No FireWire after 10.5.6 update

Subby

56 posts in this topic

Also updated this on another drive without dsdt and lost firwire too

So its def the 10.5.6 update clashing with the onboard VIA VT6308.

Just gotta find that kext!

i'm sure its a kext,

i did a full kext restore from 10.5.5 & firewire sound card loaded, but the windows server did not so i could see nothing :rolleyes:

restored the 10.5.6 kext's now, hoping to find a post from the user that finds the needed kext to restore :)

Subby

on my p5w dh motherboard, with EFIv9 and vanilla install, Firewire stopped working.

My extensions for boot in /Extra are: AppleDecrypt.kext, appleSMBIOS.kext, AppleSMBIOSEnabler.kext, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext.

If I add ApplePCIConfigurator.kext in /Extras, then firewire is recognized but the system becomes superslow and USB seems to revert to 1.1 (+ losing mouse & keyboard on some ports)

If that can help anyone figure out what's wrong with Firewire, that would be great!!!

@alnova1

I also have a PK5-VM and Im having the same problem. I also can't get time machine to work. Keep getting message"Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found." I have tried some of the fixes on the site but nothing so far.

I have a modified DSDT to fix Ethernet (P5k VM) it might work for you problem. I've no firewire but don't use anyway and am having sleep wake probs.

P5K_VM_DSDT__enet_fix_.zip

What did you do to create your modified DSDT? If my solution for ethernet ever stop working, I may try yours... It happened to me once, that I had ethernet with 10.5.6 but after a reboot, I lost it, that's when I tried to install DSDT with new HPET option.

I decide to restore back to 10.5.5 as it is more functional than 10.5.6, with the later I was having the firewire and the shutdown problem, until this be ironed I plan to stay with 10.5.5. My motherboard is an Asus p5k-vm.

I decide to restore back to 10.5.5 as it is more functional than 10.5.6, with the later I was having the firewire and the shutdown problem, until this be ironed I plan to stay with 10.5.5. My motherboard is an Asus p5k-vm.

I agree. I have the same motherboard as you and I went back to 10.5.5 as well. Everything is working perfect in it. I think it would be alright to be without 10.5.6 for awhile.

Same problem on my P5W-DH Deluxe. It cost me a day, since I followed an adivse from the Apple Board which suggested teh installation of the Combo Update rather than the client update. Did just that after I already had the other one installed (with firewirewire not working and USB2.0 working btw). Upon reboot the machine froze at loading AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext - why it had worked before (I followed all the Netkas suggestions regarding preparations before installing the update) but not a second time is beyond me.

Went back to 10.5.5 for now which has been working better than windows on this machine for months. I only wanted to try the update, because it said something about OpenGL fixes and I'm using lots of 3D on this machine (Maya, Modo).

I have a question: what is this /Extras folder everyone is talking about recently? An extra folder where you can put all the non-vanilla extentions? How can I create it?

AFIK 10.5.6 does not require a DSDT patch for the 10.5.6 AppleRTC.kext.......

I have done a clean system installation of Leopard 10.5.6 (without any DSDT patching required) on an External eSATA HDD (OS X volume partitioned as MBR) connected to my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i) + Intel Q6600 G0 3.0GHz CPU with subsequent manual installation of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for successful running of 6GB RAM with full CI/QE, USB 2.0, audio, networking (RTL8169 NIC), eSATA, and Firewire 400 (IEEE1394a) operation......the key requirement for success is that when installing the Voodoo 9.5.0 RV v1.0 kernel (required for AMD or SSE2 or non-vanilla MOBO systems, e.g. nForce chipset MOBOs) under 10.5.6 you MUST also install the 10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext.....see my blog entry..... :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT: BTW HPET is enabled in BIOS

• 3 weeks later...
... confirm fw detected and working on ASUS P5K-VM .... finally! :D:D:D:D:D:D

My firewire dont work also in 10.5.5 some hints ?

TY

Hello, some hints for working firewire ? All works good except for it.

My firewire dont work also in 10.5.5 some hints ?

TY

Hello, some hints for working firewire ? All works good except for it.

The best way to solve the firewire and shutdown problem seems to be, till now, replacing the 10.5.6 HPET.kext with the 10.5.5 one, that solve both problems. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Renaming AppleHPET.kext to AppleHPET.kext.orig and reboot solved the "missing FireWire" problem.

Now all external harddisk are shown in finder and System-Profiler

;)

(Board: Intel DG31PR, and a noname FireWire card with TI TSB12LV26 Chip)

Changing AppleHPET.kext from 10.5.6 with 10.5.5 will solve the problem with missing Firewire D-Link DFW-500.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 board, replacing the AppleHPET.kext with the 10.5.5 one (from a backup of my previous extensions) results in the computer not starting up. I have dsdt.aml at the root of the drive, the 10.5.6 HPET kext, and Disabler.kext, AppleDecrypt.kext, and OpenHaltRestart.kext in the /Extra folder. Am I missing something here (like the AppleSMBIOS kexts that go in the /Extra folder)?