ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

ALC889aALC898 ALC887(H87M-HD3) ALC662(945GCM-S2L)

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

hehol

hehol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everybody,

I upgraded my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (ALC889A audio) from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 using the Kakewalk installer. Sound is basically working fine after the upgrade, but the audio output is being reset to "headphones" (from "internal speakers") on boot. To be able to hear sound from the speakers, I have to change the audio output in system preferences each time I start up the machine.

Is this a known problem? How can I preset the default output to "internal speakers"?

Cheers,
hehol

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Hello everybody,

I upgraded my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (ALC889A audio) from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 using the Kakewalk installer. Sound is basically working fine after the upgrade, but the audio output is being reset to "headphones" (from "internal speakers") on boot. To be able to hear sound from the speakers, I have to change the audio output in system preferences each time I start up the machine.

Is this a known problem? How can I preset the default output to "internal speakers"?

Cheers,
hehol

Does your front audio support HDA/AZAL? If yes, please use the one named 3outs2ins HDA headphone.

It's weird that you got every time you started up your system.

WinstonAce

WinstonAce

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Does anyone know the difference between alc889 and alc889a?
why does alc889 doesn't work with version 1.8.4fc3 of applehda?
they share the same deviceid and the same vendor
so what is making the difference between them?

InToGraphics

InToGraphics

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Type this into Google : alc889a vs alc885
And you'l find out that they are one and the same. I believe GigaByte just renamed the ALC885 into ALC889a. You'll find lots of threads from this forum at the top of the serach results. There are also better qualified people here (other than me) to tell you the minimal differences (if any) between the two.

EDIT: So what I'm saying is that you should compare the ALC889 to the ALC885.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Does anyone know the difference between alc889 and alc889a?
why does alc889 doesn't work with version 1.8.4fc3 of applehda?
they share the same deviceid and the same vendor
so what is making the difference between them?

Did you try to patch AppleHDA bin and edit info.plist of AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext and AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext instead of using legacy/dummy kext?

I had to patch bin and edit info.plists for my ALC662 (945GCM-S2L).

WinstonAce

WinstonAce

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I can make it work by patching/replacing with kext from 10.6.2
but the question is how the system defer between the cards (as they share the same deviceid)
and can we overcome it

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
This is my EP45-UD3R.
Posted Image

humph

humph

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ALC887 (888B) issues in 10.6.3, even with BinHack, but all OK with 10.6.2)

Hi Tmongkol,

Wonder if you can suggest any new lines for experiment on this problem...

I have analogue and SPDIF basically 100% OK in 10.6.3, using 10.6.2 AppleHDA. Success
- Either via LegacyHDA+HDAEnabler (and basically nothing other than basic HDEF in DSDT), or
- When using a "rebuilt" AppleHDA (10.6.2) in /S/L/E.

Paths, Layout and verbs seem OK to my limited knowledge, and I do not have any sound assertion errors*

When I try to build the relevant info into the 10.6.3 AppleHDA .plists, inc Hexedit 8708EC10, I do not get any analogue audio. Note that digital SPDIF (from ALC codec)* is however working no problems, in and out.
(Use HDAEnabler in /E/E or /S/L/E, also tried some variants of DSDT HDEF).

MB is GA P55M-UD2

*Well, I always get a GFX-EFI error as have ATI4870. Also like your comments in your post can't get HDMI working on that...(CodecID 1002,AA01)..but that's not bothering me half as much as no analog on 10.6.3 from the ALC887.

Thank you.

hehol

hehol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Does your front audio support HDA/AZAL? If yes, please use the one named 3outs2ins HDA headphone.

That solves the problem. Thanks for your help!

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

ALC887 (888B) issues in 10.6.3, even with BinHack, but all OK with 10.6.2)

Hi Tmongkol,

Wonder if you can suggest any new lines for experiment on this problem...

I have analogue and SPDIF basically 100% OK in 10.6.3, using 10.6.2 AppleHDA. Success
- Either via LegacyHDA+HDAEnabler (and basically nothing other than basic HDEF in DSDT), or
- When using a "rebuilt" AppleHDA (10.6.2) in /S/L/E.

Paths, Layout and verbs seem OK to my limited knowledge, and I do not have any sound assertion errors*

When I try to build the relevant info into the 10.6.3 AppleHDA .plists, inc Hexedit 8708EC10, I do not get any analogue audio. Note that digital SPDIF (from ALC codec)* is however working no problems, in and out.
(Use HDAEnabler in /E/E or /S/L/E, also tried some variants of DSDT HDEF).

MB is GA P55M-UD2

*Well, I always get a GFX-EFI error as have ATI4870. Also like your comments in your post can't get HDMI working on that...(CodecID 1002,AA01)..but that's not bothering me half as much as no analog on 10.6.3 from the ALC887.

Thank you.

Now, i5/i7 (1156) users got problem with AppleHDA.kext v1.8.4fc3 again. :( Is it "Bridge" issue? I've read many posts and I think there is no issues to ICH9/R & ICH10/R South bridge and AppleHDA.kext (for Gigabyte users). Previously most i5/i7 (1156) Gigabyte users needed to update bios for being able to use AppleHDA.kext v1.7.9 (10.6.3), now they got problem with the latest one. Is it possible to downgrade bios? I have no idea how I can help you.

adding this to DSDT for eliminating GFX-EFI errors and enabler HDMI audio if available. I use these lines for my HD4870 so that I can get Sleep working properly by DSDT fix.
Device (PEGP)            {                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)                Device (GFX0)                {                    Name (_ADR, Zero)                    Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)                    {                        0x09,                         0x05                    })                    OperationRegion (PEGH, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x40)                    Field (PEGH, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)                    {                        VID0,   16,                         DID0,   16                    }                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)                    {                        If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)                                {                                    /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,                                     /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B                                }))                        {                            If (LNotEqual (And (VID0, 0xFFFF), 0xFFFF))                            {                                Store (Package (0x02)                                    {                                        "hda-gfx",                                         Buffer (0x0A)                                        {                                            "onboard-1"                                        }                                    }, Local0)                                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))                                Return (Local0)                            }                        }                        Return (0x80000002)                    }                }                Device (HDAU)                {                    Name (_ADR, One)                    OperationRegion (HDAH, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x40)                    Field (HDAH, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)                    {                        VID0,   16,                         DID0,   16                    }                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)                    {                        If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)                                {                                    /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,                                     /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B                                }))                        {                            If (LNotEqual (And (VID0, 0xFFFF), 0xFFFF))                            {                                Store (Package (0x02)                                    {                                        "hda-gfx",                                         Buffer (0x0A)                                        {                                            "onboard-1"                                        }                                    }, Local0)                                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))                                Return (Local0)                            }                        }                        Return (0x80000002)                    }                }            }

and
Device (HDEF)            {                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)                OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x60)                Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)                {                    VID0,   16,                     DID0,   16,                             Offset (0x4C),                     DCKA,   1,                             Offset (0x4D),                     DCKM,   1,                         ,   6,                     DCKS,   1,                             Offset (0x54),                         ,   15,                     PMES,   1                }                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)                {                    Return (Package (0x02)                    {                        0x0D,                         0x05                    })                }                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)                {                    Store (Package (0x06)                        {                            "layout-id",                             Buffer (0x04)                            {                                0x0c, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                            },                             "device-type",                             Buffer (0x06)                            {                                "Audio"                            },                             "PinConfigurations",                             Buffer (Zero)                            {}                        }, Local0)                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))                    Return (Local0)                }            }

humph

humph

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thank You for the fast reply!

adding this to DSDT for eliminating GFX-EFI errors and enabler HDMI audio if available. I use these lines for my HD4870 so that I can get Sleep working properly by DSDT fix.

Thanks.
EDIT: OK, so yes the _ADR for my PEGP/GFX was incorrect. Changed to 0x00030000 and now EFI-GFX sound assertion error has gone. (command "gfxutil-f display" will show the PCI bus address information). Not tested if this helps HDMI out yet (need a new cable). Analog audio still not working and no impact so far on inactivity sleep.
Did not work here yet, still get the EFI-GFX error.
Suspect perhaps I should be modifying the addresses for PCI_Config or something, not just blindly copying yours; but have no idea where to find out what they would be for my MB and card (XFX 1GB).

Or..perhaps the bridge..when you have _ADR (0x00010000), is that supposed to be the PCI Bridge address?
For me here lspci=
00:03.0 PCI Bridge....(so I guess I'll try _ADR (0x00030000) tomorrow..!)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller
(HDEF _ADR is of course the same & OK, 1B).
Never did really understand that aspect of ACPI, despite reading the specs and chipset documents!

Now, i5/i7 (1156) users got problem with AppleHDA.kext v1.8.4fc3 again. ;) Is it "Bridge" issue? I've read many posts and I think there is no issues to ICH9/R & ICH10/R South bridge and AppleHDA.kext (for Gigabyte users). Previously most i5/i7 (1156) Gigabyte users needed to update bios for being able to use AppleHDA.kext v1.7.9 (10.6.3), now they got problem with the latest one. Is it possible to downgrade bios? I have no idea how I can help you.

Could be. If above mentioned issues are not the problem, I'll try out a few versions of the BIOS, just in case; and hope for fix in the soon to be F9.

I think in general Gigabyte users for 1156 socket are OK with 888/889a/885 on other boards (UD3/4/5 etc) as I see people posting hacked 1.8.4HDAs that work for them.

P.S. Sleep & wake was working basically OK before, except inactivity timer sleep.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts
Hi tmongkol

Apologies for not reading this thread too often, but I was just reading your front page for ALC888 audio and have seen your AppleHDA_1.8.4fc3_ALC888_LayoutID_888.zip for 10.6.3. Thanks for this and as you said, I no longer need LegacyHDA.kext in E/E.

Regards
blackosx

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Hi tmongkol

Apologies for not reading this thread too often, but I was just reading your front page for ALC888 audio and have seen your AppleHDA_1.8.4fc3_ALC888_LayoutID_888.zip for 10.6.3. Thanks for this and as you said, I no longer need LegacyHDA.kext in E/E.

Regards
blackosx

Please, don't worry about that. You are the most active person, helping a lot of people and making good guides, that I've ever seen.

tmongkol

mrsentraser

mrsentraser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I've been struggling to get audio to work on my 10.6.0 Snow Leopard install. All my other hardware seems fine. My system is a GA P35-DS3R w/ Core2Duo and 2Gb DDR2 and Nvidia 8800GT Graphics. I've got everything working but the sound. I've been trying to figure out this post, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Is there a simple step-by-step guide to get digital audio working on the onboard ALC889A?

smartmobili

smartmobili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

I've been struggling to get audio to work on my 10.6.0 Snow Leopard install. All my other hardware seems fine. My system is a GA P35-DS3R w/ Core2Duo and 2Gb DDR2 and Nvidia 8800GT Graphics. I've got everything working but the sound. I've been trying to figure out this post, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Is there a simple step-by-step guide to get digital audio working on the onboard ALC889A?

Hey I have the same problem ...
I have installed SL 10.6.3 on a GA-EP35-DS3R (ALC889a) and now after reading all the tutorial I am a bit confused.
For now I have patched my dsdt as shown below :

Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
				OperationRegion (HDCS, PCI_Config, 0x54, 0x04)
				Field (HDCS, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
						,   15, 
					PMES,   1
				}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D, 
						0x06
					})
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x08)
						{
							"codec-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
							}, 

"layout-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"device-type", 
							Buffer (0x10)
							{
								"Realtek ALC889a"
							}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
							Buffer (0x01)
							{
								0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

But still no sound. What did I forget ?

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Get ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip

Install LegacyHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext into /Extra/Extensions and restart.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Hey I have the same problem ...
I have installed SL 10.6.3 on a GA-EP35-DS3R (ALC889a) and now after reading all the tutorial I am a bit confused.
For now I have patched my dsdt as shown below :

Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
				OperationRegion (HDCS, PCI_Config, 0x54, 0x04)
				Field (HDCS, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
						,   15, 
					PMES,   1
				}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D, 
						0x06
					})
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x08)
						{
							"codec-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
							}, 

"layout-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"device-type", 
							Buffer (0x10)
							{
								"Realtek ALC889a"
							}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
							Buffer (0x01)
							{
								0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

But still no sound. What did I forget ?

You are using vanilla AppleHDA.kext, LayoutID = 66 so you don't need to have LegacyHDA.kext. However, you may get a few sound assertions.
Got rear green port and headphone for analog output.

smartmobili

smartmobili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

You are using vanilla AppleHDA.kext, LayoutID = 66 so you don't need to have LegacyHDA.kext. However, you may get a few sound assertions.
Got rear green port and headphone for analog output.

Thanks now it works however I had to put LegacyHDA.kext...

Mammoth

Mammoth

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hi, I am really hoping someone can help me. I have been trying to get this to work for at least a week, trying on my own, and I'm ready to jump out a window (but I'm on the 1st floor so that won't even work!)

I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R which is working fine, thanks to all the great people here. ; ) Recently I bought a GA-P55A-UD4P (which has the ALC889, not the ALC889A), and I just can't get it to work other than with VoodooHDA. :blush:

I have been trying to use the "HowTo_patch_AppleHDA" guide, but am not sure exactly what I'm supposed to change. I know I have correctly patched AppleHDA.kext, v1.8.4fc3 (I'm running 10.6.3) in the 4 areas with 89 08 EC 10, so at least I have that.

Also I have successfully set permissions and updated caches by cutting and pasting the commands from the guide and executing them.

Where I am getting confused is with:

1) What are "legacy/dummy kexts" and where do I get them, how do I know if I have one(s) that will work for my ALC889?

2) Once I have these "files", what "code" must I extract from them? Is it just simply changing the LayoutID from say 662 to 889, or is there more to it? Or when it says "Item #" in the guide, does that mean the entire "branch" of "Item x" (including all child branches)? If so, then again it becomes a question of "Where can I find a VALID source containing all of these entries correct for the ALC889?

Very sorry for being such a N00B, I know there are others who understand this guide and it's easy for them; but not for me.

If I can get this working, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to share my corrected files with others! :wacko:

If it helps, here are the errors I get on boot:

Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 3226 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1666 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1666 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

THANK YOU!! :blink:

Mammoth

Mammoth

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Hi, I am really hoping someone can help me. I have been trying to get this to work for at least a week, trying on my own, and I'm ready to jump out a window (but I'm on the 1st floor so that won't even work!)

I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R which is working fine, thanks to all the great people here. ; ) Recently I bought a GA-P55A-UD4P (which has the ALC889, not the ALC889A), and I just can't get it to work other than with VoodooHDA. :blink:

I have been trying to use the "HowTo_patch_AppleHDA" guide, but am not sure exactly what I'm supposed to change. I know I have correctly patched AppleHDA.kext, v1.8.4fc3 (I'm running 10.6.3) in the 4 areas with 89 08 EC 10, so at least I have that.

Also I have successfully set permissions and updated caches by cutting and pasting the commands from the guide and executing them.

Where I am getting confused is with:

1) What are "legacy/dummy kexts" and where do I get them, how do I know if I have one(s) that will work for my ALC889?

2) Once I have these "files", what "code" must I extract from them? Is it just simply changing the LayoutID from say 662 to 889, or is there more to it? Or when it says "Item #" in the guide, does that mean the entire "branch" of "Item x" (including all child branches)? If so, then again it becomes a question of "Where can I find a VALID source containing all of these entries correct for the ALC889?

Very sorry for being such a N00B, I know there are others who understand this guide and it's easy for them; but not for me.

If I can get this working, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to share my corrected files with others! :)

If it helps, here are the errors I get on boot:

Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 3226 goto Exit

THANK YOU!! :angel:

Just an update - Ok, I'm looking at the info from an old "The Kings" post; I have got my PinConfig info using Win7 and working through that info. I will post if I have any progress, but still, any help would be great.

Thanks all,

Mammoth

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy