Trendnet USB Wifi Driver?

mechdrew

26 posts in this topic

I have a Trendnet TEW-424UB V2 USB Wifi dongle that I would like to use for 10.4.5, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried searching for the chipset but came up with nothing so I have no idea if it is compatible with any of the Broadcom and such drivers. Anybody have an idea if there is some way to get it to work?

I would use wired ethernet, but it's a VIA Rhine II, so no luck, and no open PCI slots, they're full, so no ethernet card. And as a note I can't buy any new hardware.

I was able to find out some more information about my adapter. It's a SIS chipset, 163u. I have searched for this but have come up dry, not even anything saying it doesn't work. Anyone have any experience with this?

Okay, this may sound weird (it does to me) but according to a Pricegraaber user review the chipset is actually a ZyDas ZD1211, not the SiS chipset. If so, then this post claims to have a driver for it. I'll try it out and see if it works, I'll update later this evening.

Edit: I knew I should have read every single post. :angry: Turns out that it's still just a PPC driver. Of course I only read this after tinkering with it for about an hour.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I've tried to install TRENDnet TEW-444UB on my OS10.4 with these http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

no success yet. a friend of mine told me he managed to run DLINK's with them. does anyone know if there are other drivers available for the further experimentation?

the TEW-444 is an atheros chip (atheros are supported on miniPCI and PCI cards), i think, since it's 108mbps. any luck with it? considering buying one.

• 2 weeks later...

The newer version of the Trendnet TEW-424UB uses the SIS163U Chipset..... I personally have found nothing for this or my Linksys WMP11.... Please help! :P In "About this Mac" My Linksys card doesn't even show up.... what chipset is it ?

• 7 months later...

Anyone tried this driver ?

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Drivers/Zydas...SB-driver.shtml

It claims that

This is a driver for the USB WLAN-Sticks, that based on ZydasZD1211(;)Chipset.

Models:

· 3COM 3CRUSB10075

· AOpen 802.11g WL54

· iNexQ UR055g

· Sitecom WL-113

· Telegent TG54USB

· TwinMOS G240

· Yakumo QuickWLAN

· Airlink+ AWLL3025

· Zyxel ZyAIR G-220

· X-Micro XWL-11GUZX

· Edimax EW-7317UG

· Safecom SWLU-5400

· Longshine LCS-8131G

· Planet WL-U356

· Sweex wireless 54MB

· Acer WLAN-G-US1

· Trendnet TEW-424UB

· DrayTek Vigor 550

· Asus WL-159g

· Fiberline WL-410u.

Requirements:

· Mac (Intel or PowerPC) with USB and Mac OS X 10.3 or later.

· xcompatible USB-WLAN-Stick

· 3COM 3CRUSB10075

· AOpen 802.11g WL54

· iNexQ UR055g

· Sitecom WL-113

· Telegent TG54USB

· TwinMOS G240

· Yakumo QuickWLAN

· Airlink+ AWLL3025

· Zyxel ZyAIR G-220

· X-Micro XWL-11GUZX

· Edimax EW-7317UG

· Safecom SWLU-5400

· Longshine LCS-8131G

· Planet WL-U356

· Sweex wireless 54MB

· Acer WLAN-G-US1

· Trendnet TEW-424UB

· DrayTek Vigor 550

· Asus WL-159g

· Fiberline WL-410u).

Anyone tried this driver ?

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Drivers/Zydas...SB-driver.shtml

It claims that

This is a driver for the USB WLAN-Sticks, that based on ZydasZD1211( :DChipset.

Models:

· 3COM 3CRUSB10075

· AOpen 802.11g WL54

· iNexQ UR055g

· Sitecom WL-113

· Telegent TG54USB

· TwinMOS G240

· Yakumo QuickWLAN

· Airlink+ AWLL3025

· Zyxel ZyAIR G-220

· X-Micro XWL-11GUZX

· Edimax EW-7317UG

· Safecom SWLU-5400

· Longshine LCS-8131G

· Planet WL-U356

· Sweex wireless 54MB

· Acer WLAN-G-US1

· Trendnet TEW-424UB

· DrayTek Vigor 550

· Asus WL-159g

· Fiberline WL-410u.

Requirements:

· Mac (Intel or PowerPC) with USB and Mac OS X 10.3 or later.

· xcompatible USB-WLAN-Stick

· 3COM 3CRUSB10075

· AOpen 802.11g WL54

· iNexQ UR055g

· Sitecom WL-113

· Telegent TG54USB

· TwinMOS G240

· Yakumo QuickWLAN

· Airlink+ AWLL3025

· Zyxel ZyAIR G-220

· X-Micro XWL-11GUZX

· Edimax EW-7317UG

· Safecom SWLU-5400

· Longshine LCS-8131G

· Planet WL-U356

· Sweex wireless 54MB

· Acer WLAN-G-US1

· Trendnet TEW-424UB

· DrayTek Vigor 550

· Asus WL-159g

· Fiberline WL-410u).

I tried this, the device id was already present for in kext, but it did not work after installation.

when I checked the device ID in System Profiler It was different then what was specified on this web site so I added that too. But still no luck.

On the same lines I was trying to get my AR5007EG working, but I don't see that device in System Profiler, does it mean OSX could not detect the hardware? is there anything I can do to detect it? I'm only 5 days old in OSX so please pardon my ignorance.

• 1 month later...

Well just download the zydas driver, there are several links on the WIKI page.

Once they are installed run System Preferences go to Network preferecepane and it should appear a new ethernet device, apply changes an run the WLan app, there you can search wireless networks and join one of them.

• 1 month later...
Well just download the zydas driver, there are several links on the WIKI page.

Once they are installed run System Preferences go to Network preferecepane and it should appear a new ethernet device, apply changes an run the WLan app, there you can search wireless networks and join one of them.

I have the 3COM 3CRUSB10075 dongle, which is based on the ZydasZD1211 chipset.

I get a green light in the network preferences, I get connected to my network in the Wlan app, but still no internet...

When I check my router, the 3com doesn´t show up there... even though the Wlan app says it´s connected and with a good connection(94%)...

Any suggestions? I feel I´m very close to getting this to work now...

• 3 months later...

I did some digging around and found that my Trendnet TEW-424UB 3.0R is actually a Realtek 8187B. I installed the Realtek driver 1117b from their website, restarted, and ran the Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility and it found my Trendnet right away. Joined my WAP encrypted router and voila; internet! Yay! I am running 10.5.4 installed with Aitkos v4.0i on a Dell Latitude D620. I can confirm that it works for internet access. Haven't had a chance to see how it handles connecting to network resources yet...

Guest BuildSmart

The biggest issue I see with this thread is that people aren't even sure what chipset their device has.

For the most part this can be figured out by looking at the driver files that are on the CD, the information is usually contained in a ".inf" file.

From my own research, I have confirmed that the TrendNET TEW-424UB/A H/W:3.0R and TEW-424UB/A H/W:3.1R are RTL8187B based so the generic RealTek USB driver will work with the device (might require modification of the Info.plist to match the device) and the Client Utility should work with just about any device that uses the driver.

Strangely enough I can buy a 3.1 version of this device that was provided to a large local company in white-boxes and it comes with Mac OS X 10.4/10.5 drivers included on the CD (it's not a generic CD-R but a printed on CD) but all of the retail version I've examined (green box) don't come with the Mac OS X drivers so if I had to buy one I'd be looking for one that comes with the Mac OS X driver.

how about trendnet TEW429UB (C2.0R)....?? in System Profiler its said this USB wireless using ZyDas chipset.... but when i install ZyDas driver, it still cannot work... do i need to modified something...??

Guest BuildSmart
how about trendnet TEW429UB (C2.0R)....?? in System Profiler its said this USB wireless using ZyDas chipset.... but when i install ZyDas driver, it still cannot work... do i need to modified something...??

You need to add your device ID's to the ZyDas driver.