ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

For now I've been trying for 3 days to get my 5.1 surround system work properly.. I have an EP35-DS3 motherboard. Unfortunately the most I've managed to achieve is to get the green(front), black(rear) and pink(mic) jacks to work simultaneously. I really want to get to work that damn orange jack, because that's the jack of the center/sw. Otherwise everything else is working fine, that's the last problem I have. If anybody can help... PLEASE don't be shy

Full config: Intel Core 2 Duo | Gigabyte EP35-DS3 | 2 GB RAM @ 800MHz | Sapphire Radeon HD4830 - Installed OSX from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD updated to 10.5.8

tmongkol,

i have a gigabyte EP45-UD3R rev 1.1, everything works properly on the board except the sound. I keep getting this pop noise every time the computer starts up or if i do something after the computer sits for a bit. I have searched countless hours to try to remedy this but could not find a solution. My system is set to MacPro 3,1 and i have tried every kext on the first page. They all make the sound work but i still get that pop. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

thank you for this thorough guide! finally found myself with some free time to tackle the dsdt and your instructions were perfect! i've no longer any need for HDAEnabler and the legacy kext works great in E/E for both 10.5.8 and 10.6

thanks!

For now I've been trying for 3 days to get my 5.1 surround system work properly.. I have an EP35-DS3 motherboard. Unfortunately the most I've managed to achieve is to get the green(front), black(rear) and pink(mic) jacks to work simultaneously. I really want to get to work that damn orange jack, because that's the jack of the center/sw. Otherwise everything else is working fine, that's the last problem I have. If anybody can help... PLEASE don't be shy

Full config: Intel Core 2 Duo | Gigabyte EP35-DS3 | 2 GB RAM @ 800MHz | Sapphire Radeon HD4830 - Installed OSX from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD updated to 10.5.8

@iNarancs

Which kext did you use? Are you using HDEF enabler via DSDT or HDAEnabeler.kext? If you try to use vanilla AppleHDA.kext, you will not be able to get as you want. I use 3outs2ins LegacyHDA.kext which matchs to Windows outputs.

tmongkol,

i have a gigabyte EP45-UD3R rev 1.1, everything works properly on the board except the sound. I keep getting this pop noise every time the computer starts up or if i do something after the computer sits for a bit. I have searched countless hours to try to remedy this but could not find a solution. My system is set to MacPro 3,1 and i have tried every kext on the first page. They all make the sound work but i still get that pop. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

@baller2319

It is normal to get pop noise at starting up. I have no idea how you set your model. Model and boot rom version should be related each other. For example, model is MacPro1,1 and boot rom version is MP11.xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxxx. If you set it correctly, you should not get popping sound before normal sound.

@baller2319

It is normal to get pop noise at starting up. I have no idea how you set your model. Model and boot rom version should be related each other. For example, model is MacPro1,1 and boot rom version is MP11.xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxxx. If you set it correctly, you should not get popping sound before normal sound.

Thank you so much for your response. I noticed that it says MacPro 3,1 and the boot room version says IM71.007A.B01, Do you know how i can fix that? Thank you.

Which kext did you use? Are you using HDEF enabler via DSDT or HDAEnabeler.kext? If you try to use vanilla AppleHDA.kext, you will not be able to get as you want. I use 3outs2ins LegacyHDA.kext which matchs to Windows outputs.

Right now I'm using the files from this: Legacy HDA 1057 / Legacy 4outs2ins analog HDA headphone / LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext HDAEnabler.kext LegacyHDAController.kext

Guest Snowski

Since this is all a bit confusing to me I'm going to ask:

What do I need for 5.1 (analog) sound to work in Snow Leopard 64bit for my ALC889a?

Thx in advance

Thank you so much for your response. I noticed that it says MacPro 3,1 and the boot room version says IM71.007A.B01, Do you know how i can fix that? Thank you.

@baller2319

sent some info to you via PM. Did you install Chameleon 2 RC1 or RC2? If you installed, you just edit smbios.plist.

Right now I'm using the files from this: Legacy HDA 1057 / Legacy 4outs2ins analog HDA headphone / LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext HDAEnabler.kext LegacyHDAController.kext

@iNarancs

If you are using these kexts, you should be able to set 5.1. Are you using Audio MIDI Setup for setting Aggregate Devices? I still don't understand why you could not get it work. I tested an orange port's working fine.

Since this is all a bit confusing to me I'm going to ask:

What do I need for 5.1 (analog) sound to work in Snow Leopard 64bit for my ALC889a?

Thx in advance

@Snowski

You may use my LegacyHDA,kexts or others that have 3 analog ports available, including green, orange, and black. If you are using mine, there are 3outs2ins (analog) HDA headphone and 4outs2ins (analog) HDA headphone. So, you don't have to change ports if you are using more than one OS.

You need to use Audio MIDI Setup for setting Aggregate Devices, link a guide on the first post.

I've known only one application called VLC that can play 5.1. I tested it worked fine on SL 64 bit. Also, a source must provide 5.1. :rolleyes:

@iNarancs

If you are using these kexts, you should be able to set 5.1. Are you using Audio MIDI Setup for setting Aggregate Devices? I still don't understand why you could not get it work. I tested an orange port's working fine.

Allright.. The problem there is no sound on the devices connected to the orange port on any output device appearing in the Audio MIDI.

Can you tell me EXATCLY which pack/kext/whatever should i download? And if I install that kext for eg than reboot under what name should I find the orange port in the outs?

Thanks very much aschar1 - followed your guide and got sound finally working on Snow Leopard 64bit.

My MB GA-EP35-DS4 rev 2.1

Sound Solution for 889a for SL

needs DSDT patch

decompile your DSDT.aml to DSDT.dsl (you can use iaslme program. just drag your DSDT.aml on icon of iaslme)

Edit your DSDT.dsl file with textedit

a. search and replace all AZAL entires with HDEF

b. replace the whole section Device (HDEF) above the line : "Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()" with the following:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x05

})

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x0A)

{

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x11)

{

"ALC889a"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

}

Save your DSDT.dsl and compile it to DSDT.aml (just drag it on icon of iaslme again)

put your patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra

put the attached 889a.kext (this is a combined plist) in /Extra/Extensions

Tip: remove Voodoohda

remove your Caches:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches

rebuild kextcache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and you´re done

You will have all inputs and outputs working (personally not tested digital) headphones no autoswitching

(has 2 sound assertions at boot)

Credit goes to Proengin for the DSDT part and ffosilva for the combined plist

Allright.. The problem there is no sound on the devices connected to the orange port on any output device appearing in the Audio MIDI.

Can you tell me EXATCLY which pack/kext/whatever should i download? And if I install that kext for eg than reboot under what name should I find the orange port in the outs?

Using Legacy 4outs2ins analog HDA headphone shoul be OK. Could you check each port (green, orange, grey, black) of your system? Please let me know which ports you can or can't here. I woulk like to help you as much as I can.

Friends,

I need your help. About a week ago I became frustrated with trying to get my old onboard audio chip, an ALC883, working with the new drivers. I purchased an EP45-UD3P board with an ALC889a chip, I think, because support for the chip is much better. At the time I powered down my system, I had two drives, one used for backup and the other used for daily use and testing (two partitions). I also purchased a new drive for development and testing SL. I installed Retail 10.5.6 following Auzigog's guide on the new drive and then migrated the new drivers and setting back to my 10.5.8 installation. Getting sound to work, particularly through the headphone jack, has remained an issue.

I have successfully mastered patching my DSDT.aml for the onboard ethernet and for the audio chip. I can inject PinConfigurations, device-id, layout-id and device-type, and insert ConfigData via LegacyHDA located in /Extra/Extensions. I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC1 with Netkas' 10.2 bootloader.

The main issue I'm having is getting the Headphone jack to show up in the audio preferences. The pin is defined in ConfigData, and shows up in the System Profiler. Depending on what I do with the Green Line Out jack in the rear, I can make it show up as a jack or an External port. I have, in the past couple of hours, ripped out the LegacyHDA + HDAEnabler solution, and gone with the HDAEnabler+AppleHDA solution for the 888 chip. That hasn't worked either. I also tried injecting a layout-id of 66 (also 12, 36, 63, 64 and 77), none of which resulted in a working headphone jack.

Here are the results from my last try:

1) My HDEF code in dsdt.aml

Device (HDEF)
           {
                 Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
 				{
      					Return (Package (0x02)
      					{
            						0x0D,
            						0x05
        					})
   				}

{
       				    Store (Package (0x08)
       				   	{

"codec-id",
            						Buffer (0x4)
            						{
                 							0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10	// 889
             						},

"layout-id", 
              Buffer (0x04)
             				        {
                   				             0x88, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00   // 888, IM, t=149941
              }, 

"device-type", 
              				        Buffer (0x12)
                                     {
                    "GigaByte ALC889a"     
                                   	}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                                    	Buffer (0x01)
               {
                    							0x00
               						} 

}, Local0)
           				        Return (Local0)
   				   }
		}

After booting, here's what shows up in System Profiler:

Audio (Built In):

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102
             Audio ID: 888
             Available Devices:
                     Internal Microphone:
                             Connection: Internal
                     External Microphone:
                             Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
                     Line In:
                     Headphone:
                     Speaker:
                     Line Out:
                     Line Out:
                     Line Out:
                     S/P-DIF Out:
                                 Connection: Combo
                     S/P-DIF In:
                                 Connection: Combo

Looking at the situation in the IORegistry, we find this:

post-216034-1251259035_thumb.png

Good news stops at this point, as the code to build the audio engine failed during the boot process. Here's the relevant information from the System Log:

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

Can anyone please help me out? What other tools do I have to help me understand what's going wrong? I've looked at some of the ConfigData for some stock Apple layouts, and they don't even include microphone pins in their layouts! Since I really don't have an internal speaker, is there a way to eliminate that from the description?

Here's what I'd like to see for outputs:

Line Out

Headphone Out

S/PDIF Out

Here's what I'd like for Inputs

Front Mic

Rear Mic

Line In

S/PDIF In

The outputs don't need to autoswitch, but it would be OK if they did.

I tried eliminating the internal speaker from the layout, but then I couldn't parse the PathMap and determine how to fix it.

Thanks,

--Skip

Friends,

I need your help. About a week ago I became frustrated with trying to get my old onboard audio chip, an ALC883, working with the new drivers. I purchased an EP45-UD3P board with an ALC889a chip, I think, because support for the chip is much better. At the time I powered down my system, I had two drives, one used for backup and the other used for daily use and testing (two partitions). I also purchased a new drive for development and testing SL. I installed Retail 10.5.6 following Auzigog's guide on the new drive and then migrated the new drivers and setting back to my 10.5.8 installation. Getting sound to work, particularly through the headphone jack, has remained an issue. ..............

I tried eliminating the internal speaker from the layout, but then I couldn't parse the PathMap and determine how to fix it.

Thanks,

--Skip

@SkipG

You made the wrong layout-id of DSDT. You need to know which layout-id has CodecID of ALC889a (0x10EC0885). The important thing is CodecID in info.plist of AppleHDAPlatformDriver. If you follow my guide and use my kexts, it should not be any problem. After that, when you learn more about DSDT and how to patch AppleHDA, you will be able to rewrite your DSDT and edit info.plists of AppleHDA.kext.

Gigabyte ALC889a (0x10EC0885) is not ALC889 (0x10EC0889).

Off the topic, a new coming MOBO for Intel i5 & i7 (LGA1156), Gigabyte's still using ALC889a but ASUS will use VIA.

Using Legacy 4outs2ins analog HDA headphone shoul be OK. Could you check each port (green, orange, grey, black) of your system? Please let me know which ports you can or can't here. I woulk like to help you as much as I can.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you, but still don't work. On windows of course each port is working the 5.1 system works fine but under Mac I can't get to work that orange port, and I don't understand why, I tried almost everything.

Can you give me a link to the proper KEXT and the instructions? Because I've tried every single way to try to get work it.

Thanks much

@SkipG

You made the wrong layout-id of DSDT. You need to know which layout-id has CodecID of ALC889a (0x10EC0885). The important thing is CodecID in info.plist of AppleHDAPlatformDriver. If you follow my guide and use my kexts, it should not be any problem. After that, when you learn more about DSDT and how to patch AppleHDA, you will be able to rewrite your DSDT and edit info.plists of AppleHDA.kext.

Gigabyte ALC889a (0x10EC0885) is not ALC889 (0x10EC0889).

Sir,

You are a kind, patient and gentle man. Thank you for helping me.

I went back to the your suggested approach: Using the LegacyHDA.kext from Series of LegacyHDA/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3out2in HDA headphone (in /Extra/Extensions) and the HDAEnabler in the parent directory (in /S/L/E) with the vanilla AppleHDA.kext, I edited my dsdt.aml to specify a layout-id of 0x75 0x03, and a codec-id of 0x85 0x08 0xEC 0x10.

On booting, I got no errors about mapping the pins or building the audio engine, but I still have the problem of the headphones not showing up in the Audio Preferences panel. What I see is a list consisting of Internal Speakers, 2 entries labeled Line Out, and one labeled Digital Out.

Here are the relevant screen grabs for my System Profile and IORegistry in hopes they will be of some help in solving the problem. Again, thank you for helping me...

--Skip

post-216034-1251279753_thumb.png

post-216034-1251279739_thumb.png

On booting, I got no errors about mapping the pins or building the audio engine, but I still have the problem of the headphones not showing up in the Audio Preferences panel. What I see is a list consisting of Internal Speakers, 2 entries labeled Line Out, and one labeled Digital Out.

I have an update for folks that are following this thread: The HP jack and the corresponding rear Line Out are working the way they're supposed to be working! I plug in HP, and the rear Line Out is muted. Whatta construct! It actually works the way it's supposed to with the Jack Detect.

Sigh... I've only been struggling with this for three or four days :(

--Skip

Sir,

You are a kind, patient and gentle man. Thank you for helping me.

I went back to the your suggested approach: Using the LegacyHDA.kext from Series of LegacyHDA/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3out2in HDA headphone (in /Extra/Extensions) and the HDAEnabler in the parent directory (in /S/L/E) with the vanilla AppleHDA.kext, I edited my dsdt.aml to specify a layout-id of 0x75 0x03, and a codec-id of 0x85 0x08 0xEC 0x10.

Here are the relevant screen grabs for my System Profile and IORegistry in hopes they will be of some help in solving the problem. Again, thank you for helping me...

--Skip

If you have HDEF enabler in DSDT.aml, you don't need HDAEnabler.kext. Please remove it.

Please take time to learn how other people did on AppleHDA.kext. I took several months to understand how to edit info.plists of AppleHDA.kext.

In registry should be like this.

post-93383-1251286599_thumb.jpg

I really appreciate your help. Thank you, but still don't work. On windows of course each port is working the 5.1 system works fine but under Mac I can't get to work that orange port, and I don't understand why, I tried almost everything.

Can you give me a link to the proper KEXT and the instructions? Because I've tried every single way to try to get work it.

Thanks much

@iNarancs

May I have questions? Are you using Leo 10.5.8? What is version of AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, i.e. 1.7.1a2? Are you using DSDT.aml with patch HDEF? Please remove all legacy kexts (& HDAEnabler.kext, if have it) from /S/L/E or /E/E.

It's weird that you could not get an orange port working.

@iNarancs

May I have questions? Are you using Leo 10.5.8? What is version of AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, i.e. 1.7.1a2? Are you using DSDT.aml with patch HDEF? Please remove all legacy kexts (& HDAEnabler.kext, if have it) from /S/L/E or /E/E.

It's weird that you could not get an orange port working.

Well... This is embarrassing... I didn't patched the AppleHDA.kext.. I've checked its version it was 1.4.xxx than I thought this is not correct if you mention 1.7.xxx than took on of your 1.6.xxx kext and voila! IT IS WORKING! Thank you for your patient and of course for the clue! Really thanks :police:

P.S.: Sorry for being lame...

So I recently compiled a DSDT to detect my LAN/HDA and it worked perfectly, except I think I'm using the wrong kexts so I'm not getting sound. Which kext(s) should I be using with this:

@d00m42

I've read your thread that you solved your problems.

For anyone, if you patch DSDT.aml with HDEF, you don't need such HDAEnabler.kext. You need to know which layout-id (LayoutID in info.plist) you're using. Then, you make your patched DSDT.aml to match your desire. A legacy kext is a kind of cosmetic and it contains only info.plist. So, you still need a vanilla kext. For example, my LegacyHDA.kext must be working with AppleHDA.kext.

Sound Solution for 889a for SL

needs DSDT patch

decompile your DSDT.aml to DSDT.dsl (you can use iaslme program. just drag your DSDT.aml on icon of iaslme)

Edit your DSDT.dsl file with textedit

a. search and replace all AZAL entires with HDEF

b. replace the whole section Device (HDEF) above the line : "Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()" with the following:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x05

})

}

{

Store (Package (0x0A)

{

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x11)

{

"ALC889a"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}

}, Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

}

Save your DSDT.dsl and compile it to DSDT.aml (just drag it on icon of iaslme again)

put your patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra

put the attached 889a.kext (this is a combined plist) in /Extra/Extensions

Tip: remove Voodoohda

remove your Caches:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches

rebuild kextcache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and you´re done

You will have all inputs and outputs working (personally not tested digital) headphones no autoswitching

(has 2 sound assertions at boot)

Credit goes to Proengin for the DSDT part and ffosilva for the combined plist

it's working, but i get sometimes a "POP" even there is no soundoutput.