ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Yes exactly that one.

If i did not patch the binary i've that error:

Sound assertion ""hda-gfx property indicates support expected but vendor & product ID are not known to driver!\\n"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 661 goto handler

Sound assertion ""hda-gfx property indicates support expected but vendor & product ID are not known to driver!\\n"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 661 goto handler

While looking at the code near the error message i've found that there is a hardcoded table ok some NVIDIA id in the binary:

10de:ac0 10de:d94 10de:be2 10de:be4

what is your id for the GT2x0 audio ? mine is (03:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0be5 (rev a1))

so i've patched the binary with the nearest one eb4 and the error have dissapeared.

I've not tried to add to Info.plist in HDAController, i've not found what to do here and in which section ?

Thanks for your time!

IT WORKS! :)

But only on connector 1, on my GTX480 there is 3 connector DVI, DVI mini-HDMI.

If connected to the first DVI (main) the sound works but is distorted (i've the same problem with my ALC889a (disabled at the moment)...

If i move the mouse during playback sound is smoother, is there some solution for that problem ?

While looking at the code near the error message i've found that there is a hardcoded table ok some NVIDIA id in the binary:

10de:ac0 10de:d94 10de:be2 10de:be4

what is your id for the GT2x0 audio ? mine is (03:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0be5 (rev a1))

GT220 10DE:B0E2

GT240 10DE:B0E4

They are in HDAController binary so that I don't have to patch for them. I got it. Thanks.

Did you try to patch 10DE:B0E2 with 10DE:0BE5?

GT220 10DE:B0E2

GT240 10DE:B0E4

They are in HDAController binary so that I don't have to patch for them. I got it. Thanks.

Did you try to patch 10DE:B0E2 with 10DE:0BE5?

Yes all of them but see my last post it works (with be4 -> be5) ! but only on first HDMI under windows there is 3 codec exposed and i think i need to change something to output on port 2 or 3...

My last problem was the audio distorted (it works with idlehalt=0 but CPU get very hot..) so if you known what is doing this (MB: X58A-UD7) i will be happy :)

Thanks!

Yes all of them but see my last post it works (with be4 -> be5) ! but only on first HDMI under windows there is 3 codec exposed and i think i need to change something to output on port 2 or 3...

My last problem was the audio distorted (it works with idlehalt=0 but CPU get very hot..) so if you known what is doing this (MB: X58A-UD7) i will be happy :D

Thanks!

Sorry, I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Do you have Windows? If have it, did you get the distortion of audio?

Looking at the IORegistryExplorer of the newer MacBookPro6,1, I discovered there's some important clues going on with the AppleHDAController kext.

The MacBookPro6,1 uses the GT330M (device id 0AC0) with the device id 0BE2 for the Nvidia HDMI audio, same Nvidia HDMI id as mine, that's why I did not get any HDMI audio device id errors. The device id 0BE2 is in the AppleHDAController binary.

The AppleHDAController plist lists 4 times Apple's GT330M device id 0x0ac010de (decimal 282987200) under CodecAdressFilterArray. I replaced those 4 mentions of the GT330M by my GT240M device id 0x0a3410de (decimal 282987060). That did not work, still got the hdaGfxCandidate error.

It's only when I replaced the line IOPCIClassMatch by IOPCIPrimaryMatch, 0x0be210de in the AppleHDAController plist that it finally worked and got not more hdaGfxCandidate errors.

Did you try to patch 0x10de0ac0 (DE 10 C0 0A) with your 0x10de0a34 (DE 10 34 0A) in AppleHDAController binary? And, let IOPCIClassMatch to be as default. Or, you may try to add

HD Audio Controller ID of sound on board in IOPCIPrimaryMatch.

Okay, I followed tmongkol's instructions to get my HDMI audio card working (I only had to tweak the VRAM size). Adding the video card to the DSDT means I'm no longer on a vanilla Kakewalk install, but's the okay -- chance to learn!

I have a couple of nagging questions, though:

• Any idea why my mouse cursor turned blue? I'm pretty sure it was okay before adding the video card to my DSDT! When I screen-share into the machine, the mouse cursor is the correct color, but I don't know if Mac OS uses a local cursor or is showing me the remote cursor.
  • Any way to change the name of the HDMI audio device? FPDUSFN2 is such an unfriendly name.
  • How do I set up Mac OS so that both the "Digital Out" (from the motherboard) and the "FPDUSFN2" devices are outputting all the same? I've tried in vain to use the Audio Midi setup program to setup an aggregate device that works. They both work independently. I'd like to group these so the "wife acceptance factor" stays high. Sometimes I'll want audio through the receiver ("Digital Out" from the mobo), but most of the time I'll just want to use the HDMI audio.

Okay, I followed tmongkol's instructions to get my HDMI audio card working (I only had to tweak the VRAM size). Adding the video card to the DSDT means I'm no longer on a vanilla Kakewalk install, but's the okay -- chance to learn!

I have a couple of nagging questions, though:

• Any idea why my mouse cursor turned blue? I'm pretty sure it was okay before adding the video card to my DSDT! When I screen-share into the machine, the mouse cursor is the correct color, but I don't know if Mac OS uses a local cursor or is showing me the remote cursor.

I got this blue cursor too if I turned on LCD TV later or changed resolutions, connecting via HDMI. I had to turn on LCD TV before booting OS X then I got a normal cursor.

• Any way to change the name of the HDMI audio device? FPDUSFN2 is such an unfriendly name.

The name will show up if you connect an HDMI cable to LCD TV or modern AVR. I think you can't.

• How do I set up Mac OS so that both the "Digital Out" (from the motherboard) and the "FPDUSFN2" devices are outputting all the same? I've tried in vain to use the Audio Midi setup program to setup an aggregate device that works. They both work independently. I'd like to group these so the "wife acceptance factor" stays high. Sometimes I'll want audio through the receiver ("Digital Out" from the mobo), but most of the time I'll just want to use the HDMI audio.

Did you try this "[How to] Have sound on all of your speakers., Agregate Device + AU Lab + Soundflower"?

Sorry, I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Do you have Windows? If have it, did you get the distortion of audio?

Yes that works. I think it's related to C state too low, nothing related to that.

I've got a codec capture under linux for the GTX480 below, there is 4 section with the same codec ID and a different address field, does you known how to map the Address to a layout / pathmap or other things ??

Codec: Nvidia ID 10

Address: 0

Function Id: 0x1

Vendor Id: 0x10de0010

Subsystem Id: 0x10de0101

Revision Id: 0x100100

No Modem Function Group found

Default PCM:

rates [0x0]:

bits [0x0]:

formats [0x0]:

Default Amp-In caps: N/A

Default Amp-Out caps: N/A

GPIO: io=0, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=0, wake=0

Node 0x04 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x72b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe CP

Converter: stream=0, channel=0

Digital:

Digital category: 0x0

PCM:

rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000

bits [0xe]: 16 20 24

formats [0x5]: PCM AC3

Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0

Node 0x05 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP

Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP

Pin Default 0x18560010: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI

Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown

DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0

Pin-ctls: 0x00:

Connection: 1

0x04

Address: 1

Default PCM:

rates [0x0]:

bits [0x0]:

formats [0x0]:

Digital:

PCM:

0x04

Address: 2

Default PCM:

rates [0x0]:

bits [0x0]:

formats [0x0]:

Digital:

PCM:

0x04

Address: 3

Default PCM:

rates [0x0]:

bits [0x0]:

formats [0x0]:

Digital:

PCM:

0x04

Yes that works. I think it's related to C state too low, nothing related to that.

I've got a codec capture under linux for the GTX480 below, there is 4 section with the same codec ID and a different address field, does you known how to map the Address to a layout / pathmap or other things ??

Please see pictures and I hope you will get it. I think a new macmini has four addresses too.

Under Windows, you will have four HDMI devices but only one HDMI output is working. I think it depends on each graphic-card design.

Gigabyte GT220 via native HDMI

post-93383-1282738452_thumb.jpg

Galaxy GT240 via native HDMI

post-93383-1282738504_thumb.jpg

GT240 via DVI2HDMI adapter as same as GT220 via DVI2HDMI adapter

post-93383-1282738469_thumb.jpg

GT220: DVI2HDMI to a receiver & native HDMI to LCD TV

post-93383-1282830134_thumb.jpg

GT220: Sound Output

post-93383-1282830164_thumb.jpg

GT220: Midi Setup

post-93383-1282830185_thumb.jpgpost-93383-1282830216_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

I've been reading the posts here for quite a while and found myself in need of help so I registered !

My motherboard is a GA-EP45-UD3P with the F9 bios

I've used LeoHazard's distro of 10.6.3 on 64 bit with correct bios settings updated to 10.6.4 and changed the SleepEnabler so it wouldn't KP.

Right now everything works fine except that i can't get a better resolution than 1Kx700 because my ATI HD 5770 is recognized as a 4890 (should still be able to get a better resolution tho so i don't get it either) and my sound isn't working :

Here's my problem (can't seem to be able to print screen, saves nothing on desktop ) :

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 885

Line Output:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

Headphone:

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

Connection: Combination Output

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Input:

Connection: Combination Input

But there is also a second one just below

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 885

However, there is "No output devices found" in the Output tab of my sound system preferences...

I've tried many different things.

My DSDT is edited to include the HDEF, I tried with multiple AppleHDAs now i've got the original one.

I also have LegacyHDA for the ALC889a (the DSDT and previous AppleHDAs were for it too), and the HDAEnabler without which it won't recognize my sound chip.

I've emptied the cache and recalculated the Extensions.mkext file with kextcache.

Got any idea of what i should do ?

Hello,

I just built myself my 3rd hackintosh and I intend to use this one as an HTPC so I really would like to get the sound vis HDMI working. I tried to follow tmongkol's guide but I can't seem to figure out where exactly I should be adding his dsdt edits.

I'm on a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 board with a GT240 card (I am using Asere's bootloader which auto recognizes the card). My dsdt is available here:

http://beaule.dyndns.org/files/Corei3/dsdt.aml

Also, is there a way to get the HDMI device ID without using Windows?

Can anybody provide a few additional pointers?

Thanks,

Colddiver

Hello,

I just built myself my 3rd hackintosh and I intend to use this one as an HTPC so I really would like to get the sound vis HDMI working. I tried to follow tmongkol's guide but I can't seem to figure out where exactly I should be adding his dsdt edits.

I'm on a Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 board with a GT240 card (I am using Asere's bootloader which auto recognizes the card). My dsdt is available here:

http://beaule.dyndns.org/files/Corei3/dsdt.aml

Also, is there a way to get the HDMI device ID without using Windows?

Can anybody provide a few additional pointers?

Thanks,

Colddiver

Could you post your ioreg from IORegistryExplorer? You need to install Xcode from a retail DVD if you don't have this application.

Or using Terminal

ioreg -lxw0 >ioreg.txt

and post your txt file, I need to know exactly address of graphic card.

Could you post your ioreg from IORegistryExplorer? You need to install Xcode from a retail DVD if you don't have this application.

Or using Terminal

ioreg -lxw0 >ioreg.txt

and post your txt file, I need to know exactly address of graphic card.

Here it is!

ioreg.txt

Hi All,

I didn't think I would have to post in this thread at all because things just worked out of the box till now. Before I describe the problem, Here is my system

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 - Realtek ALC889a

SL 10.6.4 dualbooting with Win7 ultimate

Installed everything step by step from BlackOsx's guide here

Until 2 days ago everything has been just fine, no problems at all, 100% working audio, excellent quality everything was just fine.

On monday turned my computer on and tried playing a FLAC audio file and it was laggy/choppy with lots of fuzz or white noise. Aduims sounds have the same issue, so does youtube, iTunes, GuitarRig, HD videos and even some games. I thought this is weird maybe the sound card is dying so switched to windows played the same FLAC files, same videos same songs, all using the same media players etc. and everything works fine, so the chip isn't dying something in OSX is not happy.

I've tried reverting to the AppleHDA and LegacyHDA kexts from BlackOsx's post but they didnt work at all. Same deal when i tried with those kexts + HDAEnabler and even the vanilla kexts + HDAEnabler.

What should I do to fix this? I'm not really sure where/how people edit their files to include their pin configurations or how to build/rebuild my DSDT file or if this would even help. Could someone please provide some guidance/assistance?

I've attached the working (well working but with the horrible lag/choppy/fuzzy sound) kexts and my DSDT.aml and the dump from windows of my pin configuration in a zip file.

Broken_Kexts.zip

Thanks so much!

Wootbeast

please compare to your old dsdt.dsl

Colddiver.zip

also, don't forget to patch bin of AppleHDA for GT240

I think you can get HDMI audio from using AppleHDA (released 10.6.2).

Success (after I patched 10.6.4 AppleHDA)!

Thanks a million for your help... If would have taken me a fair bit of time to figure out exactly where to do the edits in the DSDT...

Colddiver

Hi All,

I didn't think I would have to post in this thread at all because things just worked out of the box till now. Before I describe the problem, Here is my system

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 - Realtek ALC889a

SL 10.6.4 dualbooting with Win7 ultimate

Installed everything step by step from BlackOsx's guide here

Until 2 days ago everything has been just fine, no problems at all, 100% working audio, excellent quality everything was just fine.

On monday turned my computer on and tried playing a FLAC audio file and it was laggy/choppy with lots of fuzz or white noise. Aduims sounds have the same issue, so does youtube, iTunes, GuitarRig, HD videos and even some games. I thought this is weird maybe the sound card is dying so switched to windows played the same FLAC files, same videos same songs, all using the same media players etc. and everything works fine, so the chip isn't dying something in OSX is not happy.

I've tried reverting to the AppleHDA and LegacyHDA kexts from BlackOsx's post but they didnt work at all. Same deal when i tried with those kexts + HDAEnabler and even the vanilla kexts + HDAEnabler.

What should I do to fix this? I'm not really sure where/how people edit their files to include their pin configurations or how to build/rebuild my DSDT file or if this would even help. Could someone please provide some guidance/assistance?

I've attached the working (well working but with the horrible lag/choppy/fuzzy sound) kexts and my DSDT.aml and the dump from windows of my pin configuration in a zip file.

Broken_Kexts.zip

Thanks so much!

Wootbeast

Did you try to remove any file related to FLAC yet?

Me again.

GOT IT!!!!

On Nvidia GT240M.

Tmongkol, thank you so much for your guidance!!

Looking at the IORegistryExplorer of the newer MacBookPro6,1, I discovered there's some important clues going on with the AppleHDAController kext.

The MacBookPro6,1 uses the device id 0BE2 for the Nvidia HDMI audio, same Nvidia HDMI id as mine, that's why I did not get any HDMI audio device id errors. The device id 0BE2 is in the AppleHDAController binary.

*** EDIT - 27 Aug 2010 ***: I now get HDMI audio, including all the other sound devices in Sound preferences. I had combined 2 microphones in the AppleHDAPlatformDriver Pathmaps, now I have the 2 microphones in 2 separates Pathmaps. The hdaGfxCandidate failed error is gone. HDMI audio is enabled with dsdt edit only. AppleHDAController totally unmodified.

The HDMI is connected to my Onkyo TX-SR606 audio receiver. I can do up to 7.1 multichannel, or send directly the Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded stream in VLC Media Player by selecting Built-In HDMI Output (Encoded Output).

I tried the 5.1 AAC encoded Apple trailer of Skyline. Crisp, neat and vibrant 5.1 analog sound coming out of all 5 speakers and the subwoofer. Quite neat.

Thanks again Tmongkol.

post-104137-1282918325_thumb.png post-104137-1282918345_thumb.png

*** EDIT ***: Some of you might want to see what dsdt code I'm using, here is my Graphics device section:

Device (PEG3)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)
Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (PICM)
{
Return (AR0A ())
}

Return (PR0A ())
}

Device (GFX0)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero)
Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
0x09,
0x05
}) 
OperationRegion (PEGH, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x40)
Field (PEGH, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
VID0, 16, 
DID0, 16
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LNotEqual (And (VID0, 0xFFFF), 0xFFFF))
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"hda-gfx", 
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

Return (0x80000002)
}
}

Device (HDAU)
{
Name (_ADR, One)
OperationRegion (HDAH, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x40)
Field (HDAH, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
VID0, 16, 
DID0, 16
}

{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LNotEqual (And (VID0, 0xFFFF), 0xFFFF))
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"hda-gfx", 
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

Return (0x80000002)
}
}
}

And here is my HDEF section:

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x60)
Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
VID0, 16, 
DID0, 16, 
Offset (0x4C), 
DCKA, 1, 
Offset (0x4D), 
DCKM, 1, 
, 6, 
DCKS, 1, 
Offset (0x54), 
, 15, 
PMES, 1
}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
}

{
Store (Package (0x06)
{
"layout-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}, 

"device-type", 
Buffer (0x06)
{
"Audio"
}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}
}

i have a question

my laptop also has a nv gt240m graphic card its devid just 10ed000a

so i do not need to path the applehda,i just neeed to modify the dsdt.aml Right?

now my question is:

when HDMI cable are not pluged between graphic card and LCD TV , in the System Profiler >Audio(build in) it has the info about HDMI show as 'HDMI/DIsplyPort Output',but in the System Preferences >sound>output there is no device of HDMI ,is this station is ok?

when the HDMI cable are pluged between graphic card and LCD TV , would the device of HDMI show as same as your picture?

thx ! sorry my poor eng

@Maczx,

So you have a GT240M like me.

Are you sure about your HDMI controller device id? Double check with windows the way Tmongkol explains in his post# 760. You say 10DE000A, but I think it's more likely to be 10DE0BE2, 10DE0BE4 or something like that. Those HDMI device codes are actually in the AppleHDAController binary.

You are correct. "HDMI /Displayport Output" will always show in the System Profiler Audio (Built In) section if you have correctly inserted the hda-gfx and Device (HDAU) hacks in your dsdt.

However, the HDMI sound device only shows in System Preferences Sound Output section if you have connected an HDMI sound device. It will not show if you don't have any HDMI sound devices connected. That's normal.

Did you try to remove any file related to FLAC yet?

@tmongkol

Thanks for the reply, but I haven't put anything special on for playing the FLAC file, I just used VLC. The problem doesn't just happen with flac, it happens with video files (regardless of the media player), youtube and flash video (regardless of the browser), iTunes regardless of whether its an mp3, apple lossless file etc. It also happens in games, and with system sounds, and with adiums little sounds it plays when you send and recieve a message.

Basically, if something tries to output audio it happens. Even audio input through garageband/guitar rig seems to be affected.

Hope this helps clear up what might be going wrong. I am about to switch to windows and try figure out how to build a new DSDT file and see if that helps.

Thanks

@tmongkol

Thanks for the reply, but I haven't put anything special on for playing the FLAC file, I just used VLC. The problem doesn't just happen with flac, it happens with video files (regardless of the media player), youtube and flash video (regardless of the browser), iTunes regardless of whether its an mp3, apple lossless file etc. It also happens in games, and with system sounds, and with adiums little sounds it plays when you send and recieve a message.

Basically, if something tries to output audio it happens. Even audio input through garageband/guitar rig seems to be affected.

Hope this helps clear up what might be going wrong. I am about to switch to windows and try figure out how to build a new DSDT file and see if that helps.

Thanks

Please try this

3out2in_HDA_headphone_layout_12.zip

@Maczx,

Yes, that's right. Your HDMI device id is 10DE000A and that id is already in the AppleHDA binary, so no need to patch the AppleHDA binary.

Now, check also your HDMI audio controller id. Your HDMI device sits on the HDMI audio controller.

For HDMI audio to work, you need to have your HDMI device id in the AppleHDA binary and your HDMI audio controller id in the AppleHDAController binary. You've already checked your HDMI device id. Here's how to check your HDMI audio controller id:

Go the same way in Device Manager, except this time, look under system devices (refer to my attachment). You should see 2 High Definition Audio Controllers. This first one should be the audio controller for your sound card and the second one should be your HDMI audio controller for your HDMI device. Look up the device id of your HDMI audio controller.

In my case for my GT240M, my HDMI device id is 10DE000A (already in the AppleHDA binary) and my HDMI audio controller id is 10DE0BE2 (already in AppleHDAController binary). Both IDs have to be in the binaries for your HDMI audio to work.

post-104137-1283471019_thumb.jpg