ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i'm new to hakintosh stuff, i made ex58-ud5, i7 920, 6Gb, GTS250 working with no problems so far (almost a year),

yet I can't make my microphone work (headphones work ok).

In "about this mac" I have Audio (Built In): Speaker, Line Outut (x3), Internal Mic, External Mic, Line Input, Headphone, S/PDIF Optional Digital Audio Output and Input.

I have the following kexts installed (among others):

HDAEnabler

LegacyHDA

Running on 10.6.5 now.

I know the answer is somewhere here, but i'm a little bit puzzled by the first message in this thread.

It seems i'm missing AppleHDA.kext ? Where do I install it? What is the easiest way to make my mic-in working?

According to Everest, I have ALC889A.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Denis.

Hi everyone,

i'm new to hakintosh stuff, i made ex58-ud5, i7 920, 6Gb, GTS250 working with no problems so far (almost a year),

yet I can't make my microphone work (headphones work ok).

In "about this mac" I have Audio (Built In): Speaker, Line Outut (x3), Internal Mic, External Mic, Line Input, Headphone, S/PDIF Optional Digital Audio Output and Input. <--- cosmetic and preventing some sound assertions in kernel.log

I have the following kexts installed (among others):

HDAEnabler

LegacyHDA

Running on 10.6.5 now.

I know the answer is somewhere here, but i'm a little bit puzzled by the first message in this thread.

It seems i'm missing AppleHDA.kext ? Where do I install it? What is the easiest way to make my mic-in working?

According to Everest, I have ALC889A.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Denis.

If you're using current version, you still can use rear mic although it's inconvenient.

Front mic is not available due to some technical software (and I have no idea). If you want a front mic, you should get older version of 10.5 and run system at 32bit.

or

get Creative USB if available.

I tried rear mic and it does not work.

SystemPreferene->Sound->Input->LineIn

just does not show anything...

And I don't have "External Mic" option, only "Internal microphone-built in"

If you're using current version, you still can use rear mic although it's inconvenient.

Front mic is not available due to some technical software (and I have no idea). If you want a front mic, you should get older version of 10.5 and run system at 32bit.

or

get Creative USB if available.

I tried rear mic and it does not work.

SystemPreferene->Sound->Input->LineIn

just does not show anything...

And I don't have "External Mic" option, only "Internal microphone-built in"

Did you try connect rear pink port and select Internal Microphone?

Hey Erigz thanks for reply asap. ok i have patch my applehda *crashed in middle of ALC inject "verbose log"* so i use legacy hda with stock Applehda (taken from 10.6.4 / 10.6.3) but none of them works... (apple 889A, with 885 layout)

got it working using Azalia kext but only stereo output.. no input.

I have the same problem. After hours of trying, I finally used the Azalia kext and it's great (output anyways).

Is there any workaround?

Thank you very much for the advise. I does work now.

I guess I did not choose Int.Mic before and thus it didn't work.

p/s/ for those who use skype, don't forget to shose Int.Mic input in it's settings as well, otherwise

mic does not work.

Did you try connect rear pink port and select Internal Microphone?

• 2 months later...

Hi, hope some1 can help me. I have G31M-ES2L Rev2.4, Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Express. I use myHack1.1 and Chameleon-2RC5-b699. Install from snow leopard 10.6.3 retail dvd then updated to 10.6.7. Everything works except onboard audio. The audio show in the setting as "Digital Out". I can adjust the volume but no sound when playing music or anything. This is how it happened: Before installing the 8400GS, the sound work with voodooHDA 0.2.1 and it show as Line Out in the setting. However when i install a GeForce 8400GS card and editing the NVDANV50Hal.kext Info.plists to "0x10c310de", use pfix and reboot. I lost sound but graphic work great.

Maybe the audio is conflict with the graphic card? if so what do i need to remove or edit for sound to work.

Please help me. I saw in the first post on my motherboard but not sure which to download to fix my audio. Do i download "Gigabyte_ALC883.zip" in order to have sound? Please help.

Big thx tmongkol my ALC888 on GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 finally working. Using your DSDT.aml fix from #498 Post and patched ApplHDA.kext from first post. 10.6.5 Hackintosh :( I'm happy.

I finally got Audio working on my board as well but my Pin Configurations in DSDT does not appear to be fully working (only getting 2.1 audio instead of 4.1). Would you be willing to share your Pin Configurations? I have the GA-965P-S3 v3.3 board using ALC888.

your kext is incomplete i just looked at one on mac book pro 8.2 there are xml files in Resources folder like in lion. U must edit platform.xml and layout(yourlayoutid).xml (like layout885)xml.

The guys at applelife.ru already have some modified kexts

See here exemple http://cl.ly/0V180z0j193Z2t3h2h0j (credits go to Xmedik and others at applelife.ru)

your kext is incomplete i just looked at one on mac book pro 8.2 there are xml files in Resources folder like in lion. U must edit platform.xml and layout(yourlayoutid).xml (like layout885)xml.

The guys at applelife.ru already have some modified kexts

See here exemple http://cl.ly/0V180z0j193Z2t3h2h0j (credits go to Xmedik and others at applelife.ru)

Thanks, iLeopard!

You're right, my kext is incomplete, I extract it from mbp2011 update pkg directly, which is not a combo update pkg.

Oddly, display turned white when connect to my Sony tv and LCD display both with new applehda kept, need further research!

But I got dual display and hdmi Audio under lion, which has a close folder structure of applehda to the one from mbp2011 update.

my god guys please help me!

im trying to get 5.1 enabled on my p35-s3 motherboard

it has a 889a sound chip

im running 10.6.7 in 32bit mode

ive tried many guides but keep getting stuck

has anyone actually got this to work?

thanks

Natasha

my god guys please help me!

im trying to get 5.1 enabled on my p35-s3 motherboard

it has a 889a sound chip

im running 10.6.7 in 32bit mode

ive tried many guides but keep getting stuck

has anyone actually got this to work?

thanks

Natasha

I have known only VLC application supports 5.1 and I need to use "Audio MIDI Setup" to set Aggregate device. The link of "how to use Audio MIDI Setup" is on the first post.

cheers for your reply.

Ive only got 1 line out in my midi settings that is my problem.

I need to plug in the front,rear and center but its only working on 1.

ive tried using dsdt with hdef, 889a layout kext with 3 outs

i either get kernal panics or it doesnt work.

Have you got it working and how?

cheers for your reply.

Ive only got 1 line out in my midi settings that is my problem.

I need to plug in the front,rear and center but its only working on 1.

ive tried using dsdt with hdef, 889a layout kext with 3 outs

i either get kernal panics or it doesnt work.

Have you got it working and how?

try to get into single mode, press F8 and type -s

mount the snow partiiton, following last two lines of /bin/??? (I forgot them.)

type

rm -f /Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audi* and Enter

then restart

For getting KP, you should post a picture of KP so someone can help you.

So does 889a work with 10.6.7 or not? I have GA-EG45M-U2DH which uses 889a, but can not get audio to work after combo update (clean retail install, then audio works fine). I have DSDT patched like:

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}, 
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 
						"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 
						"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889a"
						}, 
						"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

I tried all kext from 1st post for 889a, and also ALC8xxHDA.kext, but none work after 10.6.7 combo udpate. I even tried using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, but still no good. Audio shows as device 885 in Profiler, but sound prefs show no ouput devices.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!! :P

So does 889a work with 10.6.7 or not? I have GA-EG45M-U2DH which uses 889a, but can not get audio to work after combo update (clean retail install, then audio works fine). I have DSDT patched like:

I tried all kext from 1st post for 889a, and also ALC8xxHDA.kext, but none work after 10.6.7 combo udpate. I even tried using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, but still no good. Audio shows as device 885 in Profiler, but sound prefs show no ouput devices.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!! :P

I have no problem with ALC889a after updating 10.6.7 combo. I have no idea how you got problem.

Tmongkol, thanx a lot for the Lion-version of ALC889A !

Confirmed working, just a question - the names in the "Output" and "Input" tabs

of the "Sound" preferences are in another languages - czech/slovak or smth similar :)

F.e, under the name-section we have "interny reproduktory", "Linkovy vystup",

for which under the type-section the english names correspond "built in" and "audio line out port"

This is no problem for me, just to give some feedback

and that you know about it :D

Thank you for the great work (that you again do !) !

audioprefs.th.png

P.S. Hm, I thought it could be a permissions-problem, deleted all caches,

including the audio-ones, repaired permissions and rebooted,

but after that the audio menus are still in a foreign (to me) language :)

Tmongkol, thanx a lot for the Lion-version of ALC889A !

Confirmed working, just a question - the names in the "Output" and "Input" tabs

of the "Sound" preferences are in another languages - czech/slovak or smth similar :)

F.e, under the name-section we have "interny reproduktory", "Linkovy vystup",

for which under the type-section the english names correspond "built in" and "audio line out port"

This is no problem for me, just to give some feedback

and that you know about it :(

Thank you for the great work (that you again do !) !

P.S. Hm, I thought it could be a permissions-problem, deleted all caches,

including the audio-ones, repaired permissions and rebooted,

but after that the audio menus are still in a foreign (to me) language :)

Do you have English.lproj in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/ ? I have no clue about this.

Hi Tmongkol,

First, thanks for this thread, didn't know about it but provides a lot of info/kexts to help people further.

I'm running my Snow Leopard on GA-EX58-UD5 happily for some time now and have recently begun experimenting with Lion.

I have tried using your method, but have run into one problem and a question :):

Problem:

I tried installing platform/alc885.xml and the kext you provided, but it just won't work with my system :). If I boot with my modified DSDT (which does contain an audio fix -> from AZAL to HDEF) I only get 3 outputs (line out/digital out/headphones), when I boot with a normal DSDT (nothing modified), I get no sound output. I even tried booting without DSDT, but also without succes (no sound outputs)... Lion is installed on a seperate drive, although I have other drives in my computer which run Snow Leopard (and have a modified DSDT for sound).

No voodoohda/legacyhda/... is installed. Do you have any idea why it would not work?

Question:

On my Snow Leopard, I use a modified DSDT together with LegacyHDA.kext (DSDT provided by dood's instructions and LegacyHDA provided by x.di in the same thread). When running Lion, I noticed that this wasn't working anymore (probably has to do with LegacyHDA.kext, which needs to be updated for Lion support). It would be nice to see this legacyHDA.kext updated for Lion support so that AppleHDA can remain untouched and we just need to install this kext and modify our DSDT.

I will provide my DSDT and the LegacyHDA kext in this post. Maybe you can take a look at it? I'm not really an expert in these kind of things, that's why I've come to ask for your help.

Thanks in advance ;)

Windows04

DSDT_Windows04.aml.zip

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

@ Windows04

You need to change your Device (HDEF) as following;

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x06
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id",
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                           0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00   // this is 885.
                           },

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

You cannot use vanilla AppleHDA.kext if you update to 10.6.8 (or newer). You also need to add layout###.xml and to modify Platforms.xml to match you ALC###.

@ Windows04

You need to change your Device (HDEF) as following;

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x06
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id",
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                           0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00   // this is 885.
                           },

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

You cannot use vanilla AppleHDA.kext if you update to 10.6.8 (or newer). You also need to add layout###.xml and to modify Platforms.xml to match you ALC###.

Euh... wait I can't follow you :blink::

I have a ga-ex58-ud5 with an alc889a codec, so why do I need to insert an 885 layout in my DSDT? Can't follow you here...

And how do I change layout###.xml/Platforms.xml to match my alc889a codec? Do I just need to change PathMapId/LayoutID in layout###.xml/platforms.xml to 889A?

Sorry for my (maybe "noob") questions, but don't have a lot of experience here with audio setup...