10.5.6 Released...? odd.

Oxtie

61 posts in this topic

10.5.5 Through Kaly.

Installed DSDT and New Bootloader with the fool proof GUI released.

Updated using software update.. restarted

Had one restart loop and up and running.

Sound was the only thing as mentioned before that I lost in the update. Video, lan, wifi usb all still running perfectly. No complaints yet! :)

Question.... if you ever have a serious crash and have to reformat.. what's the best method..

1. install fresh OSX 10.5.x kaly

2. install new boot and dst

3. time machine back up to backup copy

????

I have a iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 installed on a Quad Core Q6600 along with a nVidia 9600Gt on a Ga-G31-S2l mobo . Im currently using 9.4.0 Stage XNu kernel .

What would be the best way to update on my hackintosh .

also can you tell me if it would be stable for my system to do so.

10.5.5 Through Kaly.

Question.... if you ever have a serious crash and have to reformat.. what's the best method..

1. install fresh OSX 10.5.x kaly

2. install new boot and dst

3. time machine back up to backup copy

????

I would install using the Boot-132 method with Chameleon. I upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 through Software Update and everything went off without a hitch. It did the double-reboot thing (real mac users report this during updates, too), and then it was up and running. Only had to re-patch the AppleHDA audio because the kext had been replaced.

As a side note, I would either partition your hard drive into two identical partitions, or use two separate hard drives, then use Super Duper to clone one to the other. That way, you have a working partition to boot to all the time-- also, you can use it to test software updates!

Downloaded Delta version of 10.5.6 and ran dmg from HDD. Kernel panicked during install (@ 69%). Forced re-start and kernel panicked a few seconds into spinning sphincter sequence. Rebooted in safe mode. Kernel panicked about 20 seconds into spinning sphincter. Restored 10.5.5 from a clone. I'm done with 10.5.6 - might try again with 10.5.7 though, when it gets here.

So, no... it's not safe for all Hackintoshes. And thank the lord for CCC. Nice software Mr Bombich. :-)

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I read a thread that recommended using PM Disabler kext before running the 10.5.6 installer, so I did that and had another go - this time the script ran and required a restart. The PC didn't actually re-boot so I used the restart button on the box to fire it up again.

On the light grey screen with the whirling sphincter, it just stayed there, rotating away while nothing else happened. So I did a forced restart and hit F8 to get a -v -x -f boot. This time it ran through to completion and I successfully logged in to a 10.5.6 desktop. Although there was an audio pop during the boot, there was no sound and there were no individual hardware elements listed in System Profiler under Audio.

Reloaded the patched audio from my 10.5.5 install and sound is back. So...

Audio, no probs.

Graphics, no probs.

LAN, no probs.

Both my startup HDD (SATA) and my external backup HDD (eSATA) now have orange 'external' drive icons. They used to be grey.

Restart doesn't work now whereas it did under 10.5.5.

Haven't tried shutdown yet but I'm guessing that it won't work either.

EDIT: Used PCWiz's fixer app to sort out restart issues so now both restart and shutdown work. App is here...

http://######.com/index.php?option=...4&Itemid=48

Other than those things, it seems to be running OK. No apparent performance changes one way or the other.

Cheers,

Andy.