

Ask yourself one simple question: "WHY do people ask for help?" Is that because they are stupid, or were they simply unable to find the answers/tutorials to guide them through?

p.s. I know how that feels, as I left a community after ten years of service, just because it was taking too much out of me, and all for free. And whatever you do, and how hard you work, they don't care; there will always be more questions and what not. Draining all energy out of you, taking away most of the fun and joy, after all that is how I started to get involved with my projects. FYI: I made this decision, to quit, last year; because people were bothering me on my holiday in Spain, and boy did that suck!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with munky , but hey come on those developers enjoy this thing. and i felt that feeling when i got my sound card working properly after i patched applehda. u kinda start liking it that people are asking for help. so the developers kinda enjoy members asking them or thanking them or even begging them. but than ya ur right there are some really pointless posts. After all this OSX Stuff thing is fun. :P