[How to] Intel GMA 900 done right: full QE/CI for leopard

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

mercurysquad

mercurysquad

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 521 posts
What is it? This is an enabler kext which gives your Intel GMA900 (i915) graphic card hardware acceleration (QE/CI) support under Leopard. This is not a patched or modified kext. It is supposed to be used in addition to the GMA950 kexts that come with leopard.

Details: There are a lot of patched kexts floating around for GMA900 support in Leopard. dfe aka David Elliott has made a great enabler kext which allows GMA900 cards to use stock GMA950 kexts. This means NO patching or hacking is required and you can keep using Apple software updates and take advantage of updated graphic kexts.

How to use -

Install these two kexts. Reboot. That's all.

This works for all GMA900 device IDs (0x2582, 0x2592, 0x2792)

Notes
  • You must have all stock kexts. If you are using patched kexts currently, please revert all AppleIntelGMA* to the ones that came with your version of Leopard.
  • The framebuffer is old. Some people may be able to use stock framebuffer too, but most often you will need this older framebuffer kext.
  • Resolution changing and mouse artifacts are related to framebuffer. So if you are trying to fix those, the framebuffer kext is what you want to experiment with first, followed by original GMA950 kexts.
  • Please no OpenGL.framework hacking either. Everything should be original Leopard version.
I have not made these kexts, the work is dfe's, I am only bringing it to the OSx86 community and therefore cannot offer any support except maybe adding any new device IDs

Attached Files

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Great, I will test it with 10.5.4, 10.5.5 and 10.5.6

flibblesan

flibblesan

Lenovo hackbook guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Works brilliantly using the old framebuffer. Slight artifacts due to this framebuffer, but newer ones give worse performance and kernel panics when applications try to set a resolution.

Thanks, DFE, for the work.

opfobo

opfobo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
THANKS A LOT!

I reverted all changes and used your newer FrameBuffer together with the other file and have now QE & CI enabled on my Intel 915 Video Card on my HP dv1000 notebook :-)

Specs:
HP dv 1000 (actually dv 13something)
7MB Video and 64 Virtual RAM (Bios Settings) on my Intel 915 Card
Distro iDeneb 10.5.5
Audio: AC97
Trackpad with Scrolling as mentioned here (http://forum.insanel...811&hl=touchpad) works without a problem - but it's a bit tricky to figure out how to use it actually ;-)
LAN - OOB
BT - OOB
Wireless - 2100 do not work but I have a USB Stick ;-) I think I'll patch my CMOS and get an ATHEROS based MiniPCI WiFi adapter

alien2xx

alien2xx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

THANKS A LOT!

I reverted all changes and used your newer FrameBuffer together with the other file and have now QE & CI enabled on my Intel 915 Video Card on my HP dv1000 notebook :-)

Specs:
HP dv 1000 (actually dv 13something)
7MB Video and 64 Virtual RAM (Bios Settings) on my Intel 915 Card
Distro iDeneb 10.5.5
Audio: AC97
Trackpad with Scrolling as mentioned here (http://forum.insanel...811&hl=touchpad) works without a problem - but it's a bit tricky to figure out how to use it actually ;-)
LAN - OOB
BT - OOB
Wireless - 2100 do not work but I have a USB Stick ;-) I think I'll patch my CMOS and get an ATHEROS based MiniPCI WiFi adapter

Hi, did you get transparent tool menu bar with this?
I use a different kext and I get QE/CI support under system profiler but no transparency on the tool menu bar.

Thanks!

piggor

piggor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Really? i will try it , wait a moment ......

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
It could be a sticky but in Hardware->Grpahics Cards IMO

BTW, I tested with 10.5.4 with success.

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:Wandering around on the internet!! Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.
How about an enabler for the new framebuffer to load on desktops with GMA950?

piggor

piggor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Perfect! i use it at my leo 10.5.6, it's great, my quicktime is ok too, no video black/white, it's color!

redoctober

redoctober

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What is it? This is an enabler kext which gives your Intel GMA900 (i915) graphic card hardware acceleration (QE/CI) support under Leopard. This is not a patched or modified kext. It is supposed to be used in addition to the GMA950 kexts that come with leopard.

Details: There are a lot of patched kexts floating around for GMA900 support in Leopard. dfe aka David Elliott has made a great enabler kext which allows GMA900 cards to use stock GMA950 kexts. This means NO patching or hacking is required and you can keep using Apple software updates and take advantage of updated graphic kexts.

How to use -

Install these two kexts. Reboot. That's all.

This works for all GMA900 device IDs (0x2582, 0x2592, 0x2792)

Notes

• You must have all stock kexts. If you are using patched kexts currently, please revert all AppleIntelGMA* to the ones that came with your version of Leopard.
  • The framebuffer is old. Some people may be able to use stock framebuffer too, but most often you will need this older framebuffer kext.
  • Resolution changing and mouse artifacts are related to framebuffer. So if you are trying to fix those, the framebuffer kext is what you want to experiment with first, followed by original GMA950 kexts.
  • Please no OpenGL.framework hacking either. Everything should be original Leopard version.
I have not made these kexts, the work is dfe's, I am only bringing it to the OSx86 community and therefore cannot offer any support except maybe adding any new device IDs

It is the 1 i need but i don't know how to INSTALL. im new be in OSX86. anybody pls teach me. thx

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

It is the 1 i need but i don't know how to INSTALL. im new be in OSX86. anybody pls teach me. thx

Use this :)
http://cheetha.net/

alien2xx

alien2xx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Installed on a sx280 small form factor running iDeneb 10.5.5, full QE/CI and I got transparent top menu bar, excellent!!! :) thanks so much... (now if I can only make the NIC to work could be a perfect install "BCM5751" :D )

opfobo

opfobo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hi, did you get transparent tool menu bar with this?
I use a different kext and I get QE/CI support under system profiler but no transparency on the tool menu bar.

Thanks!

I do not exactly know what you mean with transparancy...

If it's the background image which shines through I will check it later, but I musst say I do not like it at all... It anoyed me all the time on my other machine

flibblesan

flibblesan

Lenovo hackbook guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Installed on a sx280 small form factor running iDeneb 10.5.5, full QE/CI and I got transparent top menu bar, excellent!!! :D thanks so much... (now if I can only make the NIC to work could be a perfect install "BCM5751" :wacko: )

What's wrong with your BCM5751? 00:00:00:00:00:00 MAC address?

If yes, then check out my DC7100 guide at http://forum.insanel...amp;mode=linear and follow the steps to get BCM5751 working. It involves using a script that sets your MAC address once en0 is created. Works well.

alien2xx

alien2xx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

What's wrong with your BCM5751? 00:00:00:00:00:00 MAC address?

If yes, then check out my DC7100 guide at http://forum.insanel...amp;mode=linear and follow the steps to get BCM5751 working. It involves using a script that sets your MAC address once en0 is created. Works well.

I tried different kexts I found and I think one of them gave me the 00:00.... mac address but I cant find it anymore, the one I tried last night hangs my pc when booting so I need to get it back to the original kext.. the one is for pci14e4,1677 - which is already listed on the kexts. I will try yours tonight and get back with the results, thanks - once I get this fixed the mac should be perfect.

opfobo - Yes, its the background that shines through the top menu bar, I like it, I can see that some dont like it but I do :-), of course also depends on the wallpaper used I guess...

cman4ever

cman4ever

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great Job!

Got my Dell Dimesnion 5000 up and running now.
Are you working on a fix for the framebuffer.

Best Regards and thanks for this gorgeous method
cman

manzrachman

manzrachman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
great job!!!
this is what i am looking for!!

thanks for the info :)

downdowndown

downdowndown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Man, we have been waiting MONTHS and some even YEARS for this...

"yeah 900 GMA...not going to happen, get a better graphics card" and then you come and conjure up this piece of work.

Awesome job. Gonna try it out after ccc, andy4life, h2a's method. I wonder if it comes with no paperclip/external monitor support.

Again, nice job!

downdowndown

downdowndown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It works! But since I'm using speedstep, I don't know if it hinders the performance of videos and audio. With the other method (the not done right method), the videos seemed to be okay. Or it could be something else.

Which is one requires more resources? This method or andy4life, h2a's, ccc's etc. method?

kwafu

kwafu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Really good job! It works on my HP dx6120 (Intel GMA900 desktop) with leo4all 10.5.5. Since QE/CI are enabled, the graphics performance is significantly improved.

However, I have only used the ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext. It seems that AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is unnecessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy