ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

ALC889aALC898 ALC887(H87M-HD3) ALC662(945GCM-S2L)

• Please log in to reply
1152 replies to this topic

iNarancs

iNarancs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

@iNarancs

May I have questions? Are you using Leo 10.5.8? What is version of AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, i.e. 1.7.1a2? Are you using DSDT.aml with patch HDEF? Please remove all legacy kexts (& HDAEnabler.kext, if have it) from /S/L/E or /E/E.

It's weird that you could not get an orange port working.

Well... This is embarrassing... I didn't patched the AppleHDA.kext.. I've checked its version it was 1.4.xxx than I thought this is not correct if you mention 1.7.xxx than took on of your 1.6.xxx kext and voila! IT IS WORKING! Thank you for your patient and of course for the clue! Really thanks :police:
P.S.: Sorry for being lame...

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
So I recently compiled a DSDT to detect my LAN/HDA and it worked perfectly, except I think I'm using the wrong kexts so I'm not getting sound. Which kext(s) should I be using with this:

Posted Image

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

So I recently compiled a DSDT to detect my LAN/HDA and it worked perfectly, except I think I'm using the wrong kexts so I'm not getting sound. Which kext(s) should I be using with this:

@d00m42

I've read your thread that you solved your problems.

For anyone, if you patch DSDT.aml with HDEF, you don't need such HDAEnabler.kext. You need to know which layout-id (LayoutID in info.plist) you're using. Then, you make your patched DSDT.aml to match your desire. A legacy kext is a kind of cosmetic and it contains only info.plist. So, you still need a vanilla kext. For example, my LegacyHDA.kext must be working with AppleHDA.kext.

r0nnie

r0nnie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for the tutorial. It works after two hours work.

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Sound Solution for 889a for SL

needs DSDT patch

decompile your DSDT.aml to DSDT.dsl (you can use iaslme program. just drag your DSDT.aml on icon of iaslme)

Edit your DSDT.dsl file with textedit

a. search and replace all AZAL entires with HDEF

b. replace the whole section Device (HDEF) above the line : "Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()" with the following:

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
},

"codec-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
},

"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"device-type",
Buffer (0x11)
{
"ALC889a"
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
{
Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
}, Arg4)
Return (One)
}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
{
Return (One)
}
}
}

Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}, Arg4)
Return (Zero)
}
}

Save your DSDT.dsl and compile it to DSDT.aml (just drag it on icon of iaslme again)

put your patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra

put the attached 889a.kext (this is a combined plist) in /Extra/Extensions

Tip: remove Voodoohda

remove your Caches:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches

rebuild kextcache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and you´re done

You will have all inputs and outputs working (personally not tested digital) headphones no autoswitching
(has 2 sound assertions at boot)

Credit goes to Proengin for the DSDT part and ffosilva for the combined plist

it's working, but i get sometimes a "POP" even there is no soundoutput.

yonika

yonika

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Sound Solution for 889a for SL

needs DSDT patch

decompile your DSDT.aml to DSDT.dsl (you can use iaslme program. just drag your DSDT.aml on icon of iaslme)

Edit your DSDT.dsl file with textedit

a. search and replace all AZAL entires with HDEF

b. replace the whole section Device (HDEF) above the line : "Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()" with the following:

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}

{
0x00
}, Arg4)
Return (Zero)
}
}

Save your DSDT.dsl and compile it to DSDT.aml (just drag it on icon of iaslme again)

put your patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra

put the attached 889a.kext (this is a combined plist) in /Extra/Extensions

Tip: remove Voodoohda

remove your Caches:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches

rebuild kextcache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and you´re done

You will have all inputs and outputs working (personally not tested digital) headphones no autoswitching
(has 2 sound assertions at boot)

Credit goes to Proengin for the DSDT part and ffosilva for the combined plist

There's no need to add all the info the the DSDT for sound to work.

Tools needed:
1. iasl (found in all the DSDT patchers solutions)
2. The ALC889A.kext (with info.plist)
3. EFI Studio
4. Kext Utility - to fix permissions (Google if you don't know how to find it)

The solution I used is to:
1. Decompile the DSDT.aml to DSDT.dsl using "iasl -d DSDT.aml"
2. on the DSDT.dsl search and replace "AZAL" to "HDEF" (should be 2 occurrences)
3. Save and recompile using "iasl -ta DSDT.dsl"
4. open EFI Studio and add "HDEF" efi-string to your com.apple.Boot.plist file.
5. Put ALC889.kext in /Extra/Extensions
6. Fix permissions and build Extensions.mkext using Kext Utility.
7. Reboot.

That's it, I got all outputs/inputs working for me, no popping sound when idle for long time.

Yonika

Alkis Lekakis

Alkis Lekakis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@yonika

What is the <key> for the Boot.plist?

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
So I got rid of everything except LegacyHDA.kext and restored the stock SL AppleHDA.kext. My DSDT is patched, so it should work fine... yet even though my outputs work fine and I have this for inputs:

Posted Image

My microphone (highlighted) does not actually detect any sound. What could cause this?

Andrea3000

Andrea3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

So I got rid of everything except LegacyHDA.kext and restored the stock SL AppleHDA.kext. My DSDT is patched, so it should work fine... yet even though my outputs work fine and I have this for inputs:

Posted Image

My microphone (highlighted) does not actually detect any sound. What could cause this?

I have the same problem with my front mic, it appears as "None". I have created a legacyHDA for SL starting from the modified applehda 1.6.2a37 3outs3ins in the main page of this thread. I have tried almost every combination but I can't get it to work...al the other inputs/outputs work like a charm.
I've got a GA-P35-DS3P with ALC889a.
Please help!

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I have the same problem with my front mic, it appears as "None". I have created a legacyHDA for SL starting from the modified applehda 1.6.2a37 3outs3ins in the main page of this thread. I have tried almost every combination but I can't get it to work...al the other inputs/outputs work like a charm.
I've got a GA-P35-DS3P with ALC889a.
Please help!

Patch DSDT with HDEF, then load only L3_4outs2ins_analog_HDA_headphone.zip from here

Andrea3000

Andrea3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Patch DSDT with HDEF, then load only L3_4outs2ins_analog_HDA_headphone.zip from here

Is that kext for snow leopard? I have just tried it but I don't get any output and input
I'm running snow leopard with 64bit kernel
Thank you

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Is that kext for snow leopard? I have just tried it but I don't get any output and input
I'm running snow leopard with 64bit kernel
Thank you

Sorry, i think it's this.
For Gigabyte (E)P35 & (E)P45 Making DSDT.aml for your PC is better.
updated and fixed. There are LegacyHDA.kext for ALC889a and ALC888. SL Ready

Andrea3000

Andrea3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Sorry, i think it's this.
For Gigabyte (E)P35 & (E)P45 Making DSDT.aml for your PC is better.
updated and fixed. There are LegacyHDA.kext for ALC889a and ALC888. SL Ready

These kexts haven't the front mic in info plist but only the rear mic so the front one doesn't even appear in the input list.
As I was explaining in the previous post, I tried to edit the 3outs2ins legacyhda from the archive that you have just linked in order to add the entry for the front mic.
I have used the info.plist from the 3outs3ins for leopard (which contains the front mic entry) to modify the legacy kext for snow leopard.
The result is that the front mic appears in the input list but it is named "None" and it does not work.
Thank you for your help anyway :(

Graebags

Graebags

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks aschar1, I'm using your modification to dsdt.aml and alc889a.kext, with the vanilla SL AppleHDA.kext and am still able to listen to 96khz pcm digital output from 64bit SL. The main change for me is the analog speaker output from the green not black output, and ports look to be correctly identified (not all checked yet).

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
tmongkol and others:

I have an EVGA X58 (i.e. not Gigabyte) motherboard with an ALC889 audio controller.

For 10.5.8, I've been using a modified AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext package that tmongkol kindly created and provided in the post linked below, and it worked perfectly.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1124729

Since installing Snow Leopard, I've tried every method that I've found with absolutely no luck. I've tried modifying Snow Leopard's AppleHDA.kext using the same steps that tmongkol used to create the last EVGA kexts (by modifying and patching the codec ID). I've also attempted the LegacyHDA + DSDT method, trying various codec/layout ID combinations, as well as aschar1's DSDT method. All of these methods have resulted in the same outcome: several available devices in System Profiler but no output devices (screenshots attached).

If anybody has an idea or suggestion to contribute, I would very much appreciate it. I'm aware of a handful of other EVGA X58 users who would also benefit from a working solution.

Thanks!

Attached Files

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

tmongkol and others:

If anybody has an idea or suggestion to contribute, I would very much appreciate it. I'm aware of a handful of other EVGA X58 users who would also benefit from a working solution.

Thanks!

Did you try layout-id 66, "0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00", with codec-id "0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10" in your DSDT? Please remove any non-vanilla audio kexts, and clear caches of course.

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Did you try layout-id 66, "0x42 0x00 0x00 0x00", with codec-id "0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10" in your DSDT? Please remove any non-vanilla audio kexts, and clear caches of course.

Thanks for the reply! No, I haven't yet tried this combination of layout ID and codec ID, but I will. Should I use any helper kext at all (LegacyHDA, ALC889a, etc)? If so, should the layout ID and codec ID inside the kext match the DSDT, or does it matter? Thanks again!

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Thanks for the reply! No, I haven't yet tried this combination of layout ID and codec ID, but I will. Should I use any helper kext at all (LegacyHDA, ALC889a, etc)? If so, should the layout ID and codec ID inside the kext match the DSDT, or does it matter? Thanks again!

Cloaked Hunter:

No helper kexts necessary, but it is necessary to remove any helper kexts. Layout-id 66 is already present in vanilla AppleHDA from at least 10.5.7 through 10.6. It's not a "perfect" solution but may work for you.

kdawg

kdawg

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 508 posts
Has anyone been able to get the internal two pin SPDIF header to work on a Gigabyte board? This header is usually used to hookup sound to a video card that supports HDMI. I have yet to get sound to work from my HDMI. Everyone seems to think it's the nVidia drivers. Video from the HDMI port works fine, just no sound from it.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

tmongkol and others:

I have an EVGA X58 (i.e. not Gigabyte) motherboard with an ALC889 audio controller.

For 10.5.8, I've been using a modified AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext package that tmongkol kindly created and provided in the post linked below, and it worked perfectly.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1124729

Since installing Snow Leopard, I've tried every method that I've found with absolutely no luck. I've tried modifying Snow Leopard's AppleHDA.kext using the same steps that tmongkol used to create the last EVGA kexts (by modifying and patching the codec ID). I've also attempted the LegacyHDA + DSDT method, trying various codec/layout ID combinations, as well as aschar1's DSDT method. All of these methods have resulted in the same outcome: several available devices in System Profiler but no output devices (screenshots attached).

Thanks!

try Attached File  EVGA_X58_ALC889.zip   20.5KB   93 downloads It's a legacy kext and has to be used with AppleHDA.kext. Also, it needs DSDT w/ patched HDEF for working on SL. I just changed CodecID and LayoutID so I have no idea whether it will work for you or not. Your sound on board is ALC889 so CodecID must be 283904137. I hope it will work for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy