10.5.6=no wired ethernet and firewire

Nemphys

35 posts in this topic

Hi, after updating my Toshiba U200 laptop successfully to 10.5.6, everything seems to work ok except my integrated network card (Intel Pro 100/VE) and firewire port.

The weird thing is that these two pieces of hardware have never caused me trouble and have been working from day one with iAtkos 4i and throughout all updates until this one.

I have tried replacing many kexts with the ones from 10.5.5 (like IONetworkingfamily, IOPCIFamily, OIFirewirefamily and others) with no success.

Any help would be appreciated!

The weird thing is that yesterday, during 1 session, both devices (ethernet, firewire) worked fine (without replacing any kexts or anything), but after I rebooted, they both stopped working and haven't worked since!

Please, any ideas?

It happened the same to me with USB 2 (EHCI) devices. I rolled back the USB kexts (USBFamily and USBStorage) together with the EHCIsleepEnabler (superhai) and AppleACPIplatform from 10.5.5. Anyway it worked just for one boot until I added a DSDT with a fix for USB sleep. Now it seems to be working. Also I rolled back IO80211 and IOnetworking kexts 'cos I had a dependency problem with the broadcom kext....

As far as I can tell I think is related with how the devices are powered down (at restart/shutdown). If this is not done properly they can not initialize in the next boot...just my guess. The behavior seems almost random; Im trying to narrow it down....

On Gigabyte boards update went smoothly, without any issues.

On cheaper Assus P5L-MX board, after days of trying, I couldn't get Realtek PCI card to work normally. DSDT fixes, old kexts, additional kexts....

Actually, card would initialize sometimes by booting with -v -f (not always -like 5:3), which brings even bigger confusion in determining the cause of the problem. So, I decided to enable onboard Attansic L1 ethernet adapter, which was problematic earlier. That worked at the end, after pulling down a bit overclocked CPU, and P5L-MX is now fully functional again (with and without DSDT).

I'm very curious if somebody with problematic Asus board could try:

A ) Booting with -v -f couple of times, to see will it work sometimes or not

B ) Booting with default CPU frequency, if you have overclocked CPU (this is known issue for Attansic, I'm not sure about other cards)

I know this sound very diabolic, but I'm very curious to see some results :P

Thanx

I just found out that one of the 10.5.6 kexts is definately causing the problem.

After deleting all contents of /System/Library/Extensions folder and replacing them with a full backup of the 10.5.5 kexts, I managed to boot the system with both ethernet and firewire working!

Now the hard part is to find which kext is actually causing the problem. I have already tried replacing the ones I suspected (like IONetworkingFamily, IOPCIFamily, IOACPIFamily, AppleACPIPlatform, IOFirewire*), but no go.

Any ideas about which kext could cause the problem (it is very hard to find, since the ethernet and firewire devices are just ignored during boot, no error messages or anything; it's just like they aren't there, though they turn up in ioreg).

One more thing that might give a clue: if I put the computer to sleep and then wake it up, firewire IS detected, but does not operate properly. Also, there have been 2 times that both devices where incorrectly detected during boot and after a sleep and wake were working properly until the next reboot.

Please help, I am going nuts here....

FOUND IT!

It was AppleHPET.kext after all.

After replacing it with the same kext from 10.5.5, both ethernet and firewire work perfectly again (although I get some errors with red colors during boot, I hope it's not something too bad).

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! THANK YOU VEEEEERRRRRYYYYY MUCH!

Edit: Maybe installing 10.5.5 acpi can solve errors during boot. I will try it later.

Finally got firewire back with the aid Nemphys! thankyou.

I replaced applehpet from 10.5.5, but in verbose mode it doesnt load and is shown in yellow.

So i just removed it completely.

Ive noticed though the firewire speeds start up and and freeze for moment and continue, usb is faster at the moment, so the drivers are still not correct.

@Diablooo - 10.5.5 AppleHPET attached:

AppleHPET.kext.zip

@asadev - what boot method you using? I tried the HPET swap and got KP. I have a fixed DSDT (HDEF & Ethernet) for P5K VM, though HDEF works it does not show in profiler, it may be possible the DSDT also fixes Firewire as that does not show either (does not show ports but does show in Network) but I don't have any firewire devices to confirm.

Link to P5K VM DSDT (Hdef & Ethernet fixed)

Hey, I just mod the disabler.kext to disable AppleHPET.kext (only). For now it just work on the Extra/Extensions folder (probably works on Munky's efi partition too). If you put it on the regular S/L/Extensions folder you need to boot with -f everytime. It solved the firewire problem for me (I dont have any device to test but it shows on the sysprofiler and on the IOReg). However I get 'ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure' message at boot.

Just test it!

AppleHPETDisabler.kext.zip

EDIT: You might want to edit the plist on the kext; change the IOProbescore value to 1000. Seems to work better.