Should Apple release OSX to generic PCs

Should Apple release OSX to generic PCs  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Now Boot Camp is released, why not release OSX to generic PCs

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care or doesn't apply

33 posts in this topic

Apple could partner with Intel and sell motherboards that come with a TPM and an EFI for system builders. I myself am waiting for the next Power Mac to be released simply because it will be that much easier to replace defunct or inferior hardware. Mac OS X could also be available for retail purchase - never OEM.

Apple doesn't want people running their software on generic PCs because they are still afraid of facing the similar fate of IBM, despite that fact that, unlike in 1984, when the hardware on the Apple Macintosh was vastly different from that of IBM's PC line, the Intel Macs have no special hardware exclusive to Apple whatsoever (unless you count the case). IBM made the fatal mistake of not patenting their hardware (except the BIOS), which eventually forced them to pull out of the consumer business. This experience is thrown into Jobs' face every day, and it would be much easier for a niche company like Apple to go under. Despite this, the greatness of the Macintosh OS is that it was designed to work with its exclusive hardware (unlike Windows, where the hardware revolves around the operating system). This elegance is lost when Mac OS is released for every PC, and, although possible and cheaper to build a PC with the optimal hardware, it isn't convenient for the consumer when so few configurations work with the OS. However, the motherboard, as the most critical component of the computer, and the component that often decides whether or not Mac OS will run, could be sold exclusively by Apple and Intel and even be bundled with a copy of Mac OS X to use. Apple would still have their OS work on superior hardware, they would still get money for their motherboards (in fact, I'd say that they would get more money because they don't have to deal with the expenses paid to the other hardware manufacturers), and there would be more flexibility for the average user.

Not to come off as an ass, but when was the last time an average user bought a motherboard and installed it?

That, and the guys who would actually want soemthing like that would be annoyed that they would essentially be strongarmed into an intel chip. We can build intel pcs that run OS X rather well. It's the amd ones we seem to have the most trouble with. And considering the amd following... It'd be rather hard to seel that motherboard at something resembling a decent profit.

Not to come off as an ass, but when was the last time an average user bought a motherboard and installed it?

Or upgraded their processor? Or upgraded the graphics card? Or have any PCI, PCI-E, etc, cards installed? This is why Apple makes most of their systems closed--not to {censored} people off, but because Apple knows a lot of users don't do any of that.

That, and the guys who would actually want soemthing like that would be annoyed that they would essentially be strongarmed into an intel chip. We can build intel pcs that run OS X rather well. It's the amd ones we seem to have the most trouble with. And considering the amd following... It'd be rather hard to seel that motherboard at something resembling a decent profit.

It would purely be for those who build computers; the average user could just buy Apple's pre-built models. This, and perhaps lower prices now that cheaper hardware is used, is what would ultimately keep consumers wanting Apple's current computer lineup.

As for Intel vs. AMD, it would have to be up to Apple to decide that.

This is why Apple makes most of their systems closed--not to {censored} people off, but because Apple knows a lot of users don't do any of that.

And that's the great Irony of Apple. Just think back to where it all started for a moment... My old Apple II hardly went a day without wires and proto-boards hanging out of it.

and they weren't really very user-friendly.

What wasn't friendly about tape drives and 6502 assembly? :)

My guess is that when the x86 version of the Power Mac is out, you'll be able to pick up an Apple MB, slap it in just about any case (may need a Dremel), and there you have it... a near home built Mac - Just like you did to build a PPC Mac on the cheap.

It would purely be for those who build computers; the average user could just buy Apple's pre-built models. This, and perhaps lower prices now that cheaper hardware is used, is what would ultimately keep consumers wanting Apple's current computer lineup.

As for Intel vs. AMD, it would have to be up to Apple to decide that.

Good point. I would have to say that I would be absolutely thrilled if apple produced both Intel and AMD boards for computer builders to use. I just don't think it's very likely. As per the comment by noony, apple hasn't really worried about "us" (The tinkering masses). I think we are more likely to see smaller companies approach apple and say, "Hey we'd like to build motherboards compatable with OS X what can we work out?". I can imagine companies such as MSI and ASUS etc seeing a decent amount of profit in producing/developing a fully mac compatable board or two. Though, I'm not sure how likely that is either, apple would have to agree to producing some generic drivers and those other companies would have to develop the specifc drivers. Which kinda brings us back to the original situation... Is apple willing to create an os with enough generic support in it, that someone like us could install it on any old pc? The work is not entirely that much and honestly they've done harder work before. It's just whether or not they'll do it, and if the smaller component companies will follow along.

Edit: I just thought of something. Currently, apple's boot camp burns the drivers windows will need in order for it to run correctly right? I happen to think that the culmination of this project, is essentially boot camp for windows. Where the drivers we need would be burned/patched into the OS X installation disk so we can do the exact same thing. Think of the possibillities. The most efficient manner of installing OS X on a pc is "reverse" bootcamp. Apple themselves could write the program and sell it seperate from OS X. Boom, another software profit for apple. Perhaps they could call it basic training.