ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

machinist - yes I had the sound working kextless with a couple of different layouts including 66 but none of them had working mic inputs which I need.

This solution is virtually kextless since it only provides the info.plist with the proper layouts.

Bart86:

Layout-id "66" may need the pin configuration data included in the previous post to enable mic and headphone. Your trial included "0x00" as the pin config. Please try the new one above.

Alternatively you can always incorporate the pin config data from your current solution's "empty kext" into your current DSDT, obviating the need for that kext.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck.

Hi tmongkol,

I guess I am unsure what to do here. I have ALC888. I downloaded your "series of LegacyHDA." If I do not want to modify my DSDT at this time, how can I make these work? You helped me previously on 10.5, but now I am trying to get these working on 10.6. I want to put LegacyHDA in /Extra/Extensions with an /Extra/Extensions.mkext also. What other kexts do I need in there. I tried all 4 of your LegacyHDAs with a 64-bit HDAEnabler I found, but go no sound devices with all of them. I must be missing a kext in there? My /S/L/E is all vanilla including AppleHDA. Can you please give me a tip? Thanks.

Hi tmongkol,

I guess I am unsure what to do here. I have ALC888. I downloaded your "series of LegacyHDA." If I do not want to modify my DSDT at this time, how can I make these work? You helped me previously on 10.5, but now I am trying to get these working on 10.6. I want to put LegacyHDA in /Extra/Extensions with an /Extra/Extensions.mkext also. What other kexts do I need in there. I tried all 4 of your LegacyHDAs with a 64-bit HDAEnabler I found, but go no sound devices with all of them. I must be missing a kext in there? My /S/L/E is all vanilla including AppleHDA. Can you please give me a tip? Thanks.

If you're using HADEnabler.kext, it normally sets layout-id to be 12. You may change LayoutID of LegacyHDA.kext as the following picture.

post-93383-1252393457_thumb.jpg

Another way is to change layout-id of HDAEnabler. Delete old layout-id and create a new layout-id with value type of data. Enter <78030000> for 888 as the following picture.

post-93383-1252393194_thumb.jpg

should be

post-93383-1252393839_thumb.jpg

Well, I thought so, too. I actually tried this several days ago, but it didn't work. Then, tmongkol sent me a version that he patched himself, but that didn't work either. (That's actually when I decided to try the old 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext). It seems Apple changed enough to render the patch ineffective.

Maybe tmongkol (or someone else) can figure out what needs to happen to patch this latest AppleHDA.kext. While I know the exact steps that tmongkol used to patch the 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext, I'm no expert on why those changes work.

In the meantime, this 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext continues to work fine in Snow Leopard.

anything new? i`m also a evga x58 sli user and it would be nice to have audio in snow 64bit working. what are the disadvantages of voodoohda, why is this methode better?

hi, i've registered today here... since i have this problem, i can't find out how to install the audio driver, i've readed this thread and a lot of more, several times, and nothing, i still don't get it...

i have this motherboard, it's a gigabyte ex38-ds5 and the audio codec is ALC889A like it says in gigabyte's page (http://www.giga-byte.es/products/mb/specs/ga-ex38-ds5.html).

Ok and i have leopard 10.5.5

I know, i need to update, but, when i do update, my LAN stop working, i readed in a web that it's a bug by apple? i don't know but, this version is running well, just need the sound to be perfect.... can you help me?

Please remember, i'm terrible new in this (mac) so, don't talk chinese to me ;)

Bart86:

Layout-id "66" may need the pin configuration data included in the previous post to enable mic and headphone. Your trial included "0x00" as the pin config. Please try the new one above.

Alternatively you can always incorporate the pin config data from your current solution's "empty kext" into your current DSDT, obviating the need for that kext.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck.

Hi,

I tried several different pin assignments in the dsdt but could not find one that enabled Mic jacks front or rear. In fact various pin assignments really didn't seem to impact the available/usable jacks one way or the other. I just listed 0x00 because that was the last option I tried.

I try all in guide but finaly see the pictures!!

but in pref pane i cant see any outpout??

my system config: Snow Leopard with EP45-DS4 with DSTD pach as guide!!

How can fix this ??

@pao13

Where did you put LegacyHDA.kext? What is boot loader?

Based on 10.5.x, If you're using Chameleon 2 RCx and put LegacyHDA.kext into /Extra/Extensions/, it should be working.

profailer.jpg

pref.jpg

How can fix this ??

You have to rebuild kext cache. Use kext utility and then reboot. That did the trick for me.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have installed Snow Leopard 10a432.Everything working well except audio.My laptop is 8930-6442 Acer Aspire.Tried hundreds of kexts in vain.I think the audio device is alc889.Its shows this in system profiler.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x10250145

Audio ID: 0

Please help

Prasad

profailer.jpg

pref.jpg

How can fix this ??

The same stuff in SL, no sound n no solution... Tried to make that *hit working over a week... It seems like no one got the sound under Snow Leo with the same DevID, layout id...

dmesg on starup:

Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 255 goto Exit1

Here is my DSDT HDEF section that i use... pin config was taken under 10.5.8 in IORegExplorer that gives: [attached]

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00140002)
               OperationRegion (PCI, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x0100)
               Field (PCI, AnyAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                           Offset (0x42), 
                   DNSP,   1, 
                   DNSO,   1, 
                   ENSR,   1
               }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x1B, 
                   0x04
               })
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889A"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x30)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x12, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x11, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x14, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x30, 0x99, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x3F, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x31, 0x31, 0x81, 0x01, 0x1F, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x32, 0x01, 0x33, 0x99, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x40, 
                               /* 0028 */    0x60, 0x01, 0x45, 0x81, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x40
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Now i'm gonna try to get sound using native AppleHDA in 10.5.X.

@pao13

Where did you put LegacyHDA.kext? What is boot loader?

Based on 10.5.x, If you're using Chameleon 2 RCx and put LegacyHDA.kext into /Extra/Extensions/, it should be working.

It must be working like a 2.1 without any Legacy* or patched AppleHDAs... 10ec0885 has native support in AppleHDA...

post-415734-1252849044_thumb.png

post-415734-1252849053_thumb.png

post-415734-1252849268_thumb.png

post-415734-1252849278_thumb.png

The same stuff in SL, no sound n no solution... Tried to make that *hit working over a week... It seems like no one got the sound under Snow Leo with the same DevID, layout id...

dmesg on starup:

Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 255 goto Exit1

Here is my DSDT HDEF section that i use... pin config was taken under 10.5.8 in IORegExplorer that gives: [attached]

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00140002)
               OperationRegion (PCI, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x0100)
               Field (PCI, AnyAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                           Offset (0x42), 
                   DNSP,   1, 
                   DNSO,   1, 
                   ENSR,   1
               }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x1B, 
                   0x04
               })
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889A"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x30)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x12, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x11, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x14, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x30, 0x99, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x3F, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x31, 0x31, 0x81, 0x01, 0x1F, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x32, 0x01, 0x33, 0x99, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x40, 
                               /* 0028 */    0x60, 0x01, 0x45, 0x81, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x40
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Now i'm gonna try to get sound using native AppleHDA in 10.5.X.

It must be working like a 2.1 without any Legacy* or patched AppleHDAs... 10ec0885 has native support in AppleHDA...

@Gaal Dormik

Sorry. I have no idea to fix your problem. It might be because of AMD chipset. Someone might be able to solve this problem.

Lame... Guys, that is not cool at all... By the way, one dude told me that he made alc889a working by removing AppleHDA and installing VoodooHDA 0.2.1 x64 kext in /S/L/E, but i'm not sure whether he had input devices... anyway only quadro output at best, i'm using Logic 9 so i do need those "in"s...

That is the exact same problem I'm having. If you get it fixed, please let me know as I've tried everything I can think of.

@Black Knight & Gaal Dornik

Someone in my country used "GigabyteP35CC" to install AppleHDA.kext on GA-MA78GM-US2H. Only this could be working for him. If you are interested, you just search it. Also, you may need to add IOPCIPrimaryMatch in AppleHDAController's info.plist for your mobo. You may use OSx86 Tool Utility (just search it) or lspci to view PCI devices.

Did not work for me, still no sound...

@Black Knight & Gaal Dornik

Someone in my country used "GigabyteP35CC" to install AppleHDA.kext on GA-MA78GM-US2H. Only this could be working for him. If you are interested, you just search it. Also, you may need to add IOPCIPrimaryMatch in AppleHDAController's info.plist for your mobo. You may use OSx86 Tool Utility (just search it) or lspci to view PCI devices.

Tried... the same result - no devs...

Lame... Guys, that is not cool at all... By the way, one dude told me that he made alc889a working by removing AppleHDA and installing VoodooHDA 0.2.1 x64 kext in /S/L/E, but i'm not sure whether he had input devices... anyway only quadro output at best, i'm using Logic 9 so i do need those "in"s...

Loading... 10s... 1output... KP... ((((

Just a little note to those using dsdt patch for HDEF with legacy alc889a

the PinConfiguration in the HDEF section have no meaning (even not for system profiler)

the only thing that matters is the layout-id

when the layout-id has match for existing layout-id in the legacy kext (or original kext), the pin-configuration is loaded from there, bypassing the one in the dsdt.

so you will get the same result even if you'll use:

"PinConfigurations", 
						 Buffer (One)
						 {
							 0x00
						 }

added on 6-8-2009

Added series of LegacyHDA.kext for Gigabyte ALC888 and ALC889a 10.5.8 & SL Ready

Series of LegacyHDA

or

Series_of_LegacyHDA.zip

***LegacyHDA.kext contains only info.plist so it has to work with AppleHDA.kext.***

Hi tmongkol, I tried your guide to enable sound on EP45-UD3L (ALC888) on SL. But no sound. I booted in -v it shows that OSX is loading some sound files, but in sys.pref->sound no input or output device detected. I updated to 10.6.1 and then saw the sys.profiler found that osx has detected 885 as audio (as I followed your guide exactly), but again in sys.pref-?sound no input or output device shows up. I am using untouched AppleHDA in S/L/E and using Legacy HDA file in E/E. I have tried all four legacy files posted in your Series of LegacyHDA but no success. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Hi tmongkol, I tried your guide to enable sound on EP45-UD3L (ALC888) on SL. But no sound. I booted in -v it shows that OSX is loading some sound files, but in sys.pref->sound no input or output device detected. I updated to 10.6.1 and then saw the sys.profiler found that osx has detected 885 as audio (as I followed your guide exactly), but again in sys.pref-?sound no input or output device shows up. I am using untouched AppleHDA in S/L/E and using Legacy HDA file in E/E. I have tried all four legacy files posted in your Series of LegacyHDA but no success. Any help would be highly appreciated.

You got the wrong layout-id. After you change the code in dsdt, you should use LegacyHDA.kext for ALC888.

Also, for anyone has ALC888

Chang the code of your DSDT in HDEF section

{
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x0F)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC888"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x01)
                           {
			0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

or you can use only

{
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

Use IORegistryExplorer to see the difference of codes

Hi tmongkol,

I do have a GA-P35-DS3 Rev 2.0 and my sound is working on SnowLeo with GUIPatcher DSDT.aml (fixed RTC) and a LegacyHDA.kext 889A (for Snow Leo) from blackosx Thread...

So far so good but i hvae a problem. When I boot up in verbose I see the following error (Pic below):

Sound assertion "0 "" entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/Appl eHDADriver.cpp" at line 2976 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 "" entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/Appl eHDADriver.cpp" at line 3009 goto handler

How can I get rid of this error? Do you have a solution?

I tried serveral Legacy kexts... Same error. Is ther a way with HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext to get sound working under Snow?

I have EyeTV connected via USB - there is a "Sound In Port" and I use this for looping a sound signal from a reciever box to Mac but it does not come out through the Outputdevices in my Soundcontrollpanel... In the Mac Amplifier for USB Device I see that sound is on my USB Device Port (Flickering)...

All Macsounds (System, Itunes, Web, Youtube Video, etc...) works fine...

I think it could be the boot error?

Help would be nice...

post-84521-1253434154_thumb.jpg

So after three days of testing I found a solution to eliminate the ERROR.

GRRRRR - life could be so stupid!

My Kernel Flag -x32 did not work to boot up in 32bit!

arch=i386 helps to boot up in 32bit...

Error in Verbose is gone.... But it doesn't solve my Problem...

Anyway I do not get a USB Sound Input via EyeTV USB Stick to Output via System Internal Output...

:( Any solution for this...