Games Anyone?

Noved84

48 posts in this topic

Yeah I was just playing half life 2, and counterstrike source on my 20inch imac. The games were running at a steady 50-60fps with the occasional slow down to 30-40 fps when the action is all crazy. This is with all settings turned up to the highest quality, except for AA which i had turned off. The game was running at the screen's native widescreen resolution too.

This is really exciting.

HL2 is BLINDINGLY fast. native res, max detail. VERY nice. Lost Coast Stress test resulted in 50fps. BF2 demo was very fast, didnt have native res by default, im sure it can be hacked in. I just installed FEAR but didn't get a chance to run it yet.

More tomorrow. I love this thing.

Yeah I was just playing half life 2, and counterstrike source on my 20inch imac. The games were running at a steady 50-60fps with the occasional slow down to 30-40 fps when the action is all crazy. This is with all settings turned up to the highest quality, except for AA which i had turned off. The game was running at the screen's native widescreen resolution too.

This is really exciting.

I also have an iMac 20" and was wondering what the specs on your machine are?

I want to play games and am wondering what kind of performance I can expect?

Thanks

Oh almost forgot I have an 20" iMac 2GHz, 500Gb Hard Drive, 256MB Video Card and 2GB RAM

Reason for the large specs is I am a Graphic Designer. As a side note I am using my iMac for Design work and Photoshop isn't really that bad running through Rosetta.

I ran 'Halo: Combat Evolved' on my 17" iMac 1.83/512Mb/160Gb at 1440x900 with all sound and graphics on highest. Ran smooth as f**k amazing detail at 62fps.

It's what I'm using, and I'm still getting 50 to 60FPS in HL2 with settings completely maxed. The 1.83 is perfect, and even at a stock 512MB of RAM, a better preformer than the desktop listed in my sig. I rarely get below 50FPS in any game on the MBP with this configuration; it's nearly perfect.

I tried installing unreal tournament 2003 on both the imac and the mini and it is unplayable. It either crashes at launch or is so fast you cant play. I will try on the macbook pro and see what happens.

I couldn't get Unreal Tournament to run on my 17" iMac 1.83/512Mb, it refuses to load with a OpenGL error.

I need to find more games to try.

Yes, I've just tried. It works GREAT, only a little bit sluggish if you choose max resolution with max options, otherwise i.e. with a resolution of 1024x768 with 16:10, it goes very, very fast. I've been also playing multiplayer on internet and it works flawlessly.

iMac 17"

1,5 Gb Ram